Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2010, 15:11   #1276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kri$hna View Post
I also have a few questions for fellow BHPians having a GSD !

how is the eating habit of your pet ?
My tiger, eats very little, likes to stay slim and often doesnt show that hunger for food, except if it is Glenand Biscuits !! how to solve this? i tried serving him food for 20 mins and taking it off.. he is absolutely not bothered about it! in fact, he doesnt mind.

How much exercise do you give you pet?
I walk my tiger 3 times/day. once at 6.45 am for 20 mins, 6pm for 45 mins, 10pm for 45 mins again. This to generate hunger, but this fellow is still not hungry !

What do you feed ?
I tried Royal Canin, BestInShow, Pedigree & Science Plan. Nothing works. He likes Natural Trainer (eats may be 1 cup per day) and curd rice only ! ocassionally i give him boiled eggs and he seems to like it. But regular food, is a big headache with this guy.

I just want to get a few behaviour inputs of other GSDs so that i can try and improve my fellow. He stays lean and is hyper active all the time! Often people end up telling me, he look weak, but i feel he doesnt behave weak, so might be in his genes.

Just need some help in this regard
Hey hey there is one person here who goes through what i am also going through. My guy ozzy the gsd is 8 months old now. he had the same issue of being very choosy about his food. The best way is to feed boiled chicken/beef/mutton.( do not mix anything else)
Ozzy is very very choosy about his food. He did not eat pedigree/royal canin/butch/rice/dog biscuts etc. he now eats about 1.2KG ( one bag of precut real good) chicken per day in three portions. You can also give mutton/chicken/beef sausages which will be available in cold storage in super markets. i get them from nilgiris supermarket.
Find out what pooch was fed when it was a pup with its parents. Mostly dogs will eat what they were weaned to very easily. If your pup is not fed properly within 15 months, his growth will get shunted soon.
Old 18th May 2010, 15:18   #1277
BHPian

Random friends made during the recent trip to Bangalore
Team-BHPians and their Pets-17122009041.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-17122009042.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-27122009147.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-27122009148.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-27122009150.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-18122009062.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-27122009145.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-27122009146.jpg
Old 18th May 2010, 16:09   #1278
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
Hey buddy, found this out on net for you. Not sure how practical it is to imply :-
Most them don't seem practical :-)
If I could sit & continously move the plastic owls & snakes, I could as well sit & drive away the pigeons.

Anyway, I contacted PCI (pest control) and they say they can fix netting outside the grill. This netting is specifically for bird problems. However, it's pretty expensive. It's roughly 5000Rs per room. So that works out Rs. 20000 - for 3 rooms + kitchen. They have a 3 year warranty.

I was wondering if anyone has experience with this product or has any other cheaper solution for the pigeon menace?
Old 18th May 2010, 16:59   #1279
BHPian

Derby And Rocky

Hi All,

Find Derby the first one and Rocky the second one . Now Rocky is in my sister's place.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-derbypic.jpg  

Old 18th May 2010, 18:18   #1280
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzledMoose View Post
Hey hey there is one person here who goes through what i am also going through. My guy ozzy the gsd is 8 months old now. he had the same issue of being very choosy about his food. The best way is to feed boiled chicken/beef/mutton.( do not mix anything else)
Ozzy is very very choosy about his food. He did not eat pedigree/royal canin/butch/rice/dog biscuts etc. he now eats about 1.2KG ( one bag of precut real good) chicken per day in three portions. You can also give mutton/chicken/beef sausages which will be available in cold storage in super markets. i get them from nilgiris supermarket.
Find out what pooch was fed when it was a pup with its parents. Mostly dogs will eat what they were weaned to very easily. If your pup is not fed properly within 15 months, his growth will get shunted soon.

1.2KG of chicken everyday? Dude, your dog's lever wil be effected. Whenever dogs intake extra protein or vitamin it harms their lever. Doctosr recommend 250gms of chicken MAX everyday. Moreover, chicken also increases hair loss for dogs. I give my dogs 1/2KG per day, that too only bones (pet feast) not the real chicken which has less bones.
Old 18th May 2010, 19:10   #1281
BHPian

Quote:
1.2KG of chicken everyday? Dude, your dog's lever wil be effected. Whenever dogs intake extra protein or vitamin it harms their lever. Doctosr recommend 250gms of chicken MAX everyday. Moreover, chicken also increases hair loss for dogs. I give my dogs 1/2KG per day, that too only bones (pet feast) not the real chicken which has less bones.
Royal Canin contains 32% protein and is recommended for puppies till 15 months of age. So i dont agree with your view that lever problem can come.

Hair loss can be true since chicken is a food that will increase body heat.
Pet feed is not available in Chennai (anyone?)
Old 18th May 2010, 19:54   #1282
BANNED

Quote:
1.2KG of chicken everyday? Dude, your dog's lever wil be effected. Whenever dogs intake extra protein or vitamin it harms their lever.
Do you have a cite for this? It's very unlikely this is true.
Old 18th May 2010, 22:00   #1283
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzledMoose View Post
Royal Canin contains 32% protein and is recommended for puppies till 15 months of age. So i dont agree with your view that lever problem can come.
I said excessive protein, not 32%. It is up to you to agree or not, am not drilling it in your brain.

The royal Canin you have mentioned has different protein proportion, depending to the breed, age, weight and nature of habitat. There is nothing like 32% fixed amount of protein. Royal Canin for GSD will have different proportions, and Royal Canin for Pitbul will have different proportion.

Same applies to the nature of a dog. If you have a dog which sits at home the whole day with 3-4 walks only daily and eats 1KG of chicken, you are not really feeding it well. You have to understand how much protien the dog is gaining and how much of physical activity involved.

Moreover, it is more about common sense. The digestive system is not something which is completely different from human beings. Imagine you eat 10 protein tablets and sleep the whole day, what will be the effect?

With the feeding habit you have involved your dog in, I bet he will stop eating the chicken and mutton also after 6 months. What will you feed him then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Do you have a cite for this? It's very unlikely this is true.
Cite you can google around, I'm sure you will get enough to read, then deciding whether it is true or not depends on you.

Here is the keyword for google search: Beware Excessive Protein Are Bad For Your Dog's Health

Last edited by Ranjan Sharma : 18th May 2010 at 22:04.
Old 18th May 2010, 22:16   #1284
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Most them don't seem practical :-)
If I could sit & continously move the plastic owls & snakes, I could as well sit & drive away the pigeons.

Anyway, I contacted PCI (pest control) and they say they can fix netting outside the grill. This netting is specifically for bird problems. However, it's pretty expensive. It's roughly 5000Rs per room. So that works out Rs. 20000 - for 3 rooms + kitchen. They have a 3 year warranty.

I was wondering if anyone has experience with this product or has any other cheaper solution for the pigeon menace?
Get a cat and let her loose!
Old 18th May 2010, 23:06   #1285
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Get a cat and let her loose!
How would I get rid of the cat later.
Old 18th May 2010, 23:16   #1286
BANNED

Quote:
Give it for adoption!
Old 18th May 2010, 23:51   #1287
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Why in blazes would you want to get rid of the cat? If thats the case, you deserve to be tortured with the smell of pigeon doo and their blood curdling kurrr kurrr sounds for the next 1000 years

In all seriousness, cats are extremely low maintenance compared to dogs. Just give them some food and a tub of kitty litter if you want to home-school them - or if you let them loose outside, you dont need the kitty litter as well. They will come and leave as they wish.

I prefer to home-school.

And getting rid of the cat after chasing the pigeons away is not going to solve anything. The pigeons are smart and will simply come back. They've been around longer than us humans you know.

Looks like you dont have dogs there. Have you had extended animal companionship before? Or you suffer from a hair allergy? or are you just a very mean cruella de ville kinda person?

Last edited by Red Liner : 18th May 2010 at 23:55.
Old 19th May 2010, 08:46   #1288
BHPian

Hey can somebody help me with an medicine or anything that could stop ticks.

My lab has the tick problem and i do not know what medicine to use.

Have any suggestions??
Old 19th May 2010, 10:07   #1289
Team-BHP Support

You get medicated collars, its a rubber kind of thingie costs about 500 bucks but very effective and lasts for about 6 months. Only thing remove it when you bathe the pet.
Old 19th May 2010, 10:17   #1290
BHPian

Quote:
I said excessive protein, not 32%. It is up to you to agree or not, am not drilling it in your brain.

The royal Canin you have mentioned has different protein proportion, depending to the breed, age, weight and nature of habitat. There is nothing like 32% fixed amount of protein. Royal Canin for GSD will have different proportions, and Royal Canin for Pitbul will have different proportion.

Same applies to the nature of a dog. If you have a dog which sits at home the whole day with 3-4 walks only daily and eats 1KG of chicken, you are not really feeding it well. You have to understand how much protien the dog is gaining and how much of physical activity involved.

Moreover, it is more about common sense. The digestive system is not something which is completely different from human beings. Imagine you eat 10 protein tablets and sleep the whole day, what will be the effect?
Can you tell me what do you feed your GSD and how much ? What is the exercise routine ?

My guy eats very little, may be 1 cup of natural trainer food. I am going to give him 2 eggs per day starting tomorrow, so that he atleast has those along with the kibbles. What diet do you suggest ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr_007 View Post
Hey can somebody help me with an medicine or anything that could stop ticks.

My lab has the tick problem and i do not know what medicine to use.

Have any suggestions??
I bathe my gsd with anti tick shampoo (i think arnibax) and use Notix (anti tick powder) to brush him up every week on a saturday. The notix powder makes him smell good and also keeps the ticks awayy. Often my gsd plays a lot with street dogs and other dogs in the area, but still doesnt have ticks or insects prying on him. Probably due to the powder i use.

just try the notix, i think its not very expensive and my dog likes the smell and gets groomed easily

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks