Old 6th January 2012, 18:28   #2491
BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRADEEP KUMAR View Post
Pls advice folks.

cheers
Perfect time to get him mated.
Else he will start humping the leg of any visitor that comes to your place.
Trust me.
Old 6th January 2012, 21:18   #2492
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

No way that a St Bernard is going to be happy and comfortable in hot coastal climatic tropical conditions unless of course you are prepared with an AC Kennel or give the dog a permanent residence in an AC Room! Even then they need exercise and need to play. They are meant to live in cold places only. If a St Bernard is forced to live in hot conditions the poor dog will suffer and wont have a long happy healthy life! Unfair on the dog in my opinion hence I would NOT advise anyone to take a St Bernard unless they have access to a cold climate. Its torture!

Please contact CUPA and they will find a good home to re-home the poor dog! I cant understand people who take a big dog and try and bring him/ her up in a blighted apartment for heaven's sake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
I would love to take her but have no idea about this breed. I have seen few in Bangalore. Will St.Bernard find it difficulty in adjusting with Kerala coastal weather conditions (temp around 35 in summer with humidity)?

If yes I will take her and she will have a company of an idiot who drinks 1-1.5 litre milk everyday.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 6th January 2012 at 21:20.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2012, 10:32   #2493
BHPian

We don't have a dog at our house anymore, but we do have this stray which visits us once in a while and often if I am home. Never eats any food we offer him. We do treat him for any injuries he sustains. I'll try to put a collar around his neck, hope the dog pound won't take him away.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc00064.jpg

Over the years we have had many temporary pets at our home in Hubli, few parrots whose wings were clipped and than they flew away , a injured kite which died, A tortoise , a few Indian species fish found in ponds, The tortoise eat a few of them.

My last dog a GSD cross died few years ago and we don't have the heart to bring another one in.

Last edited by motorpsycho : 7th January 2012 at 10:40. Reason: :)
motorpsycho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2012, 19:47   #2494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
My neighbor has a 10 month old St. Bernard and she wants to give her (its a girl doggie ) away as they stay in an apartment and the dog has not much room to run about... basically the dog is too big for the house.

I would have loved to take the dog and even considered this seriously but after our last one, it was way too painful, so we decided not to get another.

If anyone is interested in giving this one a wonderful home, loving care and a family, please get in touch with me. She (the dog) is a darling and very docile. Loves kids and is very well behaved.
Hey,

A friend of mine has asked me to get a dog for her from around a year. I was thinking to give her my GSD's puppy, but now will get him neutered. If the dog is still available can you help?

The family can literally interview her and then decide if they want it to happen.
Old 7th January 2012, 19:53   #2495
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
No way that a St Bernard is going to be happy and comfortable in hot coastal climatic tropical conditions unless of course you are prepared with an AC Kennel or give the dog a permanent residence in an AC Room! Even then they need exercise and need to play. They are meant to live in cold places only. If a St Bernard is forced to live in hot conditions the poor dog will suffer and wont have a long happy healthy life! Unfair on the dog in my opinion hence I would NOT advise anyone to take a St Bernard unless they have access to a cold climate. Its torture!

A large dog needs a lot of space and exercise, so the first thing you must ensure that there is ample space - a farm house is ideal.

Regarding heat, yes this breed is a cold climate breed, in fact it was bread to rescue travelers trapped in avalanches, but so are most of the popular breeds - German Shepherds, Labradors, pugs etc. I know of quite a few persons who have St Bernard both in Delhi and Hyderabad, but yes they appreciate an AC in the heat (and so does my Lab), without that they will be miserable.

One major concern is the amount of food a St Bernard consumes - prodigious, it is after all the largest and bulkiest dog tipping the scales at 100+ kg.

So if you can
. Feed it
. Exercise it
. Have a large yard, or a farmhouse
. Can provide an AC during summer heat

You can keep a St Bernard.
Old 8th January 2012, 16:26   #2496
BHPian

A few days back , i was here sharing her pics with you all and today she is no more :(

You were always there for me Laara , i so wish i could have been there with you the one time you needed me .

Take Care Laara .
Will miss you forever .

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc00153-new.jpg
Old 9th January 2012, 09:07   #2497
Senior - BHPian

Below are the pics of my aquarium

The one that is blurred is the Cat Shark fish. Highly hyperactive and my favs. Since the tank is small they will soon outgrow it and I will have to give it away.

Name:  ForumRunner_20120109_090315.png
Views: 1029
Size:  412.8 KB

These are my Goramis. The one with the orange tail is the Albino Rainbow Shark.

Name:  ForumRunner_20120109_085018.png
Views: 884
Size:  558.9 KB

Have kept a sunken ship, plastic plants and colorful cylinders for them to play around.

Name:  ForumRunner_20120109_085007.png
Views: 906
Size:  256.6 KB

Last edited by _raVan_ : 9th January 2012 at 09:10.
Old 9th January 2012, 09:19   #2498
Team-BHP Support

Parting away of a loving pet is very painful. A new pet compensates for it, so advisable to go for one, it won't replicate your earlier pet, but bring a smile nevertheless. Adopt a street.

As I said earlier, my pet gets her rabies vaccination in March-April. She absolutely hates the shots. No pills or syrup, yet? Its absolutely difficult to get her vaccinated.
Old 9th January 2012, 10:14   #2499
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
A few days back , i was here sharing her pics with you all and today she is no more :(

You were always there for me Laara , i so wish i could have been there with you the one time you needed me .

Take Care Laara .
Will miss you forever .

Attachment 867218
aww man!
what happened??
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2012, 10:17   #2500
BHPian

Quote:

Take Care Laara .
Will miss you forever .

Attachment 867218
So sorry Enigmatic, I can understand what your going through. R.I.P Laara.

Its been 20 days since I lost my best friend, still not able to come out of it.

-Sajan
sajands is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2012, 12:48   #2501
BHPian

Quote:

Take Care Laara .
Will miss you forever .

Attachment 867218
So sad!!
This is the most dreadful period for a pet owner. I know how it feels !! RIP Laara!!
archat68 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2012, 14:10   #2502
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
Hey,

A friend of mine has asked me to get a dog for her from around a year. I was thinking to give her my GSD's puppy, but now will get him neutered. If the dog is still available can you help?

The family can literally interview her and then decide if they want it to happen.
The dog is still available. I will speak with my neighbor and PM you her number.
Old 9th January 2012, 21:52   #2503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
aww man!
what happened??
According to the vet , she suffered a massive heart attack .
And the worst part is that none of my family members were at home when this happened :(

She was totally fine in the morning before my parents left for Delhi . As playful and cheerful as she would be on any other day .She was 6 years old but as active as any 2 year old labra .
She even had her full serving of food in the morning , and then after about an hour when she was back on her bed , all of a sudden she cried three times and that was it .

These incidents really leave one shaken to the core .
Makes me wonder really , why did God make Dogs as mans best friend , and even if he did why did he give them such short a life span ????:(

Last edited by Enigmatic : 9th January 2012 at 21:53.
Old 10th January 2012, 00:04   #2504
Senior - BHPian

Because through these short experiences they make us more human. Thats the whole reason for them. They are our best friend to make us more human. To love them as much as we can because in the back of our mind we know that this is not going to last long. Thats how truly our lives should be.

I have lost a number of best friends(4 legged ones). And yet today we cannot live without one ever. We have to have one at all times. Keeps us reminding that unconditional love is what is meant to be in this life. Like there is no tomorrow.

I feel your pain man. Be happy. She'll be in heaven watching over.

Last edited by navpreet318 : 10th January 2012 at 00:05.
navpreet318 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 00:07   #2505
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Makes me wonder really , why did God make Dogs as mans best friend , and even if he did why did he give them such short a life span ????:(
Same as we are each others' best friends, with sometimes sadly limited lifespan, I'm afraid.

At least it sounds as if your dear dog would have died quickly and not suffered. That is a small mercy.

Only time heals...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks