Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Et Cetera
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2023, 17:50   #6361
Senior - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by udzgodfather View Post
Highly offtopic, but would love to see the collection in the cabinet.

Btw very beautiful cat and the carpet.
Haha. Thank you. Yes hes amazing.

For the collection, will share pics on the Scale model thread

Have done it before but will share again.
Old 22nd December 2023, 21:56   #6362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Happy to have adopted him and make him family.

Attachment 2547061
Kimi surely feels at home but would feel even better with the Iceman.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_6002.jpeg
Old 23rd December 2023, 00:18   #6363
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrift@life View Post
Buster looks like you got him off the shelf from a soft toys store. Happy pet parenting.
I think that Buster is the one on the right
Old 23rd December 2023, 05:04   #6364
BHPian

We got a pet cat, was gifted to us by our neighbours after we recently lost one other cat. Team-BHPians and their Pets-20231213_212119.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-20231213_024737.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-20231204_182456.jpg
Old 23rd December 2023, 05:40   #6365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black.beauty View Post
We got a pet cat, was gifted to us by our neighbours after we recently lost one other cat.
With a Windows machine in the background this little cutie would have been Micro and soft, but with the Mac, she/he is certainly the apple of your eye .

Wish you both a long and soothing friendship.
Old 23rd December 2023, 11:40   #6366
BHPian

Hi Friends, I am planning to adopt an Indie Pariah. He will be 2 weeks old by then.

1. May I know what is the vaccination schedule I need to follow ? And what vaccines we need to give him?

2. Any pointers on how to train him? Most of the training centers I enquired don't prefer indie pariah. So planning to do this myself.
Old 23rd December 2023, 12:34   #6367

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerknair View Post
Hi Friends, I am planning to adopt an Indie Pariah. He will be 2 weeks old by then.

1. May I know what is the vaccination schedule I need to follow ? And what vaccines we need to give him?

2. Any pointers on how to train him? Most of the training centers I enquired don't prefer indie pariah. So planning to do this myself.
Congratulations and Thank you for bringing an Indie to your house.

Adopt, Don't shop.

IMHO, 2 weeks is a little too early to get the puppy home. Ideally, if possible, let the puppy be with the mother till they are at least 8 weeks old. The Mother's Milk helps boost the puppies immunity and is considered very important for the first 2 months. She will also teach the puppy some basic life skills. If the Mother is a free roaming dog , you can help by giving her food over the course of the next few weeks so that she is able to produce enough milk for her litter.

On Vaccination schedule, it's extremely important to get the basic vaccinations against like Parvo, Influenza, Distemper, Anti Rabies etc. These generally start around 6 weeks. Some vaccines are given in smaller doses at a gap of 2 weeks. I would advise you to check with your nearest vet for a proper schedule.

Indies are extremely smart creatures. I would strongly advise you against force/punishment based training as that can develop a rebel streak in some dogs which can make the dogs temperamental. Food and praise(verbal cues) based training is something that most dogs respond well to.

To begin with you can look at basic Bathroom Training, Name training.
Next step should be basic commands like sit, come, down , recall training etc. Then it can be Crate training, training for bath/grooming.

Indies are extremely adaptable and will quickly get into a routine with the family and will generally adapt to the energy/activity level of the family/primary caregiver.

Please be careful and evaluate the trainers/training centres and i would generally not recommend boarding based training centres. Have far too many horror stories/experiences about them.
Old 23rd December 2023, 17:20   #6368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerknair View Post

As Rd_maverick has already suggested, find a good vet nearby and stick to vaccination schedule. Do take interest in which brand vaccinations are being used by him. It makes a world of difference as per my own experience. I have a female Indian Pariah too.
Easily trained but too stubborn to follow commands. After successful basic training of doing the daily business and few commands like 'sit', I thought it better to let it be. She started pooping only outside after 3 days of training. Toilet training took a few more days. When young they poop and urinate a lot due to the ypung age. Don't fret over it just have patience. Mostly they stop dirtying indoors by themselves only as they grow up. Never hit them, they mind a lot Do post pics someday here.
Old 24th December 2023, 15:50   #6369
Distinguished - BHPian

I've got to ask - what do cat owners think about the effect of fur and/or feline saliva on their family's health? My family has vetoed my desire to have an indoor cat because of a couple of first-hand horror stories that we've seen - one instance - a cat owner had a massive lung problem; another instance - a cardiologist ordered his patient to give up his cats and dog for adoption. In both cases, it was traumatic for the pet owners to give up their loved pets while I needn't overstate how it was that they ruined their respective health with their pets.
Old 24th December 2023, 16:11   #6370
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
I've got to ask - what do cat owners think about the effect of fur and/or feline saliva on their family's health? My family has vetoed my desire to have an indoor cat because of a couple of first-hand horror stories that we've seen - one instance - a cat owner had a massive lung problem; another instance - a cardiologist ordered his patient to give up his cats and dog for adoption. In both cases, it was traumatic for the pet owners to give up their loved pets while I needn't overstate how it was that they ruined their respective health with their pets.
None. Unless you have specific allergies.

Without trying to sound condescending, this is much like asking “should one make a trip to the bathroom, having heard many horror stories of people slipping there and dying “.

Hygiene is important with a indoor cat or otherwise. Cats in fact take hygiene far far more seriously in a single day than any of us can in a single lifetime.
Old 24th December 2023, 16:38   #6371
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
I've got to ask - what do cat owners think about the effect of fur and/or feline saliva on their family's health?
Street cats are short hair while most fancy breeds (like Persians & most others) are long hair. Less hairfall with short hair cats, so if you are worried particularly about hairfall, then a stray would be the best because all strays are short hair cats. Adopt one which is very young like couple of months old or ones who have been touched & fed by ones since that age, so that they trust humans. The great thing about cats is that even the strays are super cute.

About hygiene, cats are probably the cleanest animals I have seen. I have seen cats which have never been bathed by humans their entire life smell better than me, even the stray ones. They clean themselves like 5 times a day. There are some OCD cats who clean themselves even more. They clean themselves right after waking up & after each & every nap (they take lots of naps). They even clean themselves if they wake up in the middle of the night. One of the earliest things a mother cat teaches a kitten is how to clean themselves. I have read their saliva has mild antimicrobial properties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuldagap View Post
Do take interest in which brand vaccinations are being used by him. It makes a world of difference as per my own experience.
Are there good & bad brands? What are they?

Last edited by carboy : 24th December 2023 at 16:42.
Old 24th December 2023, 17:31   #6372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post

My brother started feeding a cat in our building when he used to go down for walks during the Covid lockdown in 2020. The fellow eventually started landing up at my apartment on the 2nd floor.

We then bought a new home and decided to shift. Obviously we couldn't leave him behind because he would surely come to the door even after we moved out.

So decision made. Got him neutered and brought him along to our new home. Since we now live on the 43rd floor, hes become a total house cat. He even learnt to use the litter quickly.

Pl get him vaxxed ASAP if you haven't already, I just lost my ginger cat to feline panleukopenia & it pains me a lot. (He was also neutered but waiting to get vaxxed)
Old 24th December 2023, 17:58   #6373
BHPian

Merry Christmas to all! This is my passive adopted kid Muffin at CUPA Geriatric Center.

He is visually challenged due to age but I think he looks cuter than any reindeer.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img20231223wa0000.jpg  

Last edited by Sidban85 : 24th December 2023 at 18:00.
Old 24th December 2023, 18:08   #6374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post

Are there good & bad brands? What are they?
My vet uses Nobivac. There may be other brands too but I'm not an expert. As per the vet a good vaccine makes a huge difference in keeping diseases away.

Once I was not in a place to approach a good vet and just went to the next available to get my dog vaccinated. I did not even notice if it was some funky brand or not. The vet vaccinated using a generic one. The whole year the dog was with some ailment or the other. Learnt a lesson, although slowly and thereafter made sure to only go to a good vet with proper vaccines/medicines even if it meant missing the dates. Generic vaccines are quite cheap compared to branded ones.
Old 24th December 2023, 19:07   #6375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raihan View Post
Pl get him vaxxed ASAP if you haven't already, I just lost my ginger cat to feline panleukopenia & it pains me a lot. (He was also neutered but waiting to get vaxxed)
Hi raihan I'm very sorry for your loss. Your kitty is a good boy and he'd know that you love him and did your best for him. One day hopefully you'll meet again.

Best.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks