Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2014, 20:28   #3811
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Just heard and wanted to know if it is true. If a owner cuts the dogs tail, will the dog leave them? Heard this practice is used to get rid of the dog from ones family.
Trust tail or no tail a dogs sense of smell is so keen that they can track and follow you. Dont go by hearsay go to google and put dog travelling to meet lost family you'll be overwhelmed to see the stories. Certain dogs tails were clipped to enable them to hide appropriately during hunts. Coz like our body gives out signs so does a dogs tail so when curious to the point of threat or about to attack most of them raise their tails during small prey hunts thats a dead giveaway of position. Hence the practice. Most sensible dog owners dont clip the tails. I've had 9 of them all large hunting or retrieving variety but never have i resorted to this practice.

Last edited by Ushuaia : 8th October 2014 at 20:30.
Old 8th October 2014, 23:27   #3812
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Just heard and wanted to know if it is true. If a owner cuts the dogs tail, will the dog leave them? Heard this practice is used to get rid of the dog from ones family.
Nothing can be further from the truth.
Some breeds ( historically working guard breeds like doberman, Rottweiler etc) had their tails docked for varied reasons, chiefly so that no one can grab the long tails and gain an upper hand on the dog.
Docking is done at a very early age by a trained vet.
Any owner who attempts to cut the tail of his dog himself with the intention to drive the animal away should be booked under animal cruelty charges and dealt with appropriately.
Old 8th October 2014, 23:33   #3813
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Regardless of cries of "It's Our Tradition!" (Yes, that does happen in places other than India ), the practice of "docking" a dogs tail, which was indeed traditional for certain breeds was outlawed in UK quite some time ago.
Old 9th October 2014, 00:17   #3814
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Regardless of cries of "It's Our Tradition!" (Yes, that does happen in places other than India ), the practice of "docking" a dogs tail, which was indeed traditional for certain breeds was outlawed in UK quite some time ago.
Yup - tail docking and ear cropping are two pretty bad practices.
My dobe's tail was docked while he was a very small pup and before I bought him home, but his ears were left uncropped and droopy by me.
Old 9th October 2014, 01:19   #3815
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a street dog in my apartment which has it's tail cut somehow. Last night when I was going to my flat thru the valet parking, I heard the dog crying loud and initially thought some vehicle might have run over. Tracked it finally to be resting under a Scorpio but still crying loud. Some watchmen came and told me that the tail is cut and it's infected leading to the cries. When I asked them about treating it, they said it never comes close even while offering food. They also said that they tried to catch it but were never successful.

What can be done in this case?
Old 9th October 2014, 01:29   #3816
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I have a street dog in my apartment which has it's tail cut ----------snip--------ever successful.

You should call up friendicoes or SPCA.
Old 9th October 2014, 01:34   #3817
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I have a street dog in my apartment which has it's tail cut somehow. Last night when I was going to my flat thru the valet parking, I heard the dog crying loud and initially thought some vehicle might have run over. Tracked it finally to be resting under a Scorpio but still crying loud. Some watchmen came and told me that the tail is cut and it's infected leading to the cries. When I asked them about treating it, they said it never comes close even while offering food. They also said that they tried to catch it but were never successful.

Call any animal rescue services for immediate care - nothing much you can do yourself. The dog may get defensive and bite if you forcibly approach it.

Takes a while to gain trust of street dogs who are mistreated - usually food works. Leave food at a distance and leave. Slowly over days start staying at a distance, and close the gap. When a dog trusts you sufficiently, it would have no qualms climbing on you and taking that bread or biscuit out of your hands (if you wanna get that close though!)

Here's a pic of the welcome party that I encounter everyday as I get home - they normally stay for snacks ! (parle G biscuits) :

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dogs.jpg
Old 10th October 2014, 11:58   #3818
BHPian

During my recent trip to Ooty, saw a dog in our quarters with his tail clipped. When enquired about it, the watchmen said that one day the dog was there beside the quarters gate bleeding from his tail and they administered medication and from then on it stays with him in the quarters. And he said this story and so surprised and asked here.
Old 15th October 2014, 13:55   #3819
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to buy a bullmastiff or a french mastiff. i am getting many breeders for french but none for bullmastiff. can anybody help me with a bullmastiff breeder
Old 16th October 2014, 12:47   #3820
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
I am planning to buy a bullmastiff or a french mastiff. i am getting many breeders for french but none for bullmastiff. can anybody help me with a bullmastiff breeder
Do you have a big house with garden? If not desist from getting big breeds. Mastiff need a lot of space and a lot of excercise.
http://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/mastiff
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/mastiff.htm

Bullmastiff drools excessively, so may may not be liked by rest of the family. The saving grace is that they require less excercise compared to Mastiff.
http://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/bullmastiff
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/bullmastiff.htm
Old 16th October 2014, 16:33   #3821
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Do you have a big house with garden? If not desist from getting big breeds. Mastiff need a lot of space and a lot of excercise.
http://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/mastiff
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/mastiff.htm

Bullmastiff drools excessively, so may may not be liked by rest of the family. The saving grace is that they require less excercise compared to Mastiff.
http://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/bullmastiff
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/bullmastiff.htm
thanks for the advice. I have done a lot of homework and the other breed I like is cane corso but it is way too expensive and the breeder is quoting 1.25 lakhs for it.
Old 16th October 2014, 17:03   #3822
BHPian

I would advice not to buy from a breeder unless you know him for more than 4 to 5 yrs or if you know folks who have taken from him and are satisfied. If you get to the truth of these puppy mills you wont buy from the breeders.
Old 16th October 2014, 21:46   #3823
Senior - BHPian

Here is some advise that is given constantly on the net, though it targets American audience, it is relevant even here in India
. Contact the breeder at least a year before you buy.
. The Bitch should not start breeding before at least 2 years old, preferable older. Starting breeding at a young age, or having a litter serially, will generally produce pups who are prone to problems at a later stage.
. Go check the breeding conditions (site) and the parents of the pup you will buy.
. Monitor the pregnancy, preferably with weekly visits.
. Check the pups once they are born, and then visit them weekly.
. Insist on selecting the pup.
. When selecting look for liveliness. friendliness and size. Avoid pups who are temperamental, sickly or weak.
. Choose the one who comes to you on its own (if possible), or else try coddling all and see which one is most comfortable with you.

These guidelines may be too strict, but remember not only are you paying for the pup, but you will be spending upwards of 5K per month (10k+ if it is a large meat eating breed) on their diet and veterinary fees. That is minimum 6L (more like 12L) over a span of ten years, so be sure of what you get.

If the breeder does not allow you to check the parents or monitor the pregnancy of choose the pups, then avoid them, they have some thing to hide.
Old 17th October 2014, 00:26   #3824
BHPian

Well said +aroy. Chances are under the conditions described the pup would cost you upwards of 20k. Also any of the mastiffs are prone to their own kinds of issues. Also being a large breed they need to be walked minimum of 1km each day. Else they are just show pieces who put on fat like anything, with it comes more ailments. Times they fall sick you may end up with 4 to 6 k of bills till they are business as usual. If the breeder is strict about lineage then he will evaluate you and your property where you'll house your dog. Also conditions on your pup carrying the bloodline further or not. Look through Saras kennel for TM they have very strict regulations though OTT. Their bookings run 2 to 3 yrs in advance. They let you checkin on the progress of pregnancy till you get your pup. Well in short just like a new car we buy, we do the whole nine yards and expect ASS to follow through and maintain the relationship adopting a pup is just like that.
Old 19th October 2014, 16:44   #3825
BHPian

URGENT HELP REQUIRED !!

I was away for 2 weeks and upon returning I am worried to see the sufferings of our street dog. Please suggest a suitable medication for this skin disease. Where can I buy it in and around HSR Layout or Koramangala ? Please suggest a nearby vet too. I can show only the photos for advice. I can't carry the dog since he is not familiar and never been leashed, although he friendly.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-20141017_175747.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-20141017_175757.jpg  

Most Viewed