Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2010, 17:42   #1441
Senior - BHPian

Anywhere between 3-6 months their milk teeth start breaking off, though it can be one month on either side. Mine's are breaking off at around 5 1/2 months. New teeth should take a couple more weeks I guess
Old 11th August 2010, 11:37   #1442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRADEEP KUMAR View Post
Folks,
Is having a pet a handicap for petrol heads like us.
request all pet lovers to provide details of pet friendly hotels to take them along,there is a site petvacations.in for this but, not of much help i suppose.

cheers!
Yes to an extent, because you cant find pet friendly hotels/resorts always in your destination, even if you find one, they dont have sufficient care towards our pets which puts me off.

For the love of my pet (Tiger, a GSD), I have reduced my travel quite a bit, we travel only when its absolutely necessary & we try our best to take him along wherever we go, unfortunately the world doesnt see your pet the way you want, its still a dog to them, which can bite/launch an attack anytime

I am waiting to see people grow up and understand that animals dont usually attack unless provoked (they are not humans !). I am also in search of pet friendly hotels/restaurants, so lemme know if you come across any
Old 12th August 2010, 23:17   #1443
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone suggest ways in which I can reduce the levels of shedding in my dogs? Its very hot here in Houston, and I try to reduce the time the lil fellas spend outside in the blazing 105F heat!
I usually give them Pedigree/ Alpo or other brand foods, and once in a while they like to eat some rice with meat/ yogurt. I bathe them every few weeks, since they are mostly indoor dogs.
So some suggestions needed:
1) What type of soap can I use on them? ( Will have to be something available in the US)
2) What food can I keep them on, to ensure their coats are healthy?
3) Also, one of the K-9s always hops on the bed at night, and snuggles near my feet. As much as I like to have him close to me, I want him not to sleep on the bed but on his bed thats right next to our bed. I put a fleece on his bed too, so he does go underneath it once in a while. But the minute I fall asleep, the fellow jumps right back on the bed.
Old 12th August 2010, 23:36   #1444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
Can anyone suggest ways in which I can reduce the levels of shedding in my dogs? Its very hot here in Houston, and I try to reduce the time the lil fellas spend outside in the blazing 105F heat!
I usually give them Pedigree/ Alpo or other brand foods, and once in a while they like to eat some rice with meat/ yogurt. I bathe them every few weeks, since they are mostly indoor dogs.
So some suggestions needed:
1) What type of soap can I use on them? ( Will have to be something available in the US)
2) What food can I keep them on, to ensure their coats are healthy?
3) Also, one of the K-9s always hops on the bed at night, and snuggles near my feet. As much as I like to have him close to me, I want him not to sleep on the bed but on his bed thats right next to our bed. I put a fleece on his bed too, so he does go underneath it once in a while. But the minute I fall asleep, the fellow jumps right back on the bed.
Hey Nitin,

try supplimenting the Sunflower oil orally 2 spoons, which will resolve the shedding.

the main reason is that the dogs are loosing essential oils in their coat.

try bathing the dog once in 2 months. and please dont use any soap, use any mild shampoo for your dog(dog shampoo) or baby shampoo. which should answer the questions.

and more over try adding some glycerene(20 ml) & Eating soda(1 spoon) in warm water and give the bath once entire bath is finished with shampoo this will ensure that the dog don't stink & gives suppliment for the hair.

try avoiding the Chicken food(the food should not give hot onto the body)
hope this helps.

if you follow the steps you can avoid the shedding.
Old 13th August 2010, 00:15   #1445
Distinguished - BHPian

<puzzled> Not something to be worried about, certainly not something to be prevented.

Moulting (shedding) is a natural function in furry animals and part of their seasonal temperature control. Do not worry about it, but give it a hand with a good brushing. Do it every day, if you can! The dog will probably enjoy it: even most cats like it.

This helps to prevent most of that fur ending up on your furniture and clothes.
Old 13th August 2010, 17:56   #1446
Senior - BHPian

Bruno is 3 months old now. Like every German Shepperd, he is growing to be huge!
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc_0345.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc_0348.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc_0363.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc_0365.jpg  

Old 13th August 2010, 19:11   #1447
Senior - BHPian

^^ Bruno looks so cute. But it's really sad to see him chained that way. :(
Old 13th August 2010, 22:31   #1448
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDY_RACER View Post
Hey Nitin,

try supplimenting the Sunflower oil orally 2 spoons, which will resolve the shedding.

the main reason is that the dogs are loosing essential oils in their coat.

try bathing the dog once in 2 months. and please dont use any soap, use any mild shampoo for your dog(dog shampoo) or baby shampoo. which should answer the questions.

and more over try adding some glycerene(20 ml) & Eating soda(1 spoon) in warm water and give the bath once entire bath is finished with shampoo this will ensure that the dog don't stink & gives suppliment for the hair.

try avoiding the Chicken food(the food should not give hot onto the body)
hope this helps.

if you follow the steps you can avoid the shedding.
Will give these a try. Not sure about the sunflower oil though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
<puzzled> Not something to be worried about, certainly not something to be prevented.

Moulting (shedding) is a natural function in furry animals and part of their seasonal temperature control. Do not worry about it, but give it a hand with a good brushing. Do it every day, if you can! The dog will probably enjoy it: even most cats like it.

This helps to prevent most of that fur ending up on your furniture and clothes.
Thad, maybe I phrased my query in an inappropriate way. I was looking to reduce the shedding, not prevent it. Being a biologist, I'm very well aware of how the process works, but being a dad of a 9 month old kid makes me weary at times of the fur flying around and causing further problems.
I' do my best to groom the lil ones as often as possible. I'd probably have to get a micro-bristle brush to remove the loose fur off their bodies.
Thanks for the inputs,Sir.
Old 13th August 2010, 22:33   #1449
Senior - BHPian

@ jayabusa: he is never chained buddy, infact even i dont like chaining animals (part of the reason i have never visited zoos, i dont really like the concept of zoos). he is always let free as we have our own compound. but when some guests come, we do have to chain him as he can get quite violent otherwise!!!

another option for him is the dog house but he hates to go inside that, he prefers being chained, so...

Last edited by raj_5004 : 13th August 2010 at 22:35.
Old 13th August 2010, 22:51   #1450
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
Thad, maybe I phrased my query in an inappropriate way. I was looking to reduce the shedding, not prevent it. Being a biologist, I'm very well aware of how the process works, but being a dad of a 9 month old kid makes me weary at times of the fur flying around and causing further problems.
I' do my best to groom the lil ones as often as possible. I'd probably have to get a micro-bristle brush to remove the loose fur off their bodies.
Thanks for the inputs,Sir.
Gotcha! I do believe then, that your answer is in the grooming: getting as much of that shed fur as you can onto a brush, rather than have it flying around the room.

Actually, I'd prefer a course brush. I'm a cat person, and I use an ordinary human hairbrush (when I get around to it, as I'm lazy!), and cat hair is much finer than dog. Some of the stuff for dogs even has steel bristles --- but with rounded tips so they don't scratch. I expect your vet would like to sell you something appropriate

When I was a child, I knew some neighbours who vacuumed their dog! Crazy dog loved it!
Old 13th August 2010, 23:03   #1451
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Bruno is 3 months old now. Like every German Shepperd, he is growing to be huge!
Angel is not afraid of brunoTeam-BHPians and their Pets-dsc01940.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayabusa View Post
^^ Bruno looks so cute. But it's really sad to see him chained that way. :(
jay take a chill pill its just a pet dog,

there is nothing wrong in chaining a pet that big, both my pets sleep with us, i wish they could be chained both my dogs are a big menace they have eaten my shoes, wife's slippers and a lot of other household items. But i love them, carper talks to me everyday
Team-BHPians and their Pets-2.jpg

Pramod
Old 13th August 2010, 23:05   #1452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
@ jayabusa: he is never chained buddy, infact even i dont like chaining animals (part of the reason i have never visited zoos, i dont really like the concept of zoos). he is always let free as we have our own compound. but when some guests come, we do have to chain him as he can get quite violent otherwise!!!

another option for him is the dog house but he hates to go inside that, he prefers being chained, so...
Bro, in that case I guess you should make him get used to the dog house since he seems to be conditioned to prefer the chain to the dog house. And the dog house at least seems to be a better option than the chain.

And about boycotting zoos, I completely agree with you. Animals are caged in a habitat which isn't their natural one just for selfish entertainment/recreational purposes of us human beings & worse for animals from different cities, states, countries etc. as it's also an entirely different, inappropriate & unsuitable climatic condition for them.
Same goes for circuses. Wild animals which belong only in a wild habitat are forcibly made to behave in an unnatural way.
I sincerely feel everyone should join in.

Last edited by Jayabusa : 13th August 2010 at 23:13.
Old 14th August 2010, 10:42   #1453
Senior - BHPian

@ pramod: i love angel, look at the innocence in his eyes, so cute. Sadly, my mom does not like dogs & my sis-in-law is scared of them, so bruno is not allowed inside the house. :-(

@ jayabusa: We tried to, but in vain! he keeps barking when caged but no problems when chained. i think it has more to do with the climate in kerela now. its raining & hence its really pleasant ouside. so i think he prefers outdoors more than indoors. let the summer come, he will automatically retreat to the shelter of the cage!

Also, we used to feed bruno chicken/mutton everyday or every alternate day & he had grown to be really plump & lazy. the vet advised us against it. now he gets chicken/mutton only on sundays & fish/egg regularly. now he is leaner but has become more lively. ohh, i forgot to mention, we are vegetarians, so the chicken/mutton comes in our house exclusively for him, LOL!

Last edited by raj_5004 : 14th August 2010 at 10:47.
Old 14th August 2010, 11:44   #1454
Senior - BHPian

Raj why don't you feed him royal canin etc.my rotweiller is on royal canin since day one and is really growing well and strong.its a well balanced diet for the dog.also talk to the vet and give him adequate calcium and multivitamins.excercise his rear legs well.so that he doesn't stoop low from behind in his later age.the best way is to leave the pup in a bunker dug up to a good depth.he'll try to get out of it.and in this process he'll excercise his rear legs well.this is the method used by army to train its german shepperds.
Old 14th August 2010, 13:33   #1455
Senior - BHPian

yes, we do give him the calcium & vitamin tablets as prescribed by the vet. by the way, how is pedigree?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks