Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2022, 11:01   #5986
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Need some help on a lost kitten :

Since morning this day, what seem like a 2 month old kitten has found its way into our compound and is crying for help non stop. Will be about 4 hours since it is meowing and his mom (which I guess is one of the stray cats that we feed) hasn't come around. I tried giving it water, milk and kitten food but it just scurries away at slightest movement and sound and is restless.
A male cat that nibbles at our feet is here but he slapped the kitten hard and doesn't like it around. What to do? I could feed him, comfort him but does not look like its accustomed to humans at all or at least is not trusting me. Is it cats' way of teaching their kittens the ways of life?
Are you sure if it's 2 months old? Asking as feeding a <6 weeks kitten is a different affair as to a ~2 month old kitten. Assuming the latter is true, milk is a no-no. Wet food is a good start (Whiskas options work very well for Indian kittens).

Seems like s/he was part of a litter and hence is running away from you. You'll need patience - mash the wet food and give it in small portions till he gets used to it. Also might be a good option to pick him up and take him to the local vet. Deworming is a necessary step at that stage with most local kittens having worms in their stomach. That also plays with their eating moods. Give him/her time to adjust to you guys - toys are (e.g. a string) a good way to earn the trust.

P.s. Moving the male cat away might also help - adult cats don't generally take well to newcomers but some of them choose to ignore. If he's not growling at the kiddo, then he's probably okay with him & will probably avoid him all day.
ninjatalli is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st June 2022, 12:58   #5987
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Are you sure if it's 2 months old? Asking as feeding a <6 weeks kitten is a different affair as to a ~2 month old kitten. Assuming the latter is true, milk is a no-no. Wet food is a good start (Whiskas options work very well for Indian kittens).

Seems like s/he was part of a litter and hence is running away from you. You'll need patience - mash the wet food and give it in small portions till he gets used to it. Also might be a good option to pick him up and take him to the local vet. Deworming is a necessary step at that stage with most local kittens having worms in their stomach. That also plays with their eating moods. Give him/her time to adjust to you guys - toys are (e.g. a string) a good way to earn the trust.

P.s. Moving the male cat away might also help - adult cats don't generally take well to newcomers but some of them choose to ignore. If he's not growling at the kiddo, then he's probably okay with him & will probably avoid him all day.
All good points! His mother (stray cat that we feed) is finally here and kitten has calmed down. Its definitely 2 months + old, they were born on April 5 or 6th if I remember correctly in our garage only before their mom moved them elsewhere few days later.
Surprisingly though the mom has not moved kitten elsewhere and both are here loitering around. The rains are probably stopping her.
Mom cat ate the food given to kitten. He had not even sniffed at it. Her previous litter used to devour the same. Probably a picky eater. Fingers crossed, I am hoping they stay here.
The male cat has left. He got bored after a while and jumped the fence. Kitten was trying to nurse off of him
amol4184 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th June 2022, 18:03   #5988
BHPian

I know that this is off-topic and hope I will be forgiven

I am looking to give away my 2 month old, male Beagle puppy in Pune to a good home

I had got this around a month ago but turns out my younger daughter is allergic to its fur somehow (she does not have problems with the neighbors Golden Retriever though so it may be breed specific I feel?)

He has been de-wormed and given a 11-in-1 vaccine already

If anyone is interested or had any ideas on how to go about finding a new home for this chap in Pune city then kindly let me know

Thanks in advance to all (Mods: Please delete post if not correct)

Follow up on my post, the pup is not toilet-trained as yet, attached are some pictures, he sure is cute

Team-BHPians and their Pets-whatsapp-image-20220630-8.16.56-am.jpeg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-whatsapp-image-20220630-8.05.22-am.jpeg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-whatsapp-image-20220630-8.03.47-am.jpeg

Last edited by Sheel : 30th June 2022 at 19:13. Reason: Post with pictures merged with the original post. Thanks.
anand.shankar82 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th June 2022, 18:41   #5989
BHPian

Post lunch siesta of Sherry (black pup) and Tipsy
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img20220629123151.jpg
Vinod_nair is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 15:53   #5990
BHPian

My Cats!

Team-BHPians and their Pets-whatsapp-image-20220711-1.35.36-pm-1.jpeg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-whatsapp-image-20220711-1.35.36-pm.jpeg
yogesh12 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 20th July 2022, 18:05   #5991
Senior - BHPian

Hello Guys

Are there any online Dog Cage/Crate Suppliers

Looking for a Cage for our new Dog (Miniature Pinscher)

The ones which Google baba throws up all seem to be standard wire one which to me are more like glorified "bird cages"

I am looking for something in the dimension of - W 90 cm x Depth 60 cm x height 75 cm

I am in Bangalore and even off-line around here can be explored

Any lead will be appreciated

Best Regards & Thanks
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2022, 14:21   #5992
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Hello Guys
Are there any online Dog Cage/Crate Suppliers...Looking for a Cage for our new Dog (Miniature Pinscher)...I am in Bangalore and even off-line around here can be explored
Visit the Pet Bonding store in Mahalakshmipuram (Near Rajajinagar 1st Block / Mahalakshmi Layout). They have plenty of cage/crates in their store.

DM me if you plan to and I can share the contact number of the owner.
Old 22nd July 2022, 10:35   #5993
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Looking for a Cage for our new Dog (Miniature Pinscher)

I am looking for something in the dimension of - W 90 cm x Depth 60 cm x height 75 cm
I had considered buying a cage for my GSD years back. Amazon can help:
eg: https://www.amazon.in/Midwest-Double...dp/B09HP1WWH8/
Old 22nd July 2022, 11:43   #5994
BHPian

Just clicked a pic of two of my kittens sitting together like mirror image, then on seeing the pic I could see what they were looking at
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_20220722_113919_copy_768x1014.jpg  

pyrodrive is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 16:16   #5995
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I had considered buying a cage for my GSD years back. Amazon can help:
eg: https://www.amazon.in/Midwest-Double...dp/B09HP1WWH8/
Thanks.

But this type (in the link you forwarded) resembling "bird cage" is something I am trying to avoid buying

What I have in mind is something like this

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dog-cage-1.jpg

This is made by a group called "Petarchi"

Unfortunately the timelines are not matching - I am looking to get one, like immediately .

Best Regards and Drive Safe

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 22nd July 2022 at 16:18.
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2022, 18:46   #5996
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post

The regular budgies are on sale in every pet shop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Please research a lot before getting a parrot. It is not only a long-term commitment, but could be a commitment for ever: it might outlive you!

I have heard living with a parrot compared to living with a three-year-old child. They are that demanding. They are social, active, and want lots of attention. If you can't give it, you will just end up with an unhappy bird, and probably, eventually, a sick bird. And a nip from a parrot would be nasty. Even a budgie can hurt!

Budgies are much more easy-going. In my childhood, my mum bred them on a small scale, and we had up to a couple of dozen at a time. Well, it wasn't so much intended as breeding, but our core group (kaw group?) lived in big-enough cages with breeding boxes and were free to get on with it, and did.

Budgies, too, are friendly, intelligent and sociable. They have great character. I don't think that the experience is inferior to the bigger birds. Also, they won't outlive you ---unless, of course, you are already rather old!

Do, please, think twice about the parrots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

Also have done similar with birds. Trying to help an injured parakeet can prove painful, and it might need more than gentle encouragement to let go!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
To cut the long story short, we got a parakeet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Parrots, Parakeets and Macaws etc are from the same family. Yes they eat chillies. That is supposedly their staple diet in the wild along with other different kinds of fruit.
Hello everyone. We rescued an injured Parakeet today. He/she is injured on his top right section though thankfully, the eyes and beak have suffered no/minimum damage. We washed the wound with the help of Savlon and cotton and have kept him in a smallish cage which was originally supposed to serve as a showpiece. A few pics of him-

Team-BHPians and their Pets-20220723_145846.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-20220723_145851.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-20220723_162643.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-20220723_162649.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-20220723_162700.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-20220723_163234.jpg

This is the first time that I have seen a bird of this type which makes me believe that he may have escaped from somewhere close. We are planning to keep it with us for a week or so and then release it but it is all tentative. We have a few queries and would really appreciate some help-

1. What bird is this? Looks like a budgie to me.

2. Is there any way to determine the age and sex?

3. Will it survive on its own after we release it? Releasing a bird is the ideal approach but it looks like a bird which someone would buy and then keep at home. If he won't be able to survive, we might just give him to a local seller so that he may find a home eventually.

4. If we decide to keep it, we would need to own a pair right?

5. We are trying to arrange a bigger cage for him but any pointers as to how and what type of cage we should get for him would be helpful.

6. What does he eat? We have given him millets(bird food that my father orders regularly), some water, guava and chilli but so far, he has refused to eat anything.

7. He hasn't made a sound since we have brought it home. Traumatised?

8. We already have a cat at home . And we live in a 2 BHK apartment in Mumbai. Any tips as to how these 2 species can co-exist would be helpful. If we do decide to keep the bird, we might just keep him outside our kitchen window and between the outer grill of the kitchen window. Plan is to have a big cage in that area and perhaps even netting the grill.

9. Any other pointers would be helpful as well.
AYP is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2022, 19:22   #5997
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
Hello everyone. We rescued an injured Parakeet today. He/she is injured on his top right section though thankfully, the eyes and beak have suffered no/minimum damage.
I'm no expert. But is that a splinter in its head poking out? or is it feathers that have coagulated blood sticking them together. If let out into the open it may not fly out on its own. The bird seems to be in a state of shock. As an 8-year old I once set two lovebirds free thinking naively they will come back to their cage. To my utter horror both got pounced upon by birds of prey within my line of sight and that was that. In God's ledger their deaths are a debit against my name along with 342 frogs and 6,57,898 cockroaches. Your cat will make a meal of the bird before you know it. The cage is open enough for a cat to do it and it will.

Is it eating & drinking?

Last edited by V.Narayan : 23rd July 2022 at 19:23.
V.Narayan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2022, 19:28   #5998
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
I'm no expert. But is that a splinter in its head poking out? or is it feathers that have coagulated blood sticking them together. If let out into the open it may not fly out on its own. The bird seems to be in a state of shock. As an 8-year old I once set two lovebirds free thinking naively they will come back to their cage. To my utter horror both got pounced upon by birds of prey within my line of sight and that was that. In God's ledger their deaths are a debit against my name along with 342 frogs and 6,57,898 cockroaches. Your cat will make a meal of the bird before you know it. The cage is open enough for a cat to do it and it will.

Is it eating & drinking?
Thanks for the info. Going by your post, it seems that we should either keep it or give it to a seller. Yes, those are coagulated left over feathers from that area. No, I haven't seen it eating or drinking yet. Hoping for the best.

Currently, we have kept him isolated in one of our bathrooms.
AYP is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2022, 19:37   #5999
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
Thanks for the info. Going by your post, it seems that we should either keep it or give it to a seller. Yes, those are coagulated left over feathers from that area. No, I haven't seen it eating or drinking yet. Hoping for the best.

Currently, we have kept him isolated in one of our bathrooms.
It is indeed a very attractive specimen. Beautiful colours. The trauma of the accident, facing death, internal injury and shock of being caged must all be affecting the bird. the fluffy state of the feathers indicates a high state of shock and depression. You could over the cage with a cloth to darken the insides. That helps them rest better. You could even show it to a vet if your budget permits. There remains a very real possibility of it dying within a day or two. Best of luck. Eager to know how things go.
V.Narayan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2022, 20:42   #6000
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, it looks like a budgie. It is male. One can tell this because the area around its "nostrils" is blue.

It needs to be in a safer place. It needs to be more enclosed, so that it can be contained whilst it recovers and, as has been mentioned, to protect from cat.

Most budgies are probably pets. How does it react to contact? Go easy, as touching it more may cause more trauma, but it may also comfort the bird. I don't know if I posted about it (probably) but with a rescued budgie, recently, it would come to my finger even from a tree branch outside.

Will it survive? It will depend on the depth of the injury and the amount of shock. If it will not eat or drink water, then, it is a sad no: birds cannot go many hours without.

Ask around. With my rescue, it did not take long for our domestic staff to find a young boy with a collection of these birds who thought it was his, and he collected it. His or not, at least it had gone to good home. I don't know the outcome. We have had two injured parakeets in our garden: one survived, one did not. I'm afraid that my cat was responsible for the death of the second.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks