Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2009, 12:11   #721
Senior - BHPian

Beautiful. Amazing color. Whats the name?
Old 13th November 2009, 15:12   #722
BHPian

Scout!!

...and here's my baby. German Shepard. Name Scout!! Love this fella to bits!! he's 7....here he is checking out my sister's pug :-).
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-scout3.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-scout2.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-scout1.jpg  

Old 13th November 2009, 15:26   #723
BHPian

Guys, thank you for your suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque123 View Post
Please confirm if there is excessive hair loss other than the what you have mentioned above. Also confirm if there is pinkishness on many parts of his body. Sometimes the pinkishness can be accompanied by blackish red spots also.If the above symptoms are found in him. Let me know. I have the solution for the problem.
No excessive hair loss (skin showing) in any other part except the 25-paise coin-sized patch on his left-hind leg, below the thigh. This spot is reducing in size with new hair growth, but very slowly. The exposed part of the skin is dry, but not flaky. No pinkishness or blackish spots on the hair-loss spot or anywhere in his body.

However, the hair seems thin (no patches) on his forehead when viewed from the back (eg. when walking him) Also, behind the front leg where the leg meets the body trunk. I'm assuming this is because of his color (jet black) contrasting with his white skin. A similar symptom in a yellow lab will be less evident due to lesser contrast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
Hair loss due to fungal infection is common in monsoons, Does he have red spots too? A anti fungal bath with massage should help.

Enjoy your pet and take lots of photos, this is the best time
No red spots. We do bathe him at least once in three days with a anti-fungal, anti-bacterial shampoo provided by the vet. This has helped in containing the infection and the typical "doggy" smell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
(3) Hair loss- please check with a competent vet whether he has Mange - there are two types of mange - one is very dangerous to the dog. or he could have an attack of mites in his skin - they will need to do a skin smear test using a microscope.
Try and use gentle shampoo like Himalaya ERINA EP - that usually helps dogs with mites and other skin troubles. It is a completely natural product so safe for the dog. But you must check for some kind of mange to rule it out if nothing else.
Thanks, Shankar. So far, the patch seems to be reducing in size and no other patches have been seen. Apart from my vet, will take a second opinion from another vet.
Old 13th November 2009, 15:28   #724
BHPian

Help needed: urgent : Bangalore

Hi all.

My friend has a tabby cat and her 4 kittens. Unfortunately, she is leaving Bangalore for good and the airlines folks are not allowing her to carry her pets.

Hence, she has decided to give them away.
Please note: All the family should be together.

Anyone interested, please drop me a PM.

Last edited by Jaggu : 13th November 2009 at 18:16. Reason: Removing your friends number, might create issues. Thanks
Old 13th November 2009, 17:59   #725
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
Hi all.

My friend has a tabby cat and her 4 kittens. Unfortunately, she is leaving Bangalore for good and the airlines folks are not allowing her to carry her pets.

Hence, she has decided to give them away.
Please note: All the family should be together.

I dont think she is trying hard enough with the Airline. All Airlines allow pets - if they are properly secured. They are loaded in the cargo bay within a cage. If pets are to be flown internationally, they will be quarantined at the port of entrance for a few days for a couple of tests prior to release.

Highly stressful for the pets, but its definitely a possibility. I would suggest sedating them just this time prior to loading on the flight - letting them sleep all the way through to their destination.
Old 13th November 2009, 18:00   #726
BHPian

(3) Hair loss Duke has lost a patch of hair (size of a 25 paise coin) on his left-rear leg, just below the thigh. When we took him to the vet, the diagnosis was insufficient hygiene which caused a fungal infection. The cure was a anti-fungal lotion and bathing him every 2-3 days. Also, his hair is thinning around the forehead area and in the underbelly area. He has no ticks or worms. How do I ensure regrowth of hair in the patch and prevent more hair loss?

Hi DueLLeR,

i will give you a better way so that you can have the hari re-grown at some loactions, but if you can Message me some answers then i can answer you.

How many days duration you give your pet for the Bath.

what is the shampoo you use,

and how you dry your pet.

based upon this i will give you some tips so that the hair will give a shiny coat as well as it will stop Shedding.
Old 13th November 2009, 18:47   #727
BHPian

Hi SPEEDY_RACER,

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDY_RACER View Post
Hi DueLLeR,

i will give you a better way so that you can have the hari re-grown at some loactions, but if you can Message me some answers then i can answer you.

1. How many days duration you give your pet for the Bath.

2. what is the shampoo you use,

3. and how you dry your pet.

based upon this i will give you some tips so that the hair will give a shiny coat as well as it will stop Shedding.
1. Initially, it was once a week. After the hair-loss, the vet recommended bathing him every two to three days.

2. I don't remember the name right away, but it is a "anti-fungal" "anti-bacterial" shampoo meant for dogs, provided by the vet. I can PM you the names when I get home.

3. We wrap him in a large Turkish towel to absorb the water, but never rub the towel like the way we dry ourselves. Thereafter, we take him for a walk or car ride to complete the drying process.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!
DueLLeR

Last edited by DueLLeR : 13th November 2009 at 18:49.
Old 13th November 2009, 18:57   #728
BHPian

where was this thread hiding from me??
i have a black labrador retriever. Her name is bubbles. She is five and a half years old.
Shes the best thing that ever happened to me and my partner in crime.
Will post pics asap.
Old 13th November 2009, 18:58   #729
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,
I Have a 3 yr old pug and I absolutely adore it.
His name is Zizou , named after Zidane because we bought him the same day he landed the infamous head butt . Attaching few picture's of him.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc00100.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc00104.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc00106.jpg  

Old 14th November 2009, 13:10   #730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DueLLeR View Post
Hi SPEEDY_RACER,

1. Initially, it was once a week. After the hair-loss, the vet recommended bathing him every two to three days.

2. I don't remember the name right away, but it is a "anti-fungal" "anti-bacterial" shampoo meant for dogs, provided by the vet. I can PM you the names when I get home.

3. We wrap him in a large Turkish towel to absorb the water, but never rub the towel like the way we dry ourselves. Thereafter, we take him for a walk or car ride to complete the drying process.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!
DueLLeR
Hi DueLLeR,

The dog will start shedding when it is loosing its Excess Oils in the skin, and some infections will raise after the oils are lost.

so please follow the steps, so that you can avoid shedding.

1. Orally provide Sunflower oil or Olive oil (5 ML to 10 ML) daily.
2. don't give the bath every 2 days, at least once in 1 month or once in two months. to avoid the smell(please mix Glycerin(5 spoons) and Baking Soda(3 spoons) in some 5 liters of water) and once the bath is finished please wet the pet with the Water mixed with glycerin and Baking soda.
3. this will avoid the skin disease and smells and infections if any(please follow the steps which you are currently using to dry the pet)
4. you can use a drug (RIDD(Approx. 10 ml- 100 Rupees- available at all vets)) which is a small bottle of liquid mix it with some 10 liters of water and give a final bath. this also will take care of step 3.

dont use any detergent based shampoo or soap, use always OAT shampoo, it should be mild.

if we use the shampoo which we use that also spoils the skin condition of pet, since that shampoos which we use are supposed to remove the oils, but the pet should have oil in its skin.

hope this helps.

if your pet plays in mud and gets dirty, have a cloth dipped in warm water and then wipe it off, dont give the bath, since the step 2 will take care of the pet some times giving the stinking smell in this winter.
Old 14th November 2009, 15:53   #731
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

handsome wolf he is I must say

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoops View Post
...and here's my baby. German Shepard. Name Scout!! Love this fella to bits!! he's 7....here he is checking out my sister's pug :-).
Old 14th November 2009, 16:53   #732
BHPian

wow!! just noticed this thread. love all the pics. i have a 2 year old daschund called mickey. infact today is his bday!! will post pics soon.
Old 14th November 2009, 23:50   #733
aZa
Senior - BHPian

@Speedracer i think bathing the dog once in 3 days is too much. Once a month or max to max twice a month is more than enough. Dogs have natural oils in the skin/hair, too much of bathing will make them loose these oils and lead to hairfall and dandruff over the period of time. Rashes and dry skin is a side-effect too.

Last edited by aZa : 14th November 2009 at 23:51. Reason: ^^ just saw dueller's reply :)
Old 15th November 2009, 12:20   #734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
@Speedracer i think bathing the dog once in 3 days is too much. Once a month or max to max twice a month is more than enough. Dogs have natural oils in the skin/hair, too much of bathing will make them loose these oils and lead to hairfall and dandruff over the period of time. Rashes and dry skin is a side-effect too.

i with you aZa, but DueLLeR, baths and pet once in 3 days, as per his Vet Prescribed.

and it has got some skin infection,

so my answers were to solve his problem.
Old 15th November 2009, 15:49   #735
BHPian

as i had promised, here are a few random pics of mickey over the years. in the first pic, he is chained as there was some carpentry work going on at home at that moment. since then he is always let free.
oh, and dont let his innocent looks decieve you, hes the devil himself!!
more pics to follow soon depending on your response.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-21122007174.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-21122007175.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-21122007178.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc03191.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc03241.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc03277.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc03281.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc03408.jpg  

Most Viewed