Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2013, 20:57   #3136
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Any behavioural changes such as sleeping more, lethargy, red eyes, etc?

I don't think his problem is the heat. The panting is due to the shortness of breath caused by something else - could be a side effect of the medications or some other problem troubling him. How long back did this poisoning episode happen?
Check his fur. Is it falling? I think he has not recovered fully from poisoning.
Take him to the Government Vet Hospital, ask to see the Head of Dept of Internal Medicine and ask for help.

Note from Support - Please avoid quoting an entire lengthy post as it inconveniences our mobile and small screen users.

Last edited by n_aditya : 12th March 2013 at 13:08.
Old 11th March 2013, 20:58   #3137
Senior - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

My Lab is now 7/5 years old.

. Ensure that injections are given at regular intervals - Rabies, distemper and parvo virus as well as de-worming. Our vet gave us a card with a schedule on it. Further all the injections come with a sticker where the name, batch number and dose is printed. This is stuck on the card after each dose, so we have a history of all the medication.

. Panting in Delhi heat is common, especially after a bit of light exercise - running up the stairs etc (it is usually accompanied by a lot of drool). Gasping is different - here the whole body moves. That is due to breathing problem (and at times asthma)

. Regarding food, there is a lot of discussion on internet - packaged food versus home cooked food. From day one I have given our lab home cooked food (details are quite some posts in the past). Briefly
- Rice cooked with vegetables masoor dal, turmeric, garlic and a bit of oil. Meat is optional - some times we put some time not. Use parboiled rice it has all the vitamins needed. In a 5L pressure cooker - 1/4 rice, 1/2 vegetables, 1/20 dal, one teaspoon of turmeric, one spoon of garlic, one spoon of oil = 10 meals, 5 days
- Raw mutton pieces or chicken carcass - initially daily. After two years twice a week, now randomly - once a week or fortnight - improves teeth, gums and breath. (no doggy smell, no bad breadth)
- Milk in morning and evening - 1 cup, followed by rusk or Marie biscuits (3)
- Lot of water : 1-2L in winter and upwards of 4L in summer. Ensure that the water bowl is always full, else dehydration is possible in dry heat.

After his second year we started giving him cooked mutton and chicken bones, as and when we have the meat, but not more than a handful, else he tends to vomit after five or six hours (too much of a good thing)

His meals are regular, but treats random.

Ensure that the dog gets enough but not too much. Our lab can easily eat up thrice his ration every meal. A lean dog is lively and lives longer.

My lab sheds hair twice a year for about a month. The quantity is phenomenal. I estimate enough to fill a decent pillow every two weeks

Team-BHPians and their Pets-doggy.jpg
Then

Team-BHPians and their Pets-leo.jpg
Now

Last edited by Aroy : 11th March 2013 at 21:04.
Old 12th March 2013, 06:56   #3138
BHPian

This Sunday, we had a new addition to our family - an absolutely adorable Golden Retriever pup. Here he is, on his ride home.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dscf0829.jpg

Haven't decided on a name yet, but thinking along the lines of Bruno or Cody. Have prepared a cosy area for him in the biggest verandah of the house with his own bed, toys etc. Have begun the marathon House Training process by taking him to the bathroom every hour or so, and now guess what...Whenever he gets sleepy, he walks up to the bathroom, gets in and promptly nods off!! Gets up, and walks into his verandah/stay area, and relieves himself or poops . I am sure he does that to simply torture us . Man, is he a bundle of joy or what?
Old 12th March 2013, 19:09   #3139
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkat_iyer View Post
This Sunday, we had a new addition to our family - an absolutely adorable Golden Retriever pup. Here he is, on his ride home.
Not surprised that he has already started torturing you. That is one of the naughtiest looking pups I have seen. His face in the pic is shouting naughty from all angles. Do post more pics. I have always loved this breed but opted for a lab finally since the hair fall with the retriever might be too much to handle. My lab sheds enough hair to give us a headache, god knows how much a retriever will shed.
Old 13th March 2013, 12:39   #3140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Not surprised that he has already started torturing you. That is one of the naughtiest looking pups I have seen. His face in the pic is shouting naughty from all angles. Do post more pics. I have always loved this breed but opted for a lab finally since the hair fall with the retriever might be too much to handle. My lab sheds enough hair to give us a headache, god knows how much a retriever will shed.
Thanks! Yes, i will upload some more pics over the weekend, have not downloaded them yet. He keeps getting naughtier by the hour, doing all sorts of crazy stuff. The hair fall issue was definitely one that we had considered, but we already have a lab in the near family next door, so we decided to go with the retriever. But it will be surely a challenge. His hair is fine and small now, but still there is more than enough hair all round the house within a few hours
Old 13th March 2013, 15:00   #3141
BHPian

The best part about labs (or perhaps all dogs) is that they always stay naughty and innocent. @Venkat_iyer - You've got a real cute one there.

Let me also share some more pics of Angel (Female lab, 7 years). She is extremely well behaved but at the same time has dollops of attitude. Stop her from playing with neighbour's kids and she won't eat her meals till you apologise.

Whenever she is caught doing something naughty, she tries the following tricks.

What are you saying? I did that?
Team-BHPians and their Pets-what-you-saying.jpg

Probe a bit and...

It wasn't me
Team-BHPians and their Pets-wasnt-me.jpg

On further probing, we get this
Team-BHPians and their Pets-smile.jpg

If nothing works

Mummy, he is disturbing me!

Team-BHPians and their Pets-mummy.jpg

Along with all this there are cute reactions like these.

It's winter in Delhi and you expect me to come out of my bed and wag my tail?

Team-BHPians and their Pets-wagging-tail.jpg

Can I get a little bit of that cake??? I will walk an extra mile after that, promise.
Team-BHPians and their Pets-cake.jpg

I am a family member so, I am allowed to sleep on this bed. Why are you looking at me?
Team-BHPians and their Pets-bed.jpg
Old 13th March 2013, 15:55   #3142
BHPian

Not my dog, but here's a picture of a friend's dog that I had taken.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-dog_photo3.jpg  

Old 14th March 2013, 02:09   #3143
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidkun View Post
Not my dog, but here's a picture of a friend's dog that I had taken.
That's a beautiful pic. Would have been better if the dog was looking down a bit.
Old 14th March 2013, 14:19   #3144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post

Let me also share some more pics of Angel (Female lab, 7 years).
Wonderful pictures and taglines!! Do post some more pictures of her.
Old 16th March 2013, 23:10   #3145
BHPian

Guys, i am in requirement to find a german bloodline german shepherd stud in chennai.
I would prefer a stud with paper and microchip with bloodline information. Does any of you have information regarding the same?
Old 17th March 2013, 03:09   #3146
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzledMoose View Post
Guys, i am in requirement to find a german bloodline german shepherd stud in chennai.
I would prefer a stud with paper and microchip with bloodline information. Does any of you have information regarding the same?
Could you please PM me? I could help you out.
Old 27th March 2013, 17:21   #3147
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooloovoo View Post
I'm very sorry for your loss. Kudos to your mom for wanting to adopt a stray pup. There are many good NGOs in Chennai, including the SPCA and PeTA.
. . .
Good luck finding the right pup for your family, do post pics once you do!
Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Sorry for your loss!! It's very hard to cope up with loss of someone dear.

rgarding adoption of a stray you can post on the FB page of http://www.indog.co.in/ (indog club). I have seen many appeal for adoption there. You can also contact the owner of the page.
Hey guys,
Finally the D-day arrived. Landed in Madras yesterday night, I had been constantly pushing the adoption aspect over the last few days. Saw a few ads in the Hindu about puppies for adoption, called up one of the number. After a long "discussion", I was asked to give my contact details but received no updates since then. Although I tried explaining that we have had a dog in the past, plus a spacious house with sufficient garden space, but was told this would take time.

Meanwhile we also informed a few friends (who have pets) asking them to inform us if anyone needs a dog to be adopted. And then headed straight to Blue Cross. Till now my mom wasn't 100% sure if we were ready to adopt one, but a few minutes at the shelter dissolved all doubts.

Picked up a beautiful brown pup, completed the basic formalities & de-worming, and headed straight home. The poor kid is probably still missing the company of his litter-mates (and his mother of course), but he sleeping it off mostly.

Thankfully my parents agree with me on my suggestion of having two dogs - so we are still going to wait if any of our family friends revert back on our request. One thing is clear - we are not going to "buy" a dog.

Pics to be put up later once the lil fellow warms up to the new household.

P.s. Suggestions invited for food options for a 1+ month old pup. Currently he's drinking milk as if there's no tomorrow.
Old 27th March 2013, 18:01   #3148
Senior - BHPian

I must say that seeing such loving and innocent faces of these cute dogs pulls strings in my heart.

I grew up having dogs at home and after the last one (3rd pet at home) passed away (we had to put her down as suggested by the vet, since she was suffering) we decided on no more pets.

It's harrowing and painful to see them suffering and they not being able to express their pain verbally... but their eyes say it all.

I long for a pet dog and sometimes just feel like going and getting one but hold back thinking of those painful days when we had to let go of our last one.

A neighbor has 2 dogs at home and sometimes on weekends we go over just to pet them. My son loves dogs too but is a bit apprehensive of them licking and jumping so he just pats them delicately.

Here is a pic which was taken this last December, when we were holidaying at a beach resort in Surathkal. The lab belongs to the owner of the resort and he enjoyed all the attention we showered on him. He goes by the name Osho.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_6471.jpg
Old 2nd April 2013, 16:59   #3149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post

Here is a pic which was taken this last December, when we were holidaying at a beach resort in Surathkal. The lab belongs to the owner of the resort and he enjoyed all the attention we showered on him. He goes by the name Osho.
Isn't this Red Rock, Surathkal? Saw the same dog couple of days ago there. He is an absolute darling, extremely friendly, loves being around people. I thought something was wrong with his eyes as his eyes looked odd,may be because of old age.

Here's our dog, Sparky - two and a half months old.
Team-BHPians and their Pets-dscn4418.jpg
Team-BHPians and their Pets-dscn4429.jpg

Can anyone suggest a good brand of dog shampoo/soap? Now I know dogs are not meant to be bathed frequesntly as it affects their skin and hair( robs the hair of its natural oil and causes itching). Therefore, we decided that probably once a week bath for our dog would be safe.

Also, planning to shift to normal food for him in a few days time. He will be turning 3 months old in a couple of weeks time. I have read and been told to avoid giving any milk to our dog as it causes worms in his stomach. It confuses me, because we had a pomeranian long time ago, and we used to give him milk everyday. He enjoyed drinking milk and nothing ever happened to him because of the milk. Any inputs from experts would be appreciated.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 2nd April 2013 at 17:01.
Old 2nd April 2013, 17:10   #3150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
Can anyone suggest a good brand of dog shampoo/soap?
I use Arnibax. This is good shampoo and is made by Pfizer.
http://www.dogspot.in/arnibax-dog-shampoo-vetnex/

Most Viewed