Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2022, 23:37   #6031
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovins2004 View Post
My buddy Jacky, he is around 7 years old and have nails long enough to scratch me and my Vento whenever I go home, not sure how to cut his nails.
His nails should be long enough to scratch! He needs to be able to scratch himself.

However, I do share your distress for your paintwork. I have two cats, and I have given up on the idea of ever having a car without their fine scratches in the paint.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 20:56   #6032
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchit_bhp View Post
Was gifted by a friend and its been with us since the last 10 years.
This looks like Indian Star Tortoise, it is a threatened species primarily owning to rampant smuggling out of India as pets and difficulty in breeding these. Also, it is illegal to keep them as pets in India.
motorpsycho is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 21:05   #6033
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
The 48 hour update is that it is making some sounds and is eating very well. We let it out of its cage and allowed it to roam freely in the bathroom for a few hours. Tomorrow is most probably the day that we get a new companion for him.

Attachment 2338296

Attachment 2338297

Attachment 2338298

Attachment 2338299

Meanwhile, we can't ignore this guy -

Attachment 2338300
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrodrive View Post
Hi, glad to see the little fella on its way to recovery. Recessive pied is just a colour mutation, you can buy any colour you like as a companion.
This mutation is a bit hard to sex with certainity during adolescent stage as both males n females can have a pinkish cere. But you can safely go for a male, two male budgies kept together generally do not fight and will sing and court each other all day long. It is the females who are spiteful to each other. Males are the easy going chaps in the budgie world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Mate, those eyes are 100% indicating play mode. He reckons he's found someone to "play" with. Hopefully it's with you guys and not the new member of the house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Bravo. Cheers.

Ahhh! the villain out to kidnap the pretty princess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It's looking good.

Please, urgently provide a perch! Even a piece of tree branch or something. They need something to, errm, perch on!
120 hour update-

1. The injury of our bird is much better now and we can now see hair regrowth over the affected area.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-20220728_115802.jpg

2. We got a new buddy for her. Yes, the shopkeeper confirmed that our original one is a female and we got a male for her. We don't plan to entertain her eggs though.

3. It's been only a few hours that we have got her a buddy and she is already 'singing'. We have never seen her so active until now. The new male though is not as talkative as her as of now. They are both interacting with each other though.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-20220728_192647.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-20220728_192657.jpg

Name:  20220728_193124_1.gif
Views: 347
Size:  1.05 MB

4. We have currently kept them in Toffee's (my cat) carrier. The cage shall be delivered in a day or two. Talking about Toffee, well, we all have our own ways of welcoming the new member of our family -

Team-BHPians and their Pets-20220728_193140.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-20220728_193507.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-20220728_194732.jpg

5. Btw, can budgies be trained to talk? As per our research online, they can be taught to talk but as per the shopkeeper, budgies never speak. Any tips for teaching them would be appreciated.
AYP is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 23:30   #6034
BHPian

Yes mate, I know that its illegal. The tortoise was a gift, I feel sorry for the poor guy, I am still looking for a better place for him where it can find some of his kind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpsycho View Post
This looks like Indian Star Tortoise, it is a threatened species primarily owning to rampant smuggling out of India as pets and difficulty in breeding these. Also, it is illegal to keep them as pets in India.
satchit_bhp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 00:19   #6035
One
BHPian

Quote:
The new male though is not as talkative as her as of now.
Never knew this was a common trait across species
One is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 01:17   #6036
BHPian

Quote:
Talking about Toffee, well, we all have our own ways of welcoming the new member of our family -
Toffee is so damn cute Lucky you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by One View Post
OT: This really cracked me up
Funny is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 01:52   #6037
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Btw, can budgies be trained to talk? As per our research online, they can be taught to talk but as per the shopkeeper, budgies never speak. Any tips for teaching them would be appreciated.
Absolutely they can. My grandmother's budgie used to talk quite a lot, and seemed to have the knack of saying the right things too (it's disputed that they can do this), often avidly enquiring, "Whatcha doing?" when anything unusual happened.

One of our rescue budgies seemed to be on the verge of talking. But (at least this is what we thought in 1960-something) a lone bird is much more likely to learn to mimic its human. Birds that that have bird company don't bother to get beyond their own song.

pyrodrive: am I right about this?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 04:05   #6038
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchit_bhp View Post
Yes mate, I know that its illegal. The tortoise was a gift, I feel sorry for the poor guy, I am still looking for a better place for him where it can find some of his kind.
I know it is difficult to re-home them, as you have raised it for 10 years now and it is accustomed to your home.

When I was a kid, we got a injured tortoise from a truck driver, we had a large fish pond in which we let the tortoise loose. This was pre-internet era, we had no way of knowing what species it was and where its habitat was. It passed away couple of years later, even today I regret not releasing it back into its habitat.
motorpsycho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 08:02   #6039
Distinguished - BHPian

The thread has to be the most dopamine and serotonin inducing section on this forum. Cute cats, naughty dogs, talking budgies, this is incredible.
Red Liner is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 09:49   #6040
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
If I ever grow a pet (cat/dog) as a responsible owner in the future -
1) How can I leave town, given that kennels and pet care centers seem to be corrupt/money-minded? I'm hearing that they mistreat our pets left in their temporary care.
2) If I get my own kitten - is it okay to lock it up inside the house? Felines seem to decide to go away based on their whims.
I have always lived with dogs and cats all my life. Dogs are difficult to leave in outside pet care centers. Many of the Madras centers have horror stories - at least in my area. I used to ask my sister to feed my dogs in my absence but I realized they became sulky and started avoiding food after a couple of days.
So I am forced to leave one of the family members behind for any outstation trips or take my pet with me in my SUV.

Look for B&B places which allow pets and stay there. You have to prepare the car for your pet for a long journey. You can't drive fast with pets aboard - especially slaloming.

Cats are to some extent self sufficient and they can be left outside and you can ask some one to feed them. I have a motion sensor camera set up outside the house and I can watch the person feeding the cat from afar.
Cats need fresh air and never want to be scooped inside a vacant house.
Prowler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 10:02   #6041
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Talking about Toffee, well, we all have our own ways of welcoming the new member of our family
I can easily visualize him spending a long period around/ in front of that carrier. They have so much patience for some of these random reasons.

This was an incident that happened a few weeks ago, when one of the local cats somehow managed to get to the terrace of the adjacent building. Seems like they properly got to see other for the first time and they spent over an hour doing this random staring contest at each other. And then just walked away as if nothing happened over the last hour.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-20220624_085423.jpg
ninjatalli is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 17:41   #6042
BHPian

Here is a pic of my 5 year old Labrador, Hazel.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20210123_114709_222.jpg  

Akash_1806 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 30th July 2022, 02:18   #6043

Meet my babies. These pictures were taken a month back. I take care of them as my own. Since I don't specifically have one pet, I take care of strays including their food, vaccination and medication. Their loyalty is unparalleled and they do get me up on those gloomy days.

Sure, my society is against them but I've mostly taken care of all the laws within the boundaries of my society. There are times when I have to fight some random security guard who thinks it's funny to hit a pup with a stick, or some parents who think that it's alright to let their kid pull these pups by their tails, but I've got a team who's quite well connected with the society members and the builder, and I've built reputation so far. Some people ask whether this "headache" is worth my time and attention.

Definitely.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-screenshot_20220730015953.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-screenshot_20220730020408.jpg  

Aakash is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 30th July 2022, 12:35   #6044
BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely they can. My grandmother's budgie used to talk quite a lot, and seemed to have the knack of saying the right things too (it's disputed that they can do this), often avidly enquiring, "Whatcha doing?" when anything unusual happened.

One of our rescue budgies seemed to be on the verge of talking. But (at least this is what we thought in 1960-something) a lone bird is much more likely to learn to mimic its human. Birds that that have bird company don't bother to get beyond their own song.

Yeah, it won't learn words unless you seperate it from the group and keep it as a pet. The earlier you start the better, I suggest hand rearing a chick (best age to start is when the pin feathers are starting to appear) so that it grows up super tame. It is not difficult, many hand feeding formulas are available in the market now. Previously we had to make do with milk and baby cereal to start with and then move on to soaked and crushed seeds later on. Hand rearing is time consumimg but also extremely rewarding giving one a good insight into the development of the chick from a naked ugly "frog" to a beautiful and sleek bird.
I had a blue one long time back, he liked nothing more than going around perched on my shoulder or head. He learnt to speak a few phrases too. The talking voice of budgies is rather squeaky and rapid, unlike the larger parrot species. Males are more likely to talk since they are naturally more active and are chatterboxes
pyrodrive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2022, 13:30   #6045
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by One View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post
Toffee is so damn cute Lucky you.

OT: This really cracked me up
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
The thread has to be the most dopamine and serotonin inducing section on this forum. Cute cats, naughty dogs, talking budgies, this is incredible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
I can easily visualize him spending a long period around/ in front of that carrier. They have so much patience for some of these random reasons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrodrive View Post
Yeah, it won't learn words unless you seperate it from the group and keep it as a pet. The earlier you start the better, I suggest hand rearing a chick (best age to start is when the pin feathers are starting to appear) so that it grows up super tame. It is not difficult, many hand feeding formulas are available in the market now. Previously we had to make do with milk and baby cereal to start with and then move on to soaked and crushed seeds later on. Hand rearing is time consumimg but also extremely rewarding giving one a good insight into the development of the chick from a naked ugly "frog" to a beautiful and sleek bird.
I had a blue one long time back, he liked nothing more than going around perched on my shoulder or head. He learnt to speak a few phrases too. The talking voice of budgies is rather squeaky and rapid, unlike the larger parrot species. Males are more likely to talk since they are naturally more active and are chatterboxes
Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Eager to know how things go.
1 week update is that the cage is finally here . It shall be hanged outside the window by today or tomorrow-

Team-BHPians and their Pets-20220731_010834.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-20220731_011505.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-20220731_011516.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-20220731_011635.jpg

Here is the link to the cage if someone's interested-

https://www.amazon.in/BURAQ-Parakeet...09W9Q77F6?th=1

I think we are gonna them Lime and Lemon. Lime is on the right whereas Lemon is on the left. Lemon is the original rescue.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-20220731_004925.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-20220731_010950.jpg

Last edited by AYP : 31st July 2022 at 13:38.
AYP is offline   (22) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks