Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2022, 14:18   #6016
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_tjet View Post
He acts like he is the owner of flat.
Actually, you seem to be under the wrong impression that you are the owners of the house.
ninjatalli is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 14:26   #6017
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_tjet View Post
Not exactly a pet but this guy comes to our home whenever he wants, cries(makes myriad sound) in front of our door and eats/sleeps as long as he want and leaves.
He acts like he is the owner of flat.
Better treat his majesty to the best of the cat food and toys (a scratching pad is highly recommended !) Just a word of caution - get yourself a rabies shot. Better be safe than sorry ! Also do the spot treatment on him. That'd get rid of any lice on his fur, so you can handle him safely. Make sure you get Cat only treatment and not the universal one. Treatment for dogs is fatal for cats !
Akshay6988 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 17:16   #6018

Well finally something about pets. 👍

I Have a kennel of my own. Which has 5 Golden retrievers of different coats & 2 labradors.

2 fighter aseel hens, ducks, kadaknath chicken, turkeys , leghorns.

Show quality Chinchilla Rabbits

Some Cichlids in the aquarium.

Believe me i had loads of pets of different kinds and breeds. All of them not in the earth today 😢
Faith Aby is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 21:28   #6019
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Eager to know how things go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by One View Post
Please check your DM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
You should first get a vet's opinion on that injury, think this is beyond any of our capability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
* Injury trigger warning NSFW *

Hi AYP sorry if I am being obnoxious but please consult a trusted vet. I've heard of birds who looked ok on the outside but full of maggots on the inside. You don't know how long that wound was open.

Please get him looked at. They will also be able to do recommend you correct food, cage etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Colour does not matter at all. We had all colours. Green and blue are the most common, but we even had one albino, pure white budgie.

They are very characterful birds, and all different. Like people, it will depend entirely on the individuals whether they get on together or not, not the feathers
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrodrive View Post
Hi, glad to see the little fella on its way to recovery. Recessive pied is just a colour mutation, you can buy any colour you like as a companion.
This mutation is a bit hard to sex with certainity during adolescent stage as both males n females can have a pinkish cere. But you can safely go for a male, two male budgies kept together generally do not fight and will sing and court each other all day long. It is the females who are spiteful to each other. Males are the easy going chaps in the budgie world.
The 48 hour update is that it is making some sounds and is eating very well. We let it out of its cage and allowed it to roam freely in the bathroom for a few hours. Tomorrow is most probably the day that we get a new companion for him.

Name:  20220725_110641_1.gif
Views: 413
Size:  1.19 MB

Name:  20220725_110646_1.gif
Views: 413
Size:  1.11 MB

Team-BHPians and their Pets-20220725_124016.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-20220725_124040.jpg

Meanwhile, we can't ignore this guy -

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img20220725wa0043.jpg
AYP is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 21:36   #6020
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
Meanwhile, we can't ignore this guy -
Mate, those eyes are 100% indicating play mode. He reckons he's found someone to "play" with. Hopefully it's with you guys and not the new member of the house.
ninjatalli is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 22:10   #6021
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The 48 hour update is that it is making some sounds and is eating very well. We let it out of its cage and allowed it to roam freely in the bathroom for a few hours. Tomorrow is most probably the day that we get a new companion for him.
Bravo. Cheers.

Quote:
Meanwhile, we can't ignore this guy
Ahhh! the villain out to kidnap the pretty princess.
V.Narayan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 22:42   #6022
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The 48 hour update is that it is making some sounds and is eating very well. We let it out of its cage and allowed it to roam freely in the bathroom for a few hours.
It's looking good.

Please, urgently provide a perch! Even a piece of tree branch or something. They need something to, errm, perch on!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 22:48   #6023
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith Aby View Post
Well finally something about pets.
Faith Aby, welcome to our forum!

Amazing kennel and overall pet collection. Photographs are mandatory, please post plenty of them
Thank you.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 10:50   #6024
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flotsam View Post
My Miniature Schnauzer:

Looking back to my post 12 years ago, I miss my Robin, who passed away in 2010.
And now we have Jill, who came to us in 2015.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-jill01.jpg  

flotsam is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 13:47   #6025
Senior - BHPian

Bongo, my 5 yr old Labrador, wants attention at all times.. even while driving.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-smartselect_20220726111517_whatsapp.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-smartselect_20220726111350_photos.jpg
14000rpm is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 13:48   #6026
BHPian

Was gifted by a friend and its been with us since the last 10 years.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_5558.jpg  

satchit_bhp is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 19:18   #6027
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm right now riding the coat-tails of my neighbor, who is rearing around 8 to 14 cats/kittens (the number varies...some kittens abscond after a few months typically). Few of the kittens come over to our home by crossing the road (risky affair, given the traffic) and we get to play with them and feed them.

But it struck me that the real pain is theirs - they religiously wake up and feed them at 6 AM (I wake up at 8), they assiduously re-stock cat food by shopping for it (I feed them cheap snacks) and they can't even go out of the city; I'm free to do so.

If I ever grow a pet (cat/dog) as a responsible owner in the future -
1) How can I leave town, given that kennels and pet care centers seem to be corrupt/money-minded? I'm hearing that they mistreat our pets left in their temporary care.
2) If I get my own kitten - is it okay to lock it up inside the house? Felines seem to decide to go away based on their whims.
locusjag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 19:51   #6028
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
If I ever grow a pet (cat/dog) as a responsible owner in the future -
1) How can I leave town, given that kennels and pet care centers seem to be corrupt/money-minded? I'm hearing that they mistreat our pets left in their temporary care.
2) If I get my own kitten - is it okay to lock it up inside the house? Felines seem to decide to go away based on their whims.
The answer to your questions vary quite a bit depending if it's a cat or a dog.
My answers to your questions below basis my experiences with my past/current pets (dogs & cats)

For cat/cats
1) Kennels & pet care centers do not work. They are territorial and will not adjust to temporary places, even worse when the known humans are not around. Stick to keeping them at home and instead look at temporary pet-sitters. Or avail service from your maid/servant to feed them every other day and spend an hour in the house to "show" human presence.

2) Yes. Much better situation to have two of them as they will be able to depend on each other. But you'll need them to get used to it; can't start with a kitten/kittens and do that. Maximum suggested time away with zero human presence would be 1 day for one cat; 4 days for a pair; with sufficient food, water and clean litter arranged before hand. Beyond that, you'll be really risking it.

Edit: I'm talking above points wrt fully indoor/domesticated cats. The street ones that come and go (/temporarily stay inside your house) would figure out alternative options when you aren't around.

For dogs
1) Not all of them are bad. Some do offer decent services. Word of mouth / feedback is the way to get options for that. Other option on the travel where feasible - dogs love to travel (if trained/exposed to it from a young pup age).

2) Tough. Would not advise even a full day - they become quite depressed, among other problems.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 26th July 2022 at 19:58.
ninjatalli is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 15:12   #6029
BHPian

My buddy Jacky, he is around 7 years old and have nails long enough to scratch me and my Vento whenever I go home, not sure how to cut his nails.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20220528_075811.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-capture.png
glovins2004 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 17:05   #6030
BHPian

[quote=glovins2004;5367197]My buddy Jacky, he is around 7 years old and have nails long enough to scratch me and my Vento whenever I go home, not sure how to cut his nails.

Take him to your Vet, he'll do it for you, if he's aggressive, let him be sedated, it's okay.
Vinod_nair is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks