Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2010, 17:03   #1171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Else, you need to get a live-in attendant as the pups grow because believe me, most dogs who are bored, do tend to become naughty, destructive etc - they are trying to get your attention thats why.

would be wonderful if your parents were to live with you - atleast their 4 legged "grandchildren" will have company.
I would love to get a live-in attendant but alas not able to find any.
We wanted to sponsor a poor chap/gal who has nobody to call as family to come and live with us and take care of the pets as well as the house while we are away at work.Tried inquiring in Kerala(my native), Bhopal(where I was born and brought up) as well as Delhi(my wife's native) but no one is ready to come this far to Bangalore as everyone have their own apprehensions.

And parents are already occupied with taking care of my sis's children as they are just 1 and 3 years old.

Currently planning to take a home adjacent to office so that I can walk down at regular intervals and check on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
how easily are jack russell terriers available?
Also are they suited to our environments and heat?

cheers!
You can get them easily in bangalore.
Contact Details :- 09313005254 / 09810871734

I am not sure about the environment ,heat and other factors though.

EDIT:Sorry for the double post MODS.Kindly merge.

Last edited by Technocrat : 4th May 2010 at 19:34.
Old 4th May 2010, 18:26   #1172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
Thats one handsome looking lab.How old is he?
And is he here in bangalore or at your native place?
He is 3.5 yrs old and very much in bangalore itself.
In fact i am looking for a mate for him. Any bhpians with female Lab, interested in finding a male mate. Please let me know.

Last edited by rk_sans : 4th May 2010 at 18:41.
Old 4th May 2010, 18:35   #1173
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
In fact i am looking for a mate for me. Any bhpians with female Lab, interested in finding a male mate. Please let me know.
uh oh .. do the cops know ?
Old 4th May 2010, 19:12   #1174
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

not a bad idea - this home close to office/ business
meanwhile i can give you one number where you may find help/ attendant
pm me with your number/ details and I will try to help
else try www.babajobs.com you may find a person via that - professional webservice for domestic help

Quote:
I would love to get a live-in attendant but alas not able to find any.
We wanted to sponsor a poor chap/gal who has nobody to call as family to come and live with us and take care of the pets as well as the house while we are away at work.Tried inquiring in Kerala(my native), Bhopal(where I was born and brought up) as well as Delhi(my wife's native) but no one is ready to come this far to Bangalore as everyone have their own apprehensions.

And parents are already occupied with taking care of my sis's children as they are just 1 and 3 years old.

Currently planning to take a home adjacent to office so that I can walk down at regular intervals and check on them.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 4th May 2010 at 19:14.
Old 4th May 2010, 22:12   #1175
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Around 11 years back I had a Pomeranian breed dog with me, It passed away after 10 years of great company with us. I really can't forget the way it grew up in our home and till today it is in my mind.

After it passed away, we really felt very bad and took long time to recover the depression that incident created and I really didn't thought of taking a Dog again.

But once again I'm thinking of adopting a dog into my home, so searching for good breed which is a kind of social genetically. What do you think the best breed that can fit in to my expectation ? I'm always fascinated by Boxer, Golden Retriever, Labrador Retriever, St. Bernard and a Pug.

Currently my house in Chennai is in an apartment and I may move to my other house which has got plenty of space around with in the compound(more than a ground of free space) and independent type.

Today I saw a St. Bernard breed dog and came to know that the owner has both male and female and issued 12 pubs out of which few died and few sold.

Currently they have beautiful and most active five (4 males and 1 female) pubs up for sale. They quote around Rs.35000, is that a good deal ?

Do you suggest St. Bernard to be grown with small kids say 5 years and 4 years old?

Here is the picture of male St. Bernard that I'm talking about
Team-BHPians and their Pets-image155.jpg
Old 4th May 2010, 22:42   #1176
Distinguished - BHPian

Your children will be fine as long as the dog does not sit on them!

OK, I'm not an expert, but my bet is that your children and the dog will grow up the very best of friends.
Old 4th May 2010, 22:55   #1177
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
Guys,
Currently they have beautiful and most active five (4 males and 1 female) pubs up for sale. They quote around Rs.35000, is that a good deal ?

Do you suggest St. Bernard to be grown with small kids say 5 years and 4 years old?

The dog in the picture looks of good breed,35000 for his kids is good deal. St. Bernard can be grown up with kids even below 5 years.

You had a dog already for 10 years, so I think you would be wise enough to be able to take care of the dog. Please post pictures after you bring them home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego
And please someone tell me how to potty train them.As of now my whole house seems like a sh!tyard
Dude, forget about the "NO" and "Sho Sho" to the small kid. They won't understand anything.

Best way to potty-train them is,
1. Clean the waste with a paper, and wash the place with cleaner which has a strong fragrance.(Dogs ALWAYS smell and then potty, and it is important to remove the smell from the place where you don't want them to dirty.)
2. Soak a door-mat with the shu-shu they do, and don't clean the door-mat thoroughly. Let some of the shu-shu smell stay in the cloth.
3. Place the cloth at the place (e.g - bathroom) or wherever you want the puppy to potty next time.

Now, question is:- How will the the puppy know the cloth is in the bathroom?
Ans :- You will have to watch them when they **** (Mostly after having food). So next time you give them food, after they finish it, move the puppy to the place where you placed the cloth.

Last edited by Ranjan Sharma : 4th May 2010 at 23:11.
Old 4th May 2010, 23:11   #1178
BHPian

St Bernards are cute but two things you should leep in mind:
1. Not the most active breed.
2. These babies are meant to be in colder climates. So in the summers the dog will need the air conditioner before you.
Old 4th May 2010, 23:25   #1179
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego FyI even me and my wife both are working and ours is also a 2 BHK.
That was the sole reason for getting 2 pups instead of one.
But I leave office a little late around 10-11 and my wife gets home by 6.We have worked out a schedule like that.And the 6-7 hours the pups play among themselves.But after we get back we ensure that we are with them till 12 in the night after which they are too tired to play and resign themselves to their cozy beds and doze off.We again join them early morning by 6 and off they go to the terrace to play till 8.
Don't want to scare you, but you are exactly walking on the path I did You got to be careful of your furniture.
Only 2 differences are, I stayed in a rented house and I own 2 German Shepherds. I made sure the puppies were never alone even for an hour, so changed my shift in accordance. They did spoil all the furniture, but that's ok, they are my bacchas. Problem is with the house. Gradually as they started growing up, it was hard for me to get houses to stay. After a search of around 1 month I used to get houses which were not so good, but just that I had my babies, I had to shift. Now after paying a VERY high rate of rent I got a good house with enough space for them.

Keeping 2 dogs, in an apartment is VERY VERY difficult. As they grow up, you will start facing issues. I can't take my dogs out, since I can't control them. If I do, and they run in oposite directions with me catching them in the leash, I will be torn in 2 halfs Good to see someone else getting into my situation also. Whatever it is, You will love it.
Old 4th May 2010, 23:53   #1180
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

Attachment 342910
Hey Trammway, Be very careful while buying a Saint Bernard pup. Be ready to spend around 5k minimum on the pup every month. A lot of effort goes into brining up these dogs and keeping them healthy. But they are the most lovable and gentle dogs i have ever come across. You will get a big, gentle and lovable Saint Bernard if you get the pup from a good breeder or person who knows about saint bernards. Due to a lot of inbreeding even these gentle giants have become aggressive. Do not "GO FIDA" by looking at the size of the pup's parents. Look at the temperment. They need to be gentle. PM me if you want to know more about Saint Bernards. The one in the pic is surely big but not healthy. It is over weight. You can make out by looking at the feet, bent legs and toes of the dog. Lot of gaps between the toes. This happens when the dog is over weight.You dont need to keep them in AC during summers. A place with lot of shade with fresh water will do. They are not lazy dogs. They are as active as other small breeds and at the same time very gentle. I have one Saint Bernard and i am speaking through experience.You need to concentrate a lot on the development of their legs. Lots of calcium and a balanced diet. Else the dog will turn out to be big but with weak, awkward looking legs (hind legs especially).
Old 5th May 2010, 00:22   #1181
Senior - BHPian

Guys, thanks for all your inputs. Can someone evaluate all the breeds that I have mentioned and suggest me some with some detailed info. Please consider I'm in Chennai and Chennai is well known for its humid and hot temperature. I have no issues of anyone asking me not to keep a pet as I will be moving to my own independent house to keep the pet with me.

I'm primarily looking for a Dog which can grow with my kids and not expecting them to be doing guarding job, but a companion for my kids.
Old 5th May 2010, 00:41   #1182
BHPian

Quote:
Can someone evaluate all the breeds that I have mentioned and suggest me some with some detailed info.
I'm primarily looking for a Dog which can grow with my kids and not expecting them to be doing guarding job, but a companion for my kids.
I assume the independent house to where you are moving has a lot of free space. Keeping that in mind my preference would be in the following order:- Golden Retriever, Saint Bernard (preferably a female. Have one to see its gentleness),Pug, Labrador.
Old 5th May 2010, 00:43   #1183
BANNED

Quote:
Hey just curious. Have you got the puppies registered? I hope you know if someone notifies the cops about your puppies, they can come over to your place and fine you 2000 bucks without prior notice if the puppies are not registered.

It hardly takes 120Rs to get them registered. So go ahead if you haven't done it yet.

Quote:
Lab/Golden retriever/Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
IAnother question that I have is about the on an average monthly expenses on the dog.
I have 2 German Shepherds and expenses are as follows
Pet feast (2KG Chicken) - Rs60/day
Rice (1KG) - Rs50/day.
Chew sticks (4 packets) - Rs 300/Month
Shampoo (2 jars) - Around Rs 400/Month
Vet Visit (Cessna, CMH Road) - Depends
Maid (Specially for the dogs) - Rs 1200/Month
Milk (1/2 KG) - Rs12/Occasionally
Glossycoat (1 Jar) - Rs300/Month
Liv 52 (2 Jars) - Forgot the price/Month
Scratches on the Car - Unlimited/Month

Other than this, there are many other expenses like for e.g. I had a lab earlier and he dropped my Desktop from the table while playing Will post more if I remember.

You can calculate the total expenses, I am too lazy to do that. But dude if you are a Dog lover can give enough time, go ahead and adopt one. It isn't too expensive to maintain one. Once they are big enough. 2 meals per day is good enough.

Last edited by Ranjan Sharma : 5th May 2010 at 00:56.
Old 5th May 2010, 01:11   #1184
BHPian

Hello Trammway ,

I was a dog person before I was a (vintage ) car person , St. Bernard's a NO - NO - torture for the dogs the Chennai climate , Pugs : overpriced after VODAPHONE spoilt the show , Labrador : without the exercise - you as owner will hate your pet . If you are DOG loving family I would suggect GSD's - they are intelligent , loving but to be a family dog they have to be a part of the family & need care , next choice the Golden Retreiver ( I have a photograph of my year old son stealing yoghurt from the fridge while holding the Golden Retreiver by the tongue .
But then ......... to summarize ..........any dog that makes the family happy .

I have to cope up with a Irish Setter : a breed I never wanted - but a children favourite.

Breeds I have displayed at KCI ( I sincerely think they are a f&^*%%e but then one has to survive with their dictats.)

GSD's
Bull Terriers
Golden Retreivers
Greyhounds
Spitz
Cocker Spaniel
Irish Setter

Regards
Chauhan

PS : If the whole family is a dog family then - I would suggect a GSD , IF NOT - then to soften the missus heart the Golden Retreiver.
Old 5th May 2010, 01:27   #1185
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageman View Post
Hello Trammway ,

I was a dog person before I was a (vintage ) car person , St. Bernard's a NO - NO - torture for the dogs the Chennai climate , Pugs : overpriced after VODAPHONE spoilt the show , Labrador : without the exercise - you as owner will hate your pet . If you are DOG loving family I would suggect GSD's - they are intelligent , loving but to be a family dog they have to be a part of the family & need care , next choice the Golden Retreiver ( I have a photograph of my year old son stealing yoghurt from the fridge while holding the Golden Retreiver by the tongue .
But then ......... to summarize ..........any dog that makes the family happy .

I have to cope up with a Irish Setter : a breed I never wanted - but a children favourite.

Breeds I have displayed at KCI ( I sincerely think they are a f&^*%%e but then one has to survive with their dictats.)

GSD's
Bull Terriers
Golden Retreivers
Greyhounds
Spitz
Cocker Spaniel
Irish Setter

Regards
Chauhan

PS : If the whole family is a dog family then - I would suggect a GSD , IF NOT - then to soften the missus heart the Golden Retreiver.
Probably you missed the point he mentioned. There are kids in his family
GSD/Greyhounds and kids together?

Most Viewed