Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2016, 12:02   #4171
Senior - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Didnt mean to offend you but explanation given below.

Maddy
Maddy, I definitely was not offended in anyway by what you said. All I sincerely intended in replying was to share some information, that's all.

From one animal lover to another

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram
Old 29th April 2016, 13:19   #4172
BHPian

Quote:
These are sample pictures from google, not the real doggies. I have older pictures of my pets in an album at home. Will try get a hold of it soon. I have a video of my Doberman jumping, will post it soon.

Maddy
Were they Elkhounds?
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-images-29.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-images-28.jpg  

Old 29th April 2016, 13:30   #4173
Senior - BHPian

Not really sure... The tail was not similar to your picture. The pups were from my neighbors and not a breeder. Give me a couple of days to ask my family for some pictures of them.

Maddy
Old 29th April 2016, 23:51   #4174
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Thanks all. I agree with Shankars point. I knew both these are the same but the reason for this confusion was we had two dogs which looked like Wolf dogs and was told to be alsations when we were in school. This was early 90s and here is a picture of the type of structure the dogs had including color. Thats why i asked the naive query on it. I will get a proper picture of my old pets when my brother visits home in a couple of days.

Attachment 1501584

Maddy
I had a Grey Alsatian when I was growing up. He (Simba) was like my Blood Brother. Completely inseparable. Slightly wild chap. Used to sleep in my room on my bed but in the night he would leap out the window and take off for a while and then come back.
He was similar to your photos.
Used to quietly hunt up rabbits and hares and partridge and so on and crunch them up, just like a wild wolf.
My Dad got him from a friend in 1980 in the Anamallais and he was with us till the end of 1993 when he passed on in the Nilgiris.
Many a time, while walking inside the Estate he has growled, stiffened and warned me in that way, of snakes and things.
He was an old man when one night he went out for his before sleep garden visit. And he never came back. He was taken by a leopard who used to hang about in that area outside the Bungalow - I ve seen that leopard and her cub walk past me one night when I was driving home in the jeep - she leaped neatly over the road along with her cub and disappeared into the Shola abutting the Tea fields.
I was inconsolable at Simba's passing because I had gone to work in my first job and was six months into my first job when he passed on and my mum told me on the phone. Very difficult time. Terrible loss. Still pains me.
Old 30th April 2016, 05:35   #4175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Maddy
I had a Grey Alsatian when I was growing up. He (Simba) was like my Blood Brother. Completely inseparable. Slightly wild chap. .
Haha reminds me of our team of Bittu and Timmy which used to hunt in packs. Couple of our chicken were hunted by them and the one hunt my mom remembers is when Bittu hunted a Bandicoot and kept it on our step waiting for my mom to come out and pat him. He kept a watch on that rat all night to make sure it didnt move. The hunt came natural to him. Tough to train a dog to do it.

Maddy
Old 25th May 2016, 23:21   #4176
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover2000 View Post
I just bumped into this very interesting thread. Very warm to see all the beautiful pets our members have out here. Truly a blessed lot. I too have some members of our family who are very unique. Two boys 1) Bairo - 4 year old male Lab and 2) Tyson - 3.5 year old male GS(cross)
I also have few cows and they are the best beings ever!
Hello Rover2000, I just came across your post while browsing my favourite thread - that was a great capture of your son (correct me if I'm wrong), you and your pet calf! Took me back to my childhood in the fifties when our milkman, Shambhu, would show up with the cow as well as the new-born calf - said it helped to get more milk from the mother if the calf was nearby! We of course had a great time petting & hugging the calf.
Thanks again for the nostalgia trip!
Old 27th May 2016, 15:36   #4177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
Hello Rover2000, I just came across your post while browsing my favourite thread - that was a great capture of your son (correct me if I'm wrong), you and your pet calf! Took me back to my childhood in the fifties when our milkman, Shambhu, would show up with the cow as well as the new-born calf - said it helped to get more milk from the mother if the calf was nearby! We of course had a great time petting & hugging the calf.
Thanks again for the nostalgia trip!
Hello Sir, Thank you for appreciation! Yes that is my son who has also taken a liking on our cows after me. I am fortunate enough to still hold on to these lovely beings in the current fast pace generation. By the way the calf in that picture is all grown up now and she has a baby brother now.
Old 27th May 2016, 16:53   #4178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here is a short video of our Doberman. Tyson is known to jump and escape his kennel through various gaps. Has the sharpest ears too!
Nice to see an undocked and uncropped Dobe.
The mentioned processes, especially cropping, is really painful on the animals.
Suggest all who get dobes/rottweilers to avoid tail docking/ear cropping.
Old 28th May 2016, 01:47   #4179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Nice to see an undocked and uncropped Dobe.
The mentioned processes, especially cropping, is really painful on the animals.
Suggest all who get dobes/rottweilers to avoid tail docking/ear cropping.
Thank you! I had seen this process done on a boxer and decided never to do it again. Also my doberman is a friendly chap, not sure if that process has something to do with nature of the pet.

An update on our hunt for GS puppies, we have a guy looking out for one and recently mentioned a litter of GS male pup somewhere. Awaiting more details.

Maddy
Old 28th May 2016, 11:16   #4180
Distinguished - BHPian

watching a video clip on Youtube .. and what do I find ? Pt Bhimsen Joshi likes to drive, and - his dog, a Mudhol hound !

Team-BHPians and their Pets-bhimsenjoshi.jpg
(Screencapture )
Old 29th May 2016, 15:04   #4181
BANNED

Quote:
Haha reminds me of our team of Bittu and Timmy which used to hunt in packs. Couple of our chicken were hunted by them and the one hunt my mom remembers is when Bittu hunted a Bandicoot and kept it on our step waiting for my mom to come out and pat him. He kept a watch on that rat all night to make sure it didnt move. The hunt came natural to him. Tough to train a dog to do it.
Maddy
Hello Maddy,

Your experience (or rather your mom's) with Bittu's bandicoot hunt snapped into focus our experience with Darth & his pathological allergy to pigs. Here in Lucknow it is still fairly common to have domestic pigs (like cows) roaming free in the neighborhoods. We discovered Darth's allergy the day he ran out of the - momentarily & accidentally - unlocked gates of our house before we could act. A herd of pigs was happily trotting by on the roadside. Darth made straight for the nearest one (a male, quite oblivious of what was in store) got a firm, healthy grip on the pigs left ear. The pig rocketed away, screaming its head off, with Darth being dragged along and half a dozen urchins in pursuit. And the rear was brought up by my mom-in-law, also trying to keep up, yelling incoherently. Darth was her blue-eyed baby & she was convinced that he was being killed. The pig - with Darth attached - disappeared round the corner. We didn't have long to wait - in a few minutes Darth came trotting back, his face & neck covered in blood. There was no sign of the pig or the herd nor the urchins. After washing off the blood - it was the pig's, not Darth's - Darth was as good as new. Both parties learnt lessons that day. We became even more vigilant regarding Darth & Daisy - no more unaccompanied & unleashed outings, except for their morning runs in the park. And the pig herders decided to stay far away from the neighborhood - no more pigs have been around since then.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-dscf0247.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-darth.nntl.jpg  

Last edited by shashanka : 29th May 2016 at 15:08.
Old 2nd July 2016, 23:46   #4182
BHPian

Our beloved Cherry is gone at 3 years old this Monday due to my negligence and wrong medical diagnosis she loved me the most and I killed her and betrayed her trust she never knew that the person she loved the most would kill and torture her. She had fever and I panicked and consulted another doctor in addition to ours and the decadron overdose killed her and destroyed her kidney liver and gastric failure. She is my daughter and the reason why I am alive. She was the light of our lives and everyone who knew her loved her. She is beautiful and I am sorry for everything. She suffered excruciating pain but fought bravely to be with us. RIP Cherry our golden girl and the best thing to ever happen to me. Please pray for Cherry that she is safe and returns to us unharmed from her sleep. I am so so sorry. RIP Cherry
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-1467483370929.jpg  

Old 3rd July 2016, 00:22   #4183
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm so sorry for you. You did what you thought was best: you are not a vet and you could not know.
Old 7th July 2016, 11:48   #4184
BHPian

I read a quite disturbing news about two medical students in Chennai throwing a dog from a building and shooting the video. Both have been suspended from college but I was astonished to find that the fine for their act was a mere Rs.50 and no jail term. I don't know how can one be so barbaric to be able to hurt some living thing which didn't cause any harm to them. the poor thing had survived somehow and was rescued by animal lovers.

Its really sad that the dog still seems to be having faith in humans as it let the rescuers allow to touch it and wagged its tail, while I am losing the hope on humanity every day what with news of raping minor girls, some even as small as 3 or 4 years, incidents such as these etc.

http://www.ndtv.com/chennai-news/che...source=taboola

I hope people everywhere, especially in Chennai, circulate this news widely and shame those culprits. They are unfit to be humans, leave alone to be doctors.
Old 7th July 2016, 15:17   #4185
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi.kona View Post
I read a quite disturbing news about two medical students in Chennai throwing a dog from a building and shooting the video.
... ... ...

I hope people everywhere, especially in Chennai, circulate this news widely and shame those culprits. They are unfit to be humans, leave alone to be doctors.
Don't worry, the media have amply done this. I don't watch TV, but it has been in the newspapers for last couple of days.

They are not fit to be doctors. In my opinion they should be sacked from their colleges. One should think many times before ruining the life and career of a young person, but in this case, and with the career of medicine, it may be justified.

Most Viewed