Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2023, 20:52   #6166
BHPian

Re: Need help with a stray

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I do not know how to handle dogs and the dog also might be uncooperative at the vet even if I take it.
Thanks for looking out for the poor thing. You're very kind.

Shankar's suggestion is good.

I'd also recommend you to please call up PFA Bangalore chapter and ask for a paravet to come to the location and diagnose any underlying illness, you'll need to be there to spot the dog and point out to the para vet.

https://www.peopleforanimalsindia.org/units/details/11

A regular vet won't come and PFA will generally ask for you to take the dog to the hospital for check up. This is also the right way.

But as you are unable to catch the dog and transport it to PFA, request them if you are willing to bear the costs of a paravet they'll possibly be able to give a contact. I'll be happy to contribute towards the costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
He has since grown into a big dog. Kind hearted and gentle fellow.
Beautiful pupper. Thanks for your kindness Shankar.

If possible please get Mr S to a good home, though it might be difficult and too late for his mum if she's been a stray all her life.

They live twice as long off the streets. And he's only one so he can be trained and re-homed still. Hopefully he gets a chance of getting a loving home.

Last edited by digitalnirvana : 2nd January 2023 at 21:00.
digitalnirvana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2023, 21:25   #6167
BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

For those who see a dog/cat in distress or one that needs to be spayed please contact

http://www.sarvodayavets.org/home.html

Their are several organisations that provide similar service but these guys are exceptional and Dr.Akshay is one of the kindest gentlest vets I have met, and I have interacted with quite a few.
keroo1099 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2023, 05:51   #6168
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)
Re: Need help with a stray

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Beautiful pupper. Thanks for your kindness Shankar.

If possible please get Mr S to a good home, though it might be difficult and too late for his mum if she's been a stray all her life.

They live twice as long off the streets. And he's only one so he can be trained and re-homed still. Hopefully he gets a chance of getting a loving home.
Actually both Stripey and his Mum live around our neighbouring streets. They also run off from time to time to the huge expanse of Army land nearby.
This area is less chaotic and we do have several strays who live here and are generally looked after by most of the residents. Ive seen strays live to a ripe old age here these last 20 years. I do believe these too, will, by the grace of God and our fellow residents.
Neither of these two dogs will ever adapt to a home as they’ve been free too long. They are good friends with my dog and come to rub noses and talk every time I take her for a walk. They are also generally friends with all the other pets who live in this neighbourhood.
shankar.balan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th January 2023, 00:07   #6169
BHPian

Shawarma to the left and Soupstick to the right (in both pics). Female siblings from the same litter, neutered and 2.5 years old now. Collectively known as The Piglets.
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20221203_101320592_portrait.jpg
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20221122_114044809.jpg
Small Bot is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th January 2023, 05:58   #6170

Happy New Year from Jewel!
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-1000011449.jpg  

SuperbNavigator is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 5th January 2023, 08:04   #6171
BHPian

Happy New year from Tipsy and Sherry.
Their mount in the morning to wake up wifey.
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img20230105064022.jpg
A warm room and warm beds.
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img20230104204322.jpg
Vinod_nair is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th January 2023, 23:00   #6172
BHPian

Pet owners of Bengaluru/India, could you please shed some light on this. Is this for real, how common is this? Who are these people spending $2.6M on a large pet that may live 10 years. Can this guy breed with this and make any money on this investment? Do these competitions have monetary value, or is it all pride/ego?
https://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.c...w/96746280.cms
Old 6th January 2023, 13:47   #6173
BHPian

I would actually like to see government banning getting pets which are not suited to the environment in which they are intended to be kept. In the above case, from what I read, this breed is more suited to very cold conditions. To have that dog in our climate is a crime. Either it will spend most of its time indoors in A/C or will be very uncomfortable when outside.

One can buy exotic cars or things but shouldn't be allowed to buy animals not suitable for the climates in which they are intended to be kept just because they are rich.
vamsi.kona is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2023, 14:19   #6174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
Pet owners of Bengaluru/India, could you please shed some light on this. Is this for real, how common is this? Who are these people spending $2.6M on a large pet that may live 10 years. Can this guy breed with this and make any money on this investment? Do these competitions have monetary value, or is it all pride/ego?
https://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.c...w/96746280.cms
In this case, I think it is a clever marketing ploy - since the guy is a breeder. Creates a market of pet owners wanting a ego booster to pay up crazy money to have these exotic breeds.

I remember some years back this guy caused quite a stir by importing IIRC a Tibetian Mastiff for several crores. The local channels had live coverage of him at the airport to take delivery of the dog.
Feel sorry for these pets that need to be kept locked up in A/C rooms to survive.
whitewing is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th January 2023, 00:56   #6175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
In this case, I think it is a clever marketing ploy - since the guy is a breeder. Creates a market of pet owners wanting a ego booster to pay up crazy money to have these exotic breeds.

I remember some years back this guy caused quite a stir by importing IIRC a Tibetian Mastiff for several crores. The local channels had live coverage of him at the airport to take delivery of the dog.
Feel sorry for these pets that need to be kept locked up in A/C rooms to survive.
I really hope the people with the means see how insane this is. Having a large dog bred to live in the cold mountains, only to be locked up in an AC room, and a few Instagram pics is downright cruel.

I know an acquaintance who has a long haired German Shepherd that is always locked up in an AC room at a farm house. That's because the help he hires have no clue about dogs/pets. A sweet pup is now a scared, and super aggressive. The handlers are even more scared of the dog, they feed it through the window, and treat it like a tiger/lion. The owner visits the farm house once a month, and expects per love from the dog. Breeders of these exotics, really need to think long term, and bring customers up to speed with the needs of the dog.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th January 2023, 02:06   #6176
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
I know an acquaintance who has a long haired German Shepherd that is always locked up in an AC room at a farm house. ...
I don't know that I would call a German Shepherd (Alsation) exotic, although perhaps it is in tropical India. They are, however, dogs that can be loving, intelligent, protective friends --- or highly-strung, maladjusted,and even violent animals. Then the dogs get blamed, but the fault is with the owners.

Your acquaintance sounds to me like a person who simply should not have a dog at all.

Very sad.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th January 2023, 18:26   #6177
BHPian

It's animal abuse. I'd report them to the police. Or convince them to give up the dog, so that it gets a chance at a loving home.

A pet is not a toy and is in many ways like a child and carries similar amounts of responsibility, which so many people don't understand.
digitalnirvana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2023, 20:04   #6178
BHPian

Sharing a recent scare I got with my buddy - a noisy daschund.

Since yesterday, he found it difficult to pass stools, and also skipped his meal and was listless most of the day.
Today he experienced pain while trying to pass stools, we got worried and took him to the vet.

Post an x-ray, it was diagnosed that this was due to a couple of bone fragments stuck in the anal canal.
One was extracted by the vet manually - in the process there was minor bleeding as well. There is still one more small fragment deeper in the tract, which didn't budge after an enema, it is now expected to get flushed naturally.
Thankfully, it appears that the damage is limited and should heal in a few days. He's now on light food, laxative and antibiotics to avoid infection.

Was such a relief to see him back to his noisy self within an hour after the visit to the vet.

The incident happened even after feeding him what we thought was the "right" sized bone.

Lesson learnt - in case the dog is a gulper like mine, bones ought to be off the table.
whitewing is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 08:56   #6179
BHPian

My favorite cat again, miss okapi
When you have 14 cats, it is difficult to choose a favorite, but this girl sure is.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20230102_133724.jpg
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20230109_085350.jpg
pyrodrive is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 14:30   #6180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrodrive View Post
My favorite cat again, miss okapi
When you have 14 cats, it is difficult to choose a favorite, but this girl sure is.

Attachment 2401710
Attachment 2401719
14 is a lot. Those furballs must run you ragged! I can handle just two only by some clever zone defence.

Most Viewed