Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2019, 17:32   #4861
BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Are you sure its not growing and will be a leopard Are they shy, gentle like other cats ?
Haha. They are around 9-10 months old now and although females,they are already little bigger than my local (rescued) tomcat. Hope they stop growing soon !
Yes they are gentle, but not very shy, very active cats and excellent jumpers and they like water. Other than that they are like normal cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
That is one nice photograph of a great looking cat!
Thanks bro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Missed that one. A great photo of a good-looking cat. Very unusual cat.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20190109_173126.jpg  

Old 10th January 2019, 16:37   #4862
BANNED

^^^ That's one lovely pair of cats! I am not a cat person (being a confirmed boxer-o-phile), but if there's a cat that tempted me to change my affiliation, it would be this one! Great looking animals!
Old 10th January 2019, 16:54   #4863
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
I am not a cat person
We are all cat-people. Some of us just don't know it yet.
Old 10th January 2019, 17:08   #4864
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
We are all cat-people. Some of us just don't know it yet.
Perhaps - and I wouldn't want to get into the profundities or semantics of the subject!

But for the moment I am happy to introduce myself as a dog guy.
Old 10th January 2019, 18:15   #4865
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrodrive View Post
Haha. They are around 9-10 months old now and although females,they are already little bigger than my local (rescued) tomcat. Hope they stop growing soon !
Yes they are gentle, but not very shy, very active cats and excellent jumpers and they like water. Other than that they are like normal cats
Quite the leopard you have there, mate. Are they likely to eat your toe off while you sleep. Better keep them well fed

Quote:
Perhaps - and I wouldn't want to get into the profundities or semantics of the subject!
But for the moment I am happy to introduce myself as a dog guy.
Amen. I am a dog guy wanna be but the big cat in my life doesn't like dog, cats or birds so I am a fish guy. Maybe I should ask her about snakes
Old 10th January 2019, 19:32   #4866
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrodrive View Post
Thanks
They really look lovely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Maybe I should ask her about snakes
Please let us know if you are still alive after that, so that we will know that our airplane expert is still around

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram
Old 11th January 2019, 10:43   #4867
BHPian

Talking about snakes, my cat seems to have snakes in her menu. Yes we keep her well fed, maybe too well fed. But she still hunts down rodents in our yard. Instinct, I know. But this is the 4th time shes hunted down a snake, the non-poisonous kind. Every time she eats them, it clogs up her internals and she won't eat anything for 3-4 days. Last time, we had to force feed her. Once she poops out a scary looking skeleton, shes back to normal.

Cat experts, is this normal? What should I do about it?
Old 11th January 2019, 11:56   #4868
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post

Cats are natural hunters. My cat has chased snakes but hasn't been able to catch one till now. They chase anything and everything. Even if a cat is bitten by a poisonous snake, the cat usually doesn't die. It may be a little ill but will not usually die.

Once I saw an eagle or vulture hovering & I got scared because I have seen videos of these birds carrying away small dogs etc. After 5 minutes I saw my cat chasing the same vulture/eagle.

However, it's not good for cats to not eat for 3-4 days. After a day or two of not eating, cat's liver starts deteriorating very fast & they can get permanent problems.

Last edited by carboy : 11th January 2019 at 11:59.
Old 11th January 2019, 13:24   #4869
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Please let us know if you are still alive after that, so that we will know that our airplane expert is still around
Ram, I posed the question to the big cat in my home (or rather I live in her home) and she has instructed me that she will make a pickle out of my snake and send it to you :-)
Old 11th January 2019, 14:22   #4870
BHPian

Quote:
Talking about snakes, my cat seems to have snakes in her menu. ....

Cats or felines in general don't bite more than they can chew - they will always pick their quarries smaller than them. It is a sort of self preservation mechanism baked into their brains. Just make sure that they don't come in contact with snakes or rodents.

I have lost a cat which ate a poisoned rat. The vet couldn't save the cat.
My longest living cat lived on what I fed her as well as a few birds and Squirrels. Thank Heavens my neighborhood animals don't include snakes or other poisonous creatures - except humans.

Quote:
Cats are natural hunters. My cat has chased snakes but hasn't been able to catch one till now. They chase anything and everything. Even if a cat is bitten by a poisonous snake, the cat usually doesn't die. It may be a little ill but will not usually die.

Sorry to burst the bubble. All mammals will die of Snake poison if it enters the blood stream. Cats - like the rest of their Felidae family are born hunters. Even if you feed them full, they still need to hunt. They derive pleasure in killing. The hunting process makes them sharp. I have tried in vain many times to save birds or Squirrels from my predator cat. As soon as she realizes that I am behind her to save her new victim, she will go for the kill. I have avoided giving the gruesome detail here. Yet I snatch the carcass from her - just to show that her whole exercise of hunting is a waste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Ram, I posed the question to the big cat in my home (or rather I live in her home) and she has instructed me that she will make a pickle out of my snake and send it to you :-)
Better that she makes a pickle out of that snake than of you.
Old 11th January 2019, 14:30   #4871
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
All mammals will die of Snake poison if it enters the blood stream.

Cats are far more resistant to snake bites as compared to dogs. It takes far more time for them to die from a snake bite as compared to dogs so usually treatment is possible. A dog will die within the hour. It takes a day or two for cats.
Old 11th January 2019, 14:36   #4872
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
However, it's not good for cats to not eat for 3-4 days.
Quote:
Every time she eats them, it clogs up her internals and she won't eat anything for 3-4 days. Last time, we had to force feed her. Once she poops out a scary looking skeleton, shes back to normal.

is this normal? What should I do about it?
Although online results will tell you the risk of hepatic lipidosis for cats not eating, I have had experiences of my cats not eating for 24 to even more than 48 hours in specific scenarios and checked this with vets; they have told me it's ok under specific circumstances.

In my case, the circumstances were long distance travel (flight and by road); basically the poor guys are under lot of stress and they take time. And in the cases they have survived; and now back to their obesity-inducing eating levels

Basically your cat would know how, what and when to consume; also i'm assuming this is a local cat so clearly her survival skills would be pretty strong.

We have a local street cat who resides at our place as and when she feels like. In the past she has brought and eaten snakes (partially), so it shouldn't be a problem for your cat either.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 11th January 2019 at 14:38. Reason: Removed the "expert" reference
Old 11th January 2019, 14:46   #4873
Senior - BHPian

Some not so good update on my dogs:

Out of the 7 pups born, only 2 are left now. Lost 2 of them to speeding vehicles, 2 more just vanished overnight (separate days), 1 died within a day before any medication could be arranged due to acute stomach infection. Have to get these 2 vaccinated soon.

One of the adult dogs (young 1 year old female) suddenly went missing 2-3 days back. Spotted her last night lying across the road breathing faintly, fully dehydrated, ear tips and appendages getting cold and unable to even drink water. Carried her inside, called the vet who sent his assistant in half an hour. In the meantime, sponged her with warm water & helped her drink with a syringe. Then once the assistant to the vet arrived, administered warmed up DNS & RL IV drips, plus quite a few injections. Stabilized her for the night in the attic. Administered the same medication again this morning. Apparently it is some form of severe viral infection, and she is unable to retain any fluid (even the IV drips are being discharged in form of blood diarrhea & vomiting). Lost a lot of blood this way. Medication shall continue tonight & into the weekend. Have to be real lucky if we are to pull her out of this situation into normalcy.
Old 11th January 2019, 16:43   #4874
BHPian

Sorry to hear that blackasta. I pray she pulls through, but it sounds grim. Hopefully it is not parvo
Old 11th January 2019, 21:22   #4875
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Basically your cat would know how, what and when to consume;
When cats are unwell, they reduce their food intake to minimum or even stop. Whenever my cat stops eating for more than 18 hours, I take him to the vet & within an hour of getting back, he starts eating.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks