Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2012, 10:05   #1
BHPian

No one stops & checks the Bullet!!

Yeah right. As per the title of the thread I really feel that this happens.

I have been riding the bull for 6 years now and till date not a single traffic cop has ever stopped me for checking !! I dont know why but i have a feeling that the traffic cops do not stop the guys on a bullet

I am from Nasik but I have taken my bike to various cities - Pune, Mumbai, Ahmedabad (with my MH - 15 registration) but still i have never been stopped by a cop.

Would like to know if any other fellow bhpians have had such experiences
350biker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2012, 10:32   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: No one checks the bullet !!

It might have to do more with the political party flag you have been sporting on your numberplate than the bike itself

Kidding. This is interesting. I have also read that the tow vehicle that picks up the bikes parked in no parking area is usually averse to picking up bullet due to its sheer weight!
Old 28th March 2012, 10:33   #3
BHPian

Oh yes! bang on! never been stopped

Couple of stories.

1. Used to teach kids at Bosco on sundays at Chamrajpet around 4 years ago.
While coming back from the school, I noticed a lot of cops on the road stopping and checking almost all other vehicles (bikes & cars). Later came to know that there was some riot between the Auto drivers and the cops. As expected, no one said a word to the Bird!

2.Had parked my ride on Brigade road, near Shoolay circle: was waiting for a friend. The cops came in the big tow van. Took a look at my ride and then lifted couple of pulsars & RXs around my ride and left. I was standing a few meters away from the scene to just observe what they do!
Old 28th March 2012, 10:53   #4
BHPian

Perhaps off-topic.
Observations from my side-
  • When I'm driving my Figo and I hear the distinctive screaming of a Bullet coming through at high speed, I instinctively slow down and let the Bullet overtake my car. No questions asked!
  • When I'm overtaking a Bullet, I keep side gap so huge as if overtaking a truck and not a bike. Many a times they accelerate on seeing that they are being overtaken. I slow down and cancel the overtaking in such cases.
  • My general impression is that Bullet riders are huge and tough-built men with who you don't want to mess with
PS: I was never stopped on my tiny TVS Scooty also

Last edited by noopster : 28th March 2012 at 17:45. Reason: Team-BHP encourages safe driving practices.
DevilsCry is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2012, 10:56   #5
Team-BHP Support

Well, the chaps who lift bikes parked in no-parking zones might not lift Bullets because it is too much work.

But, about Bullets not being stopped. Come to B'lore and drive on any main street on any night after 2200. Bullet or Sunny (the 50 cc bike), you will be stopped.

I think you not being stopped as yet is merely co-incidental with you riding a Bullet.

PS : I was never stopped on a Kinetic. Does that count?
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2012, 11:34   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post

PS : I was never stopped on a Kinetic. Does that count?
+1 to that.

Even I with my P150 have never been stopped in the last 5 years. During that period I rode my bike in 4 different cities in 2 different states.

To add to it,I recently shifted to B'lore 3 months ago and had been riding without my front number plate. I have never been stopped even in junctions swarming with cops. I got my front number plate written a few days ago.
Old 28th March 2012, 12:13   #7
BHPian

I also was never stopped while riding a bullet. And I was riding a TN registered bullet in Kerala for almost 2 years with all my papers at RTO for transferring registration to KL. But I guess that is because I always rode properly when there is police around, always wore helmet and never took rides at night.

But still, I was stopped thrice in 3 years that I have owned R15 . Never had to pay a fine, though.
Old 28th March 2012, 13:58   #8
BHPian

Re: No one stops & checks the Bullet!!

I believe this used to be true when only 'men' used to ride a bullet! Today every other guy in the corner owns a bullet! Trust me, majority riding a bullet today have no clue how or why a bullet thumps when other four stroke bikes purr!!! I bet on this!!
Old 28th March 2012, 14:30   #9
BHPian

Well, this seems to be universal phenomenon.

I've been riding a Pune registered, cast iron 500 for the last nine years and in multiple states and I've never been pulled over.

I remember seeing multiple checkpoints while riding from Sonamarg to Jammu with vehicles being pulled over and searched at multiple points. This was back in 2005. Most of the army guys manning the posts would have a look at my grey 500, the riding gear, smile and wave me through.

Another incident was while exiting Mahe and entering Kerala where the police officers pulled me over (they check for illegal trafficking of alcohol), chatted for a while, offered tea and took rides on my bike as they had never seen a 500 before. Papers didn't even come into the conversation.

I've lost count of the times when aggressive checking was on and I've slowed down, waved at the cops, got a wave back in return and moved on. Bullets pay you back for all the trouble that you go through to keep them running smoothly .
Old 28th March 2012, 14:33   #10
Senior - BHPian

You have been lucky all this while, and my take is its got nothing to do with Bullet.

We have been stopped a few times, although i have never ridden a Bullet myself, but have been a pillion few times and i do recall being stopped by Cops. Once it was in my hometown and once it was in Chennai. Offcourse when it comes to parking violations the pickup guys don't bother picking up Bullet as its heavier.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 28th March 2012 at 14:34.
Old 28th March 2012, 15:11   #11
Senior - BHPian

Adding to this subject,

Something I have noticed in the last ten years of riding my Bullets is that, when the bike turns off in traffic, which it does at times when I least dont want it to, is that the person behind normally does'nt honk untill the bike has started again. At the most, if the bike doesnt not start in the thrid kick, it is a single honk from behind.
However, I have noticed that if an autorick or a moped or scooter turns off, there is a orchestra of honks behind him!
Maybe its the image of the Bullet being a heavy bike and the decomp process of starting that most of the public have in their minds.

On the topic of stopping and checking Bullets,
I have been stopped and given weird looks as well since my Registration has a 'G' in it and from front with the army crashguard, it may look like a Govt Bullet to some.
Like someone said above, in Blore, there is no distinction as such with the cops. And add to that, now Bullets are no more rare.
Old 28th March 2012, 18:04   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Cops?
I have one better.
Some years ago, I was riding my brothers bullet though a colony, and approached an intersection.
An esteem came in perpendicular to me, and he saw me, and stopped.
I dropped anchors too, the bike skidded, upright, and banged into the car.
he got out, looked at me, looked at the bike, and goes, "abey haan, ye to rukti hi nahi hai kaise bhi"
(This does not stop, do what you may.)
and drove off....
apparently not my fault!
Old 28th March 2012, 18:24   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
I believe this used to be true when only 'men' used to ride a bullet! Today every other guy in the corner owns a bullet! Trust me, majority riding a bullet today have no clue how or why a bullet thumps when other four stroke bikes purr!!! I bet on this!!
+1 to that.

These days you will find a lot of new gen classic or TB owners trying to sneak in through the traffic as if they're riding a TVS 50 (no offence meant to anyone here in specific). Most new bikers prefer to keep the crash guard away since it allows them to move through spaces that I'd never even think of doing. The point I'm making is that the Bullets are no longer symbolic of what they used to be in the (not so recent) past.

As far as stopping by cops is concerned, I've been stopped for checking papers at least a couple of times in Blore and in Mumbai too. And it's not just on the T'bird but also on my Dad's 350 as well. So, I don't think its a function of what you ride vs whether the cops stop you or not.

On the other hand, one of my Dad's previously owned RE 350 was bought from a "party leader" and was painted orange when we got it. That one for sure earned salutes whenever he used to ride since most cops in the area associated the bike to it's original owner (until of course we changed the color to black). So if you do ride such classics, you're going to get respect for sure .
Old 28th March 2012, 19:44   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nair View Post
I also was never stopped while riding a bullet. And I was riding a TN registered bullet in Kerala for almost 2 years with all my papers at RTO for transferring registration to KL. But I guess that is because I always rode properly when there is police around, always wore helmet and never took rides at night.

But still, I was stopped thrice in 3 years that I have owned R15 . Never had to pay a fine, though.
What?? They took 2 years to transfer your bullet from TN registration to KL registration? The Kerala RTO surely seems to be taking its own sweet time.
Old 28th March 2012, 20:27   #15
Team-BHP Support

Honestly, I find it amusing that riding a Bullet is associated with superiority on the road!

What's more amusing is that people who think so! Just my opinion.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks