Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2022, 11:39   #6091
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand.shankar82 View Post
We have planned to keep him now as long as her allergy stays in check
Wonderful update. I know it's not an easy decision to make, but it is good to see your daughters taking up the mantle of that decision along with you.

I would suggest investing in brushing equipment and additional (external) grooming services. Maybe a Roomba vacuum cleaner that might help sweeping the house of shedded fur/hair 24X7. Your dog would have a shedding cycle so getting your vet's opinion/inputs would also help. You could train your dog to also avoid specific rooms that could serve as 'safe zones' for your daughter.

Give it time for further observations - you'll get visibility on how it progresses.
ninjatalli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th August 2022, 09:41   #6092
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinod_nair View Post
Sherry black pup and Tipsy sharing morning milk ....Sherry's papa seen in the Hindi movie BALA (most of the initial childhood movie shot in MHS Kanpur where my wife works)
Hello Vinod, It's great to see Sherry and Tipsy together! They make a great pair. Our boxer days are over. After Kluso & Pearl passed away, we realised that we don't have the energy any longer to do what we have done in the past. So, regretfully we have accepted the inevitable.

Once again I'll say that its great to see Sherry and Tipsy getting along so well together.

Best Regards,
Shashanka
shashanka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2022, 23:04   #6093
BHPian

Bought Pintola(Delta Betta) a month back. Initially he clamped fins and seemed stressed. Changed 50% water twice a week and slowly he got better. Now he seems a happy guy reciprocating to actions and also eagerly swimming over to front to when anybody comes over to have a look.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_124501.jpeg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_124601.jpeg  

Maverick Avi is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 11:41   #6094
BHPian

Hi guys, any recommendation on pet seat covers? I can see quite a few products on Amazon but I’m unsure of the quality. I have German shepherd and wanted to get one for my car. Thanks!
Old 7th September 2022, 15:40   #6095
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by manubg92 View Post
Hi guys, any recommendation on pet seat covers? I can see quite a few products on Amazon but I’m unsure of the quality. I have German shepherd and wanted to get one for my car. Thanks!
You would do well to buy one of those thin foam rubber sheets which are covered with cloth which they use for small children or invalid adults.
That will do the job admirably and keep Brother Wolf also comfortable in the car.
This is just a suggestion.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 11:35   #6096
Senior - BHPian

Coco

Hi Guys

Introducing our Miniature Pinscher - Coco (after Coco Channel)
(Bitch - Red)

Team-BHPians and their Pets-coco-3-month-1.jpeg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-coco-3-month.jpeg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-coco-ears-1.jpeg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-coco-den.jpeg

Been with us last 2.5 months. Got her as a puppy of 7 weeks old. Bundle of fun and annoyance , but we are getting there slowly but definitely

Best Regards & Drive Safe
r_nairtvm is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 07:46   #6097
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
You would do well to buy one of those thin foam rubber sheets which are covered with cloth which they use for small children or invalid adults.
That will do the job admirably and keep Brother Wolf also comfortable in the car.
This is just a suggestion.
Thanks will check it out.
Old 21st September 2022, 23:08   #6098
BHPian

Hello folks,

Introducing 2 avid road trippers. They have been footloose well before their first birthdays.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_0482.jpeg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_0560.jpeg
cooldip is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2022, 01:39   #6099
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick Avi View Post
Bought Pintola(Delta Betta) a month back. Initially he clamped fins and seemed stressed.
Hi, your post instantly reminded me of a thread called "My fishkeeping hobby" on this forum. Used to be very active at some point. Do check it out when you have time.
self_driven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2022, 09:48   #6100
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Coco

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Hi Guys

Introducing our Miniature Pinscher - Coco (after Coco Channel)
(Bitch - Red)
Been with us last 2.5 months. Got her as a puppy of 7 weeks old. Bundle of fun and annoyance , but we are getting there slowly but definitely
Pardon my ignorance. Has her tail been cut? If yes, why. Thanks.
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 13:37   #6101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Pardon my ignorance. Has her tail been cut? If yes, why. Thanks.
The tails are docked in certain breeds to confirm to breed standards. Originally certain working breeds had their tails docked to prevent any injury on the field while hunting or working on the farm (cattle stepping on the tails for example). Over the years the kennel clubs (typically the American Kennel Club) have added this requirement to these standards so breeders end up docking the tails as pups. At this point it is simply a cosmetic exercise and what many consider cruelty. Same goes for cropping the ears of breeds like Great Danes and boxers.
Iyencar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 16:12   #6102
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyencar View Post
The tails are docked in certain breeds to confirm to breed standards. ... ... ... At this point it is simply a cosmetic exercise and what many consider cruelty. Same goes for cropping the ears of breeds like Great Danes and boxers.
Definitely cruel and unnecessary.

Do world kennel clubs still support this practice? That would be very unfortunate. I don't know, but I thought that the British Kennel Club has had banned it long ago.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 16:29   #6103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The tails are docked in certain breeds ..... it is simply a cosmetic exercise and what many consider cruelty. Same goes for cropping the ears of breeds like Great Danes and boxers.
Thanks. Sounds cruel & painful. In my ignorance I have always assumed that a tail is like a 5th limb for these animals - dogs, cats, monkeys, cows etc.
V.Narayan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 17:00   #6104
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Sounds cruel & painful. In my ignorance I have always assumed that a tail is like a 5th limb for these animals - dogs, cats, monkeys, cows etc.
Your assumption is correct. My Indian hound uses the tail like a rudder when running at top speed to change direction. None of the native dog breeds have their tail docked even though almost all of them are used for hunting and/or guarding, the exception being the northeastern Tangkhul Hui/Haofa. The tail is docked when the pups are a few days old either using a scalpel or tying a tight tube and cutting of blood flow till the extremity falls off from lack of blood supply. The galling part is a lot of vets and almost no breeder uses anesthesia even in the "developed" world (the argument being the animals are not fully aware of everything at that age).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

Do world kennel clubs still support this practice? That would be very unfortunate. I don't know, but I thought that the British Kennel Club has had banned it long ago.
Atleast the US does. Europe and Australia have banned it if I'm not mistaken.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-hunt.jpg  

Last edited by Iyencar : 23rd September 2022 at 17:08.
Iyencar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th September 2022, 00:37   #6105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally certain working breeds had their tails docked to prevent any injury on the field while hunting or working on the farm (cattle stepping on the tails for example). Over the years the kennel clubs (typically the American Kennel Club) have added this requirement to these standards so breeders end up docking the tails as pups.
Yes this is the explanation for the practice docking the tail - for example MiniPins were bread as a "fast ratter" from Italian Grey Hounds (which are extremely fast) and Dash Hounds (which are small enough to get in to rat burrows and do the job, but was ineffectual on chasing the rats outside and catching them). As a farm working dog the priority was to prevent accidental injury to the animal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

Agree.

Do world kennel clubs still support this practice?
They don't support that practice actively and are accepting the dogs "not docked" as standard for shows and championships etc Docked one are accepted as well - Don't think any major club has banned the practice of "docking", but few countries like Australia and few of EU countries have banned them by legislation

Quote:
Agree to your views. In Case of Coco her tail had been docked on the 7th day after she was born by the breeder, as I understand - I got to her when she was 6 weeks old. Normally MiniPins ears are docked as well to make them stand erect., which is done when they are around 4-6 months. We don't have any such plans for her, and plan to keep her without pain rest of her life

Yes, we are guilty in that I took a "docked pup" but then again we are not living in a perfect world, and if not us someone else would have picked her up.

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 24th September 2022 at 00:44.
r_nairtvm is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks