Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2006, 11:42   #16
Team-BHP Support

Two things... first of all, the rule says that in the notified cities all new car registrations require the cars to be Euro III compliant. However I do not think that it holds good for a car that is already with you from earlier. If such a rule were to be applied so many people who shift from state to state would have a major hassle in their hands. Forget the E-II cars there are so many which are E-I or from an even earlier period. Till they are not more than 15 years old you can not force a person to scrap it. So how do they register? Does the law say that such cars need not be re-registered? Lol... Not possible. State governments can not give up on their revenue sources. And then if you look at the notified cities list most big cities are in there. I think you need to check the motor vehicle rules again and then talk to the guy who refused the registration. Somehow the logic does not sound ok to me.

Another thing, if you are shifting residence to a city where you may not stay for always maybe you should consider to just get a registration in that city done. Do not claim back the LTT that you paid in the earlier state if there is a chance that you may again go back there. Your car can have multiple state registrations. If after a couple of years you move back to the earlier city you simply pick up the old no. plate and put it back on your car... thats it.

Last edited by Zappo : 28th March 2006 at 11:44.
Old 29th March 2006, 16:23   #17
BHPian

Guys, IS KA registration in Chennai OK? Previously when i was in Chennai 6 yrs ago i used to see police pointedly catching other state vehicles. I also want to know whether i need to pay road tax irrespective of change in registration. I am not sure about the duration of my stay there. But i will be there atleast for a year.

If the trouble of re-registration is too much is it advisable to sell the car [WAGON-R]. I bought it only in SEP 2005. I am totally confused. Please help.
Old 7th February 2007, 12:45   #18
Senior - BHPian

Bumping this thread.. There is a report in today's Times of India Pune Edition about RTO seizing 40 odd cars with number plates from other states. The report says that these cars were in Pune for more than 3 years and now have to pay 7% tax.

I have a TN registered car which I moved to Pune in Dec 06. Is there a max period after which I have to pay these taxes? This thread hasnt really answered that question.
Old 7th February 2007, 13:07   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Is there a max period after which I have to pay these taxes?
I think the answer is here somewhere - 6 months.
Old 7th February 2007, 13:16   #20
Senior - BHPian

Well, I'm not too sure about current norms but a friend has been driving his West Bengal registered MG413W in Delhi for 3 years now without any hassels. Another one is in Hyderabad for 2 years with his WB registered Ikon. He has been stopped a couple of times and his papers checked. But, quite a few guys I know were "challaned" and harassed regularly in Chennai with Delhi, Maharashtra and West Bengal registered cars.
Old 7th February 2007, 13:22   #21
Senior - BHPian

Have you paid the entry tax ?? if not , is there any other way to prove the extent of your car being in pune ?
Old 7th February 2007, 13:27   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

For awhile there I'd thought the dear moderator was divorcing from Bengalooru when I read the title
Old 7th February 2007, 14:25   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Have you paid the entry tax ?? if not , is there any other way to prove the extent of your car being in pune ?
Nope. I havent paid the entry tax since its a 2004 model. I can prove the car has been in Pune since december 06, because the date of TN registration (transfer from Pondicherry) was done in December 06 itself
Old 8th February 2007, 12:41   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I think the answer is here somewhere - 6 months.
I did some research. The Motor vehicle Act, 1988 states that the period is 12 months. I am posting the URL for the same.

http://morth.nic.in/mvact/English/mvl_chap4f.pdf

So anything beyond 12 months is illegal as per law. But the loophole is in proving that you had the vehicle in the other state for less than 12 months or for the RTO to prove that you had it beyond 12 months !!

In my car's case, I think its clear cut because the TN registration date will prove the vehicle couldnt have entered Maharastra earlier than 12 months.

Also, entry tax reciept will help. But I read somewhere that entry tax is for vehicles not older than 15 months. So no point paying that just to get the evidence !!
Old 21st July 2008, 14:48   #25

Buying a used car from another state

Hi All,

I'm a little bit confused about the formalities involved in buying a used car from another state. Would appreciate your help / clarifications ...

I stay in Delhi, and I'm buying a 3-yr old Alto from a friend in Bangalore.

From what I could gather on the RTO sites and on Team-BHP, the steps involved:

1.) Seller gets NOC from RTO Bangalore (Form 28 states purpose as Sale Outside State)
2.) Buyer submits Request for Re-Registration in Delhi, alongwith NOC

But where does the Transfer of Ownership happen ?? Should I ask my friend to apply for a transfer of ownership in Bangalore ? In that case, my address proof in Bangalore is needed ... which I don't have.
Or, should the transfer of ownership be done in Delhi ? Is my friend required to be in Delhi for that ?

Appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks,
Sonal.
Old 21st July 2008, 15:23   #26
Senior - BHPian

To register/re-register a car in NCR the vehicle has to conform to BSIII norms else it cant be registered. That's one thing I know for sure.

I am not sure why you want to buy your friend's car registered in KA but if you are you should prepare yourself for a long time for the transfer of ownership to happen & ofcourse bribe a few people here & there.
Old 21st July 2008, 15:41   #27
Senior - BHPian

Second-hand vehicles from other states cannot be registered in Delhi. There is no work around that since these are SC orders.
Old 24th July 2008, 11:27   #28

@asr245 - Thanks. I didn't know about the BSIII stipulation ... will check.

@iraghava - I checked the RTO forms ... they seem to allow re-registration of other state cars ?

I suppose I could just transfer the ownership but drive it with a KA plate ... of course I'd be taking my chances with the cops ... but in Delhi they don't seem to bother you too much for out of state plates

But I'm still not sure whether the transfer of ownership has to be done in Bangalore
or in Delhi ...

satisfactorilyDoes anybody have the contacts of a reliable agent ? I've burnt my fingers with agents in the past ... if there's an agent I can talk to that a team-bhpian has used, it would probably be more reliable.

Appreciate your help.
Old 24th July 2008, 17:03   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfDoze View Post
But I'm still not sure whether the transfer of ownership has to be done in Bangalore or in Delhi ...
If you want it to be KA, then got to do the transfer of ownership in Bangalore RTO. For that you got to be a resident in Bangalore. Life is tough.

You may have your reasons for buying from Bangalore. IMO, a used Alto would cost more in Bangalore, and add the expenses involved in getting the vehicle to Delhi- too costly!!
Old 24th July 2008, 17:27   #30
BHPian

You can drive your "private" vehicle to any part of india.

I think the time frame if you wish to use in any particular state/union territory is 6 months. After that you need to get NOC and registed in the place you are in.

Well that is the rule.

I was stopped couple of times on my bike which is KL reg as I'm now in chennai, for a bike you cannot say to the cops you are on the the way to somewhere. they will end us asking for $$ and there is no way to "prove" to them its been 6 months or less.

One of my friend got NOC and kept a Photocopy and updated the date frequently. Well I don't want to do that and now rarely take my bike out.

But same was asked to me when my parents and me drove in our car from Kerala to here. I asked the cop why do you need an NOC ?

He did't say anything back and let me go as all my papers were in order.
Yes it depends from place to place.

Chennai cops are obsessed with getting their hands on "other" state vehicles.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks