Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Et Cetera
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2013, 11:51   #3226
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
All Govt. facilities are actually designed to be least expensive or no expense at all. But rarely we get a good experience there. Good to know about this, shall recommend to my Bangalore friends. Thanks for sharing.
He's actually lucky to have had a good experience.
Maybe they have changed, but my one experience 13 years ago put me off of Govt vets forever.
Their fix for my dog with high fever was to pour a bucket of water on her. I literally jumped and pushed him away.
Never again.
Old 16th June 2013, 12:51   #3227
BHPian

Quote:
I want to know what should I feed them for monsoon season (u know cold weather) Eggs and veggies. I can't cook meat for them in my house, but i can buy it raw from a shop.
If you are suggesting meat, please tell me the variety, type approx cost and if any care to be taken while purchasing. Don't know anything about it either.
Love hearing how people help out stray dogs! kudos to you. While there is a raw meat diet many people advocate abroad - its called BARF - in India due to the way we store the meat etc, it's not a good idea to feed them the meat raw. Your strays may take a while to get used to packaged food such as pedigree or drools, so mix it in with whatever they've been eating - first 20%, then 40%, 60% - you get my drift. You can ask your pet store for sample packs so you dont buy a huge one until you're sure they'll take to it.

Quote:
Maybe they have changed, but my one experience 13 years ago put me off of Govt vets forever.
Their fix for my dog with high fever was to pour a bucket of water on her. I literally jumped and pushed him away.
Never again.
Thats crazy. The government facility here in Bombay, Bai Sakarbai Dinshaw Petit hospital in Parel is quite decent. I've taken my dogs there on occasions where emergency care was needed and my regular vet was shut. Also volunteered there. While the medical services are upto par, I'd never leave my dog in a kennel there to recuperate.

Last edited by msbehave : 16th June 2013 at 12:54.
Old 16th June 2013, 13:53   #3228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Just for knowledge of the Bangalore pet owners.

The other day my 12 year old developed breathing difficulty and could not lie down. He also had a bad cough. So when I told my vet over the phone he directed me to the Govt. vet hospital at Hebbal.

This experience was a wonderful surprise. It was so clean, neat and professional I was shocked. They filled in a form and I waited till I was called in. Here a young intern took the history of the illness and while doing that a senior doc came and told him to take an ECG ASAP. (my vet had phoned the senior doc). On the ECG and examination they diagnosed heart failure and gave him lasix injection. After an hour they repeated it. Then prescribed some other tablets which I bought and gave my dog as scheduled.

Now he is absolutely fine but we have to take precautions as his heart is weak.

to the Govt. Vet hospital at Hebbal

PS. I was charged a princely sum of Rs 10/- for the whole treatment
The Hebbal facility is wonderful. I have been using it off and on for the last ten years for all my dogs. Our Vet, Dr. Ansar is a Senior Veterinarian there and he also has a practice in HSR. A wonderful man who has looked after all my dogs these last ten years.

I will say the same for the Madras facility as well. The Vepery Vet Hospital is first class too. I have also experienced the Pondicherry Veterinary Hospital. Again a first class one.

Yes, there are odd blokes who may not be the most compassionate vets etc but by and large they are good and they are, lets remember, doing a fantastic yeoman service for little or no money, compared to private Veterinary practices.

I have seen them look after poor abandoned animals also with the same compassion. That deserves a BIG Hand from all animal aficionados out here!

The one thing I will wait for eagerly, is Mr Ratan Tata's animal hospital. That is bound to be absolutely world class. He really loves animals and his Alsatians in particular. I hope that once the first one is opened, it becomes like an institution and begets branches all over India, especially where the concentration of pet, working as well as poor stray animals is high.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 16th June 2013 at 13:56.
Old 17th June 2013, 11:31   #3229
BHPian

thanks for the tips guys, I'll definitely follow them.

currently I'm facing a problem..... very very cute one.

yesterday evening, i went down to my parking to clean and lubricate my bikes chain.. the small puppy (1 yr old) saw me there and came running. absolutely "don't work, feed me, play with me " attitude. His mom came there too, but kept her distance.
tried to taste my T-panas, oil can, chain spray, my hands everything... succeeded in most of the things.... i was wearing a kurta, which now has two paw marks !!
my brother was standing there too... he was enjoying my situation and laughing.. and saying "ajun laad kar tyanche" (pamper them more !!)

I was shouting "I want to clean and lube my bikes' chains... ek hi to Sunday hi milta hai beta" (just one sunday I get to do this) finally after licking my palms for few minutes and scolding from me he went away (ie just a meter away :facepalm: ) and I finished my work.. awesome !!!!
even after more than 12 hrs,as i'm typing this, I have a big smile ( ) on my face... !!!

PS : tell me how can I train him to sit at distance from me. simple commands like STAY, SIT, GO ETC. i'm big time DIYer, with my bikes. aise to main kuch kar hi nahi sakunga !! (i won't be able to do anything if this continues) not that I'm complaining about it, but.... you know. youtube video links will help a lot

Dogs are the best !

Last edited by motionfreak : 17th June 2013 at 11:36.
Old 17th June 2013, 12:17   #3230
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motionfreak View Post

PS : tell me how can I train him to sit at distance from me. simple commands like STAY, SIT, GO ETC.

Dogs are the best !
I trained two street dogs to sit and stand when said so. For this, I used to hold a biscuit in my hand, and then tell "sit" a few times. The dog will start coming close to you, stand on two legs and so on. Move front towards the dog a bit and he will sit. As soon as he sits, feed him. In case he stands, do not. He will then understand that he will get the biscuit only when he sits. Also make him familiar with the "sit " command so that after a few rounds of exercise, he will obey them without a biscuit.
Old 17th June 2013, 12:26   #3231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motionfreak View Post

currently I'm facing a problem..... very very cute one.

yesterday evening, i went down to my parking to clean and lubricate my bikes chain.. the small puppy (1 yr old) saw me there and came running. absolutely "don't work, feed me, play with me " attitude. His mom came there too, but kept her distance.
tried to taste my T-panas, oil can, chain spray, my hands everything... succeeded in most of the things.... i was wearing a kurta, which now has two paw marks !!
my brother was standing there too... he was enjoying my situation and laughing.. and saying "ajun laad kar tyanche" (pamper them more !!)

I was shouting "I want to clean and lube my bikes' chains... ek hi to Sunday hi milta hai beta" (just one sunday I get to do this) finally after licking my palms for few minutes and scolding from me he went away (ie just a meter away :facepalm: ) and I finished my work.. awesome !!!!
even after more than 12 hrs,as i'm typing this, I have a big smile ( ) on my face... !!!

PS : tell me how can I train him to sit at distance from me. simple commands like STAY, SIT, GO ETC. i'm big time DIYer, with my bikes. aise to main kuch kar hi nahi sakunga !! (i won't be able to do anything if this continues) not that I'm complaining about it, but.... you know. Youtube video links will help a lot

Dogs are the best !

Hey Motionfreak,

Nice little experience you had there! Even I have Mom Son pair in our building parking, and they identify the sound of my car or bike the moment I enter the complex. We generally feed them whatever leftovers we have in our house along with Rice. Teaching them would need your time and dedication, and they are very obidient. All the best!!
Old 17th June 2013, 15:49   #3232
BHPian

Quote:
tell me how can I train him to sit at distance from me. simple commands like STAY, SIT, GO ETC. i'm big time DIYer, with my bikes. aise to main kuch kar hi nahi sakunga !!
Sit: Take a handful of treats with you. Keep a tiny piece in your hand and place it near the pups nose, dont allow him to get to it and start moving your hand slowly upwards. Guide the treat from his nose level up over his head, the treat should be a few centimeters away from your dog at all times. The pup will follow the treat up with his nose and at the same time his rear end will hit the ground. As soon as his behind hits the ground, say good boy, give him a pat and then the treat. This should be the protocol whenever you have a training session with him - so that eventually we can randomize and phase out food treats. The good boy + pat are integral and timing is key.

If the pup moves backward or jumps to get the biscuit, your hand is too far back over his head, or you're holding it too far away from his nose. Repeat this step until your dog learns the action of sitting [I'd give it two concentrated 10-15 minute training sessions spread over 2 days] Then you have to pair the action with the verbal command. As he begins the process of sitting, before he completes the sit, say "sit".

As I said earlier, timing is key - Dogs have a 2 second association period within which they associate an act to a reward or punishment. So, its important to reward him very quickly.

Keep your training sessions short, 10-15 minutes max and repeat them often and in varying times of the day etc. Your enthusiasm level affects the pup so be as cheery as possible when you say good boy!

Stay - Ideally, let him fully learn the sit command before trying out the stay. Once you are confident of his sit command - with the dog sitting perpendicular to you, hold a bowl of dog’s food at your chest level and tell him to “stay.” Move the food bowl (with food it in, topped with tasty treats) about 4 to 6 inches toward the floor. If your dog stays sitting, say good boy and feed him a treat from the bowl.

If your dog gets up, cheerfully say “Oops!” and raise the bowl back up, and ask him to sit again. Your “Oops!” is what’s known as a “no-reward marker.” It lets your dog know that getting up from the sit makes the food bowl go away.

If he remains sitting, lower the bowl 4 to 6 inches again. Say good boy and give him a treat if he’s still sitting. If he gets up a second time, say “Oops!” and raise the bowl, and then have him sit. On your next try, only lower the bowl an inch or two. Praise and treat for each success.

Repeat this step several times until your dog consistently remains sitting as you lower the bowl. Gradually move the bowl closer to the floor with succeeding repetitions until you can place it on the floor two feet away from your dog without him trying to get up or eat it. After each repetition, stand up straight and raise the bowl all the way back up.

Finally, place the bowl on the floor and give your dog permission to eat. After he has had a few bites, lift the bowl up and try again.
Repeat these steps, alternating between picking up the bowl before he eats and giving her permission to eat, until you can consistently place the bowl on the floor and he doesn’t move until you tell him he can.

One of the great things about “food bowl stays” is that if you feed your dog twice a day, you already have two natural training sessions built into your schedule! If he exhibits any growling around his food being withheld stop the exercise immediately and I can give you another method.
Old 20th June 2013, 18:07   #3233
Distinguished - BHPian

Feeling extremely terrible for all the animals ( strays etc..) in flood affected uttarakhand. Equally sad regarding the human causalities but atleast there is some hope and rescue operations for them. What about the hundreds of stray dogs etc. Somehow the thought is haunting me from a couple of days. May there souls rest in peace and the ones alive have the strength to fight it out.
Old 21st June 2013, 15:05   #3234
BHPian

Snake!!

Guys need some urgent info, my friend has caught a cobra at his house in Banaswadi Bangalore and needs some place to release it. Do you guys know anyone who can come and pick it up?
Old 21st June 2013, 17:19   #3235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpsycho View Post
Guys need some urgent info, my friend has caught a cobra at his house in Banaswadi Bangalore and needs some place to release it. Do you guys know anyone who can come and pick it up?
Try contacting CUPA Bangalore. www.cupabangalore.org
Old 24th June 2013, 14:57   #3236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Feeling extremely terrible for all the animals ( strays etc..) in flood affected uttarakhand. Equally sad regarding the human causalities but atleast there is some hope and rescue operations for them. What about the hundreds of stray dogs etc. Somehow the thought is haunting me from a couple of days. May there souls rest in peace and the ones alive have the strength to fight it out.

There is some rescue work happening for the animals of Uttarakhand:

One PFA is PFA Uttarkhand http://pfauttarakhand.org/

And the other PFA is PFA Dehra Doon

http://www.pfadehradoon.org/

Help Animals India has partnered with PFA DehraDoon http://www.pfadehradoon.org/
and another
local NGO who is most familiar with the area to help the equines AAGAAS www.aagaasngo.org

They had been planning to help 76 abandoned equines in the forest and for education camps right before the flood.

The two NGO’s PFA DehraDoon and AAGAAS Federation are committed to long term help to the equines of this area . Mumbai activists are also arriving to help in this emergency.

And now are going in next week with relief efforts while the other group (PFA Utterkhand and Humane Society International) already left, great! So much help is needed!
http://http://www.news24online.com/n...s24_21472.aspx

At any rate, long term term help is also needed, to save lives now and later when the roads are rebuilt.

Last edited by msbehave : 24th June 2013 at 14:59.
Old 24th June 2013, 15:04   #3237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post

You may also contact petownersandanimallovers@gmail.com to make a contribution/donation in helping this group travelling to Uttarakhand in rescuing the animals.
Old 24th June 2013, 19:53   #3238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbehave View Post
Try contacting CUPA Bangalore. www.cupabangalore.org
Thanks MsBehave,

He called a few animal rescue, however most of them said, since it was already captured they had no role to play and asked us to release it ourself.
Old 24th June 2013, 22:01   #3239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpsycho View Post
Thanks MsBehave,

He called a few animal rescue, however most of them said, since it was already captured they had no role to play and asked us to release it ourself.
You can put the snake in a gunny bag and release it in Bannergatta National park, or contact one of my friend who is a reptile rescuer, will ping you his contact number.

If contact number does not work (since it has been long I contacted him), you can call Just dial and ask them to send a snake rescuer, they will come and take the snake with them.
Old 24th June 2013, 22:05   #3240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
You can put the snake in a gunny bag and release it in Bannergatta National park, or contact one of my friend who is a reptile rescuer, will ping you his contact number.

If contact number does not work (since it has been long I contacted him), you can call Just dial and ask them to send a snake rescuer, they will come and take the snake with them.
Hi Googleman,

The snake was captured on the 21st and was released the next day itself, it was a young snake and did not want to stress it out. We found thickets nearby a railway track which is not accessible.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks