Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2023, 12:36   #6196
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Need your suggestions. I have been a fish guy for almost all of my life and not been into dogs/cats.

A few months back a jet black kitten was roaming around our face and my wife who does not really like cats all that much wanted to chase it away.

A couple of days later she saw the little fella play in the garden with the leaves of fern and my wife was bowled over by that bundle of cuteness

Now it sleeps in a cushion in the shed and gets fed sardines and milk and what not. My kids also love it and my son has named it Jasper. Plays with him, runs with him.

While we have told him not to touch it (?) is there something we should be worried about? Vaccination? How does one go about it?
Just take it to the vet. The vet will help you with the gender and will also administer the vaccine. There are a total of 2 vaccines. 1 is for FVRCP and the other one is for Rabies. During the 1st visit, the vet will administer the 1st FVRCP dose and will do deworming. The second visit is after 4 weeks, during which the vet will administer the 2nd dose of FVRCP followed by a single rabies dose. The total expenditure at a private clinic would be around 2-3k. Post this, it shall become an yearly affair. Do ensure that you have a record of all this.

You shall also need to decide if you wanna keep it with you or not. If you do do end up keeping it, you need to decide if it is going to be an inside cat(recommended) or an outdoor indoor cat. You shall need to decide if you wanna neuter/spay it. If you decide to keep it inside, spaying/neutering is a must. If you decide that it is going to be an outdoor indoor cat, even then I would recommend that you neuter or spay the cat, especially if it is a female. There is always a risk of the cat not returning back to the owner if it is an outdoor indoor cat. Not to forget, the chances of it being attacked by another cat or dog.

If you meant to ask about your vaccination, well if your cat is vaccinated, then you need not worry. If you don't wanna vaccinate it, then it is recommended that cat/dog lovers and those who interact with them on a regular basis get themselves an yearly shot of rabies vaccine. Getting rabies from cat is very rare though.
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2023, 12:44   #6197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
For @ninjatalli's great advice you gotta pay in the currency of this thread - lots of photos.
Here's one I had in my phone. Think my wife should be having more

Just chilling with his ball while eyeing the budgies in the nearby cage. Took photo while watering plants in the terrace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
Just take it to the vet.
Again, please pardon me but not having handled cats before how does one go about doing this? Shall check with a pet boutique nearby.

And it's going to be a 100% outdoor cat only! The other day another cat chased it and this fella climbed onto a tree and as cats do, it froze. Propped a ladder for it and after sometime it managed to climb down.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img20230206wa0023.jpg  

deathwalkr is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th February 2023, 12:58   #6198
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Again, please pardon me but not having handled cats before how does one go about doing this? Shall check with a pet boutique nearby.

And it's going to be a 100% outdoor cat only! The other day another cat chased it and this fella climbed onto a tree and as cats do, it froze. Propped a ladder for it and after sometime it managed to climb down.
You mean how to take it to the vet? Well, if the kitten is very small, you can take it in a shoe box or something. But your kitten looks bigger, you can take it in a vegetable basket or you can buy a cat carrier. A word of caution, most of the cats generally do not like travelling inside a carrier, especially in a car. So be ready to hear a lot of 'help me' and 'take me out' meows.

Also, cats can get a bit lethargic post their vaccine doses. It would be great if you can keep it within your premises for atleast these selected days.

Last edited by AYP : 13th February 2023 at 13:03.
AYP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2023, 13:25   #6199
BHPian

Hello everyone,

Need some advice for farm/guard dogs. I am building a farmhouse / weekend house near Mumbai. The location is slightly secluded and in a wooded area. I was initially planning on adopting local street dogs but I am having my doubts. They get friendly with everyone and people are not afraid of them. Also I have 2 kids and a very aggressive breed might not be preferred.

The farm area is 2.5 acres, I am making a room for pets just outside the villa. My requirement is two robust dogs which can survive outdoors. My friend who owns a farm has 3 Doberman dogs which are on guard duty and doing the job well. The dogs will be cared by the caretaker most of the time except on weekends we visit.

Looking for suggestions on what to do.

couple of pictures of the farmhouse and land around it.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-a7a630cfcaf245979f10fba89bfbab57.jpeg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-367d71d87c524059aa486d271cac1eca.jpeg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-0641294dac594ebfa746a0ff21737ddb.jpeg
tazmaan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2023, 14:00   #6200
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
For @ninjatalli's great advice you gotta pay in the currency of this thread - lots of photos.
+1 on this.

Quote:
That's an easy fix. Look for one of those plastic picnic boxes you'll find in any local store. Or order one online (e.g. 1, 2). Will be useful for all future vet trips.

As for getting it into the box, that's trial and error process. Shouldn't be a big deal atleast for the first time with the easiest option to lure it into the box - food

-----------

@deathwalkr,
He's a cutie! We definitely need more pics. Ask your wife; she'll have loads. Cats/kittens provide loads of opportunities for fantastic images; it's as if they are 100% aware of social media requirements and know how / when to pose.

E.g. my two cats posing 100% for the camera while I was on a call next to them (& unaware of this picture being taken).

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img20221103wa0005.jpg

Last edited by ninjatalli : 13th February 2023 at 14:10.
ninjatalli is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 14th February 2023, 09:42   #6201
BHPian

Please do get the vaccinations without fail. Unlike in the West, our cats can be semi feral and still be pets. We have 8 cats (presently) of which one is fully homebound, being the oldest and also having congenital hip dysplasia. One is strictly a boarder and comes just to get the mixed kibbles we feed our other cats. She is beautiful and tame, also being the granny of all three of our tomcats. There are two females who were abandoned near our house, one of which is just 5 months (estimated) old now. We have had cats for nearly 40 years now, with the numbers peaking at 17 circa 2004.

Now a bit of my own opinion - please get the cat neutered as well as getting it vaccinated. Kerala used to be very bad at small animal care in the 1990s and even now it is very difficult to get people to take cats seriously as pets. We are improving, but still find it difficult to find doctors accessible as they are in cities. As you are in TVM, do use the facilities. Cats can be enriching to our lives and far less disruptive than many dogs. One of our cats lived to be 23 years old and moved 4 houses with us, and even survived a fall into a deep well! All the best.
Pennant1970 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th February 2023, 10:03   #6202
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennant1970 View Post
Kerala used to be very bad at small animal care in the 1990s and even now it is very difficult to get people to take cats seriously as pets. We are improving, but still find it difficult to find doctors accessible as they are in cities. As you are in TVM, do use the facilities. All the best.
One of the Senior Veterinary Surgeons in Trivandrum Govt Vet Hosp is my classmate and old friend. Loves animals. Big James Herriot fan too.
PM me and go and meet him as needed.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2023, 10:10   #6203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
Hello everyone,

Need some advice for farm/guard dogs. I am building a farmhouse / weekend house near Mumbai. The location is slightly secluded and in a wooded area. I was initially planning on adopting local street dogs but I am having my doubts. They get friendly with everyone and people are not afraid of them. Also I have 2 kids and a very aggressive breed might not be preferred.

The farm area is 2.5 acres, I am making a room for pets just outside the villa. My requirement is two robust dogs which can survive outdoors. My friend who owns a farm has 3 Doberman dogs which are on guard duty and doing the job well. The dogs will be cared by the caretaker most of the time except on weekends we visit.

Looking for suggestions on what to do
Your farm house looks stunning !! Monsoons will make the surroundings even more attractive.

Coming to the dog part I’ll suggest

1)German shepherd if either you or caretaker could do basic grooming regularly as german shepherds are prone to ear infections and rashes if not maintained properly. If you choose german shepherd go for a short coat one as it is much suitable for summer heat instead of medium or long coat.

2)Doberman are great guard dogs and easy to maintain. They are immune to most of the diseases and if vaccinated and maintained properly could have a long life with you

3)Dogo Argentino - If you are intrested in exotic breeds these make perfect gaurd dogs.
Can easily adapt to the hot climate thanks to the short coat

4)Dashund are perfect watch dogs which can even frustrate wild animals like elephants with their continuous high pitched barking. They are quite good against snakes and rodents too. They make up for their size with high pitched barking and displaying aggressive instinct if threatened.

These are the best gaurd/watch dogs suitable for our climate.

A suggestion on rooms for the dogs - build four side walls at 4ft height and use steel grills for the rest of the area so that the room gets good cross ventilation from all sides and helps to maintain a comfortable temperature. If possible add a fan to the room. If ceilings are made of metal sheets grow some creepers over them so that the heat will be reduced.
Dr Alpha is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th February 2023, 11:51   #6204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
PM me and go and meet him as needed.
Thanks for the offer - however, I am in Palakkad district and anyway, things have improved over the last decade. Since returning from Chennai in 2018, we started to go to the Govt. Vet clinic in Thrissur - quite a drive, considering the traffic, which makes it almost like a 50 km city drive, even on the state highway! Since about mid-2022, we have found a nearer private clinic with excellent care and fair charges. Even the emergency services at the Govt. vet clinic in our town is very good, though they don't do cat neutering at the moment. This is a far cry from 1998 when a government vet told a neighbour to tie his GS to a coconut tree and tighten the rope if he wanted it put down. Cats and dogs were never even looked at and the "solution" for any overpopulation of dogs especially was culling.

Last edited by Pennant1970 : 14th February 2023 at 11:53. Reason: Minor tweaking of grammar.
Old 14th February 2023, 12:07   #6205
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

It would be nice if more dog aficionados spared some thought and action for our local Indie Dogs.

I have had dogs all my life and a few years ago, when my dog passed, this nice little indie pup came into our home.

And without exaggeration, speaking as a person who has grown up with pets since age zero, these little ones are the absolute best for us here.

Fun to live with
Clean
Hardy
Healthy
Easy to maintain
Loyal
Affectionate
Intelligent
Grateful
Kind

And everyone knows how many there are in India, desperately needing a little care, affection and food.

They are lovely animals. And we need to look after them.
After all they have as much right to live with dignity as we do.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-67297090900f452382ffb1647a90db02.jpeg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-58f4b77bd456427cada0f464113414b4.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 14th February 2023, 13:33   #6206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Fun to live with
Clean
Hardy
Healthy
Easy to maintain
Loyal
Affectionate
Intelligent
Grateful
Kind

And everyone knows how many there are in India, desperately needing a little care, affection, and food.

They are lovely animals. And we need to look after them.
After all they have as much right to live with dignity as we do.
Completely agree

I have two and there's a twist that probably no one has heard. My upbringing has been among dogs, We had Alsatian, Lab, and GS with cousins. All went to heavenly adobe a few years back. I decided to go for Indian this time and I adopted one female from the street in 2020. We decided to add one more in 2021 end. We wanted a black female and have been searching for one for the last few days. on 25th Dec as I was leaving for work in the evening, a tiny black pup with a tail straight like an antenna walking alone just entered our gate. Started roaming around my wife. It was very small, must be around 1 month. It was dark and I knew there was no recent litter near my house, I decided to make it comfortable with an old pillow and see the next day what had to be done. I searched nearby lanes and there was no mother to be found and so I decided to adopt it. Got a vet checkup done.

Now this Black one was a female and we named her Fizz, the elder one was Appy so now we had Appy Fizz. But Fizz was different. From the 1st day, she behaved differently. Remember we had dogs earlier. She did not say a word when she was made to sleep alone whereas most puppies will keep on crying. She was not afraid of loud sounds, or fireworks, and sleep peacefully whereas my other one was up and afraid always. Fizz too would get too anxious when Appy was tied, the only time Fizz would start crying roaming around her and me. Fizz both eyes were constantly wet and dripping. Fizz was also too protective of her area and food. She would pounce on Appy if Appy went near her food or came near when she was sleeping. She was slowly becoming more ferocious than a GS. The only person who could go near her when she was sleeping was me. She could sleep anywhere and in no particular place as its normal for dogs. I felt her IQ was way higher than Appy and she would start smelling the family member first thing as they entered the home.

One day this November I was driving near my home and saw a Jackal. I realised we used to have a lot of jackals in our area. I reached home and searched the internet for the DOG JACKAL mix. Russia had made a few security dogs that are stationed at their Moscow airport. They are a mix of Husky and Jackal with strong smelling senses. Jackals have wet dripping eyes, and the key differentiating feature is that jackals have joint front mid toes. Holy cow, Fizz had most of the features and joined front mid-toe, she was a Dog Jackal hybrid. With very less available content on the internet on Dog Jackal hybrid I could get more info but I can say for sure that Fizz is as smart as any other foreign breed with an attitude of a hunting dog. She is always on alert even when sleeping. Appy on other hand is a typical friendly Indian Pariah, loving, rubbing against the body to show love, asking to be stroked by hand, sitting with her body touching feet.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-whatsapp-image-20230214-1.29.34-pm.jpeg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-whatsapp-image-20230214-1.29.33-pm.jpeg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-whatsapp-image-20230214-1.29.32-pm.jpeg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-whatsapp-image-20230214-1.27.50-pm.jpeg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-whatsapp-image-20230214-1.27.49-pm.jpeg  

drsnt is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 14th February 2023, 13:39   #6207
BHPian

I had a Beagle for 10 years. We lived on the ground floor. A Beagle can be kept in an apartment. Basically you have to train them to poop outside or in a designated place in the apartment. You need a small tray with sand. It can be made of wood, plastic or steel. Similarly the dog can pee in the same tray when required. However, if you train the dog you can take it out in the morning, afternoon and evening/night for a pee. You have to then pick up the poop in a plastic bag. Occasionally you can replace the sand. My daughter has a Beaglier (cross between Beagle and King Charles Spaniel) in Sydney(Aus) and it is quite well adjusted to living in the apartment. It is best to have the dog trained for obedience. Beagles are difficult to train so some patience and persistence is required if you do it yourself. Otherwise get a trainer to do the usual obedience commands like sit, heel, stop etc.

Also, one doesn't do it in India but the dog should be trained to being calm around other dogs and people. In the apartment you don't want the dog to be constantly barking as people move around upstairs or outside the apartment.running
Vaccination and other stuff can be guided by the vet you decide to use.

You will get a lot of pleasure and fun in keeping a Beagle. They are frisky and need a lot of exercise. Take the dog out twice a day for runs at any nearby park or even on the road. Watch out for their habit of sticking their nose to the ground and wandering off as they smell something new and follow the scent. Their noses are extremely sensitive - more so than most other species. Lot's of people have lost or misplaced their Beagles by not being attentive when they are out for walks etc.

I hope you get your Beagle and enjoy these lovely pets. I had such fun with my Beagle for 10 years!!
ashokabs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2023, 15:42   #6208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Is there anyone here who has Beagle as a pet? Especially staying in an apartment. Wanted to know few things about them as a cousin is looking to raise one soon. Been told that Beagle bark incessantly and have a loud one which makes them not viable for apartment living.
We are Beagle parents living in a 3BHK apartment in Mumbai. Beagles are very loving and energetic dogs, they love to play and run around. Our Beagle hardly barks. Visit to Pet Parks once in a while and daily morning and evening walks keeps them happy.

You can DM me if you need more information.
Old 14th February 2023, 16:17   #6209
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennant1970 View Post
Please do get the vaccinations without fail.
Absolutely.
Quote:
Unlike in the West, our cats can be semi feral and still be pets.
No, it is the same. Once the cat goes outside it is a wild creature.

Quote:
Now a bit of my own opinion - please get the cat neutered as well as getting it vaccinated.
My opinion too. In fact it is more than opinion! The world has plenty of kittens. A neutered female will not contribute more. A neutered male will not contribute, and may be more homely and less aggressive. I have lost cats to street dogs, but I have also lost cats to inter-cat aggression. The fights get worse and worse, and the injuries get worse and worse.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2023, 17:25   #6210

Couldn't resist this

Here is Tuffy. My forum name Tuffenberg is one of the many nicknames I have given him - Tuffenberg, Tufftuff, McTuff, etc etc etc

Here is a picture of hum living it up
Team-BHPians and their Pets-tuffycar.jpg
tuffenberg is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks