Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2006, 10:13   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
for we aren’t going to entertain any more correspondence on this matter (we’ve got tons of driving to do).
I think after reading their FE claims so one must have hired them as their driver so i guess they indeed have tons of driving to do.

According to ACI the Alto 1.1 is faster then the Zen as its quite simple Alto 1.1 has more bhp and is lighter

@L8uLoose - I agree about what you have to say but ACI doesnot have such tall claims atleast their FE figures are reasonable and achievable. Wheras OD once said some bike gives 101kmpl Now the manufacturer took advantage of it and then used that in their advertisement and people actually did buy the bike and got around 60. They wrote to ACI and ACI said that their FE claim was around this wheras other mags just go overboard.

Edit - Looks like i have been banned there. Now that shows that OD guys dont have the guts to face me again. I have posted only in that particular thread with the complain which can be seen in Post 1.

Last edited by BUSA : 7th April 2006 at 10:21.
Old 7th April 2006, 10:19   #47
Team-BHP Support

Guys, lets take the high road here. Please leave snide comments and personal attacks out of this. No mud slinging.

Represent the facts and let them speak for themselves.
Old 7th April 2006, 10:22   #48
BHPian

whatever the arguments that ar being bandied abt here,
I have always found Overdrives fuel figures completely out of whack.
to the extent that they are misleading to the readers

i remember the figures the quoted for the matiz were crazy.
The dealer had a Big poster of it (naturally) on the wall.
I never ever got anywhere near those figures.

To that extent, i find ACI fuel figures far more realistic.

You wanna test economy, do the runs in Bomay & not Pune.
DO the peak hour to town from bandra.
and simply do short runs in Bandra in the evening, when you cant go beyond 2nd. thats what will give you true eco figures.

OD fuel cons figures really suck
Old 7th April 2006, 12:58   #49
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The car number being GJ 17 C 8147, now you please refer Jan 2006 issue Vol 8 No 5 and the comparo between the City Vtec and the Optra 1.6 LT features the same car as visible by their number plates.
I remember in some magazine they had used pics of a Mercedes C180 in a C Kompressor test drive. Both cars had the same number plate.
Old 7th April 2006, 13:06   #50
Senior - BHPian

i remember OD advising 165/65r13 ,155/70r13 tires on a car that comes with 145/80r12 as the right upsize ....looked like they had forgotten of something called "Overall Diameter",when it was their mag only that had carried an article on tires and the like ...

i had also written to them ,but got no reply ...nor did they bother to change it on the website .

After AJD ,i have stopped reading OD ...
Old 7th April 2006, 14:39   #51
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12
I remember in some magazine they had used pics of a Mercedes C180 in a C Kompressor test drive. Both cars had the same number plate.
OK Now this is a FACT.
Most mag's get these cars before they are registered, or with out of state registration plates, so they put some "BORROWED" numberplates on the cars so as not to get caught by the cops when they take them on their FE runs and whatnot.
Thats why you saw 2 cars with the same plates.
Old 7th April 2006, 15:34   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya
i remember OD advising 165/65r13 ,155/70r13 tires on a car that comes with 145/80r12 as the right upsize ....looked like they had forgotten of something called "Overall Diameter",
I see absolutely nothing wrong with that suggestion!!

cya
R
Old 7th April 2006, 16:48   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2L8uLoose
OK Now this is a FACT.
Most mag's get these cars before they are registered, or with out of state registration plates, so they put some "BORROWED" numberplates on the cars so as not to get caught by the cops when they take them on their FE runs and whatnot.
Thats why you saw 2 cars with the same plates.
But the car in question here was the same 1.6 version.

Quote:
i remember the figures the quoted for the matiz were crazy
Yes even i have heard them. They say around 30kmpl and thats really shocking as a Alto is the most FE car in India returns 14 or something in the Mumbai city.
Old 7th April 2006, 17:36   #54
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan
I see absolutely nothing wrong with that suggestion!!
That tyre is about 1 cm taller...
If the car in question happens to be a zen.. then it might touch the insides when under full load.
Old 7th April 2006, 23:26   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK
That tyre is about 1 cm taller...
If the car in question happens to be a zen.. then it might touch the insides when under full load.
1cm larger OD still works out to only 5mm closer to the parts where it might cause interference. I still maintain that theres absolutely nothing wrong with that suggestion. Its not even 2% larger in terms of circumference and that is acceptable...

cya
R
Old 7th April 2006, 23:52   #56
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan
Its not even 2% larger in terms of circumference and that is acceptable...
Well, nevermind... yes it is acceptable...
though these cars come with 155/65 R13.. when they are sold under suzuki brand. (& even the Indian WagonR Vxi)
Apart from the change in height... there is also increase in width when we talk 165.
Old 9th April 2006, 11:10   #57
Senior - BHPian

Also OD has mentioned that the weight of the Skoda Rider is 1260 kgs where as Skodas website says it weighs 1350kgs, and they comment that the Optra is too ponderous and too heavy wheras the Rider is heavier butttttttt in their comparo with all those mixed figures it seems Optra is the heaviest.

EDIT : - It seems the TDI powered diesel is lighter then the RS/Turbo.

Last edited by BUSA : 9th April 2006 at 11:11.
Old 9th April 2006, 11:22   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA
Also OD has mentioned that the weight of the Skoda Rider is 1260 kgs where as Skodas website says it weighs 1350kgs, and they comment that the Optra is too ponderous and too heavy wheras the Rider is heavier butttttttt in their comparo with all those mixed figures it seems Optra is the heaviest.

EDIT : - It seems the TDI powered diesel is lighter then the RS/Turbo.
I think you've made your point Busa. However, stretching it beyond a certain threshold becomes nitpicking, no matter how right you are. None of us can claim to be totally error-free, and if we want to keep picking holes in another person's point of view there really is no limit to it.

More than the actual misprints or errors in the magazine, we should be worried about what are presented as facts for measurable criteria like Fuel Economy or 0-100 figures that readers may rely on for decision making.
Old 9th April 2006, 11:38   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
I think you've made your point Busa. However, stretching it beyond a certain threshold becomes nitpicking, no matter how right you are. None of us can claim to be totally error-free, and if we want to keep picking holes in another person's point of view there really is no limit to it.
Spot on Steeroid!!

You took the words right off my fingertips.
I think everyone here has made their point, and now its upto the individuals to form their own opinions.

cya
R
Old 9th April 2006, 11:46   #60
Senior - BHPian

Steeroid your right. Buttttttttttt its not today but its ages since Mags have been making mistakes and i never complained for i knew that no one is error free butttttttt this time they just went overboard. The ones i have listed are just a few of them and since i am not much in nitpicking i just posted a few important ones for i cant understand these mistakes to be unintentional. Anyways let peace prevail
Closed Thread

Most Viewed