Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2014, 17:18   #3646
BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

It's so great to see people sharing the same feelings. The way people love their pets, says alot about them in real life.

losing our best friends is one of the greatest loss, and I have been through it last year only. My white furball met with an accident when he suddenly ran off towards highway to catch a sparrow. Road was almost empty but suddenly a Indica showed up. he had enough time to brake but he didn't, neither he steered away and directly hit my pet. Although my pet had realised and was getting off the road and the car hit him exactly when he had crossed the road. That fool could've easily steered right, stayed at the center of the road and would've gone without a scratch. And we lost our love within a minute after the accident.

That was one of the worst days of our lives. He was the most intelligent dog I ever knew and was spoilt with love to the core. Almost whole colony knew the way we kept him and how he was treated. Everyone and people from other places came to our house afterwards to pay their regards and condolences.

Afterwards, the only way to bring my family out of the terrible experience, was to get another pup as early as possible.

Thankfully the one we have now has 90% of exactly same habits as the one we lost. Everyone says that he's back and so do I believe.
Old 2nd May 2014, 19:12   #3647
BHPian

Lost my scooby, a 7 year old healthy black Labrador last week due to our mistake.

Since we have scooby our yearly outstation trips had drastically come down. But there are few marriages which cannot be skipped and hence we leave our dog in boarding once a year. Although he hates to go there, some how we managed from last 7 years.

Similar situation came and we had to lock the house for 4 days. We left the dog in the usual kennel located in Bhoopasandra. This was the 1st time he resisted so much. As we did not have any option and had to leave early in the morning, we reluctantly left him there. Fast forward 5 days, we came back to pick him up.

Usually he recognizes our car sound and starts braking non stop, but this time it was different. He never came out. The boarding people literally dragged him out of the room and he came out as if he dint want to. He was so tired that he could hardly walk.

I understood that there's something wrong with him and the boarding people had messed up big time. Threw 3k on their face and called our regular doc. As he was out of town he recommended a doc in CUPA.

We drove him over there, they checked the weight, temperature and all and told he is dehydrated and in shock. Told us to take him home and give me some rest and let him get back to normal. Get him back tomorrow so that they can give him some injection.

I asked them is 3 times : there something critical or serious. No was the answer.

Me n dad got him out and put him in the car and started driving back. As we were talking on the way i heard scooby scratching the floor mat. I thot hes restless and will be ok when we reach home.

Reached home and turned towards scooby and he was not responding. Dad said he is unconscious. Literally drove like mad back to CUPA and they said scooby was dead on arrival.

He left us in the middle just because we wanted to have fun in our home town. Now We dont know whom to blame.

Was it us who sent him to boarding?
Was it them who did not take care?
Or was it doctors who did not know the criticality of the issue.

I have sworn myself never to have a pet. The happiness he gave for 7 years is nothing compared to the sorrow he gave by leave us in the middle.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_5746929780631.jpg
Old 2nd May 2014, 19:29   #3648
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
Lost my scooby, a 7 year old healthy black Labrador last week due to our mistake.
Oh god! Poor soul. May he rest in eternal peace. It is actually difficult to erase his memories from your mind but you need to move on and break your swear. I guess the kennel who was to take care of Scooby are to be taken to task. It is sheer atrocity on a innocent soul. Darn morons. I simply hate such people.

AD
Old 2nd May 2014, 19:37   #3649
BHPian

@Livyodream sorry to hear your loss. May Scooby's Soul rest in peace.

Bangalore is known for some notorious dog breeders as well as boarders who are business minded and no love for animals. We had some bad experiences as well in the past with some of the boarders!
Old 2nd May 2014, 19:37   #3650
Distinguished - BHPian

Such a sad story. Very sorry. Lessons to be learnt, of course, but please do not add to your sorry with all the if-only-s.

Quote:
I guess the kennel who was to take care of Scooby are to be taken to task. It is sheer atrocity on a innocent soul. Darn morons. I simply hate such people.
And the vets should surely, seeing such dehydration, have put on a drip.

Quote:
I have sworn myself never to have a pet. The happiness he gave for 7 years is nothing compared to the sorrow he gave by leave us in the middle.
It is very tough. I have said the same since the loss of my last cats, one by one, although there is a stray that is as good as mine, but does not live in the house.

But somehow... My mother used to say the same when she lost a dog, but never made it more than a week.

All the best
Old 3rd May 2014, 11:50   #3651
Distinguished - BHPian

I know there are times and occasions where it becomes inevitable for owners to leave there pets at boarding. But from my experience in Delhi too these boarding houses are pathetic at the least. My Lab came out all tortured the first time we left him like this for 3 days. Since then we have never made him go through that torture again and made it a point that we always leave one family member behind to take care of him in the house itself. That way he is still sad that everyone has gone, specially my mother, but atleast he is in familiar surroundings and safe hands.

Hope you recover from your loss soon. And may his soul RIP.
Old 3rd May 2014, 13:02   #3652
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lost my scooby, a 7 year old healthy black Labrador last week
I feel so sad and sorry for your loss. May his soul rest in peace.

A friend of mine has a black female Labrador in Hyderabad, he too reluctantly leaves his dog to the kennel if he has family has to go out of Hyderabad for a 2-3 days. His dog will not eat anything offered to him by the kennel fellows and would survive only on water.

We have a GSD at home and knowing how he behaves, we will never leave him at a relative's place or a kennel. If our family have to go out and have to leave him alone at home for 4-5 hours, he will make this sad face and does not drink or eat anything during that time, he will sit near the gate waiting for us to come back. After we come back, he behaves as if its the happiest moment for him.

These dogs probably became sad and probably some of them go into depression when they do not see their owners/family around. Probably the fear of being abandoned gets into their minds. After all, for a dog, his human family means the entire world to him/her.
Old 3rd May 2014, 13:25   #3653
BHPian

I know we made a mistake. The sad part was he did not give us a single chance for us to correct it.Just left us without a warning.

We had left him like that around 6-7 times and he would be fine as he does not have issues with eating if we are not around. This came without a warning. I had sworn in front of parents that this would be the last time this house is going to be locked after seeing his desperation to come back with us when we went to drop him. Never he has done that before :( . Alas he made us pay for our mistake.

I sincerely advice everyone never to put the house pets in boarding as what ever they say can never be believed. Dogs are taken care like a baby in the house and over there like a prisoner.

Regarding CUPA (COMPASSION UNLIMITED PLUS ACTION), for people in bangalore who are aware of this hospital.... Please never take your pets over there. They have a bunch of kids who are just out of collages who have no idea about diagnosis. Its just that i could not stand there once i heard about scooby else i would have made sure they had paid for the blunder they had done.
Old 3rd May 2014, 17:21   #3654
Senior - BHPian

This is very sad and i'm so sorry for your loss. We were considering a pet soon and this comes as a warning at the right time. I can't believe they mistreat our pets,charge us for it and accept no responsibility. Such sad state of affairs really.

I'd sworn to never buy a fish after my first one died, but could do so only for a year!

Last edited by shashank.nk : 3rd May 2014 at 17:23.
Old 3rd May 2014, 19:04   #3655
BHPian

Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstallion27 View Post
Thanks for the response. Can you please share the details of the centre at Andheri(W)?

If the Mahalaxmi one you are referring to is Petzone.

It's in svp nagar, janki Devi school lane, mhada - 9167242218
I have no clue about the quality of their service. The mahalaxmi one I was talking about was Petzone.

Last edited by msbehave : 3rd May 2014 at 19:05.
Old 5th May 2014, 10:49   #3656
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...I sincerely advice everyone never to put the house pets in boarding as what ever they say can never be believed. Dogs are taken care like a baby in the house and over there like a prisoner.

Regarding CUPA (COMPASSION UNLIMITED PLUS ACTION), for people in bangalore who are aware of this hospital.... Please never take your pets over there. They have a bunch of kids who are just out of collages who have no idea about diagnosis. Its just that i could not stand there once i heard about scooby else i would have made sure they had paid for the blunder they had done.
I suggest you write reviews of the boarding and also write a strong email to CUPA. That's the only way we can get people to avoid these places / bring in any changes.

If you let it go thinking you have lost what you had, it could happen that others may fall into the same trap too.
Old 5th May 2014, 13:13   #3657
BHPian

@livyodream can u please let us know the name of the kennel and where exactly it is located so that we are all aware of it and stay away from such kind of irresponsible pet boarding places!
Old 5th May 2014, 14:59   #3658
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, the Karuna shelter in Hebbal in Bangalore has also received a LOT of bad press. Please share this with your friends and don't take your loved ones there!
Old 5th May 2014, 16:40   #3659
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandhir.s.bajwa View Post

My white furball met with an accident when he suddenly ran off towards highway to catch a sparrow. Road was almost empty but suddenly a Indica showed up. he had enough time to brake but he didn't, neither he steered away and directly hit my pet. Although my pet had realised and was getting off the road and the car hit him exactly when he had crossed the road. That fool could've easily steered right, stayed at the center of the road and would've gone without a scratch.
y as possible.
I'm sorry to hear of your loss. I myself have lost 2 pets, both from natural causes though. Reading your post, I thought i should highlight some pointers.

- A lot of highway accidents in India are caused by people trying to veer/steer away from unsuspecting dogs, cattle and even careless people ambering across the highway. At high speeds, veering away can cause the car to flip and injure the occupants and is a danger to other users of the road as well. Case in point is the thread on accidents where one of the forum members recounts how a Hyundai accent tried to veer away from a stray pig, hit the divider and crashed onto the swift parked on the other side of the road.

Stopping i believe is safer (not sure why the Indica didn't do it in your case) but not changing directions at high speed. I for one would not try to veer away from an animal at high speed.
Old 5th May 2014, 18:29   #3660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandhir.s.bajwa View Post
It's so great to see people sharing the same feelings. The way people love their pets, says alot about them in real life.

losing our best friends is one of the greatest loss, and I have been through it last year only. My white furball met with an accident when he suddenly ran off towards highway to catch a sparrow. Road was almost empty but suddenly a Indica showed up. he had enough time to brake but he didn't, neither he steered away and directly hit my pet. Although my pet had realised and was getting off the road and the car hit him exactly when he had crossed the road. That fool could've easily steered right, stayed at the center of the road and would've gone without a scratch. And we lost our love within a minute after the accident.

That was one of the worst days of our lives. He was the most intelligent dog I ever knew and was spoilt with love to the core. Almost whole colony knew the way we kept him and how he was treated. Everyone and people from other places came to our house afterwards to pay their regards and condolences.

Afterwards, the only way to bring my family out of the terrible experience, was to get another pup as early as possible.

Thankfully the one we have now has 90% of exactly same habits as the one we lost. Everyone says that he's back and so do I believe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortsell View Post
I'm sorry to hear of your loss. I myself have lost 2 pets, both from natural causes though. Reading your post, I thought i should highlight some pointers.

- A lot of highway accidents in India are caused by people trying to veer/steer away from unsuspecting dogs, cattle and even careless people ambering across the highway. At high speeds, veering away can cause the car to flip and injure the occupants and is a danger to other users of the road as well. Case in point is the thread on accidents where one of the forum members recounts how a Hyundai accent tried to veer away from a stray pig, hit the divider and crashed onto the swift parked on the other side of the road.

Stopping i believe is safer (not sure why the Indica didn't do it in your case) but not changing directions at high speed. I for one would not try to veer away from an animal at high speed.
As much as I am saddened to hear the loss of your pet I would tend to agree with @shortsell here.

Maybe the car driver was careless and the least concerned in running over a dog, maybe he was too fast for his driving skills to steer away from the dog or maybe he thought the dog would get away in time, BUT letting your pet off leash in a potentially hazardous situation, a highway in your case, is definitely a case of negligence. And you mention "Road was almost empty but suddenly a Indica showed up."...That means the road was not empty..One vehicle is all thats needed to take a life.

I have 3 dogs myself and I am extremely careful even when walking them on our lane..I mostly keep them on leash unless its very late in the night and I can see the entire lane empty end to end. You never know when a butterfly or squirrel can catch the fancy of your dog and he bolts right across to catch it.

Apologies if I added to your sorrow, it was not my intention, but just wanted to highlight the fact that sometimes we tend to hold others responsible for something when actually our own diligence could have been all that was needed to avoid it. I am sure you will be more careful now and wishing you many many more years with your new furball!!

...Reminds me of that ad by a tire manufacturing company that has a guy crossing the road with his kid in a tramp speaking on a phone and a bike just screeches in front of him.

Most Viewed