Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2010, 23:05   #1201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
Go back to my post and read carefully what I wrote. I never denied it is not a family dog, I just said it is not safe if the family has a kid of below 5 years.

FYI, I have had 6 GSD's till now. All of different characters, so I don't think I need to read on internet about them. These sites are for people who haven't had an experience and want to show their "I-Know-Everything" attitude.
You know, reading isn't such a bad thing, and it doesn't make one a "know-it-all", but rather better informed.
Anyway, maybe I misunderstood what you said, I inferred (perhaps wrongly) that you were ruling out the German Shepherd for a family with kids. Clearly since you have owned six German Shepherds, you like the breed a lot.
Old 5th May 2010, 23:35   #1202
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
You know, reading isn't such a bad thing, and it doesn't make one a "know-it-all", but rather better informed.
Anyway, maybe I misunderstood what you said, I inferred (perhaps wrongly) that you were ruling out the German Shepherd for a family with kids. Clearly since you have owned six German Shepherds, you like the breed a lot.
Actually what I meant to say was. These guys don't have an Idea how heavy they become when they grow up. They will still expect you to pick them up on your lap like you did when they were puppies. One of my GSD weighs around 60Kg and he still wants to sit on my lap, even though it looks like an elephant on an ant

As a matter of fact you would be knowing that dogs try to hug you when you reach home. Imagine if they try doing this with a kid? Moreover, all the GSDs I had earlier were never fond of kids. They don't play with them like labs do. They will neither behave like guardians nor friends to the kids.
Old 6th May 2010, 00:35   #1203
BHPian

Hello All ,

Never realised . I would spark off such a debate on the acceptability of the GSD as a family pet and if its good for children . I have always kept GSD's for the last 30 years and all I can say is that I have not had a single bad experience with the breed , But my dogs have always been part of the family and have always had the run of the house. I sincerely believe a well bought up GSD is the best dog / pet / companion one could ever have .

As for Grey Hounds - they are a bit aloof but they have a lot of patience . I have had my 5 year old son show the Grey Hound at KCI shows and they both complimented each other's capabilities - I should have the BoB certificate lying somewhere . Mind you the judges for the show were from Thailand & UK.

My vote - go with the GSD but if you have any reservations then the next best is the Golden Retreiver.

Regards
Old 6th May 2010, 11:24   #1204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
Don't have an Idea about HSR, but I know one in Mahadevpura. Both my dogs were registered from this place. Let me know if you want to come over to Mahadevpura and get your dogs registered, will PM or post the address here.
Where the hell is this Mahadevpura???Never heard of that place.Anyways I am ready to travel any distance to get them registered.
Whats the process and how long will it take?
And is it like the muncipality work where I have to circle around the babus to get the registration done?
Old 6th May 2010, 11:44   #1205
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
Where the hell is this Mahadevpura???
Between the KR Puram Hanging Bridge and More Superstore on ORR.
Old 6th May 2010, 12:05   #1206
Senior - BHPian

Hey Alter, howz the puppies doing? Upload some pics
Old 6th May 2010, 13:16   #1207
BHPian

Quote:
Where the hell is this Mahadevpura???Never heard of that place.Anyways I am ready to travel any distance to get them registered.
And is it like the muncipality work where I have to circle around the babus to get the registration done?
A little googling and calling the BBMP citizen service center (CSC) told me that one needs to show your dog's vet record, pay Rs.(200, I think) and get the license that needs renewal every year. This has to be done at a Sub-health office of BBMP. The CSC rep said that there is one in Madivala. The vet's assistant of a clinic nearby said that the vet got that done in Bomanahalli for his pet. I'll ask him where he got it done. I want to get this done too. If I cannot go myself, I'll see if someone like the Les Concierges help desk at my wife's office can get it done, since one doesn't really need the dogs present there, I think.
Old 6th May 2010, 13:18   #1208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Between the KR Puram Hanging Bridge and More Superstore on ORR.
Thanks Spitfire.Its not that far I guess then from my place.Would get in touch with Ranjan to have my pups registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Hey Alter, howz the puppies doing? Upload some pics
Hey Neo,
The pups are doing great.And the decision to get 2 was indeed the best I have ever made.Will upload the pics tonight.

Forgot to mention one episode which happened the next day when I brought them over to my place.When I brought them over to my place it was sat night.And by sunday morning my appartment was in a mess.And it was getting difficult to manage 2 little devils together.And my wifey was also not found of the golden retriever at that time as he was very hyper and ready to poucne and play with anyone who cared.
So we decided to give it back to the vet and keep only the lab.
And then we took the golden retr. back to the vet and while leaving him back I could see the look on the poor chap's face.It was heartbreaking.I could feel a tear rolling down my face.
And then it all started.Once back home my lab used to remain silent the whole day and stopped eating too.In office I realised that my golden retriver was indeed a part of my family and I gave away a family member.
I returned home immediately,after deciding to get my family member back.
Picked up my lab on the way to the vet's shop and the moment I stopped my safari there and got down I saw my poor golden retr buddy was locked in the same cage of the vet when I had adopted him.
And suddenly he sprang to life.The cage was open and he rushed towards my safari and even my lab got back to life.
I never felt so much emotional ever.Both the pups met as though they knew each other since ages though it had only been a single day they had been together.And then I realised why are they called faithful.Animals never give up on each other like I did.I never regretted any of my decisions like this ever.Told the vet that I am taking both my buddies back home.
And since then its almost been a week and they gave me no troubles and are inseperable.
I would have died and rotten in hell in case I had not brought my goldie back home.

EDIT:I rejected my long term onsite of 6 years on my H1 today and everyone is surprised that I am so happy about it.If my buddies can love me more than their life then I could at least let go of one stupid onsite opportunity just to ensure that I am always with them.

I learnt the most basic lesson of life: You never give up on somebody who trusts and loves you more than anyone.

And the irony is now my wifey gives preference to my goldie more than the lab.She says she was wrong about the retriever and now she would not let him out of her sight ever.

Quote:
A little googling and calling the BBMP citizen service center (CSC) told me that one needs to show your dog's vet record, pay Rs.(200, I think) and get the license that needs renewal every year. This has to be done at a Sub-health office of BBMP. The CSC rep said that there is one in Madivala. The vet's assistant of a clinic nearby said that the vet got that done in Bomanahalli for his pet. I'll ask him where he got it done. I want to get this done too. If I cannot go myself, I'll see if someone like the Les Concierges help desk at my wife's office can get it done, since one doesn't really need the dogs present there, I think.
Sid,
Let me know the exact details and don't bother with Les Concierges help desk.
I would anyways be doing it for my pups.Just give me your docs and I would love to get it done for your pets too along with mine.

Last edited by Alter_Ego : 6th May 2010 at 13:37.
Old 6th May 2010, 13:34   #1209
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

alter_ego - perhaps you would do well to read James Herriots books if you havent already.

His perspective on animals, their need for companionship and their general antics will give you considerable pleasure and enjoyment.

Anyone who reads his books will automatically begin to empathise more with the animal kingdom and in my opinion these books are life changing.

I was introduced to them by my mum at a very young age and truly I can re-read them again and again even 30 years later and still derive the same pleasure as I got the first time I read them.

am very glad you brought the little chap back because animals, like humans thrive on company. Dogs are "pack" animals in that sense and they get very lonely without friends and/ or people around them.

Last edited by Dippy : 6th May 2010 at 15:52. Reason: Please avoid quoting a long post when replying to a topic.
Old 6th May 2010, 13:44   #1210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
alter_ego - perhaps you would do well to read James Herriots books if you havent already.
Would try to get them from my library this weekend.
Any particular book or his writings in general?

Quote:
am very glad you brought the little chap back because animals, like humans thrive on company. Dogs are "pack" animals in that sense and they get very lonely without friends and/ or people around them.
Shankar.
I was never ever proud of any of my decisions.But this one to bring the golden retriever back to his family where he belonged changed my entire perspective about life.
And now I can vouch for one thing.I will always trust my four legged buddies more than the two legged humans.

And wanted to ask one more question.
My buddies always sleep together cuddling each other and play together.But the moment they notice that any one,either me or my wifey, is watching they put up a fighting stunt.Trying to bite each other and pin the other one down.Is this some sort of attention gaining measure on their part?
Old 6th May 2010, 13:47   #1211
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

vintageman - well said
some additions below

St Bernards in India undergo torture every day of their lives. Unless they have an airconditioned kennel and/ or live in the high hills.

Pugs invariably have breathing trouble - the way their noses are positioned has been achieved by interbreeding and a whole lot of genetic modification. Same with boxers. Poor things.

Labrador - superb, loving dogs. I have one right now. They need space and exercise else they tend to get fat and lazy.

Golden Retriever - again space and exercise needed.

Irish Setters - we had one (adopted from someone in Madras) and I took him away to my parents place in the hills where they were stationed at the time. He was ecstatic with the climate and the space. Lived till 10 but poor chap had kidney failure.

Weimaraners - They need space and someone to play with in a boisterous manner. I had one till 3 years ago. Lovely dog. Very soft and sweet. I got her from a friend but that particular strain was extremely in-bred and not as strong as Weimaraners normally are. Poor thing passed away on account of kidney failure.

GSD - the long haired variety can suffer terribly in summer unless cared for properly. and they need space and exercise. I love this breed and have two of them right now.

Dalmatians - lovely breed. but need exercise and someone to play with.

Dogs in my opinion should be brought up as part of the family, given the run of the entire house and lots of love and affection.

Preferably dogs should be kept in houses, not apartments. And one cannot be uptight about finding fur everywhere and muddy paw prints etc if one has pet dogs.

I m a bit extreme in my views in the sense I even tell some of my friends who are uncomfortable with dogs, not to come home.
Would rather meet such friends outside somewhere instead of asking the dogs to sit outside while they are visiting.
After all the dogs are in the house the whole time. We keep going out to work and so on. So it is more their house than ours in that sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageman View Post
Hello Trammway ,

I was a dog person before I was a (vintage ) car person , St. Bernard's a NO - NO - torture for the dogs the Chennai climate , Pugs : overpriced after VODAPHONE spoilt the show , Labrador : without the exercise - you as owner will hate your pet . If you are DOG loving family I would suggect GSD's - they are intelligent , loving but to be a family dog they have to be a part of the family & need care , next choice the Golden Retreiver ( I have a photograph of my year old son stealing yoghurt from the fridge while holding the Golden Retreiver by the tongue .
But then ......... to summarize ..........any dog that makes the family happy .

I have to cope up with a Irish Setter : a breed I never wanted - but a children favourite.

Breeds I have displayed at KCI ( I sincerely think they are a f&^*%%e but then one has to survive with their dictats.)

GSD's
Bull Terriers
Golden Retreivers
Greyhounds
Spitz
Cocker Spaniel
Irish Setter

Regards
Chauhan

PS : If the whole family is a dog family then - I would suggect a GSD , IF NOT - then to soften the missus heart the Golden Retreiver.
Old 6th May 2010, 15:16   #1212
Senior - BHPian

@Alter: That was a real nice lesson to learn. I can now see a complete and happy family of 4 . Whenever you get time upload the pics.
Old 6th May 2010, 16:06   #1213
BHPian

Quote:
My buddies always sleep together cuddling each other and play together.But the moment they notice that any one,either me or my wifey, is watching they put up a fighting stunt.Trying to bite each other and pin the other one down.Is this some sort of attention gaining measure on their part?
It is, completely. My dogs are together the whole day and lie down next to each other, or on my bed. When they're alone, they hardly bother one another, sometimes lightly biting the other's ears etc. When I come home, they rush into the hall, and if the male pup tries jumping on me the older female catches his legs and pulls him down and then there's a free-for-all, with growling and grunting and wrestling.....and all this as close to me, or preferably right on top of me....then the female makes sure she jumps on to my lap as sits there as if to demonstrate who owns the place. Then, when I ignore both of them for a while, they run off to do their own things.
Old 6th May 2010, 16:23   #1214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
vintageman - well said
some additions below

St Bernards in India undergo torture every day of their lives. Unless they have an airconditioned kennel and/ or live in the high hills.

Pugs invariably have breathing trouble - the way their noses are positioned has been achieved by interbreeding and a whole lot of genetic modification. Same with boxers. Poor things.

Labrador - superb, loving dogs. I have one right now. They need space and exercise else they tend to get fat and lazy.

Golden Retriever - again space and exercise needed.

Irish Setters - we had one (adopted from someone in Madras) and I took him away to my parents place in the hills where they were stationed at the time. He was ecstatic with the climate and the space. Lived till 10 but poor chap had kidney failure.

Weimaraners - They need space and someone to play with in a boisterous manner. I had one till 3 years ago. Lovely dog. Very soft and sweet. I got her from a friend but that particular strain was extremely in-bred and not as strong as Weimaraners normally are. Poor thing passed away on account of kidney failure.

GSD - the long haired variety can suffer terribly in summer unless cared for properly. and they need space and exercise. I love this breed and have two of them right now.

Dalmatians - lovely breed. but need exercise and someone to play with.

Dogs in my opinion should be brought up as part of the family, given the run of the entire house and lots of love and affection.

Preferably dogs should be kept in houses, not apartments. And one cannot be uptight about finding fur everywhere and muddy paw prints etc if one has pet dogs.

I m a bit extreme in my views in the sense I even tell some of my friends who are uncomfortable with dogs, not to come home.
Would rather meet such friends outside somewhere instead of asking the dogs to sit outside while they are visiting.
After all the dogs are in the house the whole time. We keep going out to work and so on. So it is more their house than ours in that sense!
I've got two pure-bred dogs..they're pure Indian street mutt breed. They're as friendly with us as any other breed would be. And bark at strangers just as loud.

I'm also fostering 3 street pups, real tiny pups. Anyone want to adopt a street mutt?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDY_RACER View Post
Does any one know any one who can keep the dog in house not in a kennel.
The lady from whom I adopted one of my dogs had kept her adopted dog (my dog's sister) at the house of a lady called Jerusha somewhere in HRBR. She was inside the house,unchained along with Jerusha's own pet dogs. But I think Jerusha was vacating her rented place last month so I'm not sure if she still dog-sits at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
Guys, thanks for all your inputs. Can someone evaluate all the breeds that I have mentioned and suggest me some with some detailed info. Please consider I'm in Chennai and Chennai is well known for its humid and hot temperature. I have no issues of anyone asking me not to keep a pet as I will be moving to my own independent house to keep the pet with me.

I'm primarily looking for a Dog which can grow with my kids and not expecting them to be doing guarding job, but a companion for my kids.
Like I asked above, why not an Indian dog. Just because they don't have a fancy foreign name like "Jack Russell Terrier", doesn't mean they're not good family dogs. In all probability, Jack Russell terriers are called "desi breed" in the UK, just like Scotch whiskey is "desi daaru" in Scotland.
Old 6th May 2010, 23:17   #1215
BANNED

Quote:
If you are coming from hebbal you got to go straight toward ITPL from KR Puram and you see an HP office. That's Mahadevpura.

Process is not lengthy and you need not take vaccination/vet report along with you also, Puppies 30-45 days old are not vaccinated anyways.

Generally these guys are not cheap like usual. They will be happy to help, just be polite. Registration charge is around 100 bucks I guess.

All this will be done in the same day itself, and registration needs to be renewed every year. Do take a picture (ppt size) of your puppy each, and if possible, take them along with you. Let me know if you want the complete address.

Quote:
Let them fight, don't stop them. It is a good exercise for their bodies and also enhances their fighting skills. You will soon find them turning as a nightmare for the street dogs who are scaring them now.

Where are the pictures? Post some more eye watering instances

Last edited by Ranjan Sharma : 6th May 2010 at 23:18.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks