Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2022, 09:00   #6121
BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Sometimes I wonder how our population will be controlled. What if someone higher than us as a species decide that enough is enough and work out a plan to bring our numbers under control? I wonder how we would react to that. Not to say that the stray dog population shouldn’t be controlled.

But it was our goddamn mistake to begin with like everything else!
Have you watched the Japanese Anime series " Promised Neverland". Its awesome.
Setting
It is the year 2045, and over 1000 years after an agreement called "The Promise" was made to end a long war between humans and demons. "The Promise" was an agreement where each would live in their own separate "worlds": the human world, free from the threat of demons; and the demon world, where human breeding farms were set up to provide food for the demons. By eating humans, demons take on their attributes which prevent them from degenerating into mindless monsters. In the demon world, a special breeding program was set up under the guise of orphanages; there, a human "Mother" would oversee the children to make sure they grew up as intelligent as possible. These children had identifying numbers tattooed on them and had no knowledge of the outside world. They believed that they were orphans and once they reached a certain age or intelligence, they would be taken out for adoption, but were fed to high-ranking demons instead.
From: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Promised_Neverland
GutsyGibbon is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 10:30   #6122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Sometimes I wonder how our population will be controlled. What if someone higher than us as a species decide that enough is enough and work out a plan to bring our numbers under control? I wonder how we would react to that. Not to say that the stray dog population shouldn’t be controlled.

But it was our goddamn mistake to begin with like everything else!
That thought holds consideration for all types of domestication the we as a species practice - poultry, dairy, fishery and not to leave out farming !

OT:
On control of the human species - we don't need a different species to control that. People within our Species have felt themselves entitled enough to attempt that - the CCP leaders, Nazis and Zealots in different garbs. The result has been of quite acceptance, till the problem comes knocking on our door.
whitewing is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 10:33   #6123
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Hello, stray dogs are not feral or wild. They are domesticated dogs who do not get a home.

80% of street pups die in the first 6 months. 90% of strays do not live beyond 6 years on the streets.
Don't know about dogs or cats, but personally I would prefer to live free for 2 years than to live without freedom for 5 years.
Old 18th October 2022, 12:30   #6124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I am afraid that they kill the cats in much the same spirit as my cat kills smaller creatures. Just hunting/fun instinct.
Not all dogs have the intent to kill smaller animals like cat. Some dogs may exhibit such dangerous proclivities, but they quickly get eliminated. In my neighborhood there was a stray dog which hunted cats and even killed my Neighbour's cat. It was quickly 'done' with. In my street we have 2 resident strays which do not target even chickens. Because of their less dangerous behavior they continue to live 'happily' for well over 7 years.

Cats are different animals. Even when they are satiated, they would still hunt.
They hunt for pleasure.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 13:09   #6125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Don't know about dogs or cats, but personally I would prefer to live free for 2 years than to live without freedom for 5 years.
Apologies at the outset for replying. I had thought the discussion about shelters etc. had died, and honestly it needs to die because its derailing the thread.
This is such a weird take and since you quoted me I have to respond.

Aren't you anthromorphizing animals then with your feelings?

And would you be ok living free on the streets from birth for 20 years, instead of a normal social life of say 60? With no access to a home, or medicine, or regular food, and with high chances of getting injured or killed? If yes, more power to you. Maslow would be proud.

I really don't understand the freedom angle and why it's being brought up in a thread about pets. By that logic, all pets should be let free because we're obviously taking away their freedom.

Dogs are literally made by us as companion animals. Most dogs care about their human more than freedom. Many dogs get separation anxiety when away from their home. They can't survive without humans, unless in extreme cases where they revert to feral or wild dogs. Cats not so much, they can still survive but we have changed their habitat so much that they are also closely co-dependent on humans. They are pets at the end of the day.

What it essentially boils down to, is that we see pets and strays differently. When we shouldn't. Its a case of circumstances that one gets a home and one stays on the streets.

My last post on this topic, peace. Thanks.

Last edited by digitalnirvana : 18th October 2022 at 13:11.
digitalnirvana is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 19:05   #6126
Distinguished - BHPian

Wild animals should be free.

Domesticated animals should be sheltered or adopted.

We domesticated them. Our responsibility.

Instead we do the opposite. Cage wild animals and leave domesticated animals to figure out traffic and garbage meals.

Utterly disgusting. As a species we have outlived our usefulness last century.
Red Liner is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 21:22   #6127
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Hi poloman, developed countries do not have strays.
That's because they have animal shelters. The caveat however is that there are 2 kinds of animal shelters. Kill Shelters & no-kill shelters. Kill shelters house animals & try to find someone to adopt the animals. However, lot of animals never get adopted & as & when the shelter gets full, they kill off the oldest to make way to more strays to be sheltered.
Old 18th October 2022, 21:48   #6128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
No, you wouldn't. And if you think you would, you are free to join the homeless on the street any day you chose. That is the life the dogs lead. As I have said before, those who are taken from it are very far from voiceless. If they do not like it, they will absolutely make their feelings felt. With their teeth, if need be.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 02:55   #6129
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
No, you wouldn't. And if you think you would, you are free to join the homeless on the street any day you chose.
Why should I? I already have freedom in my current life. My choice as an adult isn't between just home vs homeless. It's between freedom while homeless vs no freedom while home.
Old 19th October 2022, 09:04   #6130
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: Please only discuss your own pets here. Any discussion on street dogs / their menace etc. will be deleted. Thanks for the support & understanding
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 13:10   #6131

Just came accross this Thread!!

409 pages is a good amount of brainstorming and discussion

I wanted to ask if there is already a thread to discuss on making cars pets friendly!!

I drive a Ford ecosport and Boot Space is the dedicated space for my Lab. He was not comfortable on back seat so we removed the boot tray and now he can sit and sleep there. But I have a challenge of Air circulation in the boot. So looking to see if we can put an AC pipe like I saw in some video. DIY solution for rear AC vent.

Do point out if there are other ideas.
Old 20th October 2022, 11:56   #6132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GauravMajithia View Post

But I have a challenge of Air circulation in the boot. So looking to see if we can put an AC pipe like I saw in some video. DIY solution for rear AC vent.

Get a car fan and install it in a strategic location to cover the area where your pet is. Simple set up which won't cost an arm and easy to implement. If your car's interior is cooled enough, the fan does the job of circulating the cool air.

Never - ever leave the pet inside and walk away for lunch etc. I usually take my pet outside if the engine is going to be switched off for longer than 5 minutes. The car's interior can reach about 40 degree C if parked under the sun - a temperature that can cause serious damage to the animal. Dogs can't lower their core temperature by sweating like we do. Their only way is panting which is not so efficient.
Prowler is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th October 2022, 12:02   #6133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Get a car fan and install it in a strategic location to cover the area where your pet is. Simple set up which won't cost an arm and easy to implement. If your car's interior is cooled enough, the fan does the job of circulating the cool air.
Yea, I think I need to search for the fan in the market.

I do sometimes have to (out of no choice) leave him in car, but I ensure the car is not parked in direct sun and leave all 4 Windows little down as I have sunshades.

I take risk of getting car or things from car stolen but not with my Pet
GauravMajithia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2022, 13:27   #6134
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
So looking to see if we can put an AC pipe like I saw in some video. DIY solution for rear AC vent.

Best leave one window half open if at all he has to be left in the vehicle. Ideally best never to leave him alone in the vehicle. But yes, a simple thing is to mount a small fan on the C Pillar and give it a direct wiring so that it can be switched on even if the car itself is switched off.
Old 20th October 2022, 13:49   #6135
BHPian

Quote:
I drive a Ford ecosport
DIY solution for rear AC vent.
Not sure about an AC vent (possible, but needs quite a lot of changes). As others have suggested, you can first try a 12v fan.

Perhaps something like this: https://www.flipkart.com/otoroys-car...m4a695fa9b98f5

Since the 12v socket in Ecosport is always "live", you can just plug this into the rear 12v socket when your lab is in the car.

The fan can be mounted using 3M double sided tape (or screws if that doesn't work out).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks