Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2010, 10:55   #1621
BHPian

Hi Prashant

Sad to hear that you have to leave your pup for that long. I would happily take him in, but my dog is excessively territorial and doesn't take to other dogs easily. But you could speak to these people called Friendicos in Def Col.

They are a shelter but they really care for their dogs. You can give them whatever you feel would be the right amount for the tenure you wouldn't be around. They have their own docs and stuff. Just that it’s a shelter so don't expect a 5star treatment for your pooch.

Their number is: 9810000254, 9811324649

Give me a call incase I could do anything else.

Cheers
Prateek
Old 8th November 2010, 11:25   #1622
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant.dinkar View Post

I am looking for a either a family who can take care of him for next 6 months or some pet shelters in or around delhi where I can leave him. If money can make things easier for him then its not a constrain.

Guys can you please help me on this ?
How old is he dude? Can you post pictures of him? I can check with my friends if they are interested in adopting him if at all he is not too big and ok enough to get a new master.

Doberman's are 1 master dogs I guess.
Old 8th November 2010, 23:23   #1623
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
i found this little pup shivering in the BDA complex in HSR layout a couple of days ago in the evening around 5pm.
so we picked her up, brought her home, gave her a sponge bath with savlon and warm water, fed her and kept her warm in a shoe box lined with cloth and knitwear for a day.

yesterday I got the CUPA ambulance to pick her up and take her to the animal shelter. through the 30 odd hours she spent with us at home she did nothing but eat and sleep - i dont think the poor thing in her short life had much access to decent food, warmth and a peaceful rest - especially during the Diwali cracker madness.
she could not be more than 3-4 weeks old but she sure is a survivor!
she's gone now but will be safe in the CUPA shelter.
am glad we were able to make a small difference to atleast this stray pup's life.
Great initiative shankar. There should be more and more people like you.
Old 9th November 2010, 07:25   #1624
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

dogs are certainly man's best friend. also any poor animal (dog, cat, cow, calf, donkey, pig etc) who is homeless and un-cared for needs a little compassion and help from us humans who spend most of our lives chasing dreams and rushing around madly. Humans have also been responsible for much of the harm caused to our lovely blue planet earth.
Hence, I think it is our duty to do that much at least. after all our religion/ philosophy preaches Ahimsa - and I am firm in that belief.
it doesnt take much to do a small deed like this - all it takes is the will to stop and do it- invest 5-10 minutes of time and effort - rather than simply pass by in an uncaring manner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdeepudev View Post
Great initiative shankar. There should be more and more people like you.
Old 9th November 2010, 09:09   #1625
BHPian

Diwali eve. Me and my pets.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-fb.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-fb1.jpg  

Last edited by Technocrat : 9th November 2010 at 22:15.
Old 9th November 2010, 10:09   #1626
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhipuru16 View Post
By the way guys, I have a query, my 1.5 years old Lhasa does something strange once in a while. When he is playing with me on a bed or a carpet, he lays his head down by his side (his cheeks touching the ground) and starts to dig with his front paws in a circular manner (sideways) if you know what I mean.
Earlier, he just used to dig with his front paws standing straight which is normal I think but, lately he started this "head touching the ground while digging" as well. Is it something to worry about?
I checked for fleas, ticks or ear infections.
Any pointers, please?
Old 9th November 2010, 10:28   #1627
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

all three dogs are lovely
a coincidence that you should have the same combi as I do - 2 Alsatians and a Lab!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
Sorry, could not attach the pic.
Old 9th November 2010, 10:33   #1628
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
all three dogs are lovely
a coincidence that you should have the same combi as I do - 2 Alsatians and a Lab!!
Thanks, they indeed get lots of praises for their looks.

The puppy looks like a lab but actually a mastiff and rotty mix. He is 5 months old now.

Last edited by Googleman : 9th November 2010 at 10:35.
Old 9th November 2010, 20:38   #1629
BHPian

Guys and gals, I present to you, my 3 yr old GSD, Elektra. I got her when she was 1 month old, sent her to my parents in mumbai when she was 2 yrs old. Since then, has been on permanent vacation, running around, chasing butterflies, killing rats, sniffing out snakes and been attacked by a panther once. As you can see, she lived to tell the tale.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-imgp0092.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-i-need-rest..jpg  

simpleman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2010, 21:49   #1630
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant.dinkar View Post
I am looking for a either a family who can take care of him for next 6 months or some pet shelters in or around delhi where I can leave him.
I hate to see you in this situation. Hope something works out. I could have tried to help you - but you are in Delhi.

Pls post ad's everywhere. Hopefully someone will come forward to adopt him. You may need to give him up to some one else premanently - pls remember that he may not be the same Diesel that you part from today.
Old 10th November 2010, 10:12   #1631
Senior - BHPian

Googlman, that a nice pic.

Some pix from Cochin Dog Show.

Picasa Web Albums - JYOTHY DAS K. - Dog Show : Co...
Old 10th November 2010, 11:35   #1632
Distinguished - BHPian

@Prashanth, I have seen ad's for adoption on various internet forums like Sulekha, quickr etc. Do a search for such ad's. Another option is breeders, if you have a reference - (if they are known atleast through some one)
Old 16th November 2010, 18:00   #1633
BHPian

Had a horrible start to the day.

The area we-live is infested with stray dogs, increased lately by 7 lovely pups. They take shelter in an unfinished (almost abandoned) construction, diagnolly opposite to my home, and are fed by the people living around. They are 35 days old, as I came to know later, and are very conscious of the environment.

As I started to work from home, I was peeved by the neighbourhood plot construction guys creating ruckus and gave them a mouthful, before getting into my car. I usually check if the pups are taking shelter under the car(earlier experience with 8 stray pups, 5-6 months back) and anyway, the diesel clatter from the turbo idle-time usually sends them packing. That was until today. I missed to notice under my car and ran over a poor pup's leg.

I took the pup to a clinic in Indira Nagar and understood I gave the pup a fracture. I was devastated (damn it). Since it was a stray and around 35days old, I was adviced to goto CUPA. I took the pup immediately to CUPA at Hebbal Veterinary Hospital, just after Mekhri Circle and they said the pup will recover soon. They adviced me to leave the pup with them, for observation and that they will take good care of it. I felt better and came after donating some amount to the CUPA.

I, along with other pups, will miss having him around. I havent yet recovered from the pain I saw in his eyes. The way he kept looking at me during the drive, just keeps coming back to me. (We shared a good 2 hours drive in the SwifDy running to the hospitals).

I am sorry pup and hopeful that You will recover completely, soon.
Old 17th November 2010, 23:54   #1634
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post

I am sorry pup and hopeful that You will recover completely, soon.
I understand your agony Rocky. Well mistakes do happen but the way we react to them makes the difference. You proved that there are still people who do have softness in their hearts. And yes the look in their eyes can haunt some one who really likes animals.

I personally had such an experience. I was once going to office and in the middle of the road I saw a pup which was run over by some vehicle, with blood splattered all over, struggling and die. It was just a few seconds before it died. But the way it struggle, the agony and the pain just shattered me. It wasn't even able to cry in pain. It was just a mute struggle. I just prayed that it dies soon, as there was no way it could have survived. All this was just few seconds only, but I couldn't remove the scene from my thought for quite some time. Even now I can't recollect the incident without feeling the same agony. And the worst thing was unable to do anything to save it, as there was no chance for it to survive.

For you the pain will subside once you see the pup running again and playing with its brothers and sisters or in some adopted family, if that happens.
Old 18th November 2010, 02:05   #1635
BHPian

This thread is beautiful, and the two posts above are what make this thread so special.
I have a query, my 1.5 years old Lhasa does something strange once in a while. When he is playing with me on a bed or a carpet, he lays his head down by his side (his cheeks touching the ground) and starts to dig with his front paws in a circular manner (sideways) if you know what I mean.
Earlier, he just used to dig with his front paws standing straight which is normal I think but, lately he started this "head touching the ground while digging" as well. Is it something to worry about?
I checked for fleas, ticks or ear infections.

Most Viewed