Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2018, 00:59   #46
BHPian

Re: Beware of scams - Even if you're an online SELLER! Fake paypal receipts etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by get2bid View Post
Bumping up an old thread for the benefit of the forum users.

So fellow bh-pians, please be aware that newer technologies are being used to scam people. An SMS from your bank about money being credited into your account might not be from your bank and might be a scamster trying to dupe you out of your hard-earned money. Stay safe and be vigilant.
What number did this text come from? The standard bank number or a random cell numer? Just curious.

Also, I have heard that there are fake PayTM reciept generator apps available that create the PayTM screenshots to show that a transfer has been made. Be cautious people.
Old 6th January 2018, 06:09   #47
BHPian

Not a random cell number. Looked genuine and pretty much like generated from a bank.
It is very very difficult to differentiate them apart. Trying to see if I can find it. Will post it once I am able to locate the SMS.
Old 8th January 2018, 14:02   #48
BHPian

Re: Beware of scams - Even if you're an online SELLER! Fake paypal receipts etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by get2bid View Post
Not a random cell number. Looked genuine and pretty much like generated from a bank.
It is very very difficult to differentiate them apart. Trying to see if I can find it. Will post it once I am able to locate the SMS.
Attaching the screenshot of the SMS I received. The only difference being that there was an additional Ref number in the SMS and it was sent to a phone number which is not registered with the Bank.
Beware of scams - Even if you're an online SELLER! Fake paypal receipts etc.-sms-alert.jpg
Old 8th January 2018, 14:12   #49
Senior - BHPian

I always login to my bank account via app and confirm if the amount is credited before proceeding forward, Never rely on SMS !

Its pretty easy these days to simply login to your bank account via your cell phone, Most leading banks have their own apps now, Hardly takes a minute and you can 100% verify the transaction.
Old 8th January 2018, 18:43   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
I always login to my bank account via app and confirm if the amount is credited before proceeding forward, Never rely on SMS !
That is exactly what I told the scammer which sent him off. This post is to highlight the fact that it is very easy to get tricked and if you are not careful, there is a very high chance of losing your hard earned money.
Old 4th December 2018, 07:08   #51

Sorry for bumping into old thread.
I have been looking for used Fortuner recently and found this ad on Olx which is a very hard to ignore deal.
Beware of scams - Even if you're an online SELLER! Fake paypal receipts etc.-imageuploadedbyteambhp1543886828.808343.jpg

It's a 2014 MT with 4x4, with 76k on the Odometer being offer at 12 Lacs and you can see in the reply seller seems to be willing to give it away at 11 Lacs as a final offer.

After I called the number, I figured out this is a scam to trick you in paying the token amount on the pretext of parking charges. The person, who calls himself as Dr. Sankar speaks with a East Asian English accent.
I was wondering is there a way to report such cases online? And will something useful happen upon reporting?
Can we get Owner's contact details from RTO? At least the owner needs to know that his car images and registration number are being used to cheat buyers.
Thanks,

Yogiraj.
Old 4th December 2018, 12:14   #52
Senior - BHPian

This seems to be a newer scam where the scamster hacks into someone's e-mail id, retreives his/her contacts and then creates a new-mail id from another domain. Then impersonating the person, he sends an e-mail.

For e.g if your contact's name is ABCEDF and e-mail id is abcdef@gmail.com, the hacker creates an e-mail account using the same name and same id at hotmail or any another e-mail service provider., let's say abcdef@hotmail.com and sender name also becomes ABCDEF. Writing style will also be the same, The only thing that will give it away is if you check the e-mail's domain name.

My dad received an e-mail apparently from one of our business client's personal secretary in her own writing style (fonts, punctuations and grammar was the same) and it seemed suspicious. Read on.

Coming to the point, my dad received an e-mail from the contact like this:
Quote:
On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 11:28 AM D**** S**** <d****s****@yahoo.co.in> wrote:
Hi,

Where are you right now, can i ask you for a favour?

D****
My dad knew something was wrong and he replied with a Yes.

The reply came like this:
Quote:
---------- Forwarded message ---------
Date: Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 2:06 PM
Subject: Re: HELP
To: XXXXX <XXXXXX@gmail.com>

Glad to read from you, It's me D**** S**** from XYZ Industries, ABCD Divsion it has been a terrible situation. I've been having some sort of network issues with my phone because I'm presently out of town and in between flights to Naingappur, Nepal. Just got to know from a relative of mine that her daughter is to undergo surgery (C/S) and there are already short of funds. Sorry to be bothering you with this, but obviously there's no one or nothing to turn to at this point. I have asked and the hospital would only proceed once a bank transfer has been validated by their bank.

I have tried using my internet banking options but the system keeps denying the transaction probably because I'm outside India. Please I will need you to help me with the transfer from your end and I shall have the money returned once I'm back home by next two week. I will like to know if you can help with this so I can send the required details.

P.S. Required funds for the surgery amounts to Rs 93,800. (But please transfer Rs 100,000/- just incase of miscellaneous) please let me know how much you can help me with now.

Waiting for your mail,
D****
MY dad knew this was a cheating attempt and simply replied by saying he does not have the funds not does he know here well to trust her with an amount like this.

That was the end of it.

I wanted to trouble criminals like this and went about trying to find out who this guy was by playing with him for the past one week, I made a fake e-mail id myself and replied to the original mail saying that "I can help". After a couple of mails later, the hacker gave away his bank details to transfer that amount.

Quote:
Date: Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 12:08 PM
To: Ramachandran Govindan <XXXXXX@gmail.com>

Extremely sorry for writing back late due to circumstances beyond my control here, Thank you so much. I have received the bank details. Below is all that is required for transfer:

Bank name: Union Bank of India
Account name: Chander Pal.
Account number: 727102010003650
ifsc code: ubin0572713
Pan number: AIKPA7072C.
Branch: Ghaziyabad raj nagar

Please forward the transfer slip (or screenshot of transfer) for confirmation so that the hospital can go on with the surgery. Thank you so much for your kindness. I'll be paying back once I'm back home by next two week.

Thanks,
D****

Sent: 30 November 2018 05:34 AM
To: D**** S****

Waiting for your bank dtls to transfer the funds
On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 2:06 PM D**** S**** <d*****s****@hotmail.com> wrote:
Glad to read from you, It's me D**** S**** from XYZ Industries, ABC Divsion it has been a terrible situation. I've been having some sort of network issues with my phone because I'm presently out of town and in between flights to Naingappur, Nepal. Just got to know from a relative of mine that her daughter is to undergo surgery (C/S) and there are already short of funds. Sorry to be bothering you with this, but obviously there's no one or nothing to turn to at this point. I have asked and the hospital would only proceed once a bank transfer has been validated by their bank.

I have tried using my internet banking options but the system keeps denying the transaction probably because I'm outside India. Please I will need you to help me with the transfer from your end and I shall have the money returned once I'm back home by next two week. I will like to know if you can help with this so I can send the required details.

P.S. Required funds for the surgery amounts to Rs 93,800. (But please transfer Rs 100,000/- just incase of miscellaneous) please let me know how much you can help me with now.

Waiting for your mail,
D****
I made a dummy Net banking NEFT transfer receipt and sent it to the guy yesterday evening stating since it was late yesterday, it will get credited to the account today morning.

Since then, I have received three desperate e-mails from him today at half an hour intervals stating :
1> he checked the account, he has not received funds.
2> asks me to check with my bank why no funds were credited to his bank account.
3> send him the debit alert SMS from my account.

Probably with the third e-mail, he suspected something is wrong. I sent him an e-mail stating that the funds have come back to my account for some technical reason.

That fool fell for that too and said he will check with the bank for that NEFT return. He gave me his alternate bank details or that He will "VERY GREATFUL & OBLIGING" If I can arrange for hard cash at Ghaziabad, now he is losing his impersonation skills and his "command and polish" over English.

Quote:
Date: Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 12:01 PM

I have received another bank details, Please i was told she's going through a lot of pain and the surgery will be done as soon as money has been transfered.

Bank name: Punjab national bank
Account Name: Babita Sharma
Account number: 2051000100415777
Ifsc code: Punb0205100
Pan number: DVZPS5749S
Branch: Shastri Nagar Ghaziabad

Please forward the transfer slip (or screenshot of transfer) for confirmation.

Or If you can arrange cash here in ghaziyabad, I will be very greatful and obliging

Thanks,
D***
I will play with him further and drag this drama further because such criminals deserve to be duped.

Please be careful when you received e-mails like this from your contacts asking for extremely urgent funds transfer or card details. No matter how urgent it seems, please speak to them personally and check. Criminals can go to any lengths to make money like this.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 4th December 2018 at 12:23.
skanchan95 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 12:32   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
This -------SNIP----- like this.
Tell him the banking pipe is facing some blockages, and it needs a transactional push from the other end to clear it. This can only be accomplished by sending 5% of the blocked transaction to come through from the receivig entity.
As soon as the blockage is cleared, the sent transaction will clear immediately in a positive flow as governed by RBI guidelines in this matter.
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 16:33   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Tell him the banking pipe is facing some blockages, and it needs a transactional push from the other end to clear it. This can only be accomplished by sending 5% of the blocked transaction to come through from the receivig entity.
As soon as the blockage is cleared, the sent transaction will clear immediately in a positive flow as governed by RBI guidelines in this matter.
Ha ha ha. May be tomorrow I will send him that. He seems dumb, he might fall for that too.
For now, I have sent another fake Net Banking NEFT transfer receipt to Babita ji's account and asked him to check tomorrow morning at 9 AM. I gave him the reason that the first failed NEFT got credited to my account late so the fresh NEFT was late. Let him spend another sleepless night dreaming about laying his hands on One Lakh Rupees
Beware of scams - Even if you're an online SELLER! Fake paypal receipts etc.-neft_new_ac_041218.jpg
Old 4th December 2018, 19:00   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I made a fake e-mail id myself...
Quote:
I have sent another fake Net Banking NEFT transfer receipt...
I am no one to question you on your modus operandi, but just a word of caution - what you are doing is unethical; probably illegal too. The other party might very well be a seasoned fraud. However, the way you are trying to catch him off guard by paying him (no pun intended) in his own coin is an unnecessary risk I believe.
Quote:
I will play with him further and drag this drama further because such criminals deserve to be duped.
Please put an end to this. Also, do refrain from sharing these details openly, specially on this forum. A lot of young minds read these posts and may get egged on to try some similar (mis)adventures.

PS: I mean no disrespect to you by posting this. I appreciate your quest, but can't say the same of the method used.

Thanks
dailydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 21:30   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
I am no one to question you on your modus operandi, but just a word of caution - what you are doing is unethical; probably illegal too. The other party might very well be a seasoned fraud. However, the way you are trying to catch him off guard by paying him (no pun intended) in his own coin is an unnecessary risk I believe.
I appreciate you concern but I see nothing unethical in trying to harmlessly fool a conman, unlawful may be. But then, the way our law enforcement agencies work, such conmen never get caught. In some cases, they end up bribing the right people to get away. In most cases, they transfer that amount to other bank or withdraw the amount immediately upon receipt of the remittance. That way, it becomes difficult to trace and get the money back even if the bank wanted to.

I know these fellows are masters at cheating others but for once they should be made to suffer from a little bit of anxiety of. God knows how many innocent people have these people conned and how many people have lost their life savings to these people. I have similarly fooled those 'debit card will get blocked' scam jokers, and well, it felt good to fool such scoundrels.

We almost fell prey to a similar impersonation e-mail seven years ago. Long story, but as it was a weekend, we could get that remittance at the beneficiary bank blocked thanks to a co-operative branch manager. Later through oue sources, we came to know that the account belonged to a fellow who had zero balance in his account and had not paid back his loan and card dues at other banks. A case was registered, but nothing ever happened.

I am wondering if i should send an e-mail to both bank branches of the scamsters alerting them about the fraud their supposed customers are involved in. Again, those accounts may not even be with those branches. So it may end up being a wild goose chase for them also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Please put an end to this. Also, do refrain from sharing these details openly, specially on this forum. A lot of young minds read these posts and may get egged on to try some similar (mis)adventures.
My intention was never to give ideas to twisted minds, but rather make the readers aware of such e-mail impersonation frauds. It is very easy to fall prey to such frauds.

The end is near as I am running out of excuses but guess what? That fool still hasn't understood. He said today evening that if the remittance fails tomorrow also, he is willing to take cash somewhere near the hospital or come and arrange to collect the amount place of my choice. What a hopelessly desperate fool!!!

Thanks again for your advice and concern.
Old 5th December 2018, 11:52   #57
BHPian

Quote:
I appreciate you concern but I see nothing unethical in trying to harmlessly fool a conman, unlawful may be.

I see no harm in this. Every minute the guy spends on you is one less minute he spends scamming someone else. Several times I've got these guys to give me their bank details and I've shared the same to the concerned banks as possible fraud.

For more ideas how to deal with these con men, check out

https://www.419eater.com/html/letters.htm

These guys are effin hilarious!
GeneralJazz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 14:04   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post

I see no harm in this. Every minute the guy spends on you is one less minute he spends scamming someone else. Several times I've got these guys to give me their bank details and I've shared the same to the concerned banks as possible fraud.

For more ideas how to deal with these con men, check out

https://www.419eater.com/html/letters.htm

These guys are effin hilarious!
Truly Hilarious!!!!

Meanwhile, I wanted to end it today morning, but the guy's desperation is getting hilarious. Sure enough, there was a mail in the morning:

Quote:
Date: Tue, Dec 5, 2018 at 12:34 AM
To: Ramachandran Govindan <*******@gmail.com>

I really don't know what is going on with the transfer and i did not receive the money, Please i would rather prefer you to make a direct cash deposit to the account. Please i don't want to loss her because she's in serious pain at the moment.

Thanks,
D****
I informed the scamster that the NEFT done to Babita's account has returned back and the bank has informed that it could only because of three reasons:
1. When there is mismatch in account no & account holder name or if IFSC Code is wrong
2. Account number is incomplete or digits are mixed up while entering details for the NEFT
3. Withdrawals/Deposits to the Beneficiary account has been blocked by the bank branch

I also told him I am too scared to carry that much cash in hand for depositing it to another branch and that his bank will ask for his PAN card copy, so cannot deposit cash.

Without even bothering to check the non-sense I had written in the e-mail, the dumb guy comes back to me within two minutes with new bank details ,which he claims to be of the Hospital's "Operating Surgeon", who will do the operation on his/her niece.
Quote:

Date: Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 10:34 AM

Then you please try transfer to hospital surgeon account. Here is the new bank details of the operating surgeon, who will do the operation, below:

BANK OF BARODA
NAME: CHINGOM KONYAK
ACC/NO: 10170100042473
IFSC CODE: BARBODIMAPU
BRANCH : DIMAPUR

Thanks,
D****
So suddenly the action shifts from Ghaziabad to Dimapur !!!! I suspect that this is the handiwork of a group of college or high school going kids. I now have bank details of three scamsters and I will report them to the respective branches soon. I expect nothing good to come out of it, and let the bank branch decide what to do with them.

So I troll the guy further telling him that I have urgent work in my bank branch and cannot do Net banking NEFT, but anticipating delay from him to get the doctor's bank details, I have carried my cheque book with me to do the NEFT from the bank. I further ask him if I need to mention "Dr." before "Chingom Konyak" in Beneficiary Name on the form? because if it mismatches, it might bounce back and ask him please check & confirm with the doctor.

Dumb fellow didn't even realize that for an NEFT these days the beneficiary name is never checked by the system .

Quote:
Date: Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 10:46 AM

Just Chingom Konyak.

Thanks,
D****
Two hours went by and I didn't reply back to him. Then suddenly two back to back e-mails asking me the bank NEFT slip and in the next mail, he asks for the UTR no.

Quote:
Date: Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 1:02 PM

Please forward the bank transfer slip or screen shot of transfer for confirmation

Thanks,
D****

Date: Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 1:13 PM

Please let me know if the transfer has been done and please give me the UTR no.

Thanks,
D****
I reply back stating that my fictional bank's server was down because of connectivity issues. So all their transactions are stuck. I waited for 2 hours in the bank to see that the NEFT got done in my presence. The fictional bank manager where I am a "Gold Club" member, then told me that by today afternoon internet connectivity will be restored and his NEFT would be done by evening.

To convince him of my earnesty towards the cause of transferring the amount to him, I say I am so sorry for all of the banking problems, the situation is beyond my control and that I will not rest till the amount is transferred to him.

I expect him to reply back in the evening to enquire about the NEFT.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 5th December 2018 at 14:20.
Old 5th December 2018, 14:12   #59
BHPian

Please have him come to collect the cash from you and have your local beat officer close by so they can nab him.

I do not have any sympathy for these scumbags from Nigeria and they are starting to infest every corner of India now. I cannot begin to explain to you how much harm these 419 scammers do to our online businesses on a day to day basis. It's not funny.

Please use every opportunity to nab them and their accomplices.

Last edited by rovingeye : 5th December 2018 at 14:19.
rovingeye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 20:32   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingeye View Post
Please have him come to collect the cash from you and have your local beat officer close by so they can nab him.

I do not have any sympathy for these scumbags from Nigeria and they are starting to infest every corner of India now. I cannot begin to explain to you how much harm these 419 scammers do to our online businesses on a day to day basis. It's not funny.

Please use every opportunity to nab them and their accomplices.
Yeah well, I know a few cases where some indian exporters lost huge amounts of money to such scamsters. I know of a innocent guy who committed suicide because he was held morally and financially accountable for the fraud. So yes, such scams have a very dark angle which these scamsters are fully aware of.

In the debit/credit card scams, the scamsters are Indians who boast that they can never get caught. I am sure in this case, the fellow is an Indian, considering the account details he gave.

Coming to our scamster friend's case, I gave another excuse stating the bank had its connectivity restored at 4 PM and needed Dr Konyak's PAN no. for the NEFT to be "approved" from their end, without PAN no, NEFT could not be done.

I offered him cash also and in the initial stages, he seemed ready to accept cash. But now he seems reluctant, mostly because he doesn't know where I am based.

Just look at the ridiculous excuse he gave to avoid a meeting. It gives one a fair idea of how twisted the mind of this scamster is. In this case, blinded by the illusion of having caught a bakra to squeeze easy money, he is probably not able to think straight, doesn't realise how stupid his excuse is and how incredibly foolish he is to fall for the repeated lies that have been fed to him.

Quote:
----------Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tuesday, December 5, 2018 at 5:02 PM
To: Ramachandran Govindan <XXXXX@gmail.com>

Hospital only want payment to be paid through relative's or operating surgeon's account because it's a huge amount. Only little amount receive by cash in the hospital.

PAN of Chingom Konyak is Gazpm0293g. He was busy with a surgery so he could give the PAN no. only now.

Please i hope to hear from good news by tomorrow as i cannot bare to loss her.

Thanks,

D####
To this, I replied that I found it strange that the hospital does not accept cash, but i understand that some hospitals have such rules and we have to follow what their rules. But sadly to our bad luck, NEFT cut-off time of 5 PM passed by the time he gave the PAN no and the bank will do the NEFT to "Dr. Konyak" tomorrow after 10 AM.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 5th December 2018 at 20:41.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks