Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2012, 16:57   #2761
BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Yeah 6-7 hours is around the max that they should be taken till. I agree, even 6-7 hours is rare. If my family goes out for a full day for more than 7-8 hours, say to a resort or something on a weekend, we have our maid servant check in on the dog, take her out and stay for a while in between. Even this is rare.

Training dogs to use the Indian style toilets should be fairly okay to accomplish since they are at floor level, but how does one actually train the dog to use a western commode? I am curious to know, sounds almost impossible. Most of the modern houses (including mine) have only WC and no IC, so I have never attempted 'toilet-training' at home.

Or perhaps by 'using toilet' they mean the dog does it in the toilet room and the owners wash / pick it up later ?? @nitin_80 please confirm the method you use.

Oh yes, by toilet training I meant letting them do it on the floor of the toilet and then you pick it up and flush it. No way a dog can be trained to use a western commode unless its a really really tall Great Dane.

Many owners dont like their dog doing it on the bathroom floor but I think its a lot better for a dog if he has the freedom to relieve himself whenever he wants to, rather than holding on. As you have rightly mentioned it is a lot easier for people staying in independant houses, but for flat owners it sometimes becomes tedious and also during heavy rainfall or extreme heat its better for the dog to do it at home.

The longest we have left our dogs alone at home was almost 18 hours when we had gone on a trip to Shirdi. We fed the dogs well at 9:00 PM We loaded their bowls with dog food and left. We returned next day around 4:00 PM. They were ok - no howling, barking or whining while we were away. We treated them to a long walk and some goodies as a reward for being obedient.

Some pics of our pets, posted earlier in this thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post2703155
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post2717319

Last edited by nitin_80 : 12th June 2012 at 17:08. Reason: pics
Old 12th June 2012, 23:11   #2762
Senior - BHPian

Is there a chance to keep dogs, when someone at home is allergic to their fur ? My sis and me love to keep dogs, mom is neutral, however dad is very allergic to the dog coat and has been advised against having dogs at home.

Any pointers to a particular breed which doesn't/sheds little ? We need a guard dog to keep petty thieves at bay.

Last edited by shashank.nk : 12th June 2012 at 23:12. Reason: Removed words
Old 12th June 2012, 23:22   #2763
BHPian

shashank go for a doberman least shedding but if your dad is allergic then the breed wont matter he will still get his allergy.
I got myself a doberman for the same reason with the same results the dog is scratching and the wife is itching.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-14052012342.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-10062012422.jpg  

Old 13th June 2012, 10:53   #2764
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin_80 View Post
Oh yes, by toilet training I meant letting them do it on the floor of the toilet and then you pick it up and flush it. No way a dog can be trained to use a western commode unless its a really really tall Great Dane.

Many owners dont like their dog doing it on the bathroom floor but I think its a lot better for a dog if he has the freedom to relieve himself whenever he wants to, rather than holding on. As you have rightly mentioned it is a lot easier for people staying in independant houses, but for flat owners it sometimes becomes tedious and also during heavy rainfall or extreme heat its better for the dog to do it at home.

The longest we have left our dogs alone at home was almost 18 hours when we had gone on a trip to Shirdi. We fed the dogs well at 9:00 PM We loaded their bowls with dog food and left. We returned next day around 4:00 PM. They were ok - no howling, barking or whining while we were away. We treated them to a long walk and some goodies as a reward for being obedient.

Some pics of our pets, posted earlier in this thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post2703155
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post2717319
Thanks, Brilliant pics of your pet family nitin, lovely looking lab and pug there . Do share some more of the pics if possible. Interesting to know about the 18 hour ordeal that they managed through. I think you are lucky to be able to have 3 of them. They could keep each other company. A single dog may have got bored after such a long time alone, and resorted to some mischief *lol*.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Is there a chance to keep dogs, when someone at home is allergic to their fur ? My sis and me love to keep dogs, mom is neutral, however dad is very allergic to the dog coat and has been advised against having dogs at home.

Any pointers to a particular breed which doesn't/sheds little ? We need a guard dog to keep petty thieves at bay.
Check this out for starters -

Dogs Good For Allergy Suffers, Hypo-allergenic dogs

Most of those breeds aren't available in India I guess. Your closest bets are shih-tzu and poodle. Poodle is quite an effort to groom, so you might need to do some research here on such hypo-allergenic dogs. Do NOT, and i mean Do NOT go for heavy shedders with double coats. They shed 365 days a year and are not recommended for people with allergies towards pet fur/dander.

One person near my house was suffering with allergies like you mention. He bought a Rottweiler first and later a Beagle also (both short-haired breeds with average shedding). He is doing fine with both of them, so I am assuming even they both should be okay for you to consider. The beagle however is not good as a guard dog. He will turn out to be a goofy clown who loves to play, play and play all day long.

Last edited by KarthikK : 13th June 2012 at 10:59.
Old 13th June 2012, 11:14   #2765
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post

Well if your dad has been advised against keeping dogs at home by a doctor then I would suggest to refrain from keeping any type of breed. All dog breeds however minimal fur they have and however little they shed do lose fur and even a small amount of microscopic floating hair follicles is enough to trigger an allergy especially if its an ailment like asthma/bronchitis.

Even the natural dog body odor and ticks are known to cause allergies.

If its an allergy not so serious as mentioned then maybe you could try taking your dad to someone's house with dogs or invite someone with their dog to come over to your place for few hours and check if it affects your dad.
Old 13th June 2012, 12:29   #2766
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, Brilliant pics of your pet family nitin, lovely looking lab and pug there . Do share some more of the pics if possible. Interesting to know about the 18 hour ordeal that they managed through. I think you are lucky to be able to have 3 of them. They could keep each other company. A single dog may have got bored after such a long time alone, and resorted to some mischief *lol*.

Thanks @KarthikK,

Will surely upload some more pics.

Yes you are absolutely right in saying that a single dog would have got bored and probably chewed up half the bedroom if left alone for such a long time.
We started training our dogs to be alone in the bedroom right from their childhood, keeping them alone for an hour and slowly increasing it to 4-5 hours. Actually quite often they sleep without us at night in their bedroom, so they are more or less used to being alone for 8-10 hours at a stretch. Useful especially when we have to go for late night movies or short outings.

BTW my friend recently mentioned there is a place in bangalore where you can take your dog for a swim - a pond sort of thing. They charge by the hour. I have been looking out for a place here in Mumbai where I could take my dogs for a swim. But other than the beaches no such place here.

Last edited by nitin_80 : 13th June 2012 at 12:41.
Old 13th June 2012, 13:15   #2767
BHPian

Quote:
BTW my friend recently mentioned there is a place in bangalore where you can take your dog for a swim - a pond sort of thing.
Can you provide more info on this, if possible a PM will also do, thanks!
Old 13th June 2012, 13:27   #2768
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
BTW my friend recently mentioned there is a place in bangalore where you can take your dog for a swim - a pond sort of thing. They charge by the hour. I have been looking out for a place here in Mumbai where I could take my dogs for a swim. But other than the beaches no such place here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alstonlobo View Post
Can you provide more info on this, if possible a PM will also do, thanks!
Brilliant stuff! My golden used to swim when I used to go on hikes / treks during trips. But that was just splashing about in small streams and stuff like that. I'd love to try out this pond you speak of. Please post details of this place. Don't listen to astonlobo, don't PM him . Post it on this thread so all we water-deprived bangaloreans can make use of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstonlobo View Post
Shucks! I thought my pets would get the pond all for themselves!
At least you have the beaches in Mangalore to make them swim in. We have only sewerage drains here in Bangalore. Take pity on us

Last edited by KarthikK : 13th June 2012 at 13:42.
Old 13th June 2012, 13:33   #2769
BHPian

Quote:
Brilliant stuff! My golden used to swim when I used to go on hikes / treks during trips. But that was just splashing about in small streams and stuff like that. I'd love to try out this pond you speak of. Please post details of this place. Don't listen to astonlobo, don't PM him . Post it on this thread so all we water-deprived bangaloreans can make use of it.
Shucks! I thought my pets would get the pond all for themselves!
Old 13th June 2012, 13:49   #2770
Senior - BHPian

I have a query which probably pet lovers here can answer. One of my neighbours uses our parking lots to bathe his two dogs and some common areas for their potty work. Its a new building in an existing society and most of us have only moved in a few weeks ago. The dog owner has been living in an existing building for the last few years.

Though this is in the open, we have requested him to either clean up after his dogs poop or take them elsewhere to poop. This part is non negotiable as we dont want vehicle tyre marks with dog poop all over the common areas
As for the bathing part, I am non committal but my other neighbours are bullish. What risk will this have, if any? The water flows into a rainwater drain easily and is not really a problem as long as the bathing stays within his parking lot. Is there something else I should know?

Quote:
The longest we have left our dogs alone at home was almost 18 hours when we had gone on a trip to Shirdi.
In such cases, do you leave a key with a neighbour in case of any emergency/ evacuation issue?
Do you have any issues from your neighbours if you are living in an apartment building?
Old 13th June 2012, 14:03   #2771
BHPian

Quote:

At least you have the beaches in Mangalore to make them swim in. We have only sewerage drains here in Bangalore. Take pity on us
Just smsed my friend asking about this place. He said Sankey Tank. He said he'll give me more details about this place by evening. Will post it then.
Old 13th June 2012, 14:08   #2772
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
As for the bathing part, I am non committal but my other neighbours are bullish. What risk will this have, if any? The water flows into a rainwater drain easily and is not really a problem as long as the bathing stays within his parking lot. Is there something else I should know?
With bathing, The only risk I foresee is a possible clogging of the water drain with dog fur, if the drain opening holes are too small. This would be if either of or both the dogs have long hair. As long as this is not happening, there is no reason to bother. Normally apartment dwellers do this bath ritual on the terrace or in a balcony where there is access to direct sunlight and perhaps tapwater.

I cannot for the life of me understand why he should make them relieve themselves in your housing complex everyday. He is either plain lazy or is trying to take revenge on someone by annoying. It is not only about dirtying the place with tyres running over it, it is also a potential sanitation/hygiene problem breeding bacteria and flies and what not. If this guy did in US of A what he is doing now, he might have been jailed! Ask him to take them out of your building for nature's calls! don't tolerate that anymore

Last edited by KarthikK : 13th June 2012 at 14:14.
Old 13th June 2012, 14:15   #2773
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
I have a query which probably pet lovers here can answer. One of my neighbours uses our parking lots to bathe his two dogs and some common areas for their potty work. Its a new building in an existing society and most of us have only moved in a few weeks ago. The dog owner has been living in an existing building for the last few years.

Though this is in the open, we have requested him to either clean up after his dogs poop or take them elsewhere to poop. This part is non negotiable as we dont want vehicle tyre marks with dog poop all over the common areas

In such cases, do you leave a key with a neighbour in case of any emergency/ evacuation issue?
Do you have any issues from your neighbours if you are living in an apartment building?

It is definitely the owner's responsibility to clean up after his dog poops in the common area. About bathing the dogs I dont think there is any issue apart from the fact that there's a lot of hair washed away when bathing a dog, but since you say it is drained off properly there should be no cause for concern.

Yes, we do always have a key with our neighbour who sometimes take a peek at the dogs when we are out for a long time. As for the society it comprises of just 18 flats, out of which 6 flats own dogs. So not much opposition really.
Old 13th June 2012, 14:25   #2774
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
With bathing, The only risk I foresee is a possible clogging of the water drain with dog fur, if the drain opening holes are too small.
Quote:
About bathing the dogs I dont think there is any issue apart from the fact that there's a lot of hair washed away when bathing a dog, but since you say it is drained off properly there should be no cause for concern.
yes, the parking lot (or bathing lot) slopes straight down to the gutter. So it gets washed away straight to a bigger drain.

Quote:
I cannot for the life of me understand why he should make them relieve themselves in your housing complex everyday. He is either plain lazy or is trying to take revenge on someone by annoying.
I think its the latter. As he was only using one specific parking lot for this purpose! Nevertheless, this has already been dealt with and he has been told in no uncertain terms through his existing society.

Perhaps his dog got used to the location when our building was under construction and wont do the job anywhere else. Not really sure. And dont really care as long as he poops elsewhere.
Old 14th June 2012, 10:13   #2775
Senior - BHPian

I have ordered a new modular aquarium of size 105X60X45 cm for my fishes. i was a looking for a bigger aquarium and had first placed order for a handmade aquarium, but after having a look on modular one i had a different mind, Modular looks awesome (but a lot expensive over a handmade) now waiting for delivery and moving my fishes over to their new home

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks