Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2015, 20:42   #3856
Senior - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
BHPians in Bangalore - can you help? these puppies need foster homes for 2months: https://www.facebook.com/strays.in/p...966550?fref=nf.

please help if you can and also spread the word.
there are still puppies that need foster homes. please help if you can. i'm taking care of four of them
Old 1st January 2015, 21:08   #3857
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak7 View Post
She is overweight but luckily doesn't have any diseases or illness.
She doesn't look overweight.
Meet my cat Mintu. He is 12 years old and overweight too.

A few pics of him.
Team-BHPians and their Pets-059-small.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-002-small.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-260-small.jpg
Old 2nd January 2015, 17:37   #3858
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Hey thanks. This strip is indeed a thermometer. I got it from EBay.
thanks a ton for the detailed reply! I remember seeing this on ebay,but was skeptical if it would work well. Glass temperature should be good enough to know if the heater is working or not. I'll order one soon.

Also, did you buy the driftwood piece or did you source it from somewhere else ?
Old 2nd January 2015, 18:14   #3859
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
thanks a ton for the detailed reply! I remember seeing this on ebay,but was skeptical if it would work well. Glass temperature should be good enough to know if the heater is working or not. I'll order one soon.

Also, did you buy the driftwood piece or did you source it from somewhere else ?
Precisely the reason I brought it. Just need to get an indicative measure than the exact temperature. The driftwood, I had lots, of which three are in the tank. I made one myself while two others were purchased. Have a few more which we got from some trips to rivers and beaches.
Old 4th January 2015, 20:48   #3860
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I made one myself while two others were purchased. Have a few more which we got from some trips to rivers and beaches.
How did you go about it ? I remember reading one needs to boil,dry it and leave it out for a long time before it goes into the tank.
Old 4th January 2015, 20:57   #3861
Distinguished - BHPian

One was lying in the sun on the terrace for a long time. Later I took it and put it into water. Most of it was dried except for a few soft tissues. Took my drill gun and removed all the loose bits and the soft tissue. Rest was all hard and cured.

To take a final call I set the geyser to max and heated water. Then slowly started pouring the hot water on the log inside a bucket. Let it cool overnight and checked if it was releasing any tannin into the water. It did release little of tannin and a second round of heat treatment stopped whatever was active in the wood.

I have also got some from riverbeds, seashores and a few of us cousins and friends have shared it among ourselves.

Basically dead trees are an excellent source for wood into the tank. If the wood is still having soft tissues inside it will take nearly a year or so in the sun. Also it depends upon the breed of the tree. I had got a rosewood trunk once which kept on colouring the water and I finally threw it.

Last edited by audioholic : 4th January 2015 at 20:59.
Old 4th January 2015, 22:58   #3862
BHPian

Hi any good pet boarding in Gurgaon. Need for 2 large breed dogs.
Old 5th January 2015, 05:38   #3863
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ushuaia View Post
Hi any good pet boarding in Gurgaon. Need for 2 large breed dogs.
Hi, You can try PetSpot, though a little expensive, they are said to be well managed. Pls contact Vizal @ +91 98-11-133950. In case you do not mind travelling a bit further, Vinod's boarding in Dwarka is a good option and cheaper too. He is based in sec 19 and can be reached at +91 99-99-133203. You may please use the reference of my Dachshunds - "Kaku and Bholu" for a discounted stay at Vinod's place!

Last edited by abhjain : 5th January 2015 at 05:39.
Old 6th January 2015, 17:34   #3864
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ushuaia View Post
Well said +aroy. Chances are under the conditions described the pup would cost you upwards of 20k. Also any of the mastiffs are prone to their own kinds of issues. Also being a large breed they need to be walked minimum of 1km each day. Else they are just show pieces who put on fat like anything, with it comes more ailments. Times they fall sick you may end up with 4 to 6 k of bills till they are business as usual. If the breeder is strict about lineage then he will evaluate you and your property where you'll house your dog. Also conditions on your pup carrying the bloodline further or not. Look through Saras kennel for TM they have very strict regulations though OTT. Their bookings run 2 to 3 yrs in advance. They let you checkin on the progress of pregnancy till you get your pup. Well in short just like a new car we buy, we do the whole nine yards and expect ASS to follow through and maintain the relationship adopting a pup is just like that.
Thanks for the advise. I am very pertinent on this and that is why still not bought the pup
I read your suggestions pretty late but still not too late. the reference you gave is for tibetan mastiff but I am looking to buy a french mastiff
Old 7th January 2015, 08:36   #3865
Distinguished - BHPian

My labrador is going to turn 12 this may. He has been a healthy dog all this while and is little overweight but not obese. Off late over the last couple of years he has developed arthritis for which we have been giving him regular medicines prescribed by the vet and the occasional pain killer as and when indicated. Now since last 2-3 weeks, he has started barking excessively for no reason and even when no one is around him. If we start interacting with him, then he stops but as soon as he is alone ( i.e. rest of the household is busy doing there daily chores), he starts barking. His diet etc is unaffected and is as usual. Mind you there is no aggressiveness associated with the barking. What can be the probable reason? I was surfing the internet and the most likely cause I could narrow it down to was due to the arthritis itself.
I suspect the above more because last week our lift stopped working when he had gone down for a walk. And he simply refused to climb through the stairs to our second floor house. It took us close to 1 hour coupled with all sorts of baits like his favorite biscuits, bones and toys to finally get him to climb.

Second query is if it is arthritis then what pain medication should I use on a regular basis. I am not in favor of using the allopathic pain killers as constant and regular use of them is only going to case him more issues in the long run like renal, hepatic and gastric problems. Any home remedies that can help relieve the pain?
Old 9th January 2015, 00:25   #3866
Team-BHP Support

My first post in this thread. After waiting for almost 3 decades - we finally seem to have a few cats that seem to have happily adopted us. My parents were always against having pets in the household. No amount of pleading worked, but this one cat Parinki was able to change all that, within a month or two after he visited us for food the first time.

Presenting Biscuit, Timmu, Parinki and Pirate (The last one comes mainly for food though!)

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_2089b_800.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_2075b_800.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_1256b_800.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_1222_800.jpg
Old 11th January 2015, 14:00   #3867

Since the time I purchased my XUV, I've had a tough time having to lift my 50 KG labrador - Rex every time we went out on drives. With my earlier sedan, life wasn't difficult as he would just jump in and out with ease. The higher stance of the boot compelled me to look out for a solution to make Rex's life easier during ingress/egress. Moreover, I sensed that he must have not been very happy with the fact that my hands had to be placed too close to his private parts while lifting him

I googled up to check for available options and was surprised to see plenty of pet ramps available abroad, however none that were available in India. I zeroed in on the Solvit pet ramp and placed an order via Amazon. The product was shipped from the US and delivered on time. It just took a couple of tries and plenty of treats for Rex to get hooked on to the ramp. Looking forward to plenty of road trips with Rex
Old 11th January 2015, 23:04   #3868
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulraxx View Post
Since the time I purchased my XUV, I've had a tough time having to lift my 50 KG labrador - ...
Assuming your lab is big, why would it NOT jump in? Or is the weight restricting him to do it?

Mind sharing the pic of the ramp?
Old 12th January 2015, 21:24   #3869
BHPian

My extended family has a 1.5 year Beagle. His testicles has not yet descended. We took him to the vet and the vet has told us for immediate operation.

He will be neutered tomorrow, as the vet has told us that not doing so can lead to Cancer/Tumor/Infection.

A bit of Google, and I learnt that he is suffering from Cryptorchidism.

Some sites say that this is a hereditary problem, and his puppies will suffer from the same too. Is this true?

Anyone got any information on this? We are really worried about his health.
Old 2nd February 2015, 21:25   #3870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhjain View Post
Hi, You can try PetSpot, though a little expensive, they are said to be well managed. Pls contact Vizal @ +91 98-11-133950. In case you do not mind travelling a bit further, Vinod's boarding in Dwarka is a good option and cheaper too. He is based in sec 19 and can be reached at +91 99-99-133203. You may please use the reference of my Dachshunds - "Kaku and Bholu" for a discounted stay at Vinod's place!
Thanks but Vizal declined, since both are large dogs (Retriever and Gaddi). We have to postpone the trip due to a wedding in the family. But evaluating taking them with us. Another very good and genuine option is Nadir Khan in Sushant Lok II. Though famous, but very down to earth guy. Thanks for your inputs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks