Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2019, 21:31   #4906
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
--and wanted to sell him off to breeders. We paid them the money and brought him home instead, and it's been one of the best decisions we've taken.

The one time I can say that buying a dog was the right thing to do! Thank you!

And getting a dog home is always always always the best decision!
Old 19th March 2019, 01:10   #4907
BHPian

Hunter is beautiful Boniver. Absolutely gorgeous. Wish you and him many happy years of togetherness.

Off topic but the other day I saw a labrador called Sunny, around 4 years of age, neglected and chained to a garage pillar by his owners. The poor guy is desperate for some affection. If anyone in Calcutta knows a NGO who can convince the owner to rehome him, please pm. I am ok to bear any costs but cannot adopt myself.
Old 9th April 2019, 16:36   #4908
BHPian

Hello!

Can anyone suggest a good shampoo- preferably herbal? I have tried petheads and Erina from Himalaya.

Also anyone has experience with Wildwash. Seems to be good but a bit on the expensive side.
Old 9th April 2019, 18:49   #4909
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.86 View Post
Hello!

Can anyone suggest a good shampoo- preferably herbal? I have tried petheads and Erina from Himalaya.

Also anyone has experience with Wildwash. Seems to be good but a bit on the expensive side.

Hi,

Although I haven't used Wildwash, but I have been using TropiClean Papaya & Coconut Shampoo Conditioner and it has been a very pleasant experience. My 1 year bullmastiff absolutely loves his bath time, and his coat seems very healthy with a nice shine.

Cheers,
Old 9th April 2019, 18:51   #4910
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.86 View Post
Hello!

Hi

I have used both Wildwash and Erina on my pets - Spitzes. and prefer Erina for their coats. For them, I have seen that Wildwash takes a lot more effort to rinse and clean off, and the end result wasn't too different from Erina, so we continue to use Erina.
Old 9th April 2019, 21:22   #4911
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Hunter is beautiful Boniver. Absolutely gorgeous. Wish you and him many happy years of togetherness.
Hey, sorry I somehow missed this post. Just came cross it now. Hunter just wagged his tail and winked at me (sometimes does that) when I called him beautiful haha. Thank you so much!

Quote:
Off topic but the other day I saw a labrador called Sunny, around 4 years of age, neglected and chained to a garage pillar by his owners. The poor guy is desperate for some affection. If anyone in Calcutta knows a NGO who can convince the owner to rehome him, please pm. I am ok to bear any costs but cannot adopt myself.
Which area is/was this in? Any updates?
Old 10th April 2019, 00:07   #4912
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
Which area is/was this in? Any updates?
It is in Jodhpur Park near the Jadavpur PS. No updates and unlikely to be one unless someone *somehow* frees him. His owner won't give him away yet is fine with a living animal being chained all the time to a pillar.

If you do intend to do anything, hit me up. I'll pm you my contact.
Old 10th April 2019, 09:19   #4913
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bineet_D View Post
Hi,

Although I haven't used Wildwash, but I have been using TropiClean Papaya & Coconut Shampoo Conditioner and it has been a very pleasant experience. My 1 year bullmastiff absolutely loves his bath time, and his coat seems very healthy with a nice shine.

Cheers,
Thank you. Will definitely try out TropiClean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkat_iyer View Post
Hi

I have used both Wildwash and Erina on my pets - Spitzes. and prefer Erina for their coats. For them, I have seen that Wildwash takes a lot more effort to rinse and clean off, and the end result wasn't too different from Erina, so we continue to use Erina.
Thought so too since the shampoo is concentrated and needs to be diluted before use. Thanks for the reply.
Old 10th April 2019, 10:33   #4914
BHPian

Haven't posted here in a long time. I used to post mainly about my Angel. She is now spreading happiness in some other world. She adopted us when she was five and gave us unconditional love and smiles for about seven years. If I post everything that made her special it might require an entire thread. Most people who met Angel including the Vets that treated her through her cancer and then renal failure used to call her the gentlest and happiest dog they had ever seen.

Angel

March 05, 2006 - May 30, 2018

Team-BHPians and their Pets-image01.jpeg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-img20180310wa000201magic01-1.jpeg

After Angel, we had decided not to get anyone else as they give a few years of extreme happiness and then leave us distraught. However, I noticed that mom was becoming too lonely and sad as time away from Angel progressed. So, last month I surprised her with this goofball. Here's Beegu (for now) who is a complete terror and exact opposite of Angel (in mannerisms). He has managed to bring happiness and smiles back, and also increased the energy levels at home. He is naughty and cute in equal parts. Not an easy dog to click pics of because he is always curious and running around.

Beegu

Team-BHPians and their Pets-20190324_105909.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-mvimg_20190316_16541501.jpeg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-00100dportrait_00100_burst20190316164324997_cover01.jpeg
Old 10th April 2019, 10:46   #4915
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
After Angel, we had decided not to get anyone else as they give a few years of extreme happiness and then leave us distraught. However, I noticed that mom was becoming too lonely and sad as time away from Angel progressed. So, last month I surprised her with this goofball. Here's Beegu (for now) who is a complete terror and exact opposite of Angel (in mannerisms). He has managed to bring happiness and smiles back, and also increased the energy levels at home. He is naughty and cute in equal parts. Not an easy dog to click pics of because he is always curious and running around.

Beagle puppies are the most adorable. We have a 2 year old female beagle and being used to a lab before, the energy levels are completely different.

Start basic training when he's a puppy as they tend to be really stubborn and have a mind of their own.

Beegu looks adorable
Old 23rd April 2019, 08:28   #4916
Distinguished - BHPian

Came across this post on twitter. (The OP is a serving officer)

Looks like we can adopt retired canine service-personnel:

Team-BHPians and their Pets-adoptexservicedogs.jpg
Old 23rd April 2019, 09:00   #4917
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Came across this post on twitter. (The OP is a serving officer)

Looks like we can adopt retired canine service-personnel:

Attachment 1870628
A little late news Sir, the responses apparently were overwhelming that all these loyal soldiers were adopted in no time!!
Old 23rd April 2019, 09:33   #4918
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandras1 View Post
A little late news Sir, the responses apparently were overwhelming that all these loyal soldiers were adopted in no time!!
I posted that more about sharing another avenue for folks to adopt pets. Not necessarily this bunch.

Also, there may be other units where the canines could/would come up for adoption at other times/.
Old 23rd April 2019, 10:48   #4919
Senior - BHPian

We adopted a stray a couple of years back when he was merely a month old. His name is Toby. However, this fellow is almost the size of a beagle rather than a full-grown mongrel and is on the heavier side for his frame at 19.2 kgs.

Although Toby is extremely adorable and well-mannered, he has crooked front legs which makes us worried. I have attached a picture from Google to give an idea of the problem although Toby's legs are not as severely bowed:
Team-BHPians and their Pets-bodydwarfism.jpg

We showed it to a couple of vets but apparently there is no easy solution for this apart from exercise to build strength in that area to counter problems he might face with age. While we believe Toby has this problem by birth, some doctors say that this is because of a fall at a young age further aggravated by walking (hence, slipping) on tiled floor.

Toby goes about his daily routine just fine and doesn't show any weakness or hindrance in playing, running, jumping or climbing stairs. He had a 12 ft. fall when he was less than a month old (before we adopted him) but survived without any external or internal injuries. Now he is 2 and a half year old and fully grown in terms of size.

I have seen a couple of stray dogs with bowed legs doing just fine. Many short-legged dogs also have this problem.

What precautions and exercises are recommended for dogs with bowed legs? Is there any solution (apart from surgery) which can help Toby lead a normal life as he ages?

Another question: we've been training him for strength since the last few months. But his weight seems to have increased by 2-3 kgs probably because of increased food intake. Will more body weight put additional stress on his front legs?

Last edited by self_driven : 23rd April 2019 at 10:50.
Old 23rd April 2019, 12:31   #4920
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post

Although Toby is extremely adorable and well-mannered, he has crooked front legs which makes us worried.
I am no vet, but I think this is due to lack of vitamin D which led to rickets in his early days.

https://vitamindwiki.com/Rickets+increasing+in+dogs

I once had adopted a stray pup who had crooked front legs, but calcium / phosphorus / vitamin D supplements and strict restriction to rough surfaces had cured his problem 100%. Unfortunately that poor fellow passed away soon after that due to unrelated ailments.

https://www.amazon.in/Vetoquinol-Mer.../dp/B00N5TL1TM

However, I am unsure if any treatment exists for adult dogs.

Falling, if that had not broken his legs, should not have any impact after so many days. I know it because I have another pup who broke one of his front legs under some vehicle. I got it set with a splint and plastered it, but that poor fellow later was again bitten by a bigger dog (deep wound) on the same leg. Now, although there is no external ailment or pain, he has a permanent limp which unfortunately he may have to carry for a lifetime.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks