Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2011, 23:40   #1936
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Hope she comes home, pregnant or not. I'm still missing mine dreadfully.

If she does come soon, whisk her straight off to the vet. She could still have the op early in the pregnancy.

Unless you like the idea of having kittens, and I have to admit that it is a wonderful experience

Anyway, really hoping she comes back.
Old 21st June 2011, 12:23   #1937
BHPian

last week my wife bought a fish bowl with 4 gold fishes from internet (snap deal)..1 of the gold fish died today..does any one else here owns a fish bowl? what are the precautions to be taken to pet fishes in a bowl ?? we were changing the water regularly as told by the sales man..

Team-BHPians and their Pets-264921_10150220464907884_718332883_7082097_4868703_n.jpg

Last edited by nick17s : 21st June 2011 at 12:26. Reason: posting pic
Old 21st June 2011, 12:39   #1938
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick17s View Post
last week my wife bought a fish bowl with 4 gold fishes from internet (snap deal)..1 of the gold fish died today..does any one else here owns a fish bowl? what are the precautions to be taken to pet fishes in a bowl ?? we were changing the water regularly as told by the sales man..
first, get a small aquarium.
this just abowl, yes?
there is no filtration or gas exchange happening(the air-bubble tube, so to speak).
changing the water over a period of time is not optimum for the fish.
Old 21st June 2011, 13:52   #1939
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
first, get a small aquarium.
this just abowl, yes?
there is no filtration or gas exchange happening(the air-bubble tube, so to speak).
changing the water over a period of time is not optimum for the fish.
yes, this is a 10" fish bowl, no filtration is installed..for keeping 2 gold fishes do i need filtration ? what all fishes can I pet other than gold fish which has more life? i have heard even in aquarium gold fishes lasts for maximum 2-3 months..
Old 21st June 2011, 14:06   #1940
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
yes, this is a 10" fish bowl, no filtration is installed..for keeping 2 gold fishes do i need filtration ? what all fishes can I pet other than gold fish which has more life? i have heard even in aquarium gold fishes lasts for maximum 2-3 months..

doesnt matter if you keep 1, or 10.
for other fishes, youll have to do a google for aquarists.

you can get a small aquarium to keep your goldfish not much bigger than a foot in all dimensions, in acrylic is what i think is preferred.

see, what happens in a small bowl is the ecosystem is smaller.
any small change is immediately felt.
in an aquarium it will be more diffused.
gives the fish better odds of surviving any changes(tempearture/forgetting to clean the water etc.), even if its not provided added filtration.

this is all applicable only if you plan on keeping more fish, of course.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2011, 17:44   #1941
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Hope she comes home, pregnant or not. I'm still missing mine dreadfully.

If she does come soon, whisk her straight off to the vet. She could still have the op early in the pregnancy.

Unless you like the idea of having kittens, and I have to admit that it is a wonderful experience

Anyway, really hoping she comes back.
Great news My angel is back home after 4 days, She looked pale and weak when she returned and now she's doing fine after lots of food and liquids, I gotta take her to the vet and see what the vet says, but I'm worried about the stitches and the slit after the operation as my friend's cat who got operated started scratching the bandage and the stitches.

Quote:
Make sure you use the regular underground water, as the treated corporation water contains chlorine and other chemicals which may not be suitable for fishes.
Old 21st June 2011, 19:16   #1942
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post

Make sure you use the regular underground water, as the treated corporation water contains chlorine and other chemicals which may not be suitable for fishes.
i am using water that we drink at home "aqua guard's"
Old 21st June 2011, 19:23   #1943
Distinguished - BHPian

You are lucky akshay! My cat's old boyfriend is around the house, looking as sad as I feel.

You never know with animals and bandages: mostly it is ok. Do not let this put you off the op... unless you want a bigger family!

Fishes.

A whole different world of pet keeping. In my youth, my mother could keep any animal, from mouse to German Shepherd dog, to record old ages: we could never keep fish for more than a couple of weeks. You need to start by being well informed (phew! The Internet didn't exist then! ) and then there seems to be a lot of luck involved. I think we have some aquarium keepers here, though?
Old 21st June 2011, 22:14   #1944
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Nick,

4 gold fishes in that bowl was not a good idea. Best option is as suggested by others to move them to a medium sized tank (volume approx 40 litres). Get a filtration mechanism - you could choose to just have an air pump or you could also have a sponge type filter which you could clean occasionally by squeezing out the collected dirt. Restrict food dosage to twice a day with just enough pellets/ flakes that can be consumed by the fishes within a minute.
But if you wish to continue with the bowl, then atleast get an airpump. Dont change the water completely - leave some of the old water and replenish with new water.
Hope this helps.

Cheers
ZedMae is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2011, 02:40   #1945
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Great news My angel is back home after 4 days, She looked pale and weak when she returned and now she's doing fine after lots of food and liquids, I gotta take her to the vet and see what the vet says, but I'm worried about the stitches and the slit after the operation as my friend's cat who got operated started scratching the bandage and the stitches.
Good news for you!

If you decide to spay your cat - please buy a big cage where your cat can at least stand up and walk a few paces. You will need that to lock her in for a day before the operation (without food) and 5-6 days after the operation (for recovery - and ensuring that she does not tear her stitches while trying to run/fight/climb/jump).

We have had cats in our house for generations - and we never interfered in their breeding (actually I wanted to - but there is a strange reluctance from my other family members - guess it has to do with not tampering with nature's ways).
Yes - our cats have been fighting / killing other cats / killed by civets all around our house - and now we have only 5 sticking around. (mom, son, round 2 litter of 3)
Only a regular checkup is done to ensure good health and medical attention is given whenever required. The last one to pass away actually had saline drips running - but unfortunately it was the liver that was gone.

This might sound strange - but lately (2-3 years) they have adapted their breeding pattern. Normally a cat gives birth every 4 months to a 3-5 kitten litter. The cats in our house only breed once - twice a year with a litter size of 1-2.

As for cats being intolerant to milk - our cats actually crave milk in the morning and afternoon (teatime!) - and shall wake us up if necessary! Dunno how we are going to stop that.

Last edited by blackasta : 22nd June 2011 at 02:45.
Old 22nd June 2011, 03:58   #1946
BANNED

Quote:
Chlorine evoporates if kept outside for 24 hours. Leave tap water overnight in a bucket, then use it. When I had a fish tank, I did it this way for a year. Chlorine evaporation is the reason swimming pools need constant infusion of chlorine.
Old 22nd June 2011, 09:20   #1947
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadee View Post
Leave tap water overnight in a bucket,
+1. That's correct. But be ready to lose a few more. Fish are very sensitive and in a small tank like someone above rightly said the changes are too soon to adapt for them.
Old 22nd June 2011, 09:29   #1948
BHPian

we kept 3 outta 4..1 was donated to my neighbor for their aquarium..out of 3, 1 died..now there are 2 in that fish bowl..what fish can I pet other than gold fish ?
Old 22nd June 2011, 12:02   #1949
Senior - BHPian

What I have gleaned from friends who have fish

- Large size aquarium at least 40L preferably 100L
- Air pump to replenish oxygen
- Water plants to infuse oxygen, as well as to give fish some "atmosphere"
- snails to keep the tank clean
- gravel - around 1 inch at the bottom
- a few ceramic figures, especially ones which have large tunnels in them for fish to play
- The aquarium should be away from direct sunlight in Delhi
- In winters a heater may be required. Most use a 40W bulb mounted on the lid, but if it gets below 15 degrees in the room a heater is a must.
- Get the aquarium cleaned at least once a year

Most of my friends who have fish have had them for years. With a few precautions fish will live a long time.

More information you will get from pet fish shops, preferably dedicated fish shop.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2011, 14:23   #1950
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
You are lucky akshay! My cat's old boyfriend is around the house, looking as sad as I feel.

You never know with animals and bandages: mostly it is ok. Do not let this put you off the op... unless you want a bigger family!
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Good news for you!

If you decide to spay your cat - please buy a big cage where your cat can at least stand up and walk a few paces. You will need that to lock her in for a day before the operation (without food) and 5-6 days after the operation (for recovery - and ensuring that she does not tear her stitches while trying to run/fight/climb/jump).

Thanks for the reply guys,

I spoke to my vet and he suggested what blackasta said, Get her spayed and keep her in a cage till she recovers.

But the problem is, she gets really wild if she is not let out of the house when she wants to.(for her nature calls)

Problem 2- My mom is really worried about her dirtying the place even if i have a litter box. And buying a big cage just for a weeks use makes no sense.

My vet advised me to take her to CUPA in Bangalore, get her operated and keep her there till she recovers, I'm sure they will have cages to keep her.
Any inputs on CUPA guys?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks