Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2006, 21:58   #16
Team-BHP Support

Use a 20,000rs Linux box as the computer which connects to the internet. Squid is free and setting up a proxy is trivial. Since the linux box will filter access for all protocols. no IE only or firefox only etc., solution!
Old 29th March 2006, 22:00   #17
Team-BHP Support

CC Proxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Hi

Our office has an X number of computers which connect to the internet through a single XP Professional based server. It has ISS and all that running perfectly.

I know that there is a way but I cant find it. How do I block access to certain websites, so that my staff cannot access a specific list of websites?

Thanks a ton

GTO
try Youngzsoft. they have a program called CCProxy, it's simple to install, configure & it's free. have tried it with 6 pcs runnink Win2K successfully - don't know what the limit is or whether it works properly with WinXP.

if you ask Aditya, he might be able to get you a couple of other programs too.
Old 29th March 2006, 22:24   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
Consider Microsoft ISA Server 2000/2004 if it is within your budget. This is extremely flexible, have used it since 2000.
how much? and does it haev user limitation etc?
Old 30th March 2006, 01:35   #19
BHPian

My opinion - get a decent computer (well need not be a new one any older one - pentium III or higher with some 128megs of RAM at least would be fine) and install a GNU/Linux distribution on it. Next setup Squid proxy(www.squid-cache.org) on the Linux box u just installed (it should be included with your Linux distribution ) and configure ACL's or access control lists for it to block whatever you'd like.... you could install webmin on the box which would take away most of the pain of configuring the Linux box (including the squid proxy and the ACLs). The Squid proxy would also take some load off your net connection and also can be used to get statistics/logs of internet usage

well, this process may involve a little learning curve for someone new to Linux.A recommended thing to do is get in touch with some friendly neighbourhood dude who uses Linux and ask for help. IMHO ilug bombay guys too would be a good point to ask for help http://www.glug-bom.org

Cost of the software would be well - nil only cost i see would be the cost associated to get someone to do the whole setup....in case one decided to DIY well then that too would be nil !

...and this setup would be pretty much secure and virus free!! and won't hang/crash/reboot and do all the not so good things that Winduhs(!) is associated with !

Last edited by techn0l0gist : 30th March 2006 at 01:43.
Old 30th March 2006, 08:24   #20
BHPian

Why don't you check out wingate ? I used this one on my development centre ( 1 Win 98 PC acting as the proxy server for more than 10 client PCs sharing a 512 Kbps DSL line ). I should say it was capable of handlilg large number of clients with a fairly simple interface, with advanced options if you need same. You can control both inbound and outbound access with that, and the proxy server does not have to be a high-performance PC... infact mine ran on AMD processor with 256 MB RAM and a 8 GB HDD.

If you want a permanent solution though, get yourself a hardware Firewall, something like the ZyWall 5 from Zyxel. Nothing beats this.... I don't remamber the last time I had to change any setting on my firewall... it's been more than a year while the number of client PCs have more than doubled. Approx price for the ZyWall should be around $500 ( same as a PC, but this will free your current Win XP proxy....)

PM me if you need further information...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks