Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2010, 12:00   #1111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
Hey thats great news.I was actually planning to get a lab pup this weekend.If you can really pull this off this weekend then I would love to take the buddy in to my home.

Meanwhile anyone cares to reply to this query of mine?
Hey Alter_Ego, I used to take my dog to the park right next to the Parangipalya stand when she was a puppy. The park is huge and I have seen others there with their pet boxers off leash. There's no sign saying pets are not allowed there... one of the only parks in HSR that I've seen thus. I haven't taken my dogs there in quite a while and I can't leave them off leash these days since they're over friendly and would want to jump up and down on strangers if they're off leash. In fact, I was planning to see if any interested dogs lovers near HSR want to plan a dog meetup so that my two adopted Indian pups can get some valuable dog socialization.
Old 29th April 2010, 12:34   #1112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidkun View Post
Hey Alter_Ego, I used to take my dog to the park right next to the Parangipalya stand when she was a puppy. The park is huge and I have seen others there with their pet boxers off leash. There's no sign saying pets are not allowed there... one of the only parks in HSR that I've seen thus. I haven't taken my dogs there in quite a while and I can't leave them off leash these days since they're over friendly and would want to jump up and down on strangers if they're off leash. In fact, I was planning to see if any interested dogs lovers near HSR want to plan a dog meetup so that my two adopted Indian pups can get some valuable dog socialization.
Hey Sid thats great news.
I will be getting my lab this weekend
So will PM you by sat evening.
Old 29th April 2010, 13:44   #1113
BHPian

I am looking for a dog (May be GSD or Lab) for myself & family.
I want the dog to be socializing with the family and also guarding during emergencies.

I have also heard from some vet doctors that, if we want good pet inside the house then go for Lab. If we want good guarding dog GSD is the choice. Its a personal opinion though.

Some want as pet, some want as guarding dog. Not sure.
Some of our relatives have Lab & GSD. But, both these dogs create nuisances during family functions.
I want to adore a dog for my family, but my parents/wife are against it.

How do we decide on which dog breed to be part of our family?
Will there be any situation the dog just bites out of haste?
Which dog would be friendly to kids and elders?

Can anybody throw some opinions?
Old 29th April 2010, 13:46   #1114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will be getting my lab this weekend
All the best for your mission, let us know if you need any help.
Old 29th April 2010, 14:31   #1115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstallion76 View Post
How do we decide on which dog breed to be part of our family?
Will there be any situation the dog just bites out of haste?
Which dog would be friendly to kids and elders?

Can anybody throw some opinions?
Youtube Dogs101.
Dogs101 was a series of informatory episodes on each bread of dog.They will consider one breed per episode and let you know whats its characterstic behaviour and what kind of environment is suited for it.Which dog will perfect for an apartment and which one requires more space.

Apart from that they will also mention the shedding and the eating habits of each breed.

Just youtube it and you will have plenty of info to start with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
All the best for your mission, let us know if you need any help.
Latheesh,
Ranjan hasn't confirmed yet.I am awaiting his PM.In case he doesn't approve of it then I am going to adopt another 5 month lab from a person staying in bommanhalli after paying that moron some amount to let the poor lab go as he is not taking adequate care of him.
But come what may,I will have a new addition to my family before this week ends.
I am so excited

Last edited by Alter_Ego : 29th April 2010 at 14:32.
Old 29th April 2010, 15:54   #1116
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

hey I know one of the trustees of CUPA and my own experience is not like this. They do care about who the dog goes to. They dont sell the dog - they only request a small donation to keep them running. If the dog is a female then they neuter her and request a donation of 1000 Rs for that.
thats all I ve experienced until now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
Sorry I can not provide these kinds of details here. You never know who is reading it and can turn wrong for me.

@Shankar - I thought of Cupa, but I know for a fact they adopt dogs and if it is of a good breed they sell it without even seeing how good the buyer is.

@Alter_ego - I am vacating this house on 30th of this month, can't bear the owner anymore. Once I shift probably I can help you as the risk level would be low for me.
Old 29th April 2010, 16:07   #1117
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

alterego and sidkun

most parks in HSR and indeed most places in that area are not dog friendly. I know, I also live there. There is no point trying to argue with these chaps in attendance because they are only enforcing the BBMP rule.
Until a park is fully developed and thrown open to the public one can play with the dogs but the moment it is functional the public tend to object.

Hence my attendant takes them out atleast 6 times a day when we are not in and when we are in, we take them out atleast 2-3 times a day - usually very early morning and again last thing at night.

My oldest Alsatian in particular loves playing ball - luckily since my place is slightly quieter than the rest of the area, Im able to play ball with him on one particular quiet street. My other two - the young Alsatian and the Labrador just want to jump about and play rough with me or any other willing person. They are not too interested in the ball per se, except to tease the other older chap.

All the rest of the places there in HSR are completely ruined by maniacal car/ bike guys who drive/ride very fast/dangerously, loads of construction debris and large numbers of itinerant workers + people/ home owners who do not understand/ like pets/ dogs/ animals in general.

One reason why I prefer to live in an independent house is exactly because of this - one cannot do any kind of justice to a pet in an apartment. Especially big dogs because they need exercise regularly and many people in apartments seem to have some kind of irrational fear of pets especially when it comes to the pets interacting with their children. Thus, transferring their fear to the kids, they create another generation of pet unfriendly creatures.

If you too live in the same neighbourhood PM me sometime.

But please note that my dogs are a like slightly spoilt children, somewhat possessive and jealous and are not very sociable per se with other dogs and/ or humans. They get rather displeased if I go and play with other pets being walked around so I ve got to keep a bit of a tight leash on them.

Quote:
All bangalore pet owners, One important question.
Where in bangalore do you take your dogs out for walks and excercises.
I remember I used to take my dogs out in Canada in parks and open lawns though I had to clear their poop too but everyone used to bring their dogs to huge parks there and little kids used to play frisbee with their labs and GSDs.

But unfortunately whichever park I have visited in HSR layout, there is a strict board saying dogs not allowed.Where does the muncipality feel we are supposed to take our dogs to get some excercise and have some fun time??

Where do you all take your pets for some evening fun???
Old 29th April 2010, 16:59   #1118
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Just got a 2 month old Labrador Retriever pup. Sleeping next to my chair right now. Named him Rockstar

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img00004201004291543.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img00003201004291542.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img00005201004291543.jpg
Old 29th April 2010, 20:12   #1119
BANNED

Here you go guys..

Pictures of the dog, look at it's condition, his health has become like a stray dog he has become so skinny.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-rocky.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-rocky1.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-rocky2.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-rocky3.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-rocky4.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-rocky5.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-rocky6.jpg  

Last edited by Ranjan Sharma : 29th April 2010 at 20:18.
Old 29th April 2010, 20:25   #1120
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks so chained-up .. and imprisoned.

If he is friendly to you, then he shouldnt shout if you take him out. Problem is you will need to get into the car with him, else he will not go with a stranger. (unless your friend comes regularly and gets familiar to the dog. Other problem is someone seeing you taking for a walk.
Old 29th April 2010, 21:57   #1121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Just got a 2 month old Labrador Retriever pup. Sleeping next to my chair right now. Named him Rockstar
Thats a cutie pie.Cho chweet.
Quote:
Here you go guys..

Pictures of the dog, look at it's condition, his health has become like a stray dog he has become so skinny.
Ranjan,
poor chap is in really sorry state.But he's really grown up and flicking him is really risky.Really feel sorry for him.Isn't there something like PETA at the state level where we can report this?
Old 29th April 2010, 22:18   #1122
BANNED

Quote:
Thats a cutie pie.Cho chweet.

Ranjan,
poor chap is in really sorry state.But he's really grown up and flicking him is really risky.Really feel sorry for him.Isn't there something like PETA at the state level where we can report this?
He is around 5 months younger to my dogs. My dogs are 1.2 years old now. The guy is really friendly and you can see the hunger for love in his eyes. He tries to jump on everyone's lap to get a rub.

Somehow I feel the pictures have not come good and not revealing the real scene. He is not in that bad state as it seems from the pictures.

Mods: Please hide the number plates in the pics above. I did not notice it while I was posting.

Last edited by Ranjan Sharma : 29th April 2010 at 22:21.
Old 29th April 2010, 22:45   #1123
BHPian

Quote:
Somehow I feel the pictures have not come good and not revealing the real scene. He is not in that bad state as it seems from the pictures.
You are the best judge as you have the first person view.Pics I agree might not give the right impression.
Meanwhile I am getting a 4 month lab pup this saturday.Will be posting the pics soon
Old 30th April 2010, 00:23   #1124
Senior - BHPian

Ranjan,if you are successful in getting the dog away from there and giving it a better life, there won't be a better deed done by you. In all earnest, please try to get that lil fella away from those monstrous owners, who'd got the heart to tie up the dog and treat it this way.
Any BHPian who could help Ranjan out, please do the needful. I sincerely don't think there's anything wrong in giving this dog a better life.
Old 30th April 2010, 05:02   #1125
BHPian

My female German Shepherd in India. I left when she was 2. She is now 5 and a half years old. How I miss her :(

Team-BHPians and their Pets-fido.jpg

Most Viewed