Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2014, 03:05   #3781
BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Hi, anyone here has any clue about how to take care of turtles? By a set of very fortunate/unfortunate circumstances, I came in possession of a small Indian roofed turtle a few years back. I have taken care of it w.r.t. its needs to the best of my ability, but I am currently at a stage that I cannot really pay a lot of attention to it. I am not into animals as such (personally I was considering giving it away for adoption, but changed my mind after I saw the pathetic way most people take care of turtles), and till now whatever care I have taken is by internet research only.

Currently, its being taken care of by my parents and grandparents, but since they are ageing, I am now looking to take over full responsibility as soon as I can. As a first step, I am looking to to get a proper check up being done by a good vet. Anyone here can recommend a good vet (preferably one who specializes in turtles) in Mumbai. Money won't be a issue, and I am willing to travel anywhere up to pune. Or should I go to the Parel animal hospital only?

Many thanks in advance to those who'll reply,

Thanks,
Simple_car
Old 12th August 2014, 11:36   #3782
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandita_bayan21 View Post
Lost my 8 years old GSD, Scooby on 29th July. Totally heart-aching for me as I raised him from the time he was just 20 days old. May his soul rest in peace and he is happy and safe under the arms of God.
Deep Condolences. Ouch. I know how miserable it feels to lose our beloved pets. GSDs generally live a shade longer than their cousins (Shepherd dogs) - Belgian Malinois or other larger dogs. Get another GSD. I have always lived with GSD from my childhood. Once you get used to them - (highly intelligent, fiercely loyal, reliable, predictable and will eat anyone who dares to attack you or your family) it is tough to go for any other breed.

Last edited by Prowler : 12th August 2014 at 11:42. Reason: Added more perspective
Old 12th August 2014, 15:04   #3783
BHPian

Hello guys,

I found this cute little fellow wandering in my apartment basement meowing and running around with confusion, my 3 year old cat got ferocious seeing the kitten and tried to attack the kitten. Please get in touch with me if anybody wants to give this kitten a new home. I can deliver the kitten around Jayanagar or the surrounding areas.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20140809_114521.jpg  

Old 13th August 2014, 22:03   #3784
Distinguished - BHPian

Just had to share this.
A little overwhelming, it is.
Attached Images

Old 17th August 2014, 00:46   #3785
BHPian

Hi all...Need some help from all pet lovers frm Hyderabad.. I came across these 3 cute little stray puppies across my street today..one of them was badly injured with ants all over his body.. He was badly injured and would not have survived the day..i called the blue cross team n they promptly came n picked up the injured pup..the problem is that i got these 2 naughty little guys with me now..i can take care of them till tomm n would need some help in finding a permanent house for them..both are hyper active n very cute..anyone interested in adopting them.pls pm me...
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20140816_171929.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20140816_171940.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20140816_174023.jpg  

Last edited by s@tan2s@int : 17th August 2014 at 01:01.
Old 25th August 2014, 11:00   #3786
Team-BHP Support

Need Help!

I have a female dog as our most fond pet for the past 7 years. She is a street & was adopted by me. She was docile all these years & never bit anyone.

In the initial 3 years, she was vaccinated properly and shots were given. Later she simply didn't take any injection. She is very hyper.

Earlier this year, she had severe chest infection. And she became so frail & weak that she took the shots, but was ferocious while taking 'em.

I suspect some damage to her eyes from that time. There appears two small dots/circle in her eyes (colorless or matches with the eyes color) And for the past 15-20 days she has gone crazy. Has bit my maid 10-12 days ago while playing & bit my servant (w/o any provocation) around a week back. Not bad bites but enough to ooze out blood. I have not been able to bath/chain her for past 1 month as she tries to bite me. Gets angry at her will. has her mood swings in the morning.

And at other times, she keeps on rubbing her body against mine or dad's. Wants to play. Am totally confused at to what has gone wrong with her.

From what we observe, nowadays, she always wants to eat and has her mood-swings. She was not chained much earlier except when someone was visiting or she had to bath. Else, she always was roaming everywhere. Has not been in contact with any dog ever.

Please guide me as her behavior is dangerous nowadays & we always have to watch out. Earlier even if someone accidentally stepped on her tail, she never bit anyone. Today, I think, she will tear his/her leg apart.

Two times that she has bit, I have noticed, after biting, she moves her jaw, like chewing something (with mouth close position). Please Help!

Thanks.

Last edited by Sheel : 25th August 2014 at 11:02.
Old 26th August 2014, 00:46   #3787
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
With a heavy heart and almost at the verge of feeling helpless, am trying to find all the information i can regarding my 3 year old Golden retriever, how to cure him and what to do to help the poor guy
Hi Coolboy, We had a Golden retriever who had seizures as well we had done multiple rounds to multiple hospitals, there were even suggestions that it might be an liver issue. However neutering was suggested by one of the doctors and that was the cure for our case atleast.
Old 26th August 2014, 18:51   #3788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post
Hi, anyone here has any clue about how to take care of turtles? By a set of very fortunate/unfortunate circumstances, I came in possession of a small Indian roofed turtle. I am willing to travel anywhere up to pune. Or should I go to the Parel animal hospital only?

Many thanks in advance to those who'll reply,

Thanks,
Simple_car
Rajiv Gandhi zoological park would be your best bet, they have reptile experts there.
Old 27th August 2014, 12:28   #3789
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post
Hi,,

Thanks,
Simple_car
Hi Mate,

Did a google search and found Avian veterinarian, turtle veterinarian, exotics veterinarian in Navi Mumbai -AMOL 08108422077.

Link http://navimumbai.olx.in/avian-veter...-iid-673923299

I am thinking if the pet has adjusted to the environment, shifting it will again change its environment.

What does he/she eat and the habitat.

One way is you can ask the doc to do a schedule check every few months.

If its in a fish tank yes cleaning is an issue, but if there is an aquarium shop near buy, they can do a charged cleaning every few months.

Usually Terapians are resilient and found in wells across India, yes mating, breeding, basking may be an issue in a well. but the rivers are also not the best place, if you move it to a river/pond predators will be an issue.

If your parents and grand parents like this turtle, then outsourcing cleaning and a periodic health check is a good idea.

Also Found this website http://www.myvetsol.com/contactus.html started by Dr.Madhurita Gupta & Dr.Yuvraj Kaginkarand

Last edited by ritz3645 : 27th August 2014 at 12:43. Reason: Myvetsol website link added
Old 28th August 2014, 03:18   #3790
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpsycho View Post
Rajiv Gandhi zoological park would be your best bet, they have reptile experts there.
Thanks, will check it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz3645 View Post
I am thinking if the pet has adjusted to the environment, shifting it will again change its environment.

What does he/she eat and the habitat.

If its in a fish tank yes cleaning is an issue, but if there is an aquarium shop near buy, they can do a charged cleaning every few months.

If your parents and grand parents like this turtle, then outsourcing cleaning and a periodic health check is a good idea.
Thanks

The pet has adjusted to the enviornment, now completing close to 4 years with us. We have tried our best to take care of the little one, taking advise of some vets, the local people who sell fish-products, and google; but the knowledge shared is very limited, and in many cases false.

I have read some research papers on this particular breed's habitat and lifestyle and did try to feed it what the papers/books mentioned, but nothing has worked well. Water cleaning is not an issue. It's cleaned every 2-3 days.

Parents/grandparents are not into pets, and I am also not into it. As already mentioned, they are not in a position to devote a lot of attention to it. I did check out options for adoption, but was let down by the standard of care by most people. I take better care than them.

Anyways, I will be looking into this shortly. Thanks once again.
Old 28th August 2014, 20:32   #3791
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Just had to share this.
A little overwhelming, it is.

I loved this one. I saw it on FB some time ago.
The reason your heart aches is because of the pet wagging his/ her tail inside your heart.
I have tears in my eyes when I think of all my darling dogs who have gone away upstairs to their great hunting grounds long before I get there to join them...
Old 28th August 2014, 21:56   #3792
BHPian

Lovely to read:

A dog adopted me today
It is the truth as silly as it sounds
I was out looking for myself
And a part of my soul, I found

A dog adopted me today
He seems to be a little lean
He has some anxiety and some fear
Wonder if the people he met were mean

A dog adopted me today
A move both noble as well as bold
He has a lot of love to offer
And yet had been left out in the cold

A dog adopted me today
So easily, he made his way
Into my life and my home
Every reason making sure he stays

A dog adopted me today
He seems a little slow to trust
I guess he needs a little time too
But I hope it won’t be much

A dog adopted me today
He has found himself a forever home
He won’t have to whimper anymore
Or spend nights out, alone

A dog adopted me today
And from now on I will plan my deed
To make sure he gets everything
I will satisfy his every need

A dog adopted me today
And he is here to stay
It’s not a decision that will change,
It’s a principle I will live by, EVERYDAY

Source: FB
Old 28th August 2014, 22:03   #3793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post
Lovely to read:
God Bless the soul who wrote such a lovely account of meeting a dog and may almighty bless you too even more for sharing it with us. I am a sort of person who very rarely gets emotional but couldn't help with this one.

Lovely way to portray one's sentiments about pets.

Thanks
Old 28th August 2014, 23:00   #3794
Distinguished - BHPian

A delightful ode of dog adoption. Thank you!
Old 29th August 2014, 15:16   #3795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post
Nandita ma'am, Scooby seems to be a joyful buddy in the pic.....Keep a smile and go ahead with the new one.

Thanks

Akash
Akash, I have still not able to accept the fact that Scooby is no more though its one month down. New pet - yes, maybe in a couple of months - pug is a good option, golden retreivers are always my personal favs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Deep Condolences. Ouch. I know how miserable it feels to lose our beloved pets. GSDs generally live a shade longer than their cousins (Shepherd dogs) - .....tough to go for any other breed.
Scooby was a darling, always protective yet playful and honest. Miss him bad.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks