Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2006, 13:04   #31
Senior - BHPian

I think the best demarcation would be along the economic lines. The biggest disadvantage anybody is at is the economic or financial disadvantage. If there is an open category student who can't afford a seat, and a OBC category student can, why doesn't the open category student deserve the seat? Because he was born into the wrong family caste?
Old 14th April 2006, 05:54   #32
BANNED

A very nice discussion about quotas is also going at PagalGuy
Old 16th April 2006, 14:50   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry for bringing up this thread again but i have to do a debate in my school against the reservation of seats and i have got some good points from here.
I was wondernig if you guys could help me out with the following doubts -
1. Can some of you guys give me examples of well known, well to do people from the SC/ST who shouldn't be counted in quota
2. Who pays for the SC,ST people getting the seats? Do they pay (the SC/ST people who are applying under this), does the government pay, does the instituition pay? I nkow this may be a dumb question but just wanted to clarify.
Thanks.
Cheers
Old 16th April 2006, 15:32   #34
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini
2. Who pays for the SC,ST people getting the seats? Do they pay (the SC/ST people who are applying under this), does the government pay, does the instituition pay? I nkow this may be a dumb question but just wanted to clarify.
Not 100% sure.... but The govt pays...
There was a point that came up.... that said... the fee should be borne by the SC/ST/OBC guys themselves by taking loan or whatever.... so that they are obligated to payback the loan and accordingly perform better. (otherwise they tend to the whole thing as granted... easy seat ... no fee)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini
1. Can some of you guys give me examples of well known, well to do people from the SC/ST who shouldn't be counted in quota
Half of our parliament members..... (don't use this in school)

Last edited by SLK : 16th April 2006 at 15:36.
Old 17th April 2006, 00:15   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks SLK.
I found out, the government pays 50% of the fees.
So instead of giving scholarships to people who deserve it and improving the infrastructure of small towns where the SC/ST live, they have decided to reserve seats for them in institues like IIT and IIM.
Nice.
Old 17th April 2006, 00:26   #36
Senior - BHPian

If these politicians are not stopped tomorrow they will come up with even more absurd demands for quotas. Already they talk about quotas in private companies. Next they will tell us we need to fix quotas for the cricket team.
Old 17th April 2006, 10:31   #37
Team-BHP Support

The whole problem steps due to two reasons
1. Vote bank politics
2. Shirking responsibility
About the second point let me elaborate. The backward and poor of the country need upliftment. The correct solution would be for the HRD ministry would be to open world class schools in backward areas where fee is nominal and all facilities provided by elite private schools are provided free of cost to the poor and needy. This includes coaching for IIT/CAT etc., free material, midday meal etc., But this requires work. This requires the babus to make schemes, execute, spend their brains. So they choose the easy way out. Quota
Old 13th May 2006, 22:43   #38
BHPian

saw it on tv how they merciless beat up the medical students in mumbai, its difficult getting into professional college and surving and now this, i remeber some minister saying that he would not get operated upon by someone from the SC/ST/OBC or whatever cast.. coz he was not confident !!!

Divide the masses , not on the basis of their self-worth but on what they were born with ?

Its shamefull that un-educated worthless politcians make crores and hardworking individuals get beaten up..

sometimes i realise that i hate this place.. wish we had an exponential rise in brain drain.. but this is home isnt it ?
Old 13th May 2006, 23:19   #39
Senior - BHPian

It is purely Vote bank politics. It is surprising that our intellectual PM and FM are supporting this harmful practice.
Old 14th May 2006, 12:13   #40

wats this country comming to???

Saw the news a little while back...Medical students in mumbai being mercilessly beaten by fat old Policemen(u knoe...keepin these slobs in mind,i think its high time that hindi movies change the dialogue from "kanoon ke haath bahut lambe hain" to "kanoon ke peth bahut bade hain" or mayb "kanoon ki paunch(pun intended) bahut dur tak hai"...wud really suit 'em),students being literally dragged on the roads to the police vans...superb!!
All of us must also congratulate the govt for their brilliant policies.Call the terrorist organisations of kashmir(hurriyat n all those stoopid parties) for a round table conference,give them a nice patient hearing and on the other hand beat the living hell out of the future of our country and dont even listen to them!Even terrorists get more respect than us students.Amazing.
The whole reservation thing is crap.I burn the proverbial midnight oil,I go to skool and then come back to go and take coachin for 5 hrs at fiitjee sittin in a rickety old classroom which is as old as dear arjun singh,I spend 2 years of my life studyin bout light waves i cant see and sound waves i cant hear....and at the end i dont get into IIT bcuz sum dude has got thru bcuz of him bein an OBC !!!And all this because some old politician sittin in his room decides that he wants more votes...
I really want to salute those medical guyz who've been braving the police lathis and the water cannons.They are the real heros of this struggle.

P.S--i dont how many of u saw ndtv yesterday but they were broadcastin a sting operation wherin they showed how fake obc,scheduled caste certificates were bein sold for as low as 1000 bucks!!!!
Old 15th May 2006, 12:51   #41
Senior - BHPian

I am not against reservations as a whole, but they should be restricted to once per generation. Also, if they have to avail of reservations, they could do so only once in their lives (either for their education, or for their job). Once a person avails of reservations of any kind, his kids (and theirs too..) shouldnt be allowed to have any again,since their family has had a chance to uplift themselves.
But irrespective of their castes, the government should continue to have,say, 5-7% reservation for the Economically Backward Classes. Its an essential thing in a country like ours.
Old 18th May 2006, 20:57   #42
Senior - BHPian

Medical Seats Reservations

Forwarded Mail:

Friends,
Dear friends please spend some time to read this. U can make a difference.

As u all guys know that there have beeen lot of protests going on against the raise in reservations. All of us stuggle for months and years to make our dreams come true; No body in the government is bothered about that. This new policy of govt ll be a major road block in the development of our nation and creation of a caste free society. I want to share some developments occurring here with respect to this issue.

Abt 2 weeks back the Students Union ( SU ) of AIIMS ( UGs and Interns ) started the protests. they held peaceful march. Their main demand was to meet Honbl. Arjun Singh and to express their concern regarding the hike in reservations. What they got in return. Water canons, tear gas shells and Lathis. Some of the interns who were beaten were my friends and i could see their injury marks. Worse, some were girls. Sad isnt it ? Well next few days due to their constant struggle they could get to meet Dr Arjun Singh. No positive response was obtained. He however promised that before sending the bill to cabinet, he would inform the SU. The students continued to boycott their classes. Other medical colleges of delhi also joined. We Resident Doctors of AIIMS however were not actively participating. We wore black badges and attended few rallies.

12 th May saw a new beginning. Our medical students were brutally assaulted by Delhi police. Injured were brought to AIIMS. Fracture hand bone, head injury, blunt trauma abdomen with intra-abdominal bleed; > 300 students were manhandled including girls, stuffed in buses and taken to police station. I remember the dialogue from RDB. This incident will prove to be a final nail in coffin for our Congress Govt. At around 3 pm the Resident Doctors Association ( RDA ) of AIIMS announced an indefinite strike. All Junior Residents ( Acad or Non-acad ) & Senior Residents boycotted. Protest rally was organized that day.

13 th may was the worst day in the history of our Indian Independence and so called Democracy. Medical Students of Mumbai were beaten like animals. Infact animals also are never treated like this. Every body would have witness the brutality of the Mumbai Police.17 - 18 year old medical students were beaten up. Future of our country treated like this? And these are the same Police Men who come to our OPD and ask for peferential treatment. Shame on them. And listen to what Bhujbal said on TV. I thought we need a real RDB now. This incident triggered the suppressed fire in each and every individual. We at AIIMS went on INDEFINITE HUNGER STRIKE from 14 th morning joined by medical students from MAMC Delhi, Lady Harding, RML Hosp, Rohtak Medical College . Slowly the fire spread to diferent states of our country. You know what happened in Blore. Calcutta, Orissa, Chattisgarh, Gujrat, Himachal Pradesh, Kerala boiled in protests. Students of Delhi University ( BSc BCom...) also joined the strike

The hunger strike in AIIMS continues. More than 100 students and residents are sitting in the heat since 14 th morning just on plain water. Believe me we slept in the open last night empty stomach. Its only when rain started pouring we had go inside the audi and slept there.

The IMA has announced comlete medical bandh today ( 15 th may ). Doctors from all over delhi have come to AIIMS and are holding protests. IITs and IIMs have joined the strike. Even patients and their attenders were of full support towards this cause. One man said," My father is admitted in NS department and is fighting for his life and death, but i declare that i have no objection with ur strike. I support ur movement and the cause for which u re fighting. Our country needed this."

All of us know what is right and what is wrong. Having said that i feel that each one of us should follow our conscience. I ve written this message because i felt there are many of who might not be aware of the exact situation. I request each one of u to please forward this to all ur friends, Medicos or Non-medicos. Every common man needs to be aware of the injustice and should be involved in this effort.

This Movement will be a revolution in our independent country and will be the most significant event after the British Rule. It ll be the cause for the rewriting of Indian Constitution where just and meritorious people are not singled out and put to taste the adversities and someone else enjoys the benefit.

The government cannot hide its inadequacies in providing equal opportunities to the under priviliged in rural areas by increasing the reservations. They have ruled the country for so many decades and if in this time they are not able to provide equalilty in primary and secondary education for in dian citizens they cannot mask their failure by providing reservations at each and every level. Its ridiculous. The whole issue of reservations was a political gimmic of the present govt to garner votes.

Its time that things are not taken for granted by any one. Let it be a senior minister police or anyone else. Whole of our nation needs to get aware of the amount of hardwork and sacrifice we put to achieve our dreams. We should not allow anyone to make a mockery of our struggle in future.

Thank U Friends.

Dr Kiran,

Junior Resident,

Internal Medicine,

All India Institute Of Medical Sciences,
Old 18th May 2006, 21:39   #43
Senior - BHPian

I am with them, the students......................
Old 18th May 2006, 22:50   #44
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Guys here is a petition against the 50% Reservation in professional colleges.

Petition : NO QUOTA

Lets show our support

Cheers
aZa
Old 19th May 2006, 12:09   #45
BANNED

Hey, I too am with the students on this issue !! I mean what is the Govt thinking by increasing reservations and that too in medical professions ... I mean comeon .. if I ever fall seriously ill or have a major accident I wudn't want to be treated by a guy whos become a doctor just because he belonged to the SC/ST quota and got into the proffession with 40% marks .

The Govt also wanted to have a quota system in the Pvt sector .. lets imagine a quota guy working for Bharti and dealing with a foreign client !!! I don't see an issue in the following scenario .. Medical College -- 1 seat left , 2 candidates , 1 from the regular quota and 1 from the SC/ST quota and both having 85% .. and if in that case the seat is given to SC/ST person . Thats fine but not if the regular guy has 85% and the SC/ST guy has 70% and the 70% guy still gets the single seat --NO BLOODY WAY !!

And from the political angle .. I don't see what makes the Congress think that they should do this ?? Don't the quota ppl already have enough partiality towards them .. just gone mad trying to figure out what cud the Govt think they will achieve by this whole issue ... and I don't want to see the Cong out of power as tehy seem to be doing a gud job otherwise !!

Guys, lets somehow show our support for the students who are protesting against this !!!

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks