Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2013, 23:17   #3496
BHPian

Friends,

I type this with a heavy heart. I have an adorable 6 year old female Labrador who's an absolute sweetheart. She's been a blessing to my family for the past 6 years and she's the reason for our happiness. However as they say, all good things have to come to an end.

Unfortunately I am in a situation in my personal life where I can't take care of her anymore. I know it's too late and she's already nearing 6. But I can't afford to do injustice to her by not tending to her needs. She's been pampered and taken care of like a princess till now. She's extremely playful and quite active.

So here I am requesting and pleading all you kind souls to help me find a home for her. Somehow I can't imagine leaving her in CUPA or any other similar organizations. I just don't trust them enough. I'm looking for a family or a farmhouse or something similar where she can live happily and my family would be allowed to just visit her once a while.

I don't know if it's asking too much but I hope and pray for a miracle. If any of you can help me with this please PM me. I'm put up in Bangalore.
Old 24th December 2013, 04:40   #3497
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
Friends, I type this with a heavy heart. I have an adorable 6 year old female Labrador who's an absolute sweetheart. She's been a blessing to my family for the past 6 years and she's the reason for our happiness. However as they say, all good things have to come to an end. Unfortunately I am in a situation in my personal life where I can't take care of her anymore. I know it's too late and she's already nearing 6. But I can't afford to do injustice to her by not tending to her needs. She's been pampered and taken care of like a princess till now. She's extremely playful and quite active. So here I am requesting and pleading all you kind souls to help me find a home for her. Somehow I can't imagine leaving her in CUPA or any other similar organizations. I just don't trust them enough. I'm looking for a family or a farmhouse or something similar where she can live happily and my family would be allowed to just visit her once a while. I don't know if it's asking too much but I hope and pray for a miracle. If any of you can help me with this please PM me. I'm put up in Bangalore.
This may seem a very harsh post to you and you can take what you like from it. I remain completely un-apologetic. I guess you have had a kid and the whole family is pressurizing you to get rid of your dog. Well, if this is the case, please tell them that it is perfectly possible for a new kid and a dog to co-exist. If anything, the kid will grow up a better human being on account of the dog. Dog hair will not get into the kids nose or ears. There is nothing unhygienic about a pet dog. The kids resistance will actually improve and the kid will learn a very important lesson - love for animals. Anyone who gives away their dog upon the arrival of a kid, is, in my opinion, doing a stupid, needlessly cruel and completely despicable thing.

Else you are relocating somewhere and have decided the dog is dispensable. But this does not seem too likely because you talk abput 'visiting her', so it must be that you have had a brat. I know all this is second-guessing but as a long time dog aficionado, I cannot by any means, bring myself to either empathise or sympathise with you, I am sorry. I just do not have the time of day for people who can bring themselves to do something like this to an ostensibly loved pet!

Now, know this, and burn it into your soul - It is an extremely cruel thing to do to take a six year old dog and put her in someone else's house. The trauma caused by this is truly horrible because it is just exactly the same as abandoning your child when he or she reaches a certain age. The difference is that dogs cannot speak and cannot say how sad they are feeling.

That does not make the sadness any less for them. A dog is NOT a toy and it is better that people here realize that. Don't take this drastic step because it is an extremely cruel thing to do. It is only because you are a member here that I am even bothering to write to you because I am extremely unhappy on account of this single sentence in your post which says that your dog has been a blessing etc but 'all good things come to an end'. That is a terrible thing to say regardless of your circumstances.

When you take on a dog, it is a committment at least until that poor dog is alive. They are with us for 12-13 years which is in itself a sad thing because they pre-decease us. Now, right in the prime of her life, when the poor dog has been with you since puppyhood, you want to 'jettison' her!

Since it is Christmas-time, in the spirit of good-will, I would like to try to help the dog with a solution if I can.

Therefore, please get on to facebook and there is a group called Bombat Dawgz whom you can get into touch with for the 're-homing' project. I would offer, but my two are getting on in years and will not be best pleased with a new full-grown four-legged addition to our home.

Whatever it is, despite it being Christmas time, I am choking on my words with anger and finding it very difficult to forgive you for thinking about giving your lovely six year old Labrador away, for what seems to me, a frivolous reason.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 24th December 2013 at 05:01.
Old 24th December 2013, 04:56   #3498
BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32_GTR View Post
Got an Aquarium Automatic feeder on eBay a couple of weeks ago since we were going to be away for a week.

We got back after a week long holiday and had not causulties in our cichlid tank... Just wanted to share a great product with everyone who is planning on traveling for a few days with no one to feed the fish.

Manufacturer / Model: Resun AF 2009D
Cost: INR 1,200 - INR 1,500
Hey bud, we are also planning for a week long vacation and this product is what i was looking for. Can you link me to the ebay page, will order one.
Old 24th December 2013, 06:57   #3499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

This may seem a very harsh post to you .
Dear Shankar. I do not take offence nor find your post harsh because I know you're talking blatant truth. I've neither had a kid nor I am relocating. I am educated enough to understand that having a kid and dog at home is not going to affect the kid.

Let's just say there are reasons that are personal enough not to be discussed on this forum. Thanks for your assistance.
Old 24th December 2013, 20:45   #3500
BANNED

Quote:
Dear Shankar. I do not take offence nor find your post harsh because I know you're talking blatant truth. I've neither had a kid nor I am relocating. I am educated enough to understand that having a kid and dog at home is not going to affect the kid. Let's just say there are reasons that are personal enough not to be discussed on this forum. Thanks for your assistance.
Sure mate. Thanks for taking it on the chin. I feel very distressed when it comes to pets and abandonment of any kind. And I put my money where my mouth is. I ve taken several life choices turning down lucrative offers, relocation opportunities and so on these last ten - twelve years, on account of my pets. I feel sorry for you, that you are faced with a choice of this kind. No man should have to choose between a much loved pet and some 'other personal reason'. Try to contact Chintana of Bombat Dawgz. She will help.
I wish you (and your lab) a Happy Christmas and New Year. I hope and pray she finds a good loving home.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 24th December 2013 at 20:48.
Old 24th December 2013, 21:23   #3501
Distinguished - BHPian

Do dogs specially labradors even survive such a turmoil in there life? After 6 years of attachment I really doubt if he/she will survive in a new home. My lab generally stops eating completely in a strangers house if we leave him there for a couple of days. As a result we never repeated it again after trying initially for a couple of times.
Old 24th December 2013, 21:50   #3502
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Friends,

I type this with a heavy heart. I have an adorable 6 year old f------------------snip-----------------galore.
Wow, man. Just.......
I am not asking you for your reasons to be contemplating this, but it's just incomprehensible. You could try what shankar has mentioned, but truthfully, dogs just do not adjust. I've kept dogs for all of my life, and just a change of house is nearly impossible with them. If you throw in new people along with that, trust me, it'll not be all well with her.

If there is any way this can be avoided, do explore. I just wish her well.
Old 24th December 2013, 21:59   #3503
BANNED

My dad was in a transferable job and we and all our dogs, cows, cats and assorted members of the menagerie moved districts and houses many times. The dogs were cool about it. The reason is that whole the surroundings may have changed, none of their other constants in life did.
Dogs are generally very forgiving and adjusting creatures but the look in their eyes when they have been abandoned, is heart rending...I cannot bear to see that.
There are so many cases that go to CUPA and you can see the bewilderment in their eyes.
My lab, Daisy is nine now. She came to me when she was one. She is a rescue dog who was abandoned by her idiot owner somewhere on the road in RT Nagar and Some good samaritan brought her to CUPA where i got her from. You would not think it to look at her, but she has been through that horrible pain of abandonment. I will never allow that to happen to any dog if it were within my power.
Old 24th December 2013, 22:31   #3504
BHPian

Quote:
I don't know if it's asking too much but I hope and pray for a miracle. If any of you can help me with this please PM me. I'm put up in Bangalore.
Like everyone has shared, it's extremely tough for an adult pet to adjust in a new household however, it's not impossible. If you search this thread with my userid and Angel, you will find pics of an extremely cute 7 year old female lab. That's my Angel. Angel had spent 5 years of her life with one of my friend's (a fellow BHPian) mother-in-law. That lady used to live alone and her office timings + travel meant that Angel used to spend 12-14 hours locked inside a flat. It was causing emotional as well as medical complications to Angel. My friend managed to convince his mother-in-law that Angel will be happier with a family that loves her and has time for her. We adopted Angel 3 months after her 5th birthday. I told my friend that I am giving it a shot but if she seems unhappy with the change then he will have to take her back.

First few days, she was quiet and didn't interact much with us. We kept patting her, cuddling her, and pampering her. After two weeks to check whether she is happy with us or was happier earlier, I took her to the earlier house. She went inside played with the lady but the moment she noticed that I am leaving, she ran out and jumped into the car. It's been 2.5 years since that date and it's difficult for anyone to guess that Angel has not been with us since day 1. She takes us for granted, loves us, cleans her face on my trousers after eating or playing. i.e. treats us like any normal loving lab would treat its family.

The reason I shared this with you is that there is hope for your pet, provided you can find someone that would love her as much or more than you did and more importantly have enough time for her.

Here's Angel occupying my seat in the car.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-angel.jpg

Here's Angel during Diwali

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc03291.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc03293-copy.jpg

All the best!
Old 24th December 2013, 22:49   #3505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Friends,

I type this with a heavy heart. I have an adorable 6 year old female Labrador who's an absolute sweetheart. Unfortunately I am in a situation in my personal life where I can't take care of her anymore. I'm looking for a family or a farmhouse or something similar where she can live happily and my family would be allowed to just visit her once a while.
Hi mate, Reasons best kept in heart at your end. I would rather suggest that instead of giving your lab to any unknown family why dont you relocate her to any of your relative's place. Honestly, visiting her once in a while I suppose may not be a good idea in the long-term if you re-locate her to any 3rd person because at some point it may seem to be intruding in their privacy. So my ernest request to you is that before taking any decision think of the pros and cons and secondly the void that may be created by her absence in your lives shall be best fulfilled if any of your close one keeps her.

thanks

AD
Old 25th December 2013, 07:34   #3506
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
She takes us for granted, loves us, cleans her face on my trousers after eating or playing. i.e. treats us like any normal loving lab would treat its family.
Ha ha! All our dogs have this naughty habit of wiping their mouths on our trousers after they've had their grub!
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-daisychops.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-puppychops.jpg  

Old 25th December 2013, 18:41   #3507
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys can anyone suggest a good place in Delhi who can take care of your pet for a couple of days? I don't want to leave my dog at the vet who does provide a boarding facility but it is heart wrenching to see your pet tied up all day long there.
Old 26th December 2013, 11:55   #3508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Hey bud, we are also planning for a week long vacation and this product is what i was looking for. Can you link me to the ebay page, will order one.
Here you go - http://www.ebay.in/itm/ws/eBayISAPI....m=251028956402

The seller should have more units. if not, just search for "aquarium automatic feeders" on ebay.in
Old 27th December 2013, 13:52   #3509
Senior - BHPian

Our pet dog 'Spike' got featured in the 2014 Calendar by 'PALS'! The calendar features pictures of dogs that have found a new lease of life after being abandoned. The proceeds from the sale of the calendar will be used for the welfare of the rescued dogs at PALS.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-20131226_2047381.jpg  

Last edited by Maverick5490 : 27th December 2013 at 13:54.
Old 28th December 2013, 00:03   #3510
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
Our pet dog 'Spike' got featured in the 2014 Calendar by 'PALS'! The calendar features pictures of dogs that have found a new lease of life after being abandoned. The proceeds from the sale of the calendar will be used for the welfare of the rescued dogs at PALS.
Wonderful, Maverick. Must be lovely to see your dog and his story featured like that. A nice tribute to you for re-homing an animal in need, too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks