Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2009, 12:57   #796
BHPian

Can anyone from Hyderabad guide me to a good dog accessories shop? I need some toys, neck belts and strong chain for my lab
Old 2nd December 2009, 13:40   #797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
People who are out of the house the whole day without help at home or family at home SHOULD NEVER KEEP PETS.
THIS IS A SERIOUS CRUELTY ISSUE and should be REPORTED IMMEDIATELY.
In my opinion such owners should NOT be encouraged.
Shankar Balan, but how this can be prevented. People out of blind love get their pet home, to realise later that they cannot give it the time it deserves. How many of us think before we plunge into these issues. It's very few I guess.

A pair can solve the lonliness problem to some extent, but in case of puppies err I doubt. Oflate I have been seeing lots of ad's telling, parting with our pet as we cannot devote time, just imagine about the pets how they feel being moved around across homes through out their life's.
Old 2nd December 2009, 16:35   #798
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
People who are out of the house the whole day without help at home or family at home SHOULD NEVER KEEP PETS.
Even I am against locking the pup inside the home during day time. I just wanted to know how people manage when they are out during day time. We had so many dogs in my home in Kerala I know how they feel when you are away even for few hours. I do not have a big fenced lawn around my house. So thinking of giving the pup to my parents in Kerala. Let me also think about leaving the pup with my friend's home during day time.
Old 2nd December 2009, 17:54   #799
BHPian

p>Lets all openly discuss the things we do and we should not which will ensure our pets are very happy.</p>Here is what i do. I have 3 dogs at home and i live in an independent house. The terrace (has raised compounds) with my Saint Bernard and Golden Retriver there. It has 2 kennels there with access to water,shelter and food 24 hours. These 2 have access to the back yard as well. My lab is left infront of the house and also has kennel and water access. I agree he gets a little lesser space compared to the other 2. I keep him separate from the other 2 as the golden and saint bernard are females.
There is a maid also but the dogs are not allowed inside the house when i am away. All the dogs are left inside the house on a turn basis. The main point here is to have space for the dogs and the next point is how much time u spend with them. My dogs are happy.That is what matters.

Last edited by Torque123 : 2nd December 2009 at 18:14.
Old 2nd December 2009, 22:08   #800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Even I am against locking the pup inside the home during day time. I just wanted to know how people manage when they are out during day time. We had so many dogs in my home in Kerala I know how they feel when you are away even for few hours. I do not have a big fenced lawn around my house. So thinking of giving the pup to my parents in Kerala. Let me also think about leaving the pup with my friend's home during day time.
We keep the puppy inside the house during day time. But we manage the show like this.
1. He is fed his breakfast at 8.15 and put in his kennel at 9
He sleeps happily
2. He is taken out for a pee/poo at 11.30 by our maid who comes and opens the door, take him out and put him back after the job. He sleeps again
3. 1 PM myself will return home for lunch, feed him, set him free for an hour and put him back in his kennel.
He sleeps happily again
4. 3.30PM the maid will repeat the 11.30 routine

5. 6.30 we are back at home again to set him free for the day.
we live in a flat. He does not have any issues for being crated.
weekends we do not crate him. Night he sleeps at our bedroom itself.

I have found this routine working well. Maybe if someone who can manage this timing can do the same to keep yourself and your puppy happy.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-ozzy.jpg  

Old 2nd December 2009, 22:28   #801
BHPian

Here is my Marshall Jr. the Rottweiler. He was only couple of months old when we got him. He is so adorable, playful and very protective towards the family. He is 2 yrs now and very very energetic.
We always kept Rottweilers. The Marshall Sr. was 8 yrs old when he left us due to some serious health conditions. We imported him from Germany and he was a very very big guy. I will post pictures of Marshall Sr. sometime soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-2.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-3.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-6.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-1.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-4.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-5.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-7.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-16012009005.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-8.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-snc00065.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-snc00066.jpg  

Old 3rd December 2009, 00:11   #802
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for your suggestions friends! Only way for me is leaving the pup at neighbour/friend's house.

MuzzledMoose - I leave home around 6.30 in the morning and come back at 4.30-5 in the evening. No one will be available @ home during day time.

Nullrock: Your marshal looks really cute.
I have exactly same A|X T-shirt with me:-). Silver shine on the chest !!
Old 3rd December 2009, 00:15   #803
Senior - BHPian

Zweiss... my pet Great Dane. JUst a few days less than three months old, has grown more than six inches in less than a month. Is playful and cute and loves playing with my other two pets; Tyson the Boxer and Max the German Shepherd.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-copy-dsc08047-large.jpg
Old 3rd December 2009, 00:30   #804
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Zweiss... my pet Great Dane. JUst a few days less than three months old, has grown more than six inches in less than a month. Is playful and cute and loves playing with my other two pets; Tyson the Boxer and Max the German Shepherd.

Attachment 238104

are you going to crop the Zweiss ears ? I guess they loook more nice with cropped ears.
Old 3rd December 2009, 00:33   #805
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NullRock View Post
are you going to crop the Zweiss ears ? I guess they loook more nice with cropped ears.
No bud, i feel thats cruel. It involves too much care and stress for the pet and for what cosmetic appearances? i was also told to do the same for my Boxers ears but i declined. Zwiess will be as he was meant to be by nature.
Old 3rd December 2009, 10:09   #806
BHPian

Quote:
No bud, i feel thats cruel. It involves too much care and stress for the pet and for what cosmetic appearances? i was also told to do the same for my Boxers ears but i declined. Zwiess will be as he was meant to be by nature.
V16, with you, 100 + from my side. My vet never persuaded his clients for these cosmetic make over. He was of the opinion, if it is meant to be that way let it be.

We just need to take care of those ears well, hanging long ears are prone to infections and some kind of swelling. Ensure no infection gets in there. That is all we need to ensure. Meanwhile Zwiess looks so cute. Love the innocense in those eyes. Do convery my pat and cuddle to Zwiess.
Old 4th December 2009, 01:55   #807
BANNED

Quote:
Attachment 238104
Looks great! Looking at the paws he is going to be a big guy. also consider having him not on a leash while at home. Especially when you have visitors. This will program the pets to see visitors as people who separate them from their owners/parents. I see this as the main cause for dogs to get aggressive towards visitors. I think I am repeating myself on this thread, but I have seen several of my cousins/relatives constrain their pets and discard behavioral issues as a breed trait.
Old 4th December 2009, 01:59   #808
BANNED

Quote:
Glad we think alike :-) I agree, cropped ears, vocal chords taken out are all just plain wrong. For city dwellers, neutering/spaying is the only necessary procedure that is absolutely needed. (unless you are a breeder)
Old 4th December 2009, 06:42   #809
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
shed some light on watch dogs and their purpose then??
i remember our Doberman used to be left alone to take care of the house (inside the compound but not indoors) with a person who used to feed her 3 times a day while we were out of the country for a week or so.
this was close to 1990's and at that time dog hotels were unknown off.

Dogs like humans are also evolving and they learn to adapt.
But i seriously hate the idea of locking a dog inside a room/house for the whole day without any interaction.
Old 4th December 2009, 20:37   #810
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Attachment 238104
V-16,

Very nice Great Dane! Lovely! Look at those paws! Phew.. judging by the size of 'em I think he's going to grow a whole lot more! Be prepared!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks