Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2009, 00:42   #661
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijoy Nair View Post
Wow, wonder how I missed this thread! I've probably got the rarest breed on this thread - A Pashmi Hound. It's part of the Mudhol/ Caravan hound family. Quite rare but one of the finest examples of native Indian dogs.
That is truly a fine dog. Glad to know that some rare indigenous breeds are still surviving though in small numbers.

Cheers,
Old 11th August 2009, 03:09   #662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Haha, yea. He is 2 years, and given how much time it takes to find one, might as well start now and hope to find one by next year. He will be legal to marry then, lol!
I think this forum is the best place for doggy shaadi,as two BHPians will establish a new relation.

Any one with Golden Retreiver pups from Kolkata here? (I think,you can guess my intention )
Old 11th August 2009, 09:04   #663
BHPian

Guys I have a lab puppy 5.5 months old Ozzy. Looking for a nice Lab bitch for him. Please let me know if anyone has a litter. Doesn't he look sad alone.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-dscf0029.jpg  

Last edited by Bazius : 11th August 2009 at 09:16.
Old 18th August 2009, 09:40   #664
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

am truly happy to see someone caring for the pup's needs for companionship like this.
dogs, like humans, thrive on company - if you introduce another little one into his life, both of them will be completely inseparable.
I can see this every day with my three - they keep each other occupied all the time and amuse each other with their antics. After all Dogs are descended from Wolves and they continue to be "pack" animals in that sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazius View Post
Guys I have a lab puppy 5.5 months old Ozzy. Looking for a nice Lab bitch for him. Please let me know if anyone has a litter. Doesn't he look sad alone.
Old 18th August 2009, 15:13   #665
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mituadas View Post
Here is my only pet Swety
Cute pug & pug litter out there buddy. But sad to see Swety tied up.
Old 18th August 2009, 15:55   #666
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
am truly happy to see someone caring for the pup's needs for companionship like this.
dogs, like humans, thrive on company - if you introduce another little one into his life, both of them will be completely inseparable.
I can see this every day with my three - they keep each other occupied all the time and amuse each other with their antics. After all Dogs are descended from Wolves and they continue to be "pack" animals in that sense.
True! But if you can't keep or get a mage from the same species, even two dissimilar species can rock. Like my doggie was very happy with one of my cats. They used to play like nuts. When the cat died, he was quite depressed for quite sometime... and would expect us to play with him instead.

I was not in a position to take care of two dogs, and the cat made up for that extremely well.
Old 18th August 2009, 17:17   #667
BHPian

child age

Hello Friends,

Any experience or suggestion on what should be the correct age of a child to gift him a pup!

Almost decided lab pup for my 3 year old daughter, but confused if she is big enough to handle a pup!

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Regards
Gaurav
Old 18th August 2009, 17:27   #668
Senior - BHPian

A pup is not a "thing" to be "gifted".

Three years is way, way too young an age to be able to take care of another life. Please don't make a pup a toy...
Old 18th August 2009, 17:33   #669
BANNED

yes. we ve also had a number of dogs and cats co-exist happily with each other. no problems there provided they are introduced to each other when they are young. dogs need company all the time - the saddest sight is a lonely dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
True! But if you can't keep or get a mage from the same species, even two dissimilar species can rock. Like my doggie was very happy with one of my cats. They used to play like nuts. When the cat died, he was quite depressed for quite sometime... and would expect us to play with him instead.

I was not in a position to take care of two dogs, and the cat made up for that extremely well.
Old 18th August 2009, 17:45   #670
BANNED

Please note that kids dont really understand the value of a "life" until and unless it is taught and clearly demonstrated by the parents.

Unless you and your family love pets, have prior experience with pets and have proper domestic staff to handle the pet in your absence and unless you live in a proper house (not a flat) please do not just buy a labrador or any other puppy.

A pup has needs just like anyone else - they have physical and mental needs too - and lots of patience and understanding. No child can be expected to handle the pup on his/ her own without proper guidance. The pup needs to be trained, house trained etc so that he/she does not soil the premises.

A Pup or any pet is a lifelong responsibility - they cant speak and thus cant complain if something you may be doing, is wrong. Just think, from the kid's perspective a pup or other pet is simply a new "toy" or "flavour of the moment" - once the kid gets bored with the dog, the dog has to go through so much more of his/ her life! Kids will grow up, they will go to school, they will not be able to invest the time required for the pet and consequently who suffers? The poor pet, for no fault of his/ her own!! Just think of this from the Dog's perspective.

I have seen far too many cases like this and cannot endorse getting a pet until and unless one is 100% sure that one can handle the responsibility. There have been innumerable cases of dogs being abandoned by their owners once they grow to a certain size - all puppies are cute to look at and play with, but they do grow up and still have needs. Owners cannot simply "get bored" and cast them away like a used toy.

Therefore, until you and your whole family are 100% sure you are ready for the responsibility of a pet, do NOT get one.

Their lives are typically 12-14 years at the most. In that time it is our duty to ensure they lead happy, healthy lives. If we cannot commit to that, then we have no business getting a pet in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravchawla View Post
Hello Friends,

Any experience or suggestion on what should be the correct age of a child to gift him a pup!

Almost decided lab pup for my 3 year old daughter, but confused if she is big enough to handle a pup!

Regards
Gaurav

Last edited by shankar.balan : 18th August 2009 at 17:47.
Old 18th August 2009, 18:42   #671
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravchawla View Post
Hello Friends,

Regards
Gaurav
Wait wait wait. My lab pup is teething like crazy and will do so till he's atleast 6 months old. My friend's daughter who is 7 used to love him when he was a month old is now scared due to this. Let her understand that dogs need to teethe and are not biting her. Only then consider getting a dog.

Also remember, although the pup maybe for her, it's you who will have to run around, clean the mess, take him for walks, give the pup company constantly when your daughter will go away to school and classes as she grows older.

So think if you have the time and energy to do it.
Old 19th August 2009, 00:39   #672
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh... memories of my arm when my parents had a golden retriever puppy. It was always full of toothmarks.

The dog never drew blood, it wasn't dangerous, but it was playing rough, and it did hurt. A puppy will often identify with the small child in the family as being like another puppy. Both child and parents need to be able to handle this.
Old 19th August 2009, 09:30   #673
BHPian

thanks for your inputs..

i am sure i need more thinking before i get her a pup..
Old 19th August 2009, 13:46   #674
Distinguished - BHPian

By the way, the dog, featured in my previous post, and I were inseparable, which was a wonderful experience for me, especially as my parents' previous dogs had been one-man Alsations (German Shepherd) that more-or-less ignored me.

As well as tearing me to pieces in play, she was also very protective, and would get upset if even my parents punished me. I was not such a tiny child... I can't remember how old, certainly at school.
Old 19th August 2009, 16:51   #675
BHPian

Here goes my pets
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-100_0457.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-100_0461.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-100_0469.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks