BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

what a lovely pair of Alsatian pups!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
My Babies..

Zodi - Left
Zozo - Right (With the blue belt)

GSD - picture was clicked when they were 8 months old i.e- 2 months back.
Will post more pics on Demand
Old 17th February 2010, 15:39   #917
Senior - BHPian

I had posted earlier on this thread when i got my golden retriever back in november. And now after a few months, heres an update.

Now i got a question. When ever shes eating and someone dares to go hear her or call her or pat her, she gets super annoyed and angry and starts growling a lot. Now i know its common with most dogs, but i guess its something that has to be taken car of as it could lead to major probs when she grows up. Any ideas or suggestions on what can be done??
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-1.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-2.jpg  

Old 17th February 2010, 15:49   #918
BANNED

Dogs are quite territorial- female dogs a little more so - plus in my own experience female dogs are slightly more insecure about their grub than males are.

One way of handling this is to feed her occasional treats like biscuits etc by hand. Then place her food in her bowl while she is watching and then step aside for her to get there and eat. Be nearby but not too close. Keep speaking to her in a low calming voice. Its not a bad idea to allow her to lick some food off your hand too - but slowly and carefully.

Useful to keep doing this till she realizes that no one means her any harm and no one is going to take away the food.

But till she is calm, do not put your hand near her food while she is eating - she is bound to bite because she will feel threatened.

One more thing is - sometimes dogs, when they are wolfing down their meat/ bones portion, growl and snarl a bit - this is like a sort of genetic simulation of the 'catch and kill' process which their ancestors used to have to do in the Wild. I ve seen plenty of alsatians do this while worrying a bone and/ or other chewy toy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik247 View Post
I had posted earlier on this thread when i got my golden retriever back in november. And now after a few months, heres an update.

Now i got a question. When ever shes eating and someone dares to go hear her or call her or pat her, she gets super annoyed and angry and starts growling a lot. Now i know its common with most dogs, but i guess its something that has to be taken car of as it could lead to major probs when she grows up. Any ideas or suggestions on what can be done??
Old 17th February 2010, 17:20   #919
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Dogs are quite territorial- female dogs a little more so - plus in my own experience female dogs are slightly more insecure about their grub than males are.

One way of handling this is to feed her occasional treats like biscuits etc by hand. Then place her food in her bowl while she is watching and then step aside for her to get there and eat. Be nearby but not too close. Keep speaking to her in a low calming voice. Its not a bad idea to allow her to lick some food off your hand too - but slowly and carefully.

Useful to keep doing this till she realizes that no one means her any harm and no one is going to take away the food.

But till she is calm, do not put your hand near her food while she is eating - she is bound to bite because she will feel threatened.

One more thing is - sometimes dogs, when they are wolfing down their meat/ bones portion, growl and snarl a bit - this is like a sort of genetic simulation of the 'catch and kill' process which their ancestors used to have to do in the Wild. I ve seen plenty of alsatians do this while worrying a bone and/ or other chewy toy.
That's very strange. Both my German Shepherds are not so crazy about food. They simply dont care to even check what's served. I give them rich food with changes. Different kind of chicken and mutton with rice. like -
lever on Monday,
Chicken 'Neck' on Tues,
Chicken legs on wed,
Pet feast (mixed parts of chicken) on thurs,
One of the item repeated on friday
Mutton Dog food from STar Bazaar on sat n sunday.

All these are mixed with rice or Royal Canine.! buiscuit, chew sticks, Bones etc are gifts to him whenever I come home from office or want to show my love :-)
The Vet (Dr. Pawan) in Indira Nagar finds no problem or worms in their stomach. I still am a bit worried about their health, coz I want them to eat a lot and look good and healthy.

1 of Zozo's recent pic :-) Killer looks
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-zozo.jpg  

Last edited by Ranjan Sharma : 17th February 2010 at 17:23.
Old 17th February 2010, 17:29   #920
BHPian

^^ well my mutt gets very irritated if anyone touches his food!

Team-BHPians and their Pets-image_035.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-image_050.jpg
Old 17th February 2010, 17:38   #921
BHPian

Quote:
Can you please mention the medicine name here? and the link where you found this on net? One of my Dog's diet is going low day by day, doctor says there is no issue with him.... I feel there is.

The VET I visit is "Cessna" in Indira Nagar. Owner is Dr. Pawan (I guess many in Bangalore would know him)
The medicine name is cantel. one tablet per 10 KG weight. It is a multi-spectrum dewormer. My pup is 5 months and 20 KG; so i give him 2 tabs every month
Old 17th February 2010, 17:41   #922
BHPian

Quote:

This is known as food agression. Feed her her most favorite food with your hand initially. Give loads of it so that she feels confident that you will give her food and will not take her food. Also feed her every day same time if possible. This is a good point to start. Make sure she is not underfed also
Old 17th February 2010, 17:47   #923
BANNED

I adopted my GSD Cassie from a friend who couldnt handle her or play with her enough - she was 1 year old or so at the time. She leaps onto her grub and finishes it off in a wink! (she eats from my hand and no one else's)

My Labrador Daisy was adopted from CUPA around 5 years ago because her owner put her out on the street - poor thing. She was about a year old at that time. Even she is quite growly and insecure about her grub even after all these years but she eats from my hand (no one else's). Yet, even now, 5 years later, she still is capable of growling/snapping if even I approach her plate with my hand when she is in the thick of eating her grub.

My oldest - Wolf the GSD (7 years old) came to me when he was 2 months old. He is totally peaceful about grub and is a bit too much of a "gentleman" sometimes - happily allows the other 2 monsters to eat from his plate - except his portion of meat that is.

All the earlier Dogs we've had,(predominantly males and for the most part Alsatians, Dobermanns and the like, have been like Wolf.)

One pet of mine (who passed on in 2007) a Weimaraner named Tina, despite my having had her with me since she was 3 months old onwards, was somehow very insecure about her grub. Used to eat from my hand but in her haste used to connect nice and hard with her teeth on my fingers many a time as well.

I think it is a deep-seated insecurity some dogs develop, sometimes on account of their basic mental make-up OR if they are not treated nicely and kindly when they are small pups.

Our furry fellows diet is unvaryingly balanced and quite simple:

6-615am - Toned Milk, a few slices of Brown Bread and a handful of pedigree nuggetsfor the scrunchy feeling and taste.
12-1215pm - A large portion of Kerala Red Par-Boiled Rice (with the husks on) in a Soup with Meat and Bones and a few carrots - pressure cooked for 35 minutes with a tablespoon of oil (for their coats).
6-615pm - Toned Milk, a few slices of Brown Bread and another handful of pedigree nuggets.

Since they are big dogs they all use large bowls for their food.

In the intervening periods of time they share bits of me and my wifes breakfast, bits of our lunch (if there is meat/ chicken served) and if we are at home, and bits of our dinner too (if there is meat/chicken served).

And like you, when I get home after work I usually give them a chewstick or biscuits or something when I play with them. They love all sorts of bones including chicken bones and spare parts. The two females happily eat fruits and veg as well, but the Wolf wont touch fruit and veg.

They are de-wormed once every 4-6 months and are (by the grace of God) in good health and most important, are a bunch of three happy chaps - always upto some mischief or the other in the house.

Our Vet, Dr Ansar has been looking after these fellows for years and even when he came on Monday last to give them their annual immunization injections, pronounced them to be in perfect condition.

Quote:
That's very strange. Both my German Shepherds are not so crazy about food. They simply dont care to even check what's served. I give them rich food with changes. Different kind of chicken and mutton with rice. like -
lever on Monday,
Chicken 'Neck' on Tues,
Chicken legs on wed,
Pet feast (mixed parts of chicken) on thurs,
One of the item repeated on friday
Mutton Dog food from STar Bazaar on sat n sunday.

All these are mixed with rice or Royal Canine.! buiscuit, chew sticks, Bones etc are gifts to him whenever I come home from office or want to show my love :-)
The Vet (Dr. Pawan) in Indira Nagar finds no problem or worms in their stomach.

1 of Zozo's recent pic :-) Killer looks

Last edited by shankar.balan : 17th February 2010 at 17:49.
Old 17th February 2010, 17:49   #924
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzledMoose View Post
The medicine name is cantel. one tablet per 10 KG weight. It is a multi-spectrum dewormer. My pup is 5 months and 20 KG; so i give him 2 tabs every month
Thanks, Yeah I know this, Have given these to my Dogs.. It comes in a bone shaped packing, right?

M planning to consult a different Vet.
Old 17th February 2010, 18:01   #925
BHPian

Not sure

Not sure if its offtopic but a friend sent me on FB. Its quite cool in my opinion.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-n508224417_2026109_7815.jpg  

Old 17th February 2010, 18:54   #926
BHPian

Don't see many "cats" here. So here goes.

My niece is "testing" to see how "kitty" reacts. I've never seen a cat who loves kids as this one, he is really calm and does't do anything even if my lil niece is pulling his hair out. Having said that, if I try to mess around he will fight back still he will not bite with much force or use his "claws". Its as if he knows if he does he will hurt us.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_1278.jpg

Poor chap died about 2 months back was 9yrs old.
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_1283.jpg

"Chikku" the mad one. This is the crazy one at my wife's home about a year old.
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_2719.jpg

The "mad one" taking a break
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_3227.jpg
Old 17th February 2010, 19:28   #927
Distinguished - BHPian

Pwiggie

Hey yzfrj!

Those are such cute pictures of your cat! Here are some more new ones of mine! These images are a few reasons why I love her:

1. She is absolutely gorgeous

2. She loves dogs (see snoopy!)

3. She keeps me warm when I am asleep

4. She lets me squeeze her (helps me relax!)
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_2759.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_2645.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_2537.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_2641.jpg  

Old 17th February 2010, 19:44   #928
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

This is what a friend of mine who follows this thread has to say (She has brought up about 6-7 dogs herself and currently has 4 boxers around her):

Quote:
he has to sit with her when shes eating - take away her bowl a couple of times - when she growls - a light tap on the face and a stern "NO"
while she' s eating - stroke her - let her continue to eat - keep stroking her - if she growls - again the tap and a stern"NO"

When she stops growling " good girL' and a hug and lots of praise

when she eats her bone - take it awy from her mouth - he has to repeat this behaviour over a couple of weeks to teach her - shes a teriever - very clever so will pick up fast.

the point is to teach to allow humans to touch her food if they want - so that if for example a child comes over and touches her or her food while she's eating - she won't snap if she's taught not to do so when she's a baby
retriever and be very patient and very firm and just a couple of times during her meal - not the whole meal so it doesnt freak her out

do this over a week or so and then repeat as often as u can
@ Shankar, will give you her number, fight with her over the righteousness of the advice directly! I have a kitty, no trouble - they're all pussies
Old 17th February 2010, 20:04   #929
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Hey yzfrj!
Those are such cute pictures of your cat! Here are some more new ones of mine!
Hey...! thanks bro.
I like the 3rd and 4th pic. She is "cute"
Old 18th February 2010, 09:27   #930
BANNED

to each his/her own.
light taps on the muzzle of a dog can indicate to the dog that one is displeased.
a more effective way is to hold the dog firmly by the chin/muzzle, look straight into his/her eyes move his/her head firmly from side to side while saying NO in a Firm voice.
the sheer indignity of this treatment (from the dogs perspective) will make him/her understand that he/she has done wrong and hence is being told off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
This is what a friend of mine who follows this thread has to say (She has brought up about 6-7 dogs herself and currently has 4 boxers around her):

@ Shankar, will give you her number, fight with her over the righteousness of the advice directly! I have a kitty, no trouble - they're all pussies

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks