Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2006, 22:03   #1
BHPian

Brand ambassadors

I think Abhishek doesnt own a Fiesta, Saif or Rani doesnt own an Aveo, Sarukh is not going to drive Santro day to day.

Sick of these brand ambassadors. Atleast these companies can give spend on giving some good features in the cars or some accessories instead of spending for these people.
Old 26th March 2006, 01:41   #2
Senior - BHPian

I agree, I doubt many people buy a car just because they like the brand ambassador. Take for example Sunny Deol and Sunil Shetty endorsed vests, who would go into a shop and say I want one of those Sunny Deol vests.
Old 26th March 2006, 02:23   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCruiser
Sick of these brand ambassadors. Atleast these companies can give spend on giving some good features in the cars or some accessories instead of spending for these people.
Very rite but may be in the end we are the only one to blame for this as bigman said. We pay the price of competition at the end.

What you are saying goes most of the things and comodoties. . I heard the pepsi drink would cost less than 50% of its current cost if pepsi company does not advertise.
By the way i dont think Sarukh would ever have driven santro in his life except for that add!!

Last edited by amit1101 : 26th March 2006 at 02:29.
Old 26th March 2006, 04:34   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman
I agree, I doubt many people buy a car just because they like the brand ambassador. Take for example Sunny Deol and Sunil Shetty endorsed vests, who would go into a shop and say I want one of those Sunny Deol vests.
Maybe you wont but there are many people within the masses who will. Thats the magic of marketing.
The point is not if the car is driven by the brand ambassador but just having his approval on it means alot of some ppl specially his or her fans.
And whatever said and done the concept of having actors endorse cars has been working or else companies would go on a spree to have a new actor for every car launched these days.
Old 26th March 2006, 10:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil
Maybe you wont but there are many people within the masses who will. Thats the magic of marketing.
The point is not if the car is driven by the brand ambassador but just having his approval on it means alot of some ppl specially his or her fans.
And whatever said and done the concept of having actors endorse cars has been working or else companies would go on a spree to have a new actor for every car launched these days.

Without a doubt this works, why else would every company on earth use brand ambassadors
Old 26th March 2006, 11:48   #6
Senior - BHPian

It works if the car is good, it wont work with a bad car IMHO. Look at the Versa, it didnot work even with Amitab Bachaan and Abhishek.

Also look at the Getz, even though the Getz is quite a good car, its still not put the sales chart on fire even after having Sania Mirza as its brand ambassador. Look at the Swift no such brand ambassadoe but still a huge success, same story goes with City, Corolla, etc. But i really dont understand why they roped in Aamir Khan for the Innova.

About brand ambassadors not using that car from what i have heard, Shahrukh Khans Santro is used by his kids.
Old 26th March 2006, 13:53   #7
BHPian

Schumacher was in the palio ad. but it did not take off. may be the masses didnt know schumacher!!!
Old 26th March 2006, 15:38   #8
Senior - BHPian

A marketting guru once said " I know half the money I spend on advertising is wasted. The problem is I dont know which half"
Old 27th March 2006, 09:18   #9
LLL
BHPian

A brand ambassador is used to advertise a product so that he/she gets associated with the product and people are able to remember the product better/longer. This helps at the time of decision making.

Santro does not need SRK anymore. WagonR doesnt get advertised that often as it is already in people's mind and is automatically considered during decision making.

Fiesta/Aveo/Swift are new products and to enter public memory, they need brand ambassadors.

Also a good ad doesnt need a known personality - remember the lalitaji adv for a soap/detergent..
Old 27th March 2006, 10:46   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLL
A brand ambassador is used to advertise a product so that he/she gets associated with the product and people are able to remember the product better/longer. This helps at the time of decision making.
Exactly - when people think of the Santro, they remember SRK and those "my first car" ads - and they subconciously think that the product is as pleasing or dynamic as the personality of the star promoting it .... and they tend to get a feel-good factor and overlook some minor niggling issues, or perhaps the image/reputation of the company/car ...
Old 27th March 2006, 13:12   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Completely agree with you Landcrusier, its just a complete waste of money. These stars hardly influence my purchase decisions and also most of the people I know.

This goes even for other products.
Old 4th October 2006, 19:38   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5u3zEr0
Completely agree with you Landcrusier, its just a complete waste of money. These stars hardly influence my purchase decisions and also most of the people I know.
Exactly what I used to think. But not after seeing my friend (an Engr + MBA) going for a Santro mainly bcos SRK endorsed it and he is a big SRK fan. If an educated guy like him makes such a decision, imagine normal people's thought process.
Old 4th October 2006, 19:55   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak
A marketting guru once said " I know half the money I spend on advertising is wasted. The problem is I dont know which half"
Depends greatly on the spend. Why...How...where...when, and most importantly how much.

Another example is Mercedes Benz. They do not use celebrities...because celebrities use their cars.
Old 4th October 2006, 20:22   #14
Senior - BHPian

The main point behind getting a well known brand ambassador is:

1. People who are fan of his/her will buy just for the sake of it...
2. People who dont go by such celebrities, will at least remember the ad and the product because of them..

About FIAT Palio, well the ad was given way back in 2001 or 2002 when Schumi was not that well known to India.. For past 3-4 years FIAT have not put any ad on Indian channels... Personally I believe this strategy sucks as TV is the only medium through which you can reach to mass ppl..

Anyways these are the 2 reaons why automobile or for that matter any product company is wasting their money on brand amb. and then recovering them by putting percentage of it in product cost... At last its we who get a big hole in pocket...

Cheers
NeoOnWheels
Palio 1.2 Sport / 13 KMPL / AND IT ROCKS !!!
Old 4th October 2006, 20:23   #15
Senior - BHPian

Another success story of a brand ambassador promoting a vehicle is Mahendra singh Dhoni for TVS motorcycles[Especially in jharkhand and bihar],

People in Jharkhand actually ask the dealer to give them the bike which dhoni rides in the ad[one of them in a tv interview said it was his moral duty to buy whatever dhoni endorsed]

You may have noticed the new ad,which is even more bihar,jharkhand oriented.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks