Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2011, 23:53   #2416
Senior - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
What fish is it and what is the problem ?
The fish is a flowerhorn, its face has turned black and hasn't eaten since a week now. Lies idle most of the times now, used to be very active prior to this and also i notice increased gill movement than before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post

Bangalore has a very good aquarist community. Join indianaquariumhobbyist.com indianaquariumhobbyist.com » Forums and you will find help there. There are many members from Bangalore.

See this sub forum:
indianaquariumhobbyist.com » Forums » Diseases & Cures
archat thanks my thread is up and running there

here's the link :

indianaquariumhobbyist.com » Forums » Diseases & Cures » Flowerhorn face turns black, not eating since 5 days. Help!
Old 27th November 2011, 01:19   #2417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bangalore View Post
sorry to say, but the fact is that they will put it to sleep if no one adopts the puppy for long time. even they do the same thing for the stray dogs which has a bad temper.
i have seen corpses in gunny bag carried in BBMP dustbin collecting vans in CUPA as well as SPCA. i am really sorry if i have made you people sad.
I don't agree to that ofcourse. If they start doing that, there will be no "CUPA" existing. Organisations like these are opened by people who are animal lovers hundred times than you and me. People who sacrifice the high paid jobs and just go into caring animals.

I have few friends who are not-that-dedicated in saving animals but still I can see their love for animals, so I can just imagine how much a person who has opened something like CUPA just for animals would love animals.
Old 27th November 2011, 07:15   #2418
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

i couldnt agree more Archat. I feel terrible when I see this kind of un-necessary road kill due to the negligence and uncaring nature of human beings.
We preach ahimsa and a whole lot of stuff - but no one ever follows it.
We are, in this sense, a rather uncivilized society.

[quote=archat68;2588339]It makes me angry when someone dumps a pet in the street when faced with a problem. Pet are not toys - they can't be just thrown away when something goes wrong with them. People should think a thousand times before adopting a pet.
Old 28th November 2011, 08:56   #2419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
I don't agree to that ofcourse. If they start doing that, there will be no "CUPA" existing. Organisations like these are opened by people who are animal lovers hundred times than you and me. People who sacrifice the high paid jobs and just go into caring animals.

I have few friends who are not-that-dedicated in saving animals but still I can see their love for animals, so I can just imagine how much a person who has opened something like CUPA just for animals would love animals.
@Googleman i understand your feelings, i too a animal lover and being visiting these organization for more than a decade. but the fact is that they have their own limitations like space constraint, food and people to manage the number of animals at a given time. initially i was also not believed these things but once i happen to see the corpses being dumped to the corporation van in my own eyes in gunny bag. if you want further proof you can check it out by yourself it usually happens in morning time around 8.00 ~ 9.00. if a corporation van is standing by then i am sure they will be shifting the corpses, but it will be done under secrecy, so give a surprise visit you will realize what i am saying
Old 28th November 2011, 12:38   #2420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
The fish is a flowerhorn, its face has turned black and hasn't eaten since a week now. Lies idle most of the times now, used to be very active prior to this and also i notice increased gill movement than before.
I might be able to help. Can you post pic of fish & the tank?
Pls ensure its a good pic because most aqua pics are hazy.
ÍMO the ammonia level of your tank is very high.

If your tank is of around 50 litres, do following in same order:
1) Shift your fish to a clean (SOAP FREE) 16 LTR water bucket with same amount of water from fish tank.
2) Thoroughly clean you fish tank & everything inside the tank.
3) Dry the gravel & put it back in tank & add fresh clean water from tap. Avoid adding ornaments/deocrative items or plants etc.
4) Leave it standing for about two hours without any cover.
5) Add granule salt & two capsule of TETRCYCLINE (Water will turn yellow)
6) Now add your fish.
7) Add aquarium heater & set it at 24 (as on heater)
8) Feed only once a day.
9) After 24 hours add few drops of BLUE liquid.
10) With flowerhorn its advisable to use EXTERNAL filter.
11) Once she is back to normal, you can add plants etc.

In case you cannot do above try changing 70% water of your tank & follow afore-mentioned steps 5,7,8 & 9.

If you have more fishes in tanks, which I suspect, then shift them to another tank asap.

Raab Rakha.

Last edited by ariesonu : 28th November 2011 at 12:42.
Old 28th November 2011, 14:00   #2421
Senior - BHPian

As chlorine content in urban water supply may affect the fish, either boil the water or use water from RO to get rid of chlorine.

To keep the water clean use a combination of
. Water plants - to oxygenate the water
. Snails - scavenge wastes
. Air pump - aerates and circulates the water

The larger the tank, the better it is for the fish. Depending on space a 1m x 30cm x 60cm (3' x 1' x 2') will give the fish plenty of space and depth. A longer tank 2m (6'), space permitting is even better.

It is advisable to clean the fish tank annually, especially tanks smaller than 200L.
Old 4th December 2011, 15:02   #2422
Senior - BHPian

It is with tremendous grief i post this. My 2 year old Female FH died today after a prolonged battle against a parasite and also due to my carelessness. It was more like i had an aqautic dog in her, she was so active! But now she lays there, still as a rock and with no life in her.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-fish-bhp.jpg  

Last edited by shashank.nk : 4th December 2011 at 15:10. Reason: Attachment
Old 4th December 2011, 15:17   #2423
BHPian

Sorry to hear your loss shashank. I know the feeling of losing a pet !!
Old 4th December 2011, 15:42   #2424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
It is with tremendous grief i post this. My 2 year old Female FH died today after a prolonged battle against a parasite and also due to my carelessness. It was more like i had an aqautic dog in her, she was so active! But now she lays there, still as a rock and with no life in her.
So sorry to hear about FH. The gills seem to be bleeding, that's a different sign from all that we read/wrote about saving her.
Bleeding gills generally mean poisoning.

Raab Rakha.
Old 4th December 2011, 16:27   #2425
Senior - BHPian

guys my sister in delhi is looking for a pup, its been a full year after we lost our dog in delhi, she looks rather sad these days and has not forgotten the dog yet, so i decided to gift her a pup and went to some pet shops. A dash pup here cost as arm and a leg here and she was looking for a cocker pup which costs a couple of legs more than the dash. In kerala a dash pup can be bought for 1.2k and here its 8-9k , Any leads for a reasonably priced cocker would be highly appreciated.

Pramd
Old 4th December 2011, 20:41   #2426
BHPian

I read that boiled chicken flesh is ok to feed your dog but boiled bones are deadly.

I have been feeding my dog with only chicken (Bones+flesh) from as long as I can remember and he has not faced any issue "touchwood".

Also, are all German shepherd owners noticing hair loss in their pet (being winter)? My dog is shedding hair, so just wanted to know if this is normal. I give him a nice bath every weekend and comb his hair thoroughly after bath, but his hair all over the house, my maid is going bonkers.
Old 4th December 2011, 21:05   #2427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
, Any leads for a reasonably priced cocker would be highly appreciated.

Pramd

Finally got her the puppy, its a female. now need a name for her.. pour in your suggestions.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc000641.jpg

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2011, 21:19   #2428
BHPian

Congrats!! She is adorable. Give her a biscuit (or whatever she likes) for me .
Old 4th December 2011, 21:55   #2429
Distinguished - BHPian

Lovely dog. Nice photo too!

Shashank, very sorry to hear about your fish.
Old 4th December 2011, 22:36   #2430
Senior - BHPian

guys we have a problem. The puppy was delivered to our house(wrong idea) and it came in a bike in a carrying cage. As soon as it came it ran around the house wagging its tail and then it took a nap. Since it woke up from the Nap its been puking and has loose stools. I am taking her to the vet tomorrow morning. Please tell me it travel sickness and will be fine by tomorrow. BTW she is 2.5 months old.

Pramod

Most Viewed