Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2012, 11:25   #2536
BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

This is the picture of my 3-year old Cocker Spaniel.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-sashaonflickr.jpg  

Trueintrepid is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2012, 11:31   #2537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat View Post
One of my aquaintance wants to give away her old and frail pet dog as she is unable to take care of it. any ideas on finding a home for the dog in Bangalore?

-Pat
Try SPCA on Bellary road near hebbal they shelter old & frail animals. I found a Pomeranian dog near my house once whose hind legs were crippled (in an accident obviously & the owners had abandoned it)
Poor thing looked so happy on being given some food/care it was such a pitiful sight to see him. Being a cat owner & not being in a position to take care of it, I took him to SPCA
raihan is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2012, 17:04   #2538
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

This part I would generally agree with. But I dont agree in this particular case because animals, like humans also have emotions and by giving away a pet who has grown old and frail in one's company is tantamount to giving away another family member on account of old age and frailty. I wouldnt support that step either! In the animal's case, if the person concerned cannot handle the responsibility for whatever reason and if the animal is quite far gone, then euthanasia is a kinder way because otherwise the animal will face feelings of rejection, abandonment and sadness in his/ her last days which is in my opinion a terrible thing to inflict on anyone who has given one unconditional love and companionship in the best years of his/ her life!

[quote=
All options should be explored before an animal is killed. [/quote]
shankar.balan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2012, 17:54   #2539
Team-BHP Support

Say HELLO to our new (stray) cat we have adopted. We share our food with him (rice + milk) and he shares his food with us (Small rats, Medium sized rats, XXL sized rats etc).

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_6444.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_6445.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_6446.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_6455.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_6456.jpg
SmartCat is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 4th March 2012, 01:20   #2540
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueintrepid View Post
This is the picture of my 3-year old Cocker Spaniel.
The hair looks like that of Britney Spears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
..animals, like humans also have emotions and by giving away a pet who has grown old and frail in one's company is tantamount to giving away another family member on account of old age and frailty.....otherwise the animal will face feelings of rejection, abandonment and sadness in his/ her last days which is in my opinion a terrible thing to inflict on anyone who has given one unconditional love and companionship in the best years of his/ her life!
I never knew dogs get so attached! I always thought when you give those a new shelter, food & some love, they become happy with the new owners. Every time I visit a thread in team-bhp, I get to learn something totally new!!

PS:: Do we have a thread on how to groom & train puppies?

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 4th March 2012 at 01:25.
Old 4th March 2012, 12:54   #2541
Distinguished - BHPian

Dogs get very attached. To what extent a particular dog will accept food shelter and love from a new person, is dog and breed dependent. This is why I believe that we cannot generalise. Back in nineteen-sixty-something, my parents tried to leave their German Shepherd dogs with a neighbour while going on holiday: the dogs would not even eat, and we had to return home. This was an extreme one-man-dog case of a one-man-dog breed.

I have even known cats, much more independent creatures, to pine for their people. But then, I've also known them to move house after years with one person, and move in with someone else. I have lost and gained cats that way!
Old 4th March 2012, 13:47   #2542
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Dogs get very attached. To what extent a particular dog will accept food shelter and love from a new person, is dog and breed dependent. This is why I believe that we cannot generalise. Back in nineteen-sixty-something, my parents tried to leave their German Shepherd dogs with a neighbour while going on holiday: the dogs would not even eat, and we had to return home. This was an extreme one-man-dog case of a one-man-dog breed.
+1 to that. When I go out of station, I ask my sister to feed my German Shepherd. But the moment I come home, the way he jumps at me licking me - makes you feel sad that you had to leave him behind. On the other hand, the last dog I had was one year old and the owner was forced to leave the dog as his housing society declared that the dog was too aggressive. Surprisingly, he took to me within a few days.

It all depends how you keep the pet. I have seen morose dogs kept permanently in a shed before the house with little interaction with the owners. If you are the kind who spends some time with the animal no matter how tight your schedule is, then the bond is hard to break for the animal as well as the man.
Old 5th March 2012, 11:39   #2543
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Giving away an old and frail pet is a criminal thing to do. Better to put the poor thing down because if the dog is given away at this late stage it will only cause terrible suffering and feelings of abandonment. This is most definitely NOT on!
Please Please dont consider animals as cheap souls. They do deserve a good life and death for the love they give back to us. There is nothing that cannot be done. All it needs patience and willingness to do it.
MuzzledMoose is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2012, 12:48   #2544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
The hair looks like that of Britney Spears!

There are different names I have heard over the years. One of the other ones that was similar to yours was Jessica Simpson
Old 5th March 2012, 13:38   #2545
BHPian

Some pics of my pets, which include -
Dogs - Pumy (pomeranian), Pogo (Pug), Pearl (labrador)
Fishes, Turtles, White mice....
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc00011.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc00016.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc01046.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc01063.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc01239.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc01266.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc01301.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc01313.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc01386.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc01461.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc01776.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc01778.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc01780.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc01828.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc01889.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc01892.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc01901.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc02027.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-sp_a0410.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-sp_a0421.jpg  

nitin_80 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th March 2012, 14:09   #2546
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin_80 View Post
Some pics of my pets, which include -
Dogs - Pumy (pomeranian), Pogo (Pug), Pearl (labrador)
Fishes, Turtles, White mice....
Woah!!! Your pug is super cute

Do post more details about your aquarium. Also, please do post a sideways pic of your turtle tank.
Old 5th March 2012, 14:24   #2547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Woah!!! Your pug is super cute

Do post more details about your aquarium. Also, please do post a sideways pic of your turtle tank.
Thanks @raVan, the fish aquarium is a 5*3.5*2 feet tank. I have actually broken down the wall separating the kitchen and hall and fit the tank in between. An external filter helps clean the tank though I get inside once in a while to clean it. It has an openable shutter from the kitchen side for me to get in. The turtle tank is a 2.5*2*2 feet tank which has a ladder and a platform on which the turtles come to bask under the sun or the lamp. Will try to post pics of that. Meanwhile below is a pic of me inside the tank, and some more pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-sp_a0434.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc01067.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-140120121042.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-140120121044.jpg  

nitin_80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2012, 14:43   #2548
BHPian

Quote:
Meanwhile below is a pic of me inside the tank, and some more pics.
Dude...your house is a mini zoo! You should start issuing tickets. But I know, it's a good feeling to live amidst so many animals. I use to have a similar set up for a Flowerhorn - didn't have to get it to clean it though.
Old 5th March 2012, 14:56   #2549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueintrepid View Post
Dude...your house is a mini zoo! You should start issuing tickets. But I know, it's a good feeling to live amidst so many animals. I use to have a similar set up for a Flowerhorn - didn't have to get it to clean it though.

...Yes it is a mini zoo of sorts, in fact I have a half completed bird cage project I had started building around the external window grill of the hall. Would have been quite a massive cage but got stuck because I couldnt figure out the best way to build the door for it. Might think of something soon though. We had planned to keep injured birds in it.

Btw why dont you post more pics of Sasha, the aksa/utan beach trips etc...
Old 5th March 2012, 15:02   #2550
BHPian

Quote:
Btw why dont you post more pics of Sasha, the aksa/utan beach trips etc...
I will try to post them from home. Don't have them in the office. Bird cage will be good as long as the birds have enough room to fly around. And what a coincidence - I found an abandoned african grey parrot, probably old with the pet store guy last weekend. He was going to give it away to somebody. If he still has it, I'll let you know, but you'll have to come to collect her.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks