Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2010, 04:06   #1261
BHPian

@ Ranjan: No problems as such, i have enough open space in the apartment for him to play. There are some people in the building who keep on creating issues about keeping pets but that is something that i am able to deal with.

Surprisingly, i didn't find many apartments in Bangalore that allow occupants to keep pets. There are rule books stating no pets!!!!
Old 14th May 2010, 19:19   #1262
BHPian

Guys , I a Newbie and it was wonderful to see a thread dedicated to Peta. I love Dogs, and have owned 3 of them till of now. At present I have a Labrador named "TAPPU". Due to space issues in my apartment he lives with my parents in Agra.
He is 1year 4months old , very notorious and highly emotional dog. He loves my mom so much that I cannot even HUG her in Tappu's presence and he starts barking and pulling my pants. He understands almost anything which my mom speaks in Punjabi and plays with her like kid.
Old 14th May 2010, 21:21   #1263
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by somubj View Post
@ Ranjan: No problems as such, i have enough open space in the apartment for him to play. There are some people in the building who keep on creating issues about keeping pets but that is something that i am able to deal with.

Surprisingly, i didn't find many apartments in Bangalore that allow occupants to keep pets. There are rule books stating no pets!!!!
You bet. Almost 90% of th appartments in bangalore have such rules even for visitors.
Old 15th May 2010, 23:22   #1264
BHPian

So here are the pics of my cat. Her name is 'chiki'. I hope she would not mind if i put her pics on this site

Team-BHPians and their Pets-15052010002.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-15052010004.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-15052010005.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-15052010006.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-15052010007.jpg
Old 16th May 2010, 01:23   #1265
Distinguished - BHPian

Always glad to meet another cat
Old 16th May 2010, 01:29   #1266
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Always glad to meet another cat
Another cat? Are you a cat too..?
Old 16th May 2010, 01:34   #1267
Team-BHP Support

Smart looking cat! But why has it got its tail up like that in the first pic?

White cats are poor hunters apparently - because the fur colour makes it easily visible to its prey.
Old 16th May 2010, 02:28   #1268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Smart looking cat! But why has it got its tail up like that in the first pic?
Dude, I am not a cat so that i can tell why is she doing so !!!
Old 16th May 2010, 03:05   #1269
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
Another cat? Are you a cat too..?
My wife says I am!

Most cats keep their tails up in the air as a sort of normal, confident self-announcing stance. If they don't want to be noticed, or they are afraid, it will go down. During aggression, the whole tail fluffs out like a squirel !
Old 16th May 2010, 19:31   #1270
Team-BHP Support

Urgent help needed

Hi,
Our Dog back home in Ludhiana has been doing reddish stools since today noon. due to sunday no vet is available. Any vets around? Anything immediate we can to to help her. Tomorrow morning first thing we will take her to the vet, but what can we do to help the condition. some website suggested cloves of garlic with food and boiled potatoes.
Any vets here, please give suggestions!
Old 16th May 2010, 19:49   #1271
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
These are accidental pets.
In our apartment there is a balcony where the washing machine is there.
So if we do not wash clothes for couple of days in a row, a pigeon pair used to start building a nest. Everytime I used to throw away the nest, because either they can have a nest, or we can wash clothes.
This was going on for over 6 months. Whenever we used to go for 3-4 days, I had to throw away eggs too(don't cry, there is excess of pigeons in NCR, and they have all but eliminated other species of birds).
This time we went away for a month.As I open the balcony, I see the nest with 2 baby pigeons. I did not want to throw them away. So I picked them up(they were very small), and put then in a shoe box with some cotton. Made them drink water etc, and kept them in a different corner of the same balcony.
Mama pigeon comes and refuses to touch them, and keeps on searching for them in her corner.
For two days I feed them rice, bread and water.
After 2 days the foolish bird realizes these are her kids and starts to sleep in the same box. We give them rice etc. every day, and what you see is 7 days result. One of them is big now, and about to fly away in a week I think. Every time I give it rice or anything, it tries to bite my finger. The younger one is bullied by this one I think.

I'm the biggest pigeon hater you will find on this planet, and by a cruel twist of fate, I am raising two pigeons, and making them fat.
Slightly off-topic for this thread - but I am facing a similiar pigeon problem. My hall has no balconies. It has full length sliding windows & a mosquito net behind it. Then there is a 1 feet ledge & beyond are the metal grills. Whole day pigeons sit on the ledge & **** on the ledge between the sliding windows & the grills.

Is there a solution for it? Few people in the building have put barbed wires
on the grill - this works but looks very unsightly. Is there any solution for this?
Old 16th May 2010, 22:30   #1272
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Slightly off-topic for this thread - but I am facing a similiar pigeon problem. My hall has no balconies. It has full length sliding windows & a mosquito net behind it. Then there is a 1 feet ledge & beyond are the metal grills. Whole day pigeons sit on the ledge & **** on the ledge between the sliding windows & the grills.

Is there a solution for it? Few people in the building have put barbed wires
on the grill - this works but looks very unsightly. Is there any solution for this?
Hey buddy, found this out on net for you. Not sure how practical it is to imply :-

Step-2
Place plastic owls and rubber snakes strategically around your balcony or porch. This may scare the pigeons. You will need to continually move the owls and snakes, or the pigeons will learn that they are harmless and ignore them.

Step-3
Attach shiny streamers, known as Flash Tape, to the roof of your balcony or porch so that they move freely in the wind. A budget alternative to buying Flash Tape is placing old CDs on a string and hanging them from the roof.

Step-4
Install bird netting, found at home-improvement stores, over the area where the pigeons are nesting. Secure the netting with duct tape or build a frame for it.

Step-5
Attach bird spikes to balcony and porch railings or any flat surface. The protruding prongs discourage birds from landing. If you don’t want to buy bird spikes, you can make your own low-cost version. Buy a roll of chicken wire and cut it into several long strips. Attach the cut pieces to railings or other areas with the cut area facing up.

Step-6
Apply bird gel to flat surfaces where your pigeons are likely to land. This sticky substance can discourage pigeons from landing. Bird gel is sold in cartridge form. It is applied using a caulking gun.

Step-7
Try an ultrasonic device. They are a little pricey, but if nothing else works, one of these devices may be able to repel birds from your property. Ultrasonic devices use sound waves to repel pigeons from enclosed or semi-enclosed areas.
Old 17th May 2010, 18:44   #1273
BANNED

Who wants to Mess?????
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-zodieditted.jpg  

Old 17th May 2010, 20:47   #1274
BHPian

We have an animal son, named Tiger Both me and my wife take care of this fellow like our kid.. My wife often goes emotional with him -- motherly love i say !!

Here are the pics, now he is 6.5months old, i got him home when he was about 2 months old. He is an alsatian -- a short coat slim variety among GSD !

He is house trained, but stubborn to obey the house rules! When he is pissed off, he starts pissing everywhere.. thats how he takes revenge on me

In the Bean Bag pic.. he is abt 2.5 months, happily occupied my bean bag, and cozy nap he is having...

In the chair snap .. He is actually trying to figure out how to come down, he finally learnt it after 9 attempts

In the sepia shade snaps, he is 6.5 months old, when we both went for a walk at 11pm, thats his time to poo
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-imag0003.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-imag0017.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-imag0084.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-imag0090.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-imag0121.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-imag0122.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-imag0135.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-imag0140.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-imag0141.jpg  

Last edited by kri$hna : 17th May 2010 at 20:51.
Old 18th May 2010, 12:24   #1275
BHPian

I also have a few questions for fellow BHPians having a GSD !

how is the eating habit of your pet ?
My tiger, eats very little, likes to stay slim and often doesnt show that hunger for food, except if it is Glenand Biscuits !! how to solve this? i tried serving him food for 20 mins and taking it off.. he is absolutely not bothered about it! in fact, he doesnt mind.

How much exercise do you give you pet?
I walk my tiger 3 times/day. once at 6.45 am for 20 mins, 6pm for 45 mins, 10pm for 45 mins again. This to generate hunger, but this fellow is still not hungry !

What do you feed ?
I tried Royal Canin, BestInShow, Pedigree & Science Plan. Nothing works. He likes Natural Trainer (eats may be 1 cup per day) and curd rice only ! ocassionally i give him boiled eggs and he seems to like it. But regular food, is a big headache with this guy.

I just want to get a few behaviour inputs of other GSDs so that i can try and improve my fellow. He stays lean and is hyper active all the time! Often people end up telling me, he look weak, but i feel he doesnt behave weak, so might be in his genes.

Just need some help in this regard

Most Viewed