Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2023, 09:46   #6256
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by udzgodfather View Post
.. I work from home/have my own office, so I won't be leaving the dog alone, I understand that I have to be very careful to meet its needs and that is what I am planning for,.
To add to what Narayan sir said:

The dog will not understand that you will, in the Future, take him to the farm.

Life is here and now, esp for the dog.

If you still want to get the Rottie now, then I will suggest that you have a morning and evening jogging routine where the dog can get it's exercise. This will have to be sufficient - basically, increase in distance as the dog matures.
condor is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 10:25   #6257
Senior - BHPian

Someone's not happy that the eve drive ended
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-20230325_233018.jpg  

Bibendum90949 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 11:38   #6258
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by np23 View Post
If you want a short answer NO, understand its a herding dog, a guard dog, a working dog
I don't have a dog & nor do I plan to have one. This question is purely out of curiosity since I have seen several people with German Shepherds in small Mumbai flats. Is a German Shepherd suitable for a flat or is it also a herding/guard/working dog. From the name Shepherd, I assume it would likely be a herding dog.

A friend of mine has a German Shepherd & the dog is extremely ill behaved to anyone except him. When there are visitors to his home, he has to keep the dog locked up inside a room else the dog will attack the visitors. Even when locked up, the dog barks continuously till the time the visitor leaves. Even when taking the dog for a walk, he has to be extremely careful that it doesn't bite anyone.
carboy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 11:38   #6259
BHPian

Hi,
My humble Betta fish. We have other goldies and gouramies. We live in an apartment. I believe a dog will get suffocated inside a flat. The rules are changing in favour of dogs in apartments.

Regards
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_1804.jpeg  

Dr ST is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 12:19   #6260
BHPian

I owned a Rottie that was gifted to us as a pup. I lived on a 6 acre campus and our Rottie had a 3000 sq yd play area all to himself during the day and the whole campus in the evening.
He was extremely strong and very loving. He liked running and I would be on my bicycle and he would be on a leash pulling me! We would do 2 continuous laps of around 800m each at full throttle before he would even think of slowing down! This was a daily evening ritual, except the rainy season, despite him having a 3000sq yd daytime play area!
Rotties are loving and friendly and extremely majestic dogs but they are generally single-master dogs. They will not harm anybody else in the family but, when aggravated or injured, they will only listen to the master.
Each dog is different and they respond and behave differently to the same kind of training procedures. When you get a pup, you have no idea what kind of behaviour control/modification is possible.
Even at the best of times and under the most suitable conditions, Rottweilers are not easy to take to the Vet, especially if they are injured. My Rottie got injured and had to be taken to the Vet. I had to muzzle him, tie 2 leashes with a harness, and then lift his hind leg so that the Vet could administer anesthesia. There was no way the Vet could inspect his injured foreleg paw without this.
The treatment for his injury went on for 1.5 years but it would not heal. With a heavy heart and inconsolable crying of my whole family,we had to have him put down.
Now I have 4 dogs, all Indies, and all of them got themselves adopted by us by sliding their tiny bodies under the gate to escape other dogs that were tormenting them!

Last edited by Alfresco : 18th April 2023 at 12:23. Reason: Added missing line
Alfresco is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 12:33   #6261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I don't have a dog & nor do I plan to have one. This question is purely out of curiosity since I have seen several people with German Shepherds in small Mumbai flats. Is a German Shepherd suitable for a flat or is it also a herding/guard/working dog. From the name Shepherd, I assume it would likely be a herding dog.

A friend of mine has a German Shepherd & the dog is extremely ill behaved to anyone except him. When there are visitors to his home, he has to keep the dog locked up inside a room else the dog will attack the visitors. Even when locked up, the dog barks continuously till the time the visitor leaves. Even when taking the dog for a walk, he has to be extremely careful that it doesn't bite anyone.
Well my friend, you are correct a German Shepherd is indeed a herding dog, meant to protect the herd, rather inform the shepherd of any danger to sheep, in modern times the flock of sheep has been replaced by his family humans , and that's why they are excellent guard dogs, and always wanting to please.
And yes in a smaller apartment it's not the wisest of ideas.(As per me)

But just as a background, the German Shepherd, has since the past 2-3 decades become 2 distinct breeds for all practical purposes.
The original German Shepherd which most of you might have never seen most likely, but I will attach a few pictures for you, they look rough, not as beautiful (to some) as the Black and Tan ones you see every where, and are presently called the working lines, they are healthy, have straight backs, and hinds and high drive, this is the original German Shepherd as the German bred it, and you can read his book standard on the internet.They are not bred for colours or the exact features but workability and health.

The ones you mostly see today, are the show lines, with much much calmer temperaments, better suited for families not able to be provided the requisite exercise (They are still GSDs and do need their exercises, just lower in comparison), are bred for looks, but unfortunately if you look at their extremely sloping backs, or their hind legs unfortunately being way too bent, you'd know they've ruined the breed for looks, and staying in an apartment just worsens the process.Unfortunaletly with those hinds, their all day long workability has also been compromised.

Caveat, there are some passionate and honest breeders who are breeding Showiness with utmost sincerity and ensuring health testing of their parents, and some even offer guarantees against Genetic Hip or Elbow problems as well degenerative myelopathy however they are far and few in between.(These breeders breed, what in Germany are called as the German showlines , which are dogs bred for looks, temperament but with a focus on basic working and health, which might be the best middle ground for pet families)

The Showlines are again further divided into 2 categories in general , the West German Show Lines (As mentioned above, the healthier and workable variety of Pet show lines) and the American Show lines (Only bred for looks and low drive, usually the most unhealthy having extreme slopes)

The working Lines are usually divided into the Czech Working Lines, DDR Working Lines, West German Lines

Though they look and act like completely different breeds, they are all officially still called German Shepherds only.

All these pictures freely available on the web and belong to their owners, I am only referring to them as a generic reference and I dont individually comment on any of these dogs.
NP
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-6e34799fb1eb1e798b0a7b63c5cd41a4.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-images3.jpeg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-hqdefault.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-ddrgermanshepherd.jpg  

Last edited by np23 : 18th April 2023 at 12:55.
np23 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 14:49   #6262
BHPian

Quote:
Had a word with a friend who owns the Rott, he says that initial first year of training would depict how he is going to be for the rest of his life, so I am trying to have more indepth of knowledge before moving forward.

I am quite fixated on bringing Rottwelier only that's why I am asking.
This is really a bad idea, I currently have a Boerboel ( South African Mastiff ) at home, I stay in a bungalow with ample space for him to move around and still it becomes difficult to keep him stimulated as big dogs need lot of excercise and walks so getting a rottweiler in an apartment is a big NO.

You might be fixated to get a rottweiler but please understand what all that dog will go through by staying in an apartment, instead you can get rottweiler in your other house where you mentioned you have enough space.

Also remember rottweiler will need lot of excercise, long walks, mental and physical stimulation or else they start showing aggressive behaviour and things really go out of hand when huge dogs become aggressive so make sure you have enough time and resources for that before getting a rottweiler home, it's all good till they are puppy but once grown up scenario changes completely so it this is your first time getting a dog consider a smaller breed and if possible consider adopting instead of buying.

Quote:
Thanks for the very detailed answer, I work from home/have my own office, so I won't be leaving the dog alone, I understand that I have to be very careful to meet its needs and that is what I am planning for, I already own a farm land in Udaipur, and few years down the line I would shift there allowing him to have more larger area to enjoy and exercise himself.

See this is what I want to learn more about, I have been mulling on getting the Rottweiler for last 6-7 Months and still want to familiarize myself for what more it is going to need from my side to cater its need.
The problem is dog does not know you will be taking him to a bigger place, 1bhk or any size of flat is not suitable for any large breed, for you to cater the need of a rottweiler you need a spacious home with a garden and lot of time to keep him excercise otherwise you risk contributing to the stigma associated with rottweiler's.
No dog is born aggressive and stigma associated with rottweiler's and pitbull's is wrong because if trained and kept well any breed is a bundle of joy but if not given proper stimulations and not given enough space they will vent out the frustration on your neighbours and guests which will become a nightmare for you.

Last edited by Eddy : 18th April 2023 at 16:46. Reason: Merged. Please use the edit / multiquote functionality instead of back to back posts within 30 mins on the same thread.
Sa!lor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 15:02   #6263
Distinguished - BHPian

I am a cat person. I would happily live without pet responsibility (although they give me a lot of pleasure) but I don't seek them, they arrive.

My mother was a dog person, so I grew up with them (and other assorted creatures). I was born into a house with two Alsations (GSD), mother and daughter. Indeed they are "one-man dogs" and cared for no-one but mum. They certainly never caused me any harm, but nor did they take any interest in me. These dogs of the family were absolutely no fun for the child of the family or friends of the family.

After the demise of the youngest, my mum got a Golden Retriever. What a difference! Not only was she "a bundle of joy" to all (unless threatened) she was also a dear friend to the child: I was still young enough that she identified both of us as youngsters.

Easy dogs, difficult dogs. Even into her 70s and 80s, my mum took on dogs (by then, rescue dogs: she did not want a puppy at that time of her life) that had some difficulty, not so much by breed, but by previous life. Even a poodle can be difficult: she had a very quirky one!

It takes a lifetime of experience to do that. Many dogs are bundles of joy. It is their nature to be delighted by the whole world, especially, but not exclusively, their owners. They come in every size.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 15:48   #6264
BHPian

Great to see this thread - Never knew this. Read a lot of thoughts and agree on most of them.

Pet Parenting is a huge mental responsibility - Acceptance of them in the house is an important factor. Not just us but also the extended family.

While I adore all the breeds, I adopted an abandoned Indie and we love her. There is a definite impact to your mental wellness once you have a pet at home - It improves by leaps and bounds. They do not judge & love you no unconditionally!

Here's our Coco!
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-whatsapp-image-20230418-3.46.59-pm.jpeg  

Sabrish is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 16:11   #6265
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is a German Shepherd suitable for a flat or is it also a herding/guard/working dog. From the name Shepherd, I assume it would likely be a herding dog.

They are herding dogs, guard dogs, etc. Very smart animals!

They love to run about, and need some space - though there are a few outliers : we've had 3 GSDs, of them the youngest is the one who's most happy staying inside but that is more likely due to some trauma he faced when he was a puppy.

Even if indoors - they not only need physical activity, but also need mental stimulation as well through games, big windows, etc.

As for aggression : it boils down to training. Nothing else. None of my 3 dogs have been locked up or kept away from visitors at home. They love to interact with new people and are amazingly smart at making friends!
Heck, they will bark only to ensure they are given attention by friends and family : Our elder GSD at home has hip dysplasia and a few other medical issues due to his genes & age (he will soon turn 11) and even then - he will drag himself to meet guests and get in as much love as possible.

That being said - these breeds also get very anxious, so one has to be careful on walks and the like to ensure they are not provoked; but with proper training and time they are amongst the most loyal and friendly souls out there!
lamborghini is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 16:43   #6266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, I am planning on bringing a Rottweiler home(1 BHK Flat), want to know about the things that I need to take care of before bringing him home.
I would not keep it even in an independent house. They can get agressive and dangerous. A few years ago near Hosur a couple of Rottweilers mauled their owner to death one night in their farmhouse. I don't remember the circumstances but a breed that can do that is a strict no no. I never heard of any other breed doing that. And they can get frustrated in a small apartment.

Quote:
This question is purely out of curiosity since I have seen several people with German Shepherds in small Mumbai flats.
Large breeds should better be avoided in apartments. I had a German Sheperd when we last lived in our independent home surrounded by a small farm (12k sqft total area). Even then I felt the area was a bit small for him though there were no issues. I gave him away to a relative with independent home when we developed the place into an apartment complex.

But a friend of mine had a Doberman in his ground floor 3 bhk apartment. He had no issues either but the dog died when it was about four years old.

Last edited by Sheel : 18th April 2023 at 21:17. Reason: Typo.
Old 18th April 2023, 19:05   #6267
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, I am planning on bringing a Rottweiler home(1 BHK Flat), want to know about the things that I need to take care of before bringing him home.
Bad plan.
Rottweiler is one of the bigger breeds and needs space.
Unless you have a dog park near by where it can get exercise, it will end up being cranky and difficult to train.
If you insist, you should go for smaller breeds to be accommodated in a 1 BHK.
And regular physical exercise if a must.
narmad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 19:10   #6268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr ST View Post
Hi,
My humble Betta fish.
Regards
That is one beautiful angry boy !! I bet he is anything but humble.

I had one in Blue Green Veiltail, but lost it during the covid maddness .
Daughter had named him "Hungry Monster". He would just about eat anything.
We had a steady supply of mosquitoes for him.
narmad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 19:42   #6269

That's our 4 year old GSD, Simba. I am not sure whether this guy is a working line of show line; nevertheless, my learning curve has been super steep since this guy came home. Our conversations with training professionals, breeders, vets and other experts in k9 training and wellness has been helping us enormously.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20200825_15521901.jpeg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20211214_105936.jpg  

facelyft is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 21:25   #6270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by facelyft View Post
That's our 4 year old GSD, Simba. I am not sure whether this guy is a working line of show line; nevertheless, my learning curve has been super steep since this guy came home. Our conversations with training professionals, breeders, vets and other experts in k9 training and wellness has been helping us enormously.
What matters is that he loves you, you love him, and he'd give his life for you in a jiffy, for the record clear show line, nothing better than kids growing up with dogs, learn compassion, service and unconditional love, not to forget a life long best friend, happy woofing my friend
np23 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks