Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2010, 01:34   #1186
BHPian

GSDs are awesome with kids. Not sure about greyhounds.
Old 5th May 2010, 01:55   #1187
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1t1bet View Post
GSDs are awesome with kids. Not sure about greyhounds.
Please, it is a wrong thinking.... Do you know how much an average GSD weighs?
Even 2 men can't handle a GSD if it really goes wild. For a matter of fact, you can't train GSD's completely and they take only 1 man as their master.
Old 5th May 2010, 06:31   #1188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
Please, it is a wrong thinking.... Do you know how much an average GSD weighs?
Even 2 men can't handle a GSD if it really goes wild. For a matter of fact, you can't train GSD's completely and they take only 1 man as their master.
I read that you have two German Shepherd's. I would have thought that you'd have done the research before saying that German Shepherd's aren't good with kids. Only a poorly trained, or completely untrained German Shepherd can go "wild".

They are among the smartest and most easily trainable (because they are smart) dogs out there. Unless you buy a German Shepherd that has been inbred, they are very good with kids (inherently), and they are protective about the whole family of the master. I have seen toddlers riding on their back, pulling their ears, pulling their tails, yet they remained completely in control. You are right to a certain extent about taking one man as their master, but that doesn't mean in the slightest, that they can be dangerous to the rest of the family.

The thing to keep in mind is that training is essential while the pup is young. It's exactly the same with a human child, once it is spoilt or it has picked up bad habits, it is very hard to get rid of them.

@trammway - The German Shepherd is a fantastic dog, in fact, one can hardly get a dog that has done as well as this majestic breed, in India. Trust me on this, they are fantastic with kids, just make sure you take the trouble to train it as a pup. Take your time in choosing a pup with rock solid ancestry data, take a vet to do a good medical check-up and then take the pup home.
Old 5th May 2010, 06:38   #1189
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

I second all that you said in this post
I ve grown up with GSD's all my life - and we've had them in the family for about 25-30 years prior to my arrival on the scene.
They are extremely intelligent, fiercely loyal and excellent with kids. It all depends on how you bring them up. They need constant company, affection, exercise, good grub and care and are worth their weight in gold according to me.
The best breed in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
I read that you have two German Shepherd's. I would have thought that you'd have done the research before saying that German Shepherd's aren't good with kids. Only a poorly trained, or completely untrained German Shepherd can go "wild".

They are among the smartest and most easily trainable (because they are smart) dogs out there. Unless you buy a German Shepherd that has been inbred, they are very good with kids (inherently), and they are protective about the whole family of the master. I have seen toddlers riding on their back, pulling their ears, pulling their tails, yet they remained completely in control. You are right to a certain extent about taking one man as their master, but that doesn't mean in the slightest, that they can be dangerous to the rest of the family.

The thing to keep in mind is that training is essential while the pup is young. It's exactly the same with a human child, once it is spoilt or it has picked up bad habits, it is very hard to get rid of them.

@trammway - The German Shepherd is a fantastic dog, in fact, one can hardly get a dog that has done as well as this majestic breed, in India. Trust me on this, they are fantastic with kids, just make sure you take the trouble to train it as a pup. Take your time in choosing a pup with rock solid ancestry data, take a vet to do a good medical check-up and then take the pup home.
Old 5th May 2010, 07:12   #1190
BANNED

Quote:
Who said only an untrained GSD can go wild?
Do you know that GSDs which help cops, go wild and attacks the owner's/trainer itself while in a pursuit.

I know they won't attack family members but there is a reason behind WHY I said GSD are not safe with kids. Try reading about GSDs and about their characters. They are smart and they know how to get your attention and love. GSDs are dogs extremely jealous against new born babies because they don't like their love divided.

A Dog is an animal which adopts itself according to the environment, but somewhere inside it has a character which comes out once in a while no matter how much you train it.

Not only GSD, but any heavy breed is not safe with kids. It is not because they WON'T attack, a dog does not harm anyone only when it attacks but also when it plays. Dogs are intelligent, but not as intelligent as we are thinking them to be here.

Whoever planning to buy a GSD with a kid at home, think over it 100 times. Even if the dog is playing and hits an object, impact is high.
Old 5th May 2010, 10:37   #1191
BHPian

Quote:

3. Place the cloth at the place (e.g - bathroom) or wherever you want the puppy to potty next time.
Thanks Ranjan.Even my neighbour told me the same thing today morning and he vouched that it works.Going to try this and update soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post

Currently they have beautiful and most active five (4 males and 1 female) pubs up for sale. They quote around Rs.35000, is that a good deal ?

Do you suggest St. Bernard to be grown with small kids say 5 years and 4 years old?

Attachment 342910
go ahead.35k is the normal market price for St.Bernard pups.
The only thing is get your room A/Ced

Quote:
Problem is with the house. Gradually as they started growing up, it was hard for me to get houses to stay. After a search of around 1 month I used to get houses which were not so good, but just that I had my babies, I had to shift. Now after paying a VERY high rate of rent I got a good house with enough space for them.

Keeping 2 dogs, in an apartment is VERY VERY difficult. As they grow up, you will start facing issues. I can't take my dogs out, since I can't control them. If I do, and they run in oposite directions with me catching them in the leash, I will be torn in 2 halfs Good to see someone else getting into my situation also. Whatever it is, You will love it.
I am ready to throw money to keep my pups happy.They are my biggest assests.And yeah GSDs are a bit aggresive so your issues are understandable.
But I have 2 labs with my folks are they have never put them on leash.
In HSR also I see Labs roaming around just like that with their owners and the funny thing is that they are not chained or leashed.They just walk around casually.
I am only worried for my other pet, the golden retriever, as that dude has the habbit of jumping into everyones lab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque123 View Post
Hey Trammway, Be very careful while buying a Saint Bernard pup. Be ready to spend around 5k minimum on the pup every month.
Torquey are you sure its just 5k.As I feel it will be much more than that as they eat and sh!t a lot and require proper environment like air conditioners and not to mention a host of medical care too.

Quote:
Hey just curious. Have you got the puppies registered? I hope you know if someone notifies the cops about your puppies, they can come over to your place and fine you 2000 bucks without prior notice if the puppies are not registered.

It hardly takes 120Rs to get them registered. So go ahead if you haven't done it yet.
Ranjan,
Please explain whom should I contact to get them registered.
Any online links would be helpful too.

Quote:
I guess it depends on the temperment of dogs and specially how they are brought up.I have even seen chained poms getting all wild and messy.
Old 5th May 2010, 10:49   #1192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
They are extremely intelligent, fiercely loyal and excellent with kids. It all depends on how you bring them up. They need constant company, affection, exercise, good grub and care and are worth their weight in gold according to me.
Well said.

Quote:
Do you know that GSDs which help cops, go wild and attacks the owner's/trainer itself while in a pursuit.

I know they won't attack family members but there is a reason behind WHY I said GSD are not safe with kids. Try reading about GSDs and about their characters. They are smart and they know how to get your attention and love. GSDs are dogs extremely jealous against new born babies because they don't like their love divided.

Whoever planning to buy a GSD with a kid at home, think over it 100 times. Even if the dog is playing and hits an object, impact is high.
Well, to answer your question, I said German Shepherd's do not go "wild". So would millions of responsible owners worldwide. I will seriously advice you to not make up things and post.

You claim that a German Shepherd is jealous, to put it plainly, that's a ludicrous statement. To make it worse, if it comes from a owner of - not one but - two German Shepherds. Jealousy is not an emotion usually associated with a dog, much less the German Shepherd. If your dogs are badly behaved, you are as much to blame as them. Remember, it's the same principle as raising a human child, you the owner have to be a responsible owner. Ask any respectable dog breeder, anywhere in the world (I have no qualms in challenging you to this), and the German Shepherd will always be among his top picks for a family dog.

Before replying to this post, read this link: Dog Owner's Guide Profile : The German Shepherd

To quote a statement from the article:

"They make excellent family dogs, because, although they sometimes pick one person as their special person, they can relate well to all members of the household. If they are raised with children, they will develop an abundance of tolerance to the grabbing and poking of tiny fingers."

You also said - "but somewhere inside it has a character which comes out once in a while no matter how much you train it". Funnily enough, if you look at proportions, humans would loose this contest to dogs. I would just say that you need to read up about dogs, specially German Shepherds, being misinformed/ill-informed and then spreading that misinformation is not something you should indulge in.

Last edited by Amartya : 5th May 2010 at 10:51.
Old 5th May 2010, 12:51   #1193
Distinguished - BHPian

I spent my early childhood with two Alsatians (German Shepherd Dogs).

Whilst neither ever meant me any harm, they were not affectionate, either, being really only interested in their one special human --- my mother.

It was a great change for me, after the death of the last alsation, when my parents got a golden retriever. This dog not only adored the whole family, but particularly identified with me as the other youngster in the family.

I do not believe that there is any reasonable comparison between a dog trained as a guard or police dog and one kept as a family pet. Mostly, I find large dogs to be gentler than small, and I'd safer with an alsation than a terrier!

Anyone getting a dog as a companion for children must remember how playful a dog is. Bruises are inevitable, and puppy teeth are like needles! Our retriever used to take my arm in her mouth and shake it, which hurt --- but she never drew blood, or did anything with the intention of hurting me. Dogs are boisterous. If this accepted, they, and the children, will have a great deal of fun. If any family member is squeamish about this, then tension and frustration will result and nobody will be happy. Inoculations should be up to date, in both dogs and children!
Old 5th May 2010, 13:22   #1194
BHPian

I agree to German Shepherds being the 1st choice for a family dog.

My recent posts on this forum, post#1138 & post#1144,
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post1865239
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post1866565
talked about our family dog & his character.

We've had 2 generations of GSD's so far and have had no doubt about them turning on any member of the family.

Of course, a badly trained mutt, be it any breed, would show its ill behaviour with others in the family.

Last edited by Monaro CV8 : 5th May 2010 at 13:25.
Old 5th May 2010, 17:39   #1195
BHPian

[quote=Alter_Ego;1870223]Torquey are you sure its just 5k.As I feel it will be much more than that as they eat and sh!t a lot and require proper environment like air conditioners and not to mention a host of medical care too.
Hey Alter, 5k (minimum)per month is what i mentioned . You are right, Saint Bernards require lot of medical attention. This is only in the case where their diet is not balanced and they do not get the required excercise and do not have free space to move around. I have a saint Bernard and i have not had situations where in i had to pay bills for medical treatment other than the normal vaccinations which all dogs get.
Old 5th May 2010, 17:58   #1196
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

in further defence of the GSD - i have two of them at home.

they are superb pets and first class guard dogs as well.
fiercely loyal as they are, they are probably the most effective deterrent to would be aggressors or other unwelcome people.

I actually love the fact that the GSD inspires respect and fear in equal quantities amongst potential aggressors and other ungodly human beings.

possibly because the GSD has always been associated with the Police/ Security/ Keepers of general Law and Order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
I agree to German Shepherds being the 1st choice for a family dog.
We've had 2 generations of GSD's so far and have had no doubt about them turning on any member of the family.

Of course, a badly trained mutt, be it any breed, would show its ill behaviour with others in the family.
Old 5th May 2010, 18:06   #1197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDY_RACER View Post
Hi All,

there is a small vacation for me to attend on 8th May, and will be back by 11 may, and now a days as its raining i dont want to leave my dog in a kennel(and this fellow doesn't like a kennel in first place)

do any one knows who takes care of our pets in Home. my fellow is a 2 yrs old Labrador very friendly and very cute. i dont have money constraint.

i have left the dog some time ago in kennels and i feel that i haven't made justice by that.

can some one pass on me the contacts. or i will be happy if some one wants to care of this fellow for 3 days.
Does any one know any one who can keep the dog in house not in a kennel.
Old 5th May 2010, 20:56   #1198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDY_RACER View Post
Does any one know any one who can keep the dog in house not in a kennel.

Speedy Racer, Check with Yashbans(http://www.yashbans.com). Heard about them via word of mouth. They took good care of my friends pug.

Kennel or house not sure, but guess its customisable.

Cheers
Old 5th May 2010, 22:20   #1199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by REMU View Post
Speedy Racer, Check with Yashbans(http://www.yashbans.com). Heard about them via word of mouth. They took good care of my friends pug.

Kennel or house not sure, but guess its customisable.

Cheers
Yes i know them, but the problem is that they can handle small dogs.

but the kennel are 3*3 feet in size where a small dog can fit in but for a big dog like Lab, its difficult.
Old 5th May 2010, 22:33   #1200
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
Ranjan,
Please explain whom should I contact to get them registered.
Any online links would be helpful too.
Don't have an Idea about HSR, but I know one in Mahadevpura. Both my dogs were registered from this place. Let me know if you want to come over to Mahadevpura and get your dogs registered, will PM or post the address here.

Quote:
I guess it depends on the temperment of dogs and specially how they are brought up.I have even seen chained poms getting all wild and messy.
Exactly, but the "I-know-everything" kind of people read few pages on internet and claim to know everything. It is these people who will also take a Pom to get trained as sniffers because they think "Training" does it all.

Quote:
Well said.

Well, to answer your question, I said German Shepherd's do not go "wild".
Who cares anyways..

Quote:
If your dogs are badly behaved, you are as much to blame as them. Remember, it's the same principle as raising a human child, you the owner have to be a responsible owner.
"IF"

Quote:
Ask any respectable dog breeder, anywhere in the world (I have no qualms in challenging you to this), and the German Shepherd will always be among his top picks for a family dog.
Go back to my post and read carefully what I wrote. I never denied it is not a family dog, I just said it is not safe if the family has a kid of below 5 years.

Quote:
I would just say that you need to read up about dogs, specially German Shepherds, being misinformed/ill-informed and then spreading that misinformation is not something you should indulge in.
FYI, I have had 6 GSD's till now. All of different characters, so I don't think I need to read on internet about them. These sites are for people who haven't had an experience and want to show their "I-Know-Everything" attitude.

Most Viewed