Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2010, 14:05   #961
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzledMoose View Post
Its a GSD
I think this is very common in GSDs. I was facing exactly the same problem with my GSDs.

I could advice you the same I did. Reduce non-veg food for your dog. They will probably not eat anything the whole day, So, feed Veg stuff by your hand (They will certainly eat from your hand, give whatever). You will have to give time, and feed him probably 10 times a day by hand, because each time, he will eat very less.

Once you have stopped the non-veg, give them some de-worming and digestive tablets. This will clean their stomach, and they will feel hungry. In not more than a week, their food habit will change according to what they are fed. They HATE pedigree for some reason I dont know. Try Royal Canine for GSDs, they love it.
Old 1st March 2010, 23:24   #962
BHPian

My dog Apso Terrier named Shady

Team-BHPians and their Pets-23837_1352573611024_1131911743_31077401_7355194_n.jpg
Old 1st March 2010, 23:34   #963
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayaati View Post
My dog Apso Terrier named Shady

Attachment 298412
Hey shady's eyes are really blue or was it the flash???
Old 3rd March 2010, 02:56   #964

Introducing Sid Vicious

British Bulldog, born 5th Dec. 2000
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-sid.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-sidboy.jpg  

Old 3rd March 2010, 18:05   #965
BHPian

Query

Just the thread I wanted.

Meet my newest friend.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-p2210001.jpg

I had picked this pup off the road about a week back. Had heard loud wails at around 10am, took another half an hour for the other street dogs to move out and for me too swoop down and pick her up.

Have been feeding it and taking good care of it since then. The problem is, I have never had a dog this small before, and never had a pet when staying 2 floors away from the ground.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-p2210003.jpg

Few questions that I have
1. From the looks of it, it is might be just 2 weeks old. How soon can I vaccinate it?

2. There were a lot of lice on it, have managed to clear most of it, but there are still a few more, what’s the easy way to get rid of them? Want something mild enough for the pup.

3. Is it an Indian mongrel or some other breed? (Can take better pics if needed)

4. Is there a good vet in Koramangala / HSR layout / BTM layout that I can take this pup to? Would appreciate if you could give me the phone number, directions, etc.

5. Have been feeding it 4-5 times a day whenever it whines. It usually bread, biscuit soaked in milk. Would this do for now?

Now the major concern is; I am looking for some kind soul who can adopt this baby dog. For now, I have my parents down here, so they keep company when I am at office, I leave at around 8.30am and am back only at around 9pm. I cannot leave it locked in the house all day.

And ever since the pup started using the balcony, the squirrels that I feed are having a problem; they don’t come down and eat like they did earlier, I have tried moving the squirrel's water bowl and grain bowl out into the open, and now I have crows feeding off it.

In short I am in a squeeze. Anybody out there to help me out? Pref some one who can let the dog loose with in the house compound.
I am asking for too much isnt it?

Last edited by Spinnerr : 3rd March 2010 at 18:08. Reason: Correction
Old 3rd March 2010, 20:37   #966
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnerr View Post
Just the thread I wanted.

Meet my newest friend.

Attachment 299839

I had picked this pup off the road about a week back. Had heard loud wails at around 10am, took another half an hour for the other street dogs to move out and for me too swoop down and pick her up.

Have been feeding it and taking good care of it since then. The problem is, I have never had a dog this small before, and never had a pet when staying 2 floors away from the ground.

Attachment 299840

1. From the looks of it, it is might be just 2 weeks old. How soon can I vaccinate it?

2. There were a lot of lice on it, have managed to clear most of it, but there are still a few more, what’s the easy way to get rid of them? Want something mild enough for the pup.

3. Is it an Indian mongrel or some other breed? (Can take better pics if needed)

4. Is there a good vet in Koramangala / HSR layout / BTM layout that I can take this pup to? Would appreciate if you could give me the phone number, directions, etc.

5. Have been feeding it 4-5 times a day whenever it whines. It usually bread, biscuit soaked in milk. Would this do for now?

Now the major concern is; I am looking for some kind soul who can adopt this baby dog. For now, I have my parents down here, so they keep company when I am at office, I leave at around 8.30am and am back only at around 9pm. I cannot leave it locked in the house all day.

And ever since the pup started using the balcony, the squirrels that I feed are having a problem; they don’t come down and eat like they did earlier, I have tried moving the squirrel's water bowl and grain bowl out into the open, and now I have crows feeding off it.

In short I am in a squeeze. Anybody out there to help me out? Pref some one who can let the dog loose with in the house compound.
Sorry for being Harsh, but you should probably not have picked up the puppy from road, specially when it is so small. The Puppy needs his mother and mother's milk. Still, I really appreciate your concern of rescuing it if he was in a bad environment.

1 -> Dont even think about vaccination now. They need it after atleast 45 days of birth.
2 -> Ticks - You can not do anything about it. Only the mother can get the ticks out of a puppy by licking them ever now and then.
3 -> No Idea of the breed.
4 -> There are loads of vets in koromangla, but you don't have to meet them now, there is nothing much they will do.
5 -> Break buiscuit with milk is NOT good, untill he/she is 30 days old. You should only give him milk+ water. Proportion 1:1

Main Concern - You can visit 'Cuppa' in Sanjay Nagar. they will be happy to adopt the puppy. But before doing that, look for his mom and leave him with his Mom..!

P.S -> Don't give him bath, and he needs feeding every 2 hours. This kid is really very small.. so take good care of him.
Old 3rd March 2010, 21:13   #967
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Wait for 45 days

Quote:
Best option is to wipe the dog with kerosene and then bathe it if the problem is too bad, others do not kill me for giving such a suggestion this is a home remedy my grand mom used to follow and its 100% effective and does not harm the dog.

Quote:
Not sure
Quote:
Google and see if you can find a vet but at this age i would advise stay put till its at least 45-50 days old

Quote:

As for the food, buy a ceralac and mix 1/3 of it with 1/3 water and 1/3 milk puppies of this age love it.

Dogs usually adopt to the stituations, their very adjusting nature had made them mans best friend. Make sure you have things to keep it occupaid like a toy and enough food and water, do not chain it.

Quote:
That is one situation my mom also faced with all her pigeons and cats disappearing once our dog came

Quote:

Pramod
Old 3rd March 2010, 22:23   #968
BHPian

I guess you got your answers Spinnerr. But yes no point in taking to a vet till the pup is more than 1.5 months old (for vaccination) perhaps he can help with removing of ticks/fleas before that by applying some solution.

As for food, bread+biscuit for a 2 week old pup? I know you have not had dogs before but c'mon man, pups this old (or rather young) only drink mother's milk. So give it some milk + water combo (preferably cow's milk).

If you decide to keep it yourself, good luck to you.
Old 3rd March 2010, 23:30   #969
Senior - BHPian

Good on you, Spinnerr.A noble deed,and if this dog is in good hands then its definitely a life saved. In all probability, the mother might have abandoned the pup, but do make sure by checking to see if there'r other lil puppies close to where you picked up this lil one.
Milk is the way to go.Avoid anything else. As the pup's appetite increases, increase the milk dosage too and make sure the dog gets to stroll around on a grassy surface every now and then, as this helps in potty training.
Old 4th March 2010, 00:15   #970
BHPian

Here is my DIY aquarium and 9 Goldfish!
Team-BHPians and their Pets-p1020224.jpg
Team-BHPians and their Pets-p1020226.jpg
Team-BHPians and their Pets-p1020270.jpg
Old 4th March 2010, 01:26   #971
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Best option is to wipe the dog with kerosene and then bathe it if the problem is too bad, others do not kill me for giving such a suggestion this is a home remedy my grand mom used to follow and its 100% effective and does not harm the dog.
Kerosene is something which is VERY bad even for human skin. And you are recommending it for dogs???
Old 4th March 2010, 02:49   #972
BHPian

I don't think it's advisable to use kerosene for removing ticks. Some more info on this linky.
Old 4th March 2010, 08:56   #973
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Kerosene is something which is VERY bad even for human skin. And you are recommending it for dogs???
I knew this would happen, that is why i mentioned it as a home remedy followed by my grand mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
I don't think it's advisable to use kerosene for removing ticks. Some more info on this linky.
Look guys i am not arguing about the effects of kerosene on a dogs skin, however its effectiveness against ticks. U do not need to dip the dog in kerosene, just wipe it with it leave it for five minutes and bathe it.

I have never tried this on the 2 dogs i have cause they are tic free already.

Pramod
Old 4th March 2010, 09:14   #974
BANNED

My pets are a bit creepy. We have a house which is over 100 years old and if you sit in the garden in the evening, you'll see 7 of my pets. They're Cobra's. People say that this house always had Cobras roaming around since it was built and till date they have never attacked any occupant of the house or any guest.
Old 4th March 2010, 12:01   #975
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
My pets are a bit creepy. We have a house which is over 100 years old and if you sit in the garden in the evening, you'll see 7 of my pets. They're Cobra's. People say that this house always had Cobras roaming around since it was built and till date they have never attacked any occupant of the house or any guest.
I guess it's just that your paths have'nt crossed. Be careful. Do you have any pictures of 'em?

Last edited by JackSparrow : 4th March 2010 at 12:03.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks