Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2010, 00:55   #1216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
alter_ego - perhaps you would do well to read James Herriots books if you havent already.

His perspective on animals, their need for companionship and their general antics will give you considerable pleasure and enjoyment.

Anyone who reads his books will automatically begin to empathise more with the animal kingdom and in my opinion these books are life changing.

I was introduced to them by my mum at a very young age and truly I can re-read them again and again even 30 years later and still derive the same pleasure as I got the first time I read them.

am very glad you brought the little chap back because animals, like humans thrive on company. Dogs are "pack" animals in that sense and they get very lonely without friends and/ or people around them.
James Herriot, how glad am I to be reminded of him again. Like you, my parents introduced me to his books when I was quite young. I wanted to become a vet (sometimes I still think that would have been more fulfilling) when I was half way through the first book.

They are fantastic for re-reading as well. Even now, after decades, the stories seem so fresh, so wonderful.
Old 7th May 2010, 01:56   #1217
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
James Herriot, how glad am I to be reminded of him again.
They are fantastic for re-reading as well. Even now, after decades, the stories seem so fresh, so wonderful.
Hey Amartya, please could you give me the name of the best book by him? Although I hate reading would love to do it for my babies.

Guys,

Am planning to bring a Rabbit for my German Shepherds. Anyone? Any Idea if it is a good thing to do?

Last edited by Ranjan Sharma : 7th May 2010 at 02:00.
Old 7th May 2010, 07:05   #1218
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

funny but even i wanted to become a vet after reading herriot
indeed a good friend and classmate of mine did exactly that but I went off at a tangent.
even today i regret not studying to be a vet. id have loved it. but im not so sure about the scene here in india vis a vis the UK where they really love animals for the most part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
James Herriot, how glad am I to be reminded of him again. Like you, my parents introduced me to his books when I was quite young. I wanted to become a vet (sometimes I still think that would have been more fulfilling) when I was half way through the first book.

Old 7th May 2010, 17:54   #1219
Distinguished - BHPian

Of course, Herriot is a romanticised view of the profession, on top of a romanticised view of British rural life in an earlier age --- but I still used to be glued to the TV series, decades ago.

More recently, there was a "reality" series which followed a group of veterinary students all through their college days, and into the profession. That was really amazing, and also, with their failures as well as their successes, also quite a tear jerker at times. There was one Scandanavian girl, who we all loved desperately: she so much wanted to be a vet, but, in her early student days, was often a failure. Yes, she made it in the end (sheesh... wet eyes thinking about all this, soppy idiot that I am), and, along with a couple of the others, became a TV-star vet as well as a professional.

It is a great thing... and so much tougher than human medicine, not only for the variety of species, but because they can't talk.

In the UK, although we love our animals like family members, being a vet does have a lot to do with money. If you go to a vet surgery there, you may think you have walked into Apolo Hospital! There is a huge investment in diagnostic equipment, and a great deal of a vet's life consists of business management. As a young vet, on the other hand, your opportunity is to be a not-very-well-paid employee of a big money-raking partnership, sometimes with as much pressure on you as you might get in a call centre! I had a very good vet there, but he had a very hard time before he was able to set up his own clinic.

vets' bills there are so much that it is common to take out insurance to cover them!

Our vet's clinic in Mylapore was a very different experience for me: little more than a small room and a table! A very humane lady, though, who was both very fond of, and very interested in, all animals and birds. She didn't turn people away who came from the poorer street, either, and I suspect that she had a sliding scale of charges to accommodate them.

Thanks for the reminder of Herriot!
Old 7th May 2010, 21:55   #1220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
Hey Amartya, please could you give me the name of the best book by him? Although I hate reading would love to do it for my babies.
Sure, in my opinion, All Creatures Great and Small is the best one to start with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
funny but even i wanted to become a vet after reading herriot
indeed a good friend and classmate of mine did exactly that but I went off at a tangent.
even today i regret not studying to be a vet. id have loved it. but im not so sure about the scene here in india vis a vis the UK where they really love animals for the most part.
Somehow reminded me of Gandhi's quote:"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated".
Old 8th May 2010, 14:58   #1221
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

Am planning to bring a Rabbit for my German Shepherds. Anyone? Any Idea if it is a good thing to do?
Bring in a Rabbit !!!! And what is that poor chap supposed to do in front of 2 GSDs..entertain them
Old 8th May 2010, 15:03   #1222
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
Bring in a Rabbit !!!! And what is that poor chap supposed to do in front of 2 GSDs..entertain them
ha ha.. No Idea. Have seen few videos on youtube where these rabbits are quite comfortable with GSDs Anyhow they are having a bad time of their life in the cage of the pet shop.

Only problem is Grass. No grass around my house, if I leave them outside will be a feast for the street dogs.
Old 9th May 2010, 10:01   #1223
BHPian

Quote:
ha ha.. No Idea. Have seen few videos on Youtube where these rabbits are quite comfortable with GSDs Anyhow they are having a bad time of their life in the cage of the pet shop.

Only problem is Grass. No grass around my house, if I leave them outside will be a feast for the street dogs.
Do not worry about the grass.That you can buy from Madiwala market for real cheap.The bigger issue is the rabits make a mess of the home and the stench is unbearable.

Anyways uploading some pics of my 2 devils

No one messes with achu and his balls
Team-BHPians and their Pets-_mg_3852.jpg

Ozzy with one of is sheepish looks

Team-BHPians and their Pets-_mg_3858.jpg

Ozzy striking a pose
Team-BHPians and their Pets-_mg_3861.jpg

Achu playing my drumkit with his tail
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_3803.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_3807.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_3823.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_3824.jpg

Playing with the keychain cover

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_3814.jpg

The eternal fight goes on
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_3829.jpg

You are my best friend

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_3838.jpg
Old 9th May 2010, 12:08   #1224
Senior - BHPian

Both are cute. Wow, playing with them would be fun . Long live Achu and Ozzy.
Old 9th May 2010, 12:36   #1225
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
Do not worry about the grass.That you can buy from Madiwala market for real cheap.The bigger issue is the rabits make a mess of the home and the stench is unbearable.

Anyways uploading some pics of my 2 devils
I got the rabbit yesterday

Your puppies are super cute
Old 9th May 2010, 18:22   #1226
BHPian

Hey Alter , really cute puppies. Do they let you sleep at night because I was thinking they might be playing all night now that they have each other for company.
Old 9th May 2010, 20:45   #1227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Both are cute. Wow, playing with them would be fun . Long live Achu and Ozzy.
Thanks Neo.Yeah they are fun to be with.And their energy is infectious.Till they came I used to spend my weekends sleeping like a log.Now I bet I did more work out with them on weekends than I do on weekdays.

Quote:
I got the rabbit yesterday

Your puppies are super cute
Thanks Ranjan.

Buddy do post the pics of the rabbit along with your GSDs.Wanted to have a look at the chap's face

Quote:
Originally Posted by prguru View Post
Hey Alter , really cute puppies. Do they let you sleep at night because I was thinking they might be playing all night now that they have each other for company.
They usually eat a very heavy dinner and are sound asleep by the time I hit the sack.And after I hit the sack , I am sound asleep to even bother what they are doing.

Hey All Lab owners,
My lab pup is shedding more than usual hair.I feel so as my golden retriver is hardly showing any shedding inspite of being the more furry one.

Is this natural for labs as they have double coat or is it due to something else?I mean should I be concerned for this?
Old 9th May 2010, 21:07   #1228
Distinguished - BHPian

I think it is natural for all pups to shed hair - it'll soon have a finer coat.
Old 9th May 2010, 22:17   #1229
BHPian

been reading the thread from the very first page.. it's great. you people have great pets..

however, even i wanted a pet but always thought whether i'd be able to handle 'em or not..
i didn't buy one but my younger cousin brother [who is almost like my real brother] bought one for him..
it's a Guinea Pigg!
his name's Brownie.. these pics i have are about 3 months old and he is about 6 months old.
i just love its patches.. xD
hope you like it..!

P.S. he has gained a lotta wait.. and i mean a LOT!
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-photo0143.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-photo0144.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-photo0145.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-photo0146.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-photo0147.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-photo0148.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-photo0149.jpg  

Old 9th May 2010, 22:41   #1230
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice to see the Guinea Pig --- they are sweet creatures!
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I think it is natural for all pups to shed hair - it'll soon have a finer coat.
I think most fur-covered creatures moult in summer. My cat is doing so at the moment, here in Chennai... you wouldn't think they would need extra fur for a Chennai winter, but they seem to grow it anyhow. Apart from that, they shed some hairs all year , just like we do!

Any fur loss which leads to bare patches, though, calls for an urgent visit to vet.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks