Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2019, 12:14   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: Facebook is a surveillance engine not a friend

More skeletons are tumbling out of Facebook.

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/social-...riends-n994706
Old 17th April 2019, 15:30   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
More skeletons are tumbling out of Facebook.

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/social-...riends-n994706
Thank you very much for sharing. One way of protecting ourselves is to stay away from FB and Instagram.
Old 17th April 2019, 15:34   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Thank you very much for sharing. One way of protecting ourselves is to stay away from FB and Instagram.
Facebook also owns whatsapp... how many of us can stay away from whataspp? It has become an essential communication tool now.
Old 17th April 2019, 18:14   #49
BHPian

Actually, I wouldn't be worried about Facebook selling my information to some company, unless that company is going to take my photo manipulate it and call me asking for a ransom. Or take my credit card number and make some unauthorized purchases.

But then the matter of concern here is, Facebook is making money selling the data. Well that is what makes many people angry. After all it is an evil corporation with lots of money in their pocket. How dare they make more money using "my" data.
Old 17th April 2019, 18:48   #50
BHPian

The Age of Surveillance Capitalism by Shoshana Zuboff review – we are the pawns

This book comprehensively talks about the subject of discussion of this thread.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...-zuboff-review
Old 17th April 2019, 19:18   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
Actually, I wouldn't be worried about Facebook selling my information to some company, unless that company is going to take my photo manipulate it and call me asking for a ransom.
Why should they bother to force you to pay money? They have loads of customers begging for data about you, and they will pay top dollars.

The article posted by tifosikrishna says:

Quote:
It seems people are very willing to give up their private information in return for perceived benefits such as ease of use, navigation and access to friends and information. Zuboff recasts the conversation around privacy as one over “decision rights”: the agency we can actively assert over our own futures, which is fundamentally usurped by predictive, data-driven systems. Engaging with the systems of surveillance capitalism, and acquiescing to its demands for ever deeper incursions into everyday life, involves much more than the surrender of information: it is to place the entire track of one’s life, the determination of ones path, under the purview and control of the market, just as Pokémon Go players are walked, lit by their glowing screens, straight through the doors of shops they didn’t even know they wanted to visit.
Old 19th April 2019, 11:51   #52
BHPian

We love conspiracy theories, don't we? So a news item titled "Facebook is plotting to take over the world" would get more clicks than "Facebook looks to monetize from date they collected". A couple of decades ago, it was Microsoft that was trying to enslave the world, but thanks to online activists who took to the internet typing away in their Windows PCs, Microsoft was defeated. Then it was the turn of Apple, and the Google and now, Microsoft. Now the same conspiracy theorists or their inheritors are writing posts in Facebook and Whatsapp about how Zuckerberg is plotting to take over the world. Make no mistake, this is going to continue into eternity.

In reality he is just another capitalist looking to monetize on anything he possess. He has collected data and he is trying to monetize on that, which would be the same thing any of these online fear mongers would have done if they had access to such data.

Zuckerberg makes more money the longer you hang around in Facebook/Whatsapp. Now, that is true with any online service - including Team-bhp. It is ridiculous to attribute evil intentions on the service. If somebody claimed that Team-bhp instigates fights between us folks so that we hang around writing posts here, how ridiculous would that sound? How is Facebook any different?
Old 19th April 2019, 12:06   #53
Team-BHP Support

If you think Facebook is innocent after the CA scandal, I don't think I can say anything that will convince you otherwise.
Old 19th April 2019, 12:35   #54
BHPian

No, am only saying that they are not doing anything more than any profit seeking company would be doing. But all the prediction of doom and an evil takeover of the world is highly overrated.
Old 25th May 2019, 15:02   #55
Team-BHP Support

Old 25th May 2019, 15:32   #56
Senior - BHPian

That interview was a disgrace for Facebook. This company, very clearly is not rooted in morals. I shudder to think how Facebook could impact information once they get behind the pipe with their TIP initiative.
Old 25th May 2019, 15:53   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
That interview was a disgrace for Facebook. This company, very clearly is not rooted in morals. I shudder to think how Facebook could impact information once they get behind the pipe with their TIP initiative.
Thankyou for updating us. Even non FB folks like me smell their malevolence.
Old 25th May 2019, 16:07   #58
Team-BHP Support

Surveillance is not just limited to FB anymore. Here is something from the congressional hearing. It is chilling to hear.

Old 25th May 2019, 17:31   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Surveillance is not just limited to FB anymore. Here is something from the congressional hearing. It is chilling to hear.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=mxektG_wU4w
The facial recognition based surveillance is a bit too far fetched at the moment, especially in countries like US & Europe. These algorithms need to be trained on face databases, which is increasingly difficult to do, although not impossible. It was said that Facebook did the '10 year challenge' to train its facial recognition AI. Google faced a lot of flak from their employees when it was discovered that they were helping the DoD to build this technology into their drones to be more effective at bombing. It subsequently led Google to altogether exit this space for any commercial reasons. I think something similar was also brewing at Amazon & Microsoft. But indirectly through Nest & Ring, both Google & Amazon respectively, still have a commercial play and interest in face recognition.

I recently explored this space and spoke to experts in this domain and per them threat posed by this technology towards private infringement is quite low in western countries. It is places like China where companies like Facetime are being fed databases containing millions of faces, in a government sponsored program, where the threat lies. But their systems are so biased as they are trained on oriental faces. I was told, Dahua technologies tried to implement their facial tech in an African country (on the behest of a government agency) and their algorithm was repeatedly matching humans to animals (the algorithm would default to object detection).

Last edited by rrsteer : 25th May 2019 at 17:32.
Old 26th June 2019, 17:25   #60
Team-BHP Support

How Facebook is destroying democracy... a simple guide.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks