Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2012, 19:14   #2701
Senior - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Some simple points [copied from aquahobby]

The Responsible Fishkeeper's Manifesto
1) For each aquatic species, there exists a set of accessible conditions (minimum aquarium size, companions, water parameters, nourishment, etc.) in which it can be properly maintained in captivity without loss of its general quality of life.

2) For each aquatic species, there exists a set of accessible procedures to develop commercial breeding programs, or controlled harvesting programs, so as to guarantee sustainable development for the aquarium trade without long-term threat to the wild populations.

3) Responsible fishkeeping is based on seeking, learning, developing and promoting awareness of these conditions and procedures, such that our amateur or professional practice of the hobby does not occur at the expense of our captive pets' well being, nor in detriment to the ecosystem.
Old 14th May 2012, 19:11   #2702
BHPian

In NEED of Help/Favour !

I have a cute German Shepherd named Tiger (few of his pics are on this thread). I am looking for a temporary accommodation for this guy for 1 week from May 25th till June 3rd.

I have my dad's 60th birthday celebrations planned at our residence which will be attended by all our relatives which makes it a little tough to have a dog when kids and grandparents are around. Tiger is not noisy and well mannered, can sleep in one place for a whole day and needs very little care actually. I will be indebted to anyone who can offer to keep him for a week. I can get his food supplied to wherever he will stay. He is ok with curd rice also, in any case

Please let me know if anyone can help in this regard.

I am staying @ Defence Colony, Sainikpuri, Hyderabad and looking for someone from Hyderabad to respond.
Old 14th May 2012, 19:29   #2703
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
I remember when we wanted to give my in-laws cat a bath, it was like taking the devil to church!

But why did you want to give the cat a shower ?
Old 14th May 2012, 20:19   #2704
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

But why did you want to give the cat a shower ?
she had a habit of getting into dirty places. her favorite was under the car; i've myself gotten greased trying to get her out there.
Old 14th May 2012, 20:47   #2705
BHPian

Guys, this is a great thread. Going through all the posts & pics made be touchy, as it bought back memories of my pet 'ANNIE' We lost her last year. She lived a fulfilling life of 15.2 yrs. I still remember the day we bought her as a 45 day old puppy, and then the last years of her life when she struggled with aging problems, she was a fighter. She continues to live forever in my heart.

As a tribute to my Superdog posting some of her pics
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-anny-2.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc_0065.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc_0067.jpg  

Old 14th May 2012, 23:25   #2706
Senior - BHPian

@Adi_77 Cute she was..

Story of my Fish Tank

Finally after almost 2 years, i am posting pictures of my Fish Tank (dunno the reason for not posting anything about it..).Thanks to Ariesonu and Pramodkumar for their valuable inputs
(this was long time pending, Thanks again guys). It all started with a big plan to make a tank of 8' long tank for a particular space in my dining or something like a partition between dining/drawing. But found them to be costly and impractical/unfeasible for a newbie and all those good looking Chinese tanks were too costly here. So finally decided to go in for a locally made glass tank ( Wanted to make my own, but work schedule wasn't permitting it), chose a place which was away from sunlight and started working on the project.
First task was to get a proper stand as i wanted to avoid those fabricated iron stands at all costs. So after much of search for something nice and reasonable( good storage space) and several futile visits to Furniture stores, decided to use something available around. Started searching for a suitable stuff to be victimised for my so called plan ( Read it as Paisa bachao Plan),
And there it was....Old Broken Bulky Shoe rack

Team-BHPians and their Pets-photo0185-640x480.jpg

So called in my regular Carpenter and gave him rough designs of what i had on my mind. And the work started
Team-BHPians and their Pets-photo0186-640x480.jpg
Team-BHPians and their Pets-photo0187-640x480.jpg
Team-BHPians and their Pets-photo0189-640x480.jpg
Team-BHPians and their Pets-photo0188-640x480.jpg
Team-BHPians and their Pets-photo0190-640x480.jpg
Bada bing.... a Stand/Cabinet for Fish tank
Team-BHPians and their Pets-stand.jpg
Now it was time time for the Fish tank. So got my self a Plain Fish tank with a lid made from a local guy (workmanship of the guy sucked, with stains of silica all over the place). Got those removed with a screwdriver ( i know that's a foolish way to do it). It remained on the back seat of car for two days, never wanted to take it home as it was to plain jane.
Team-BHPians and their Pets-photo0202-640x480.jpg

I always wanted a good & different back ground for the tank, no usual posters for water gardens, bushes etc. So found a some good 3D background at a leading local Pet shop. Got it done and bought some good artificial plants at stupidly high costs. Those Marble chips or whatever it was given by the tank maker (so decided to keep it for a while, but never knew would replace it within weeks)
Team-BHPians and their Pets-photo0252-640x480.jpg
Team-BHPians and their Pets-photo0247-640x480.jpg
Team-BHPians and their Pets-photo0248-640x480.jpg

Now it was time for conditioning the water and start adding fishes in slow phases. Kept the tank filled with dechlorinated water for a week and a half. Meanwhile my neighbor (Fish hobbyist from his school days) started bugging me to get the tank filled with fishes. Never wanted to do that as it was not suggested by many sites/experts. So started with a pair of Iridescent Shark and Firemouth Cichlids.
Team-BHPians and their Pets-photo0258-640x480.jpg
Team-BHPians and their Pets-photo0263-640x480.jpg

Was happy with keeping these two pairs for a while and was also worried about those marble chips getting water hazy and Milky, but then decided to keep it for a while.
Continued..Will post more of it Tomorrow.

Last edited by Technocrat : 15th May 2012 at 23:57. Reason: Corrected Image inserts in the post, Please avoud using extra formatting. Thanks
Old 15th May 2012, 20:38   #2707
BHPian

One of my friend has a labrador who has been diagnosed with hip dysplasia. He has taken advice from a doctor, but if you guys can share any suggestions/advice, I'd be highly grateful. Thanks.
Old 15th May 2012, 23:25   #2708
Senior - BHPian

Story of my Fish Tank.. Continued

After a week or so, bowing down to my neighbors pressure bought few more fishes pair of Oscars, pair of Green Terror ( never found them aggressive ).

Hazyness in the water was still an issue, thanks to marble chips used as gravel. Irritated by marble chips, changed the gravel with River stones and also bought a Sucker catfish (suggested by pet shop owner).

All went smooth for almost few months with above setup, but then suddenly lost a green terror followed by another green terror and then sucker catfish.
Wasnt ready to loose more fishes, so decided to keep it as it is. 3 months later finally bought a pair of Green Sevurums, which remained happy until few months back i lost one.
Learnt a lot from making hasty & impatient decisions.Now its calm time.

Now after two years the tank holds( sorry havent been able to click'em) a pair of sharks, pair of firemouth cichlids, pair of albino rainbow sharks, pair of spot finned spiny eel and a green sevurum. Everything is fine but still its time to change decor of fish tank as 3D background has started chipping. Will surely post the new look of tank, once its done.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-photo0262-640x480.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-photo0260-640x480-2.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-photo0332-640x480.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-photo0335-640x480.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-photo0334-640x480.jpg  

Old 16th May 2012, 00:13   #2709
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
One of my friend has a labrador who has been diagnosed with hip dysplasia. He has taken advice from a doctor, but if you guys can share any suggestions/advice, I'd be highly grateful. Thanks.
CHD (Canine Hip Dysplasia) usually occurs in large breeds and is largely a genetic defect. There is no magic potion treatment for Hip Dysplasia, unfortunately. If the Dysplasia is severe, the vet may recommend surgery to treat the faulty hip joint and allow some degree of movement. In milder cases, the approach would be to just relieve the pain and allow the dog some normal amount of activity, whilst at the same time taking care not to overfeed, as this could lead to obesity which is even harder to reverse later. Also, it is advised not to make the CHD-affected dogs jump or do such activities which may put sudden stress on the hip joint.

Some people in the dog show arena say CHD symptoms get better if there is a constant, moderate amount of daily activity like walking, where the muscles around the hip joint get stronger and to some extent, compensate for the CHD-induced damage.

It is definitely not something deadly, so he need not panic. I've seen Labs and even St. bernards with CHD live upto the ages of 13-14 with adequate care taken not to overfeed and by including some moderate activity everyday to maintain flexibility in the hip movement. The dog should be able to lead life normally with CHD

P.S - Arthritis usually accompanies CHD, so the vet might recommend some cartilage developing medications. Check with him on this.

Last edited by KarthikK : 16th May 2012 at 00:15.
Old 16th May 2012, 01:33   #2710
BHPian

This is one awesome thread. Been waiting for quite sometime to post.

We had a Female GS which dies on Dec 2010 because of uterous infection after which it took a long time to cope up with its loss for my mom. Finally since she stays alone almost the whole day at home we decided to get a pair of dogs and my mom wanted it to be only GS's.

She wanted to name the female Romie in rememberance of our previous pet. So in March 2011 got a pir of these cute GS's

The one with the red collar is Romie which is a female and the one with the blue collar is Tuffie which is a male.

This was the initial months and in some time they grew up to this

My Dad

After a year they crossed and when Romie was carrying in Feb Tuffy one fine morning vommited blood and dies on the way to the hospital. We doubt it was handy work of some construction workers around our house who could have possibily poisoned it by feeding it something.

We have a huge garden around the house and the pets are let loose outside in the night. Through the grill gate someone must have fed it something. Anyways it was a huge loss to our family and as days passed on the 13th of March our pet Romie gave birth to 8 pups out of which one died as soon as it was born. After 2 days one more died. Finally after a month 6 pups are left which hale and healthy and are the naughtiest pups around.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-18032011024.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-18032011023.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-18032011022.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-16032011019.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-16032011018.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-16032011012.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-05032011006.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-05032011007.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-06122011060.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-06122011061.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-06122011062.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-06122011063.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-15062011135.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-15062011136.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-17042012155.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-17042012156.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-16042012150.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-16042012151.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-16042012153.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-imag0028.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-imag0029.jpg

Last edited by Technocrat : 16th May 2012 at 23:15. Reason: Removed Duplicate Images
Old 23rd May 2012, 09:23   #2711
Senior - BHPian

In continuation to my aquatic family, i added a pair of blue acara which were quite expensive, and they did not survive a single day. i could not understand the reason for it when i had most cichilds in my tank.
Now I have ordered a bigger aquarium of size 120X45X60 cm and has planned to put a flowerhorn in it,
Old 24th May 2012, 09:03   #2712
Senior - BHPian

I came across a flowerhorn parrot hybrid fish as told by the shop keeper, he told that they can be kept in pairs and they do not grow big like a flowerhorn, do anybody has any idea that are they ok to keep in pairs that too in aquarium which already have parrots, oscar, neon acara, angel.
Old 24th May 2012, 11:21   #2713
BHPian

Here are a few pictures of my companion.. Tiger !!

pic1: He got his passport delivered after 2nd round of vaccinations. He is now a recognized TRUE Companion & citizen of BluPlus Pets.

pic2: Thats his reaction when he saw me after a two weeks break. Showing all his happiness

pic3: Boss is telling me, he needs two pillows to rest & one person to talk to, always!

pic4: Fresh after a bath, enjoying the breeze in our balcony

pic5: My wife is at the door and he is wondering what to do. He cant leave his trophy (The king size bed he snatched by waking me up) and neither can he ignore someone at the door !
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-camerazoom20120324175717531.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-camerazoom20120317100034218.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-20120211-16.30.41.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20120421_085451.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20111209_065130.jpg  

Old 24th May 2012, 15:54   #2714
BHPian

Hi Krishna,

These are lovely pics, your dog is a cutie. I like the third picture the most. It seems to be a short haired German Shepherd (correct me if I am wrong). I just love dogs, trying to get one home but lost in a dilemma between a pedigree or adopt one from Blue cross. Should take the decision soon.

Wish you good times with your Tiger !

Cheers.
Old 24th May 2012, 17:03   #2715
BANNED

This is one awesome thread and started posting my pets details.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-image430.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-image431.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-image441.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-image529.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-image579.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-image635.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-image695.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-image931.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks