Chandigarh 19 10.44%
None of the above 11 6.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2006, 15:09   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Bombay probably ranks lowest on these, but I just cant imagine living any place else. Whether in India or overseas. For me, Bombay it is.
GTO
There is something about this city of Mumbai, that once somebody is settled there, he/she wouldn't want to move to any other place. I've recently bought a flat in Navi-Mumbai. Though, i've hardly lived there at all..

I've been just once to Gandhi-Nagar in Gujarat and I fell in love with the planning of the city. Very well planned and well executed. Wide-Roads, lots of trees.. You can compare it with vintage Bangalore..
Old 3rd April 2006, 15:53   #17
Team-BHP Support

Actually couldn't fine out Noida either so voted for Delhi. But Gurgaon is hellish compared to Noida. Bad bad roads, no streetlights and lots of malls ensure perpetual chaos. Add to that very very high rents in half decent areas(compared to noida) and you have an almost unlivable place. Also metro to Gurgaon may never happen due to haryana govt. In Noida already soil testing has started and work will begin in a few months.
Old 3rd April 2006, 15:59   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
Actually couldn't fine out Noida either so voted for Delhi. But Gurgaon is hellish compared to Noida. Bad bad roads, no streetlights and lots of malls ensure perpetual chaos. Add to that very very high rents in half decent areas(compared to noida) and you have an almost unlivable place. Also metro to Gurgaon may never happen due to haryana govt. In Noida already soil testing has started and work will begin in a few months.
Totally agree with you - Gurgaon has really bad roads and horrendous traffic. But same is the case with Noida - real estate prices are much more hyped than in Gurgaon, and traffic in the older sectors is very bad.
Old 3rd April 2006, 16:02   #19
BHPian

If I had been asked this question 6 years back, I would have said bangalore without a moments hesitation - an IT guys paradise + wonderful weather + laidback environment.

But now .... better not state the obvious.

One of my all time favorites is Chandigarh - though only when I plan to retire.
Old 3rd April 2006, 16:07   #20
Team-BHP Support

But in noida atleast they repair the potholes on all main roads and also the streetlights work. One of the best things are the new Light towers put at all major intersections. Really light up the night!
Old 3rd April 2006, 17:23   #21
Team-BHP Support

Ok now that I have gone ahead voted for a city nobody was willing to take a bet on (kolkata) let me line up the arguments.

No one city will match up to a perfect 100 or for that matter anywhere close to that. With that in mind let me tell you a few juicy facts... haa haaa haaa... Kolkata is a metro... it is a metro and yet the cost of housing is one of the lowest in india. Kolkata is bracing up for the upcoming boom time. Lot many new flyovers, bridges and expressways are coming up. Metro is being extended. Housing has taken an altogether new meaning. In the last few years Kolkata is one of those few cities that is going power surplus. Kolkata is now flooded with malls, supermarkets and multiplexes. Food and eating out costs are still one of the lowest anywhere in the country. Money gives you the maximum bang here. Sample these... You can get a hugely yummy egg-roll (for the rest of india this Frankie) for just Rs.8. A plate of chowmin and its variants (kolkata equivalent of various chinese noodle preps) costs start from just Rs. 15. This is one city where even today the neighborhood ciggie shop will diligently return you the 25 paise change for one ciggie's cost if the ciggie costs 17.50 for a box of 10. And finally, water problem is virtually unheard of. This is because the city is on the banks of hoogly and hence water tables are always brimming.

So now that you have seen these what are the opportunities? Welll... BPOs are flooding kolkata now and so are the IT cos. Infosys, Wipro, Satyam, TCS, CTS, GE, MBT, IBM, PwC (Pricewaterhouse Coopers)... you name them they all are there now. So you see? Its a city worth looking at. You get all the frills of a metro at half the costs or even lesser.

And since nobody else vouched the case for Hyderabad (I wonder why) I would say that if you want to keep yourself limited to the currently proven cities in IT and allied fields Hyderabad is the city. However the traffic scenario is getting tad out of control now. The housing costs although still low is fast catching up with its bigger brethren (in terms of rent). Power problems are getting acute (load-sheddings already started). Water problem in summers is acute in several pockets. And if you are planning to buy a house here then you do have some problems as the market is already over-heated. However it is the only South indian city where you never feel like an alien. Thanks to the nizami culture, the food habits and all... the city rocks!

Btw... I have lived in Mumbai for a prolonged period... it may fail on most criterion and yet it is something else. Mumbai is a state of the mind which is difficult to explain to most non-mumbakars... Probably that famous line (coined by Shive Sena I think) "Mumbai mazhi laad ki" sums it up
Old 3rd April 2006, 17:51   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo
Btw... I have lived in Mumbai for a prolonged period... it may fail on most criterion and yet it is something else. Mumbai is a state of the mind which is difficult to explain to most non-mumbakars... Probably that famous line (coined by Shive Sena I think) "Mumbai mazhi laad ki" sums it up
Mumbai may score low on all the criteria put down here but Mumbai has that X factor. The energy in Mumbai is amazing - like they say Mumbai never sleeps. The people of Mumbai are one of its biggest assets with everyone having a can-do attitude. What about safety? Mumbai is perhaps one of the safest cities for women. Mumbai also has some really good public transportation. Besides Mumbai is the city of dreams..........Iv been in Delhi for around 2 years now and its a nice city but nothing can compare to aamchi mumbai
Old 3rd April 2006, 17:59   #23
BHPian

apna dilli..!! though noida is an awesome place too..but then delhi and noida is one of the same thing...noida is just more organised than most parts of delhi..
Old 3rd April 2006, 18:04   #24
BHPian

hmm...

mumbai.....

anyday.....

anyhow...

and anyway....
Old 3rd April 2006, 18:19   #25
BHPian

i would say definetly hyderabad
Old 3rd April 2006, 21:13   #26
BHPian

Suprising results...I went with bangalore .I'd guess in the metros..traffic situatin is pretty bad as far as chennai and delhi are concerned....although its a lot worse in bangalore. Corruptoin is probably high everywhere. But the reason I preferred bangalore is for its climate, FDI, software employment, peace of mind. I know delhi and chennai pretty well and it is pretty chaotic there...so bang seems to be the best right now
Old 3rd April 2006, 21:31   #27
Senior - BHPian

I voted for Chennai, probably because I lived there for 6 years !!

But I think Delhi has a fair chance of making it as a good place to live in.. why? Because the Supreme court has virtually taken over the administration of the city and politicians have started scurrying for cover and hesitate to interefere (unlike our Mannina maga Deve Gowda in Bangalore) !!

Only downside is the crime rate and the kidnap/extortion industry spilling over from neighbouring UP.
Old 3rd April 2006, 21:38   #28
BHPian

Blr no more

Bangalore was a gud place to Live in, but as of today..it has the worst infrastructure, the climate is all screwed up, too hot now....Lots of dust.....and less of night life. I still remember those days back in the 90's when blr was like heaven..with a wonderfull climate..now my vote would go for HYD !!
Old 3rd April 2006, 21:45   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod
Suprising results...I went with bangalore .I'd guess in the metros..traffic situatin is pretty bad as far as chennai and delhi are concerned....although its a lot worse in bangalore. Corruptoin is probably high everywhere. But the reason I preferred bangalore is for its climate, FDI, software employment, peace of mind. I know delhi and chennai pretty well and it is pretty chaotic there...so bang seems to be the best right now
When was the last time u visited blr ??
Old 3rd April 2006, 22:08   #30
BHPian

Mumbai is
safe
cosmopolitan
never sleeps
business-minded
has the best public transportation
has a soul
a city with plenty of natural resources

Most Viewed