Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2010, 10:35   #1666
BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

^^ lovely pics
here is a confused pic of my spitz Micky - we're redoing our house and he found this spot in the middle of the staircase as ideal to guard the first and ground floor from the painters
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20101224_2337151.jpg

Last edited by jassi : 29th December 2010 at 10:36.
Old 29th December 2010, 10:51   #1667
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Need your help in getting a pup (New born - 45 days) urgently.

My dog 'Leo' died of cardiac arrest a few days back. Everyone in family is totally disturbed and shocked. My dad especially was very close to him and feels bad thinking about him daily.

Any help appreciated.
Old 29th December 2010, 15:08   #1668
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder_s1 View Post
Hi Guys,

My dog 'Leo' died of cardiac arrest a few days back. Everyone in family is totally disturbed and shocked. My dad especially was very close to him and feels bad thinking about him daily.

Any help appreciated.
Sorry to hear about your loss.
Why not adopt a stray instead brother. A stray finding a loving home would be great.

Last edited by Jayabusa : 29th December 2010 at 15:14.
Old 29th December 2010, 15:47   #1669
Distinguished - BHPian

Am thinking of getting a good hair trimmer for my cat. She sheds hair like crazy and brushing her daily is just not cutting it out. I need to give her a good hair cut.

Any trimmers out there safe for cats? Any recommendations and prices - anyone? Am guessing dog hair trimmers should work for cats, but the coats are different (and so is the hair), hence my questions.
Old 29th December 2010, 15:54   #1670
OEM
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder_s1 View Post
Hi Guys,

Any help appreciated.

My labrador bitch just gave birth. And we are in chennai.

If you are in chennai and into labradors in the next 40 days, you are welcome to pick up one.

OEM
Old 29th December 2010, 16:42   #1671
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Am thinking of getting a good hair trimmer for my cat. She sheds hair like crazy and brushing her daily is just not cutting it out. I need to give her a good hair cut.

Any trimmers out there safe for cats? ...
I don't think you can, or should, trim a cat, at least not unless it is one of those very long-haired varieties like a Persian, which are impractical enough even cold climates.

Let nature take its course, and your job is to clear up after it! Which reminds me, my nearly-new PC is probably full of dust and cat hair by now
Old 29th December 2010, 17:13   #1672
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I don't think you can, or should, trim a cat, at least not unless it is one of those very long-haired varieties like a Persian, which are impractical enough even cold climates.

Let nature take its course, and your job is to clear up after it! Which reminds me, my nearly-new PC is probably full of dust and cat hair by now
Thad, there's hair - everywhere! in my food, on my clothes, in my coffee, on the table...sometimes I can swear I see hair floating around the house mystically!

I did trim my kitty's hair a couple of times in the past - much to her consternation. And the result was pretty good. Much less hair around to deal with a lower likelihood of hairballs in her system. I used a philip's beard trimmer.

I need something a bit dedicated though. A good heavy duty pet hair trimmer will be nice.
Old 29th December 2010, 17:37   #1673
OEM
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdeepudev View Post
Thanks alter_ego. He is 1.5 years old. Regarding the colour, I too am not sure. I thought it was fawn. He is a labrador dudley. I have seen similar coat colour in other dudlies. Even his father looks the same.
Dear Drdeepudev

If I can help....your labs' colour is called twanny, very rare colour. A colour for which fetches the highest price in labradors.

Price wise, they are Albino (pure white), Twanny, Chocolate, Black, Fawn....and then any of these colours with mutation e.g. black nose, spots over the eyes, stubbed face etc
OEM

Last edited by OEM : 29th December 2010 at 17:39. Reason: adding information
Old 29th December 2010, 17:42   #1674
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEM View Post
Dear Drdeepudev

If I can help....your labs' colour is called twanny, very rare colour. A colour for which fetches the highest price in labradors.

Price wise, they are Albino (pure white), Twanny, Chocolate, Black, Fawn....and then any of these colours with mutation e.g. black nose, spots over the eyes, stubbed face etc
OEM
Thanks OEM. Could you help me with the source? A riddle is finally getting solved.
Old 29th December 2010, 18:02   #1675
OEM
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdeepudev View Post
Thanks OEM. Could you help me with the source? A riddle is finally getting solved.
The technical term is FOX RED

You'll find a clearer explanation here Labrador Retriever Colours

For more information....Fox Red Labrador Retriever - Learn all about them

And rest assured, it is a KCI and AKC recognised colour.

By the way, congrats your dog looks healthy. Perfect stance. And when I am visiting in kerala nxt time, will drop by to see him. With my girl offcourse

Last edited by OEM : 29th December 2010 at 18:03.
Old 29th December 2010, 18:37   #1676
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Thad, there's hair - everywhere! in my food, on my clothes, in my coffee, on the table...sometimes I can swear I see hair floating around the house mystically!
Goodness, your cat is even worse than mine!

I think it can float around the house, because the hair that gets shed includes a lot of the inner-level (there's a technical term which I forget) of fur, which is very fine indeed. This explains why, when you feel cat hair on your face and in your eyes, it does no good to wipe it away with your hand, because your hand has more of the same on it; one has to use a cloth.

It is also why (my theory, at least) it is not a lot of good trimming your cat. To be effective, you'd have to shave her. Turn up the AC; make your house really icy, and she'll stop moulting!

I'm wishing my new PC keyboard wasn't black! I never used to notice the cat hair on the old, white one.

Remember: we don't choose to have cats, they choose to have us --- and we have to live with the consequences!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 29th December 2010 at 18:39.
Old 29th December 2010, 20:22   #1677
Senior - BHPian

With a heavy heart i am writing this, Our first pet in delhi, Chimpu (spitz) passed away on christmas day 6:00 AM in the morning, My sister was extreamly attached to her, Chimpu had a swollen belly for a week first diagnosed as psedopregnancy and later as a liver full of water. The dog was given heavy IV antibiotic doses which later messed her already ailing liver. She was a gift from a friend for my mirrage and she was very well attached to all of us. I went to delhi in 2007 after almost 1 year of sepration with the dog and she recogonised me immediately and was not letting me out of sight. She was the reason me and my wife bought 2 dogs in kerala and finally when she died my sister had to spend a whole day trying to find out a place to burry her and later burried her in some ridge area near birla mandir. This place is frequented by pigs and i am sure they will dig her out within a week. Delhi is one city which does not have any mechchanism to dispose dead pets, its already painful to loose a pet and even more painful to run around the entire city find a place where it can rest in peace. She had already filled some online pettition but the mere thought is killing her everyday. Friends i am in kerala and cannot arrange for a pet for her in delhi, if any bhpians in delhi have had a recent liter please let me know, i would like to take a female and ready to pay, this is a humble request.

Pramod
Old 29th December 2010, 21:50   #1678
Distinguished - BHPian

How very sad for you and your sister. Condolences to you, and to inder_s1 for your losses.
Old 1st January 2011, 09:05   #1679
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEM View Post
My labrador bitch just gave birth. And we are in chennai.

If you are in chennai and into labradors in the next 40 days, you are welcome to pick up one.

OEM
OEM,

I'm in Chennai, Velachery.

Could you let me know where you stay please. Thanks a mil.

I would love to pick up the pup asap.

Last edited by inder_s1 : 1st January 2011 at 09:06.
Old 1st January 2011, 09:11   #1680
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayabusa View Post
Sorry to hear about your loss.
Why not adopt a stray instead brother. A stray finding a loving home would be great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
How very sad for you and your sister. Condolences to you, and to inder_s1 for your losses.
Thanks guys.

Jayabusa,

Will check the options.

Most Viewed