Originally Posted by mandhir.s.bajwa View Post
Really sorry to hear your loss...
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
Deepest condolences on your loss.

May he rest in peace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Deep Condolences. One consolation is he has lived a productive long life.
Thanks guys. I have noticed that only people who have had pets and lost them know the pain one suffers on the loss.
Old 22nd May 2014, 22:05   #3707

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Hello Friends,

I have a 5 yr old Fawn color lab retriever named "Rex". I wish to take him on a road trip to Leh. So wondering if any of you have taken their pets up north. I'd like to hear from your experiences, do's and don'ts.
Old 25th May 2014, 12:01   #3708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post

The dog is limping since yesterday, Cuts are healing but the Dog looks sad, there is no lack of appetite. My FIL said its normal and asked me to ignore it, while we ensured the Lab is isolated(its very docile otherwise). Should we take the Boxer to a vet?

Pramod

I'd take the dog to the vet for medical attention & if the situation hasn't improved get a consult from a behaviourist. None of our vets are qualified to give behavioural advice nor have they received any training on it.
Old 26th May 2014, 09:14   #3709
BHPian

Last year, I had to put down my 12 year old baby - a yellow lab, because of nasal cancer. She spent 12 wonderful years with me and always loved to travel in the front passenger seat when I drove and stick her head out the window till the vehicle touches the 40 mile mark (where in she finds it a bit tough to breath) and then sits back with her nose towards the open window.
She was a big girl (often ballooned up to 105 pounds), but was very nimble and what amazed me the most was her uncanny ability to judge my driving and speed of vehicle to reposition herself with head sticking out the window as soon as I eased up on the gas pedal.
She has also come with me on long road trips many a time (she hated being left behind at the kennel) and her longest trip one way was 10 hours - to Niagara and nary a peep. She just enjoyed traveling.
Her keen sense of hearing was also amazing - that she would notify my family by running to the door barking and wagging her tail - as soon as my vehicle turned the corner in to my street - a distance of about two blocks.

Rest in peace my princess - meet you at the rainbow bridge.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc_5145.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc_5150.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc_5171.jpg  

Old 26th May 2014, 13:28   #3710
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbehave View Post
I'd take the dog to the vet for medical attention & if the situation hasn't improved get a consult from a behaviourist. None of our vets are qualified to give behavioural advice nor have they received any training on it.
My inlaws are here, they are babysiting the dogs, both the dogs are normal now. The boxer was fine after one day of limping, cuts healed. Their love for each other is also back, thank god for that

Pramod
Old 26th May 2014, 23:48   #3711
BHPian

Hi Guys,

After years of thinking we are ready to welcome a new family member so If anybody has leads on pups from retriever family like Lab, Golden Retriever. Please let me know.

Just to let you know, I live in a 2BHK flat but have access to a big land parcel right next to my house. I posted here because I am looking for a pup from a home litter not from a breeder stock.

Thanks

-Ijeet
Old 26th May 2014, 23:54   #3712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijeet View Post
Hi Guys,

After years of thinking we are ready to welcome a new family member so If anybody has leads on pups from retriever family like Lab, Golden Retriever. Please let me know.

Just to let you know, I live in a 2BHK flat but have access to a big land parcel right next to my house. I posted here because I am looking for a pup from a home litter not from a breeder stock.

Thanks

-Ijeet
My advice to you - Avoid sourcing the pup from Bangalore especially if you are first time owner. Many fraud breeders (if it all you are considering a breeder) you find here. Some of my relatives had very bad experience getting puppy from Bangalore

Try to source one from Palakkad, Kerala if you have contacts! Rest Assured

Last edited by lazybrain : 26th May 2014 at 23:55.
Old 27th May 2014, 10:38   #3713
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijeet View Post
Hi Guys,

After years of thinking we are ready to welcome a new family member so If anybody has leads on pups from retriever family like Lab, Golden Retriever.
-Ijeet
Golden Retriever!! nooo

They are friendly and very active dogs, difficult to accomodate them inside a 2BHK.
Old 27th May 2014, 18:25   #3714
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Golden Retriever!! nooo

They are friendly and very active dogs, difficult to accomodate them inside a 2BHK.
Thanks for the advice, We have almost 45acres of empty space near house that is the only reason I've decided to get a dog. Though he will not be able to get to the land by himself but I will make sure that he gets his exercise on daily basis.

Hi lazybrain,

What do you mean by fraud breeders? I am not going to take a dog unless I show it to vet just for extra assurance.

-Inder
Old 27th May 2014, 20:14   #3715
BHPian

have you thought about adopting a pet rather then buying? it's a great way too.
Old 27th May 2014, 21:34   #3716
BHPian

What can be worst than putting your own dog to sleep. :( I'm literally in tears while I type this. Today morning we had to put down our 8 year old GSD.
It was a year back when he started showing signs of his hind legs becoming weak and a couple of months ago he dropped his hind legs. We tried everything we could, medication, massages, etc but in vain.
I guess it was time now.

Something for my buddy:-
Calling him a dog doesn't do him justice, though he was four legged, had a tail, barked, his hair all over the place and his drool on seeing meat. Surely he was to all outward appearances but to those who knew him well, he was a thorough gentlemen!

Team-BHPians and their Pets-1401206273823.jpg

You will always be in my heart, Muddy!
Old 27th May 2014, 21:40   #3717
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashkait Kapoor View Post
What can be worst than putting your own dog to sleep. :( I'm literally in tears while I type this. Today morning we had to put down our 8 year old GSD.
Ashkait, Good souls should always be remembered with a smile. Muddy won't like to see you in tears. Just like us humans, pets also have a life cycle and if they have come to earth then they have to leave someday. I know no amount of sympathy can get him back but you will have to move on and to begin with change your avatar pic.

May he rest in eternal peace and you have to control yourself.
Old 28th May 2014, 00:22   #3718
Distinguished - BHPian

Ashkait, I have always dreaded this decision, but my animals have, so far, departed of their own accord. I once asked my mother how she did it, and she said that the day comes when it isn't really a choice any longer, it just has to be done. I'm sure that what you did was your last kindness for your beloved animal.

Deep sympathy.
Old 28th May 2014, 06:30   #3719
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Something for my buddy:-
Calling him a dog doesn't do him justice, though he was four legged, had a tail, barked, his hair all over the place and his drool on seeing meat. Surely he was to all outward appearances but to those who knew him well, he was a thorough gentlemen!
Heartfelt condolences to you and your family. I just went through the loss of my friend and can empathize with you. As for your second para.. I can so well understand.
Old 28th May 2014, 09:36   #3720
BHPian

Quote:

Surely he was to all outward appearances but to those who knew him well, he was a thorough gentlemen!

You will always be in my heart, Muddy!
Deep condolences. My earlier GSD went through the same problem - paralysis from the hind quarters. He went down on his own within 2 days. It is a terrible loss.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks